Update on Daredevil Reboot

#1 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadline reports that Twentieth Century Fox has set David James Kelly to rewrite the script for the Daredevil reboot to be directed by David Slade (The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, 30 Days of Night).

The film will adapt Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli's "Born Again" storyline, which ran in Daredevil #227-233 in 1986. The story involves an intense personal attack on Matt Murdock's friends and family following Wilson Fisk (aka The Kingpin) learning his true identity.

The studio has not set a release date for the new film yet.
 

any thoughts??
#2 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it the same guy that wrote the first one? Because that's the formula for success.

#3 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

That's cool, I guess (I was hoping for a Man Without Fear adaptation). Still, I'll be cautiously optimistic, just like I am with all things Fox.

#4 Posted by daredevil21134 (10842 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

That's cool, I guess (I was hoping for a Man Without Fear adaptation). Still, I'll be cautiously optimistic, just like I am with all things Fox.

I am not sure how well born again will do on film.It was a great comic story though

#5 Posted by TheCannon (17905 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope it's good. Daredevil could be an amazing film series, but they need to do it right.

Online
#6 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

That's cool, I guess (I was hoping for a Man Without Fear adaptation). Still, I'll be cautiously optimistic, just like I am with all things Fox.

I am not sure how well born again will do on film.It was a great comic story though

Agreed. Somewhere on one of the threads I wrote my take on a DD movie. It combined Man Without Fear and Born Again, with Fisk as your main villain, and Elektra and Gladiator as his assassins. Owl was in it too, lol.

#7 Posted by daredevil21134 (10842 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

That's cool, I guess (I was hoping for a Man Without Fear adaptation). Still, I'll be cautiously optimistic, just like I am with all things Fox.

I am not sure how well born again will do on film.It was a great comic story though

Agreed. Somewhere on one of the threads I wrote my take on a DD movie. It combined Man Without Fear and Born Again, with Fisk as your main villain, and Elektra and Gladiator as his assassins. Owl was in it too, lol.

I like that idea

#8 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Count me in.

#9 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a bad idea. I'm curious who'll be in the running to play Murdock. I wouldn't hate to see Jensen Ackles.

Moderator
#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32703 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

That's cool, I guess (I was hoping for a Man Without Fear adaptation). Still, I'll be cautiously optimistic, just like I am with all things Fox.

I am not sure how well born again will do on film.It was a great comic story though

Yea that's how I feel also
#11 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

Born again just wouldn't work as a reboot story. you need to have established a history between daredevil and kingpin for it to work.

I can see this being as disasterous as Punisher war zone

#12 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Born Again means Karen Page. Good. I like her better than Elektra anyhow.

#13 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

That's cool, I guess (I was hoping for a Man Without Fear adaptation). Still, I'll be cautiously optimistic, just like I am with all things Fox.

Man without Fear is a badass origin story, and just an awesome story in general, as much as I would like to see it adapted, I highly doubt it due to the fact he is only actually "Daredevil" in costume, for one page
 
@X35 said:

Born again just wouldn't work as a reboot story. you need to have established a history between daredevil and kingpin for it to work.

I can see this being as disasterous as Punisher war zone


I agree with this completely
#14 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@Gambit1024 said:

That's cool, I guess (I was hoping for a Man Without Fear adaptation). Still, I'll be cautiously optimistic, just like I am with all things Fox.

Man without Fear is a badass origin story, and just an awesome story in general, as much as I would like to see it adapted, I highly doubt it due to the fact he is only actually "Daredevil" in costume, for one page

Well obviously they'd have to retool that part, lol. Maybe instead of the black suit he wore, it could be replaced with the "boxer" look, then at the very end, he adopts the red suit we all know and love today. It'd be great to see in live-action, but there's always the possibility of it being a badass animated movie.

#15 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

@cattlebattle said:

@Gambit1024 said:

That's cool, I guess (I was hoping for a Man Without Fear adaptation). Still, I'll be cautiously optimistic, just like I am with all things Fox.

Man without Fear is a badass origin story, and just an awesome story in general, as much as I would like to see it adapted, I highly doubt it due to the fact he is only actually "Daredevil" in costume, for one page

Well obviously they'd have to retool that part, lol. Maybe instead of the black suit he wore, it could be replaced with the "boxer" look, then at the very end, he adopts the red suit we all know and love today. It'd be great to see in live-action, but there's always the possibility of it being a badass animated movie.

Marvel would never do it, they are too big on grabbing the kiddies attention and not actually pleasing the fans. The darkest animated movie they did was Hulk vs and it wasn't even that dark.  
 
Daredevil has one of the best origin stories in my opinion, ninjas and free running are popular these days and Daredevil is essentially a modern ninja  that uses a city like a jungle gym, It would be a shame if Millers origin story never saw the light of day
#16 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@cattlebattle said:

@Gambit1024 said:

That's cool, I guess (I was hoping for a Man Without Fear adaptation). Still, I'll be cautiously optimistic, just like I am with all things Fox.

Man without Fear is a badass origin story, and just an awesome story in general, as much as I would like to see it adapted, I highly doubt it due to the fact he is only actually "Daredevil" in costume, for one page

Well obviously they'd have to retool that part, lol. Maybe instead of the black suit he wore, it could be replaced with the "boxer" look, then at the very end, he adopts the red suit we all know and love today. It'd be great to see in live-action, but there's always the possibility of it being a badass animated movie.

Marvel would never do it, they are too big on grabbing the kiddies attention and not actually pleasing the fans. The darkest animated movie they did was Hulk vs and it wasn't even that dark. Daredevil has one of the best origin stories in my opinion, ninjas and free running are popular these days and Daredevil is essentially a modern ninja that uses a city like a jungle gym, It would be a shame if Millers origin story never saw the light of day

I know they wouldn't probably do it, but I'm just saying it'd be cool. And I agree, DD's origin is one of the best that Marvel has to offer.

#17 Posted by Z3RO180 (6307 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: wait the guy who directed one of the twilight movies is getting hs hands on daredevil...God help us all 8/

#18 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio
@Z3RO180 said:

@cattlebattle: wait the guy who directed one of the twilight movies is getting hs hands on daredevil...God help us all 8/

He also did 30 days of night...that movie was good
#19 Posted by Z3RO180 (6307 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: one good movie odes not make up for the emo indused crap that is twilight...im going to stop for i fear i may start a hate rant about twilight and how it killed vampiers and werewolf from ever being cool agin.

#20 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio
@Z3RO180 said:

@cattlebattle: one good movie odes not make up for the emo indused crap that is twilight...im going to stop for i fear i may start a hate rant about twilight and how it killed vampiers and werewolf from ever being cool agin.

In his defense he only made one Twilight movie, and he directed Hard Candy, which was a provocative movie
#21 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180 said:

@cattlebattle: one good movie odes not make up for the emo indused crap that is twilight...im going to stop for i fear i may start a hate rant about twilight and how it killed vampiers and werewolf from ever being cool agin.

To be fair, it's not like he created Twilight. A directing job's a directing job.

#22 Posted by thenerdal (24 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Brade Caleb Kane was going to write the script.

#23 Posted by Z3RO180 (6307 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: hmmm true well i guess two movies does count for something.

#24 Posted by growup (525 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: can you link me? I'd be interested in a read through

#25 Edited by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.