Why is he so popular?

#1 Posted by spideyfan69 (170 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly don't see what is so great about him. His powers are weird, his villains aren't all that impresssive, he cheated on his wife that he drove insane. and the guy just seems like a psycho. Can anyone tell me why they like this guy?

#2 Posted by Joesoef95 (315 posts) - - Show Bio

He's one of the most consistently well written character in Marvel. Try reading Born Again story by Frank Miller

#3 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's a consistently compelling and intriguing characters that has had a wide variety of writers do extraordinary comics with him as the central character.

#4 Posted by The Stegman (24323 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's a consistently compelling and intriguing characters that has had a wide variety of writers do extraordinary comics with him as the central character.

This...and he's blind, and you'd be a jerk to say anything bad about a blind guy.
#5 Posted by daredevil21134 (11752 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joesoef95 said:

He's one of the most consistently well written character in Marvel. Try reading Born Again story by Frank Miller

Exactly.

#6 Posted by Vance Astro (91220 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil's popularity in the 90's-Early 2000's>>>>>>>>>Daredevil's current popularity. I'll tell you what makes him so popular when he's doing better.For now his hovering around "canceltown".

Moderator
#7 Posted by daredevil21134 (11752 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

Daredevil's popularity in the 90's-Early 2000's>>>>>>>>>Daredevil's current popularity. I'll tell you what makes him so popular when he's doing better.For now his hovering around "canceltown".

Are his sales low?I

#8 Posted by Vance Astro (91220 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:

@Vance Astro said:

Daredevil's popularity in the 90's-Early 2000's>>>>>>>>>Daredevil's current popularity. I'll tell you what makes him so popular when he's doing better.For now his hovering around "canceltown".

Are his sales low?I

They are up and down, but yea. They've been pretty low since Brubaker's run. 
 
@spideyfan69 said:
I honestly don't see what is so great about him. His powers are weird, his villains aren't all that impresssive, he cheated on his wife that he drove insane. and the guy just seems like a psycho. Can anyone tell me why they like this guy?
What's weird about Daredevil's powers? They work on the scientific theory of the other senses being heightened if one is lost. Stick trained Daredevil to be able to use radar sense which is basically maps out Matt's surroundings in his mind so that he knows what's around him. Daredevil doesn't have many villains left, alot of them are dead,crippled,or in that grey area between hero and villain. That's why Mark Waid is creating new villains for him. Daredevil also shares villains with Spider-Man and considering that Spider-Man is superior to Matt and many ways and his villains are tailor made for him, it IS impressive that he is able to fight well against those characters. Matt didn't drive his wife to insanity, Mr.Fear did. He went and saw his wife faithfully even though she hadn't made any progress. Yes, he did end up cheating but chances are, Milla was never going to come out of it. I personally like Daredevil because he does more with less. Without eye sight, without gadgets and technology, and without the same level of training and intellect other street levelers have, Daredevil always makes a way. He's well respected among other heroes for what he does, he's interesting, and not overpowered. His story doesn't come without tragedy and heartache. In short, I love a good underdog story.
Moderator
#9 Posted by TDK_1997 (14889 posts) - - Show Bio

He is a well written character that delivers interesting stories and moments and deserves to be so popular.But right now he is actually not that popular.

#10 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

Daredevil's popularity in the 90's-Early 2000's>>>>>>>>>Daredevil's current popularity. I'll tell you what makes him so popular when he's doing better.For now his hovering around "canceltown".

Woah. I thought ATM it was one of the best-selling titles.

#11 Posted by daredevil21134 (11752 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

@Vance Astro said:

Daredevil's popularity in the 90's-Early 2000's>>>>>>>>>Daredevil's current popularity. I'll tell you what makes him so popular when he's doing better.For now his hovering around "canceltown".

Woah. I thought ATM it was one of the best-selling titles.

Nah,people just overreact to it

#12 Posted by RoboShark (1271 posts) - - Show Bio

Waid's been killing it on DD since he got on.

#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33336 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:

Daredevil's popularity in the 90's-Early 2000's>>>>>>>>>Daredevil's current popularity. I'll tell you what makes him so popular when he's doing better.For now his hovering around "canceltown".

Oh thank god
#14 Posted by daredevil21134 (11752 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Vance Astro said:

Daredevil's popularity in the 90's-Early 2000's>>>>>>>>>Daredevil's current popularity. I'll tell you what makes him so popular when he's doing better.For now his hovering around "canceltown".

Oh thank god

He' still probably not going to be taken off the book

#15 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33336 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Vance Astro said:

Daredevil's popularity in the 90's-Early 2000's>>>>>>>>>Daredevil's current popularity. I'll tell you what makes him so popular when he's doing better.For now his hovering around "canceltown".

Oh thank god

He' still probably not going to be taken off the book

Can't they give him someone else to make a joke out of and give it to Ruka?
#16 Posted by daredevil21134 (11752 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Vance Astro said:

Daredevil's popularity in the 90's-Early 2000's>>>>>>>>>Daredevil's current popularity. I'll tell you what makes him so popular when he's doing better.For now his hovering around "canceltown".

Oh thank god

He' still probably not going to be taken off the book

Can't they give him someone else to make a joke out of and give it to Ruka?

Well,Rucka is leaving Punisher.I wouldn't mind Greg Rucka or Remender to write him

#17 Posted by SoA (4828 posts) - - Show Bio

his current series kinda lame . but daredevil is a modern day ninja , he is pretty cool but like i said his new series is lame , you should check out older stuff

#18 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33336 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Vance Astro said:

Daredevil's popularity in the 90's-Early 2000's>>>>>>>>>Daredevil's current popularity. I'll tell you what makes him so popular when he's doing better.For now his hovering around "canceltown".

Oh thank god

He' still probably not going to be taken off the book

Can't they give him someone else to make a joke out of and give it to Ruka?

Well,Rucka is leaving Punisher.I wouldn't mind Greg Rucka or Remender to write him

Yea after War Zone, I would love him to come to DD. Wonder what he will actually be writing. I doubt Remender would do DD now since he's going up in the world. 
#19 Posted by Katie24 (488 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

@Funrush said:

@Vance Astro said:

Daredevil's popularity in the 90's-Early 2000's>>>>>>>>>Daredevil's current popularity. I'll tell you what makes him so popular when he's doing better.For now his hovering around "canceltown".

Woah. I thought ATM it was one of the best-selling titles.

Nah,people just overreact to it

Waid just won a ton of Eisner awards for his work and all the critics agree that his Daredevil run has been great. It ranked 55 on the Previews Bestsellers Top 100 list, beating out Wolverine, FF, Mighty Thor, Invincible Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Venom,even Deadpool. So I doubt it's anywhere near "canceltowns" zip code and I would hardly call it overrated. It's fine if you don't particularly like the character or Waid's run on the book, but that doen't mean ever one else is overreacting to it. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just sayin.....

#20 Edited by daredevil21134 (11752 posts) - - Show Bio

@Katie24 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Funrush said:

@Vance Astro said:

Daredevil's popularity in the 90's-Early 2000's>>>>>>>>>Daredevil's current popularity. I'll tell you what makes him so popular when he's doing better.For now his hovering around "canceltown".

Woah. I thought ATM it was one of the best-selling titles.

Nah,people just overreact to it

Waid just won a ton of Eisner awards for his work and all the critics agree that his Daredevil run has been great. It ranked 55 on the Previews Bestsellers Top 100 list, beating out Wolverine, FF, Mighty Thor, Invincible Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Venom,even Deadpool. So I doubt it's anywhere near "canceltowns" zip code and I would hardly call it overrated. It's fine if you don't particularly like the character or Waid's run on the book, but that doen't mean ever one else is overreacting to it. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just sayin.....

Personally I hate it,but if you like it, its fine by me.It dosen't surprise me that a lot more people like DD these dyas since he's acting like Spider-Man

#21 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

@Katie24 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Funrush said:

@Vance Astro said:

Daredevil's popularity in the 90's-Early 2000's>>>>>>>>>Daredevil's current popularity. I'll tell you what makes him so popular when he's doing better.For now his hovering around "canceltown".

Woah. I thought ATM it was one of the best-selling titles.

Nah,people just overreact to it

Waid just won a ton of Eisner awards for his work and all the critics agree that his Daredevil run has been great. It ranked 55 on the Previews Bestsellers Top 100 list, beating out Wolverine, FF, Mighty Thor, Invincible Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Venom,even Deadpool. So I doubt it's anywhere near "canceltowns" zip code and I would hardly call it overrated. It's fine if you don't particularly like the character or Waid's run on the book, but that doen't mean ever one else is overreacting to it. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just sayin.....

Personally I hate it,but if you like it, its fine by me.It dosen't surprise that a lot more people like DD these dyas since he's acting like Spider-Man

How's he acting like Spiderman?

#22 Posted by daredevil21134 (11752 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Katie24 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Funrush said:

@Vance Astro said:

Daredevil's popularity in the 90's-Early 2000's>>>>>>>>>Daredevil's current popularity. I'll tell you what makes him so popular when he's doing better.For now his hovering around "canceltown".

Woah. I thought ATM it was one of the best-selling titles.

Nah,people just overreact to it

Waid just won a ton of Eisner awards for his work and all the critics agree that his Daredevil run has been great. It ranked 55 on the Previews Bestsellers Top 100 list, beating out Wolverine, FF, Mighty Thor, Invincible Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Venom,even Deadpool. So I doubt it's anywhere near "canceltowns" zip code and I would hardly call it overrated. It's fine if you don't particularly like the character or Waid's run on the book, but that doen't mean ever one else is overreacting to it. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just sayin.....

Personally I hate it,but if you like it, its fine by me.It dosen't surprise that a lot more people like DD these dyas since he's acting like Spider-Man

How's he acting like Spiderman?

Making jokes when he's fighting.But there other things that annoy such as him wearing a sweater that says"i'm not Daredevil".Tongue kissing a Mob bride after crashing a wedding.I could go on but i'll stop here.

#23 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33336 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:

@Funrush said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Katie24 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Funrush said:

@Vance Astro said:

Daredevil's popularity in the 90's-Early 2000's>>>>>>>>>Daredevil's current popularity. I'll tell you what makes him so popular when he's doing better.For now his hovering around "canceltown".

Woah. I thought ATM it was one of the best-selling titles.

Nah,people just overreact to it

Waid just won a ton of Eisner awards for his work and all the critics agree that his Daredevil run has been great. It ranked 55 on the Previews Bestsellers Top 100 list, beating out Wolverine, FF, Mighty Thor, Invincible Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Venom,even Deadpool. So I doubt it's anywhere near "canceltowns" zip code and I would hardly call it overrated. It's fine if you don't particularly like the character or Waid's run on the book, but that doen't mean ever one else is overreacting to it. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just sayin.....

Personally I hate it,but if you like it, its fine by me.It dosen't surprise that a lot more people like DD these dyas since he's acting like Spider-Man

How's he acting like Spiderman?

Making jokes when he's fighting.But there other things that annoy such as him wearing a sweater that says"i'm not Daredevil".Tongue kissing a Mob bride after crashing a wedding.I could go on but i'll stop here.

Waid took one of Marvels only crime/noir inspired books and scrapped everything that made it different and turned it in to a generic superhero/spider-man clone book
#24 Posted by Katie24 (488 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Funrush said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Katie24 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Funrush said:

@Vance Astro said:

Daredevil's popularity in the 90's-Early 2000's>>>>>>>>>Daredevil's current popularity. I'll tell you what makes him so popular when he's doing better.For now his hovering around "canceltown".

Woah. I thought ATM it was one of the best-selling titles.

Nah,people just overreact to it

Waid just won a ton of Eisner awards for his work and all the critics agree that his Daredevil run has been great. It ranked 55 on the Previews Bestsellers Top 100 list, beating out Wolverine, FF, Mighty Thor, Invincible Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Venom,even Deadpool. So I doubt it's anywhere near "canceltowns" zip code and I would hardly call it overrated. It's fine if you don't particularly like the character or Waid's run on the book, but that doen't mean ever one else is overreacting to it. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just sayin.....

Personally I hate it,but if you like it, its fine by me.It dosen't surprise that a lot more people like DD these dyas since he's acting like Spider-Man

How's he acting like Spiderman?

Making jokes when he's fighting.But there other things that annoy such as him wearing a sweater that says"i'm not Daredevil".Tongue kissing a Mob bride after crashing a wedding.I could go on but i'll stop here.

Waid took one of Marvels only crime/noir inspired books and scrapped everything that made it different and turned it in to a generic superhero/spider-man clone book

I disagree. I really enjoy it and I think it will go down as one of best Daredevil runs.

#25 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33336 posts) - - Show Bio
@Katie24 wer you a fan of DD before this run?
#26 Posted by Bogey (946 posts) - - Show Bio

It's because of Ben Affleck

#27 Posted by doomsilver (643 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really like him that much. His powers are cool, And Shadowland was alright because of the street-level heroes.

#28 Posted by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil is popular? I actually thought he was an underrated character with a much smaller fanbase compared to other Marvel characters.

#29 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I dont get it either. All the blind acrobatic martial artists with super senses in my neighborhood are really popular to and I'm like, why?

Moderator
#30 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have to say because he fights for the little guy. He's a lawyer who works for practically free and nearly his entire comic book career he's been exclusive to one neighborhood in New York. Also his power set is pretty dang awesome.

#31 Posted by CaptainCockblock (3672 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel has always taken pride in starting the trend of characters who are 'flawed'. Daredevil is the very definition of that. As Frank Miller put it, "Most superheroes are defined by what they can do. Daredevil is defined by what he CAN'T do." Despite everything that goes wrong in his life, everything that has gone wrong, most of which he blames himself for, and rightly so, he always finds a way to get back up and face it. Despite the living nightmare he wakes up to every day, he manages to overcome and fight for what's right. Not to mention, he's always in the fight. Both of his identities are constantly engaged in stopping injustice. He gives himself 100% to his cause despite the incredible toll it takes on him personally, and he deals with the consequences of that choice every day, especially when he fails. So no, Daredevil's not perfect. He's not always going to be able to save everyone, and because of the choices he made, he's not going to live a happy life. He's human.

#32 Posted by daredevil21134 (11752 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

Yeah I dont get it either. All the blind acrobatic martial artists with super senses in my neighborhood are really popular to and I'm like, why?

lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.