Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4766 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

Who Should Take Over Next?

RawrImADragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RawrImADragon

So Daredevil has attracted many top talents in the character's almost 50 year existence. Next year will be that 50th year and I was wondering... if Mark Waid steps down before then, who should take over and write the stories that'll kick off the second half of the character's way to a century's worth of stories? One rule though: you can't name a writer who has already touched Daredevil anywhere along his three volumes. No Miller, no Brubaker, no Bendis, etc...

Allow me to throw the first name out there: Jason Aaron. It kind of puzzles me why Marvel has yet to ask this guy to work on the character. He's already worked on two other big names in the Marvel Knights roster, namely Punisher and Ghost Rider. He seems to get the street level characters and he also knows how to build great drama and tension, just take a look at his current take on Thor. Let's not even forget how great Scalped was. So yeah, any other ideas? You can put down any writer who currently still writes regardless of the current company they work for. Can't wait to here your guys' suggestions.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Billy Batson

Aaron would be great.
    So would be Brian Azzarello, David Lapham, Peter Milligan, Greg Rucka and Matt Wagner.
    BB

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By daredevil21134

@RawrImADragon: I am absolutely sick of Mark Waid!!! So thanks for making this thread.My pick would be Rick Remender.

guardiandevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By guardiandevil

@RawrImADragon: I personally have not read Aaron's Ghost Rider or Punisher, but I will look into it eventually. Interesting choice though. I would have to say based off his work on Gotham Central and Punisher currently, Greg Rucka would be my pick. Awesome thread btw

RawrImADragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RawrImADragon

@Billy Batson said:

Aaron would be great.
    So would be Brian Azzarello, David Lapham, Peter Milligan, Greg Rucka and Matt Wagner.
    BB

@guardiandevil said:

@RawrImADragon: I personally have not read Aaron's Ghost Rider or Punisher, but I will look into it eventually. Interesting choice though. I would have to say based off his work on Gotham Central and Punisher currently, Greg Rucka would be my pick. Awesome thread btw

Of course! Greg Rucka! You guys are right. That's an even better answer than Jason Aaron. He's great. Peter Milligan is an interesting choice as well. Would love to see what he can do with Daredevil.

@daredevil21134 said:

@RawrImADragon: I am absolutely sick of Mark Waid!!! So thanks for making this thread.My pick would be Rick Remender.

Ooo Remender is a fantastic choice. I loved Uncanny X-Force.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Billy Batson

@RawrImADragon:

The only thing that Pete would need his free control from the editing, that's when he writes the most fantastic stuff. If you're interested what can he do with these types of characters, you should check out his Batman/Detective run and Human Target.
    BB

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TDK_1997

I think that Aaron would do a great job,so yeah he's a good pick but also Rick Remender can do something interesting also.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By daredevil21134

@RawrImADragon said:

@Billy Batson said:

Aaron would be great.
    BB

@guardiandevil said:

Of course! Greg Rucka! You guys are right. That's an even better answer than Jason Aaron. He's great. Peter Milligan is an interesting choice as well. Would love to see what he can do with Daredevil.

@daredevil21134 said:

Ooo Remender is a fantastic choice. I loved Uncanny X-Force.

I liked the way he wrote DD in AVX

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By tupiaz

@Billy Batson said:

Aaron would be great.
    BB

I don't hope Matt Wagner will be on DD. At least he should get another artist. His Batman isn't that beautiful(quite bad IMO) and sometimes have to many unimportant panels.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Billy Batson

@tupiaz:

Meant just as a writer.
    Come to think of it, there aren't any creators who do both writing and illustrating on mainstream titles anymore.
    BB

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tupiaz

@Billy Batson said:

@tupiaz:

Meant just as a writer.
    Come to think of it, there aren't any creators who do both writing and illustrating on mainstream titles anymore.
    BB

Well he did write and draw Monster Men and Mad Monk. That is "only six to seven years ago.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Billy Batson

@tupiaz:

I was referring to ongoings. Those were minis.
    BB

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
    Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

With Bendis and Mack on the mini-series at the moment, I'd like to think it's because Marvel want Mack to try on the DD crown. His art may be a little too different for the ongoing, but I think he'd do a great job at writing solo, taking it to Miller depths in terms of darkness.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Billy Batson

@Manbehindthewires said:

With Bendis and Mack on the mini-series at the moment, I'd like to think it's because Marvel want Mack to try on the DD crown. His art may be a little too different for the ongoing, but I think he'd do a great job at writing solo, taking it to Miller depths in terms of darkness.

Ah, but Mack already wrote on his on before he teamed up with Bendis for the first time.
    BB

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tupiaz

@Billy Batson said:

@tupiaz:

I was referring to ongoings. Those were minis.
    BB

I know there a minis. I still thought of them as mainstream. Anyway no their don't seem to be a culture of writing and drawing the same comics on ongoings. Probably to much work. I mean back in the day you could draw less and not very detailed background which made it easier to do both jobs.

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
    Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@Billy Batson: Thanks for drawing this to my attention! Had no idea Mack had solo'd DD books before, I'll have to pick some up! Any you recommend? Only started picking up Mack stuff with Kabuki (hence avatar). Been loving his stuff on End of Days!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#17  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Billy Batson said:

Aaron would be great.
    BB

I would actually shit my pants if Azz got a chance to write Daredevil

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tupiaz

@Manbehindthewires said:

@Billy Batson: Thanks for drawing this to my attention! Had no idea Mack had solo'd DD books before, I'll have to pick some up! Any you recommend? Only started picking up Mack stuff with Kabuki (hence avatar). Been loving his stuff on End of Days!

He did both Daredevil/Echo: Parts of a Hole and Daredevil/Echo: Vision Quest The first with Joe Quesada the later solo. As you can see they a both collected in trades. I can recommend the first one. Haven't read the second one as far as I remember. The hole idea with the team behind Ends of days was to collect a DD all star team.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Billy Batson

@tupiaz:

Well Walt Simonson wrote and drew Orion about that years ago. And things haven't changed that much.

@Manbehindthewires:

His run wasn't that long though. Issues #9-15 of the second volume.

@Jonny_Anonymous:

Haha. Too bad he's a DC exclusive.
    BB

RawrImADragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RawrImADragon

ahh art choices are interesting as well, guys. we should put that up for discussion too. i would personally be really excited if greg capullo would do a couple issues of daredevil.

Rabidwolfdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Rabidwolfdog

I was going to say Jason Aaron , because he had me picking up Ghost Rider, a book I was kind of on and off with, but when he wrote it, I kept picking it up because of his random kinda quirky dark writing that I feel may be hit or miss with Daredevil, it would be interesting to see if he pulls it off. Rick Remender and Greg Rucka are good picks but just because they were successful with Punisher doesn't mean its good for DD . Outside of the Marvel think tank, maybe Garth Ennis?

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GRANT MORRISON!!!!! But jeff lemire could be very good or paul dini......... Or maybe justin gray with jimmy palmiotti

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Scot Snyder...a guy can dream can't he!?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff Lemire or Rick Remender

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.