Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4766 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

This is What the ‘Daredevil’ Film Could Have Looked Like

• 92 results
    erik_norris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By erik_norris

With each passing day it’s looking less likely that Fox will fast track a new Daredevil film into production in order to retain the rights to the character, which expire in October. As we reported on yesterday, even director Joe Carnahan (The Grey, Narc), who has been attached to the project, feels his pitch has gone up in smoke. Maybe that makes the director’s next move all the more understandable.

Carnahan has gone ahead and released his “sizzle reel” for his version of Daredevil on YouTube. Carnahan used the fake trailer below to entice Fox executives to let him pursue his idea for the Man Without Fear. Since they clearly haven’t shot a lick of footage for the film, the trailer is a combination of clips from the original 2003 Daredevil flick, animated stills from the comics, and a bunch of footage from other movies to fill in the pieces. The trailer might not be real, but it appears as though Carnahan was on to something with his ‘70s crime drama take.

Here, take a peek.

Sadly, we will probably never see this version of Daredevil come to fruition. Come October, the rights to Daredevil will revert back to Marvel and they will be able to incorporate him into their movie universe. That’s not a bad thing, mind you, but it will probably lead to a much different take on the character than what you see above – one that will play nicer with the light-hearted, fun nature of Marvel’s overarching film universe.

So what say you, readers? Judging from the test footage above, do you think Joe Carnahan had the right angle to make a new Daredevil movie a success? Or are you glad this version is probably going the way of the dodo to make way for Daredevil potentially getting his Avengers membership card in the mail?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

Man oh man, I would've totally watched that.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

And now we'r going to get a kid friendly "spider-man lite" with super senses beacuse there is noway Marvel will be able to make a Pulp Noire film *sigh* Daredevil used to be my fav superhero as well :-(

thanosrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By thanosrules

WOW! That is epic.

Someone start a kickstarter!

the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By the_fallen11

It makes me sad that this won't happen...I will maintain that I am glad that the rights are going back to Marvel...but sadly we won't see a Daredevil movie until at least 2016 it seems like marvel has phase 2 of their cinematic universe planned out till 2015 so..seeing this sizzle reel makes me wish that this movie was happening.

KennyQuick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KennyQuick

I saw this last night. So awesome. Anything that uses the Warriors as a reference is great!

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Outside_85

Hmm, on one hand it's probably a good thing since the last DD movie was mostly a mess, on the other hand it's a pity that it will mean it's going to loose the edge...or worse it's going to end up with Marvel Knights and be even worse...

erik_norris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By erik_norris

@xAnimosity said:

Anything that uses the Warriors as a reference is great!

This!

Avatar image for milosradmilac092
    MilosRadmilac092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MilosRadmilac092

It is a compilation... But it is AWSOME.... I would totally watch that!!

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Ganthetsward20

I might have enjoyed a film similar to this for Daredevil, but I look forward to Marvel reclaiming its rights back. I dont know that I will want him to be getting that Avengers membership card too soon though. I think he should have a few stand alone films that can incorporate the other heroes of Marvel but not the full avengers roster. I want him to be able to stand on his own for a few moments anyways.

Boogey131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Boogey131

Seems like that could've been a good take but I also thought the same about the second Punisher movie when we started to see how violent/non-typical that was. Think I have more faith in Marvel than Fox with their characters.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By fodigg

These are always tough for me because I have a hard time letting the overall aesthetic wash over me and instead find myself playing the "what's each shot from?" game, but I liked what I saw. 70s daredevil? Yes.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Mucklefluga

Well hopefully if/when Marvel do get the rights back they will make a dark Daredevil film. I think Phase 2 of Marvel's films are meant to be darker anyway. But why didn't Fox make a DD film sooner?

IronAngelX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By IronAngelX

I'm superstoked about this by the way...if you think about...Marvel Studios can create a whole other part of a cinematic universe that is in the Timeline of the Avengers but separate altogether. They have the Punisher and Daredevil...I think that in itself would be awesome....but then throw in characters like Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Moonknight, and Blade...also, I'm sure that Ghost Rider will find his way back home as well. You could totally have another shared section of Marvel without having to be directly tied to the Avengers and this whole other side could be darker and grittier while still maintaining their comic book feel.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Loki9876

I think it's better that he can be in the marvel cinematic universe.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@IronAngelX: You actually think Disney will make dark and gritty films staring the Punisher and Moon Knight?

Mandrewgora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mandrewgora

This would have been such an awesome idea, it's a shame that it will never happen.

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Baddamdog

I saw this on CBR and people on the forums were insulting it's quality, actually thinking it was a proposed trailer rather than a sizzle reel....facepalm central.

I'm so bummed this isn't gonna happen. Please can a big movie person man guy out there look at this and see its potential!

Avatar image for mp_simonwilliams
    MP_SimonWilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MP_SimonWilliams

That is not bad at all.....it is totally unique with the 1970s angle and feel....the only problem is that I LOVE the shared universe with other Marvel heroes. Not that I need to see Daredevil in The Avengers (because he's not a great fit)....but potential cross-overs and tie-ins are pretty cool w/the shared universe.

But seeing this just sparked an idea....

Perhaps.......you could do a shared universe of 1970s Marvel. You could do a 1970s Power Man & Iron Fist, complete with Luke Cage saying, "Sweet Christmas!" Along with Daredevil, Luke Cage and Iron Fist....you could import other un-used heroes into the 1970's Marvel, such as Shang Chi,Son of Satan, Omega The Unknown, The Champions(w/Hercules, Black Widow (You'd have to figure this out -- or have it be Natasha's aunt), Ghost Rider, Ice Man, Angel & Bill Foster Giant Man/BlackGoliath, and Hellcat -- Patsy Walker), Thundra, The Micronauts, ROM Spacenight and even The Inhumans. Maybe even introduce Namor The Sub Mariner and use this setting as a springboard to modern Avengers continuity.....Namor doesn't age.

Maybe.....GASP!....The Squadron Supreme! Wow!

Think about the villians you could import using the 1970s as a backdrop against the above-mentioned heroes.......Maybe you could use the classic-feel of the 1970s "Super-Villian Team Up" homage to bring about these villians: Kingpin of Crime, Bullseye, Maximus The Mad (Black Bolt's brother from The IInhumans) introduce The Kree (to face The Champions), Pluto, Attuma, Tiger Shark, The Hand (Kung Fu Madness vs Daredevil, Shang Chi and Iron Fist), The Red Skull (Hugo Weaving before Cap's re-emergence), Graviton, Mysterio, Gladiator (Daredevil villian), Baron Karza (Micronauts), Dire Wraiths, Electro, The Zodiac w/Serpent Crown (perfect 1970s dudes), Roxxon Oil.

Now....I just thought all this up in 10 minutes after watching that trailer. Somebody has to feel this.....call me, Joe Quesada.

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
    Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@IronAngelX: You actually think Disney will make dark and gritty films staring the Punisher and Moon Knight?

You don't think Disney will ever make a movie that's dark & gritty like Nolan's Batman trilogy which was PG-13? Because all Disney does are movies like Finding Nemo & Toy Story right?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Shamelesslysupportinaznballers said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

You don't think Disney will ever make a movie that's dark & gritty like Nolan's Batman trilogy which was PG-13? Because all Disney does are movies like Finding Nemo & Toy Story right?

Name one dark comic book Disney have done?
    edge0076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By edge0076

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

And now we'r going to get a kid friendly "spider-man lite" with super senses beacuse there is noway Marvel will be able to make a Pulp Noire film *sigh* :-(

My thoughts exactly.

IronAngelX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By IronAngelX

@Jonny_Anonymous: Not that it's dark or gritty but I think that the Iron Man movie took on a very realistic tone to the film and whether it is a little cheesy or not, but they have gotten away with some violent content such as the man who fell into the blades of Captain America's little ship he stole from the Valkyrie in TFA. We don't need an abundance of violence or nudity to make a movie gritty, just a tone, that's all you need is a director to set the right tone.

Webjaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Webjaker

Wow! Just ...Wow!

I would never have thought to take that route with a Daredevil movie - but somehow, its perfect. Hopefully Marvel will pick him up and do a Tarantino-style epic.

That and pick up Jane's Punisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I don't see why that has anything to do with it, Marvel will be making these movies. Have you ever watch Once Upon a Time? It's a show on ABC which is owned by Disney with characthers that are Disney property and it's pretty dark. I'm sure others will have more info than me but just because Disney buys something, it doesn't mean they change the way that company does business.

stop with the paranoia, it's not like Pixar, ESPN, ABC and all the other properties were changed. Ever watch desperate housewives? That's definately not kid friendly and it's on a disney network.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By daredevil21134

God it feels good to see a dark and gritty Daredevil again

Joesoef95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Joesoef95
    @G-Man said:

JayMar89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JayMar89

it dosent have to lose the edge arent the ghostrider movies from maarvel

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I don't see why that has anything to do with it, Marvel will be making these movies. Have you ever watch Once Upon a Time? It's a show on ABC which is owned by Disney with characthers that are Disney property and it's pretty dark. I'm sure others will have more info than me but just because Disney buys something, it doesn't mean they change the way that company does business.

stop with the paranoia, it's not like Pixar, ESPN, ABC and all the other properties were changed. Ever watch desperate housewives? That's definately not kid friendly and it's on a disney network.

Yea none of them would tie in to the Avengersverse that Disney have got going on, you think Disney will make 5 lite family friendly films then one dark? I highly doubt it.  

@IronAngelX: Exactly, Dardevil needs a dark pulp tone to work at Disney is not going to give him that if there mixing it in with the Avengers. Think about the films they have realised and the ones in the future, I mean Ant-Man is going to be a comedy fgs a DD film isn't going to fit with any of that 
    IronAngelX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By IronAngelX

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

To further back all this up, look at the Pirates of the Caribbeans quadrilogy (lol) and the National Treasure movies...yeah they may have been clean for the most part but they were still very fun films for adults to enjoy...they weren't made for kids...but if the kid enjoyed so what? Now I will say that Pirates 2 and 3 were a little iffy on the childish side of things but still there are good movies being produced. Good reference on Once Upon a Time...that's a good show.

itis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By itis

looks amazing...im so tired of seeing some of my favorite heroes reduced to colorful sets and corny screenplays.... kinda like the kilmore and clooney batmen....which i dubbed " batman on ice".

IronAngelX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By IronAngelX

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Yea none of them would tie in to the Avengersverse that Disney have got going on, you think Disney will make 5 lite family friendly films then one dark? I highly doubt it.

@IronAngelX: Exactly, Dardevil needs a dark pulp tone to work at Disney is not going to give him that if there mixing it in with the Avengers. Think about the films they have realised and the ones in the future, I mean Ant-Man is going to be a comedy fgs a DD film isn't going to fit with any of that

I agree with you on that Ant Man and Daredevil don't mix...I wouldn't really want Daredevil to be apart of the Avengers necessarily...maybe a cameo but really, I think Marvel Studios needs to think outside of the Avengers too without letting go of the shared universe....while the Avengers are out in space, make no reference to them as the Kingpin hires Bullseye, Elektra, and the Punisher to hunt him down. I think there needs to be a separate group of characters sharing screen time without Chris Evan, RDJ, Chris Hemsworth, Samuel L. Jackson, and so on...however...to link them in a very indirect way....maybe at some point throw in Black Widow and Hawkeye some as they do have history with Daredevil. This is just my thoughts.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By InnerVenom123

That's genius.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Nice, the soundtrack was screwy, but everything else was awesome. Loved the Untouchables quote.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mega_spidey01

looks interesting.

edge0076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By edge0076

I can't remember if I've mentioned this in this thread yet, but if Disney does get DD back, they should get the guy who directed Drive to direct it. He would be perfect for a DD movie. That probably won't happen, though, considering it's such a perfect idea.

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheHeat
    @Jonny_Anonymous said:

Yes. Disney did the "No Country for Old Men" movie, which was pretty violent.
    TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheHeat
    @edge0076 said:

I can't remember if I've mentioned this in this thread yet, but if Disney does get DD back, they should get the guy who directed Drive to direct it. He would be perfect for a DD movie. That probably won't happen, though, considering it's such a perfect idea.

How about they Ryan Gosling to play DD as well.
    edge0076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By edge0076

@TheHeat said:

@edge0076 said:

How about they Ryan Gosling to play DD as well.

This was mentioned in some fan casting I saw and it honestly isn't a bad idea. Not perfect, but I would hardly be up in arms about it or anything.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@G-Man said:

I was thinking the same thing.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#40  Edited By Lvenger

Even with the flashing, that trailer looked superb. It nailed the dark grittiness of Daredevil's world. Why this pitch was rejected I have no idea.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Nova`Prime`

That was really awesome.. Hopefully this gets a ton of support and Fox sees the dollar signs and makes this movie. I don't care if he stays with Fox or goes back to Marvel Studios, I just want to see a good movie, who cares if it ties into anything else or not. Or if you want to tie it into other characters you stay street level with Punisher and Heroes for Hire. And maybe you have the Avengers on the news or in the paper and that's how you link the two no direct cameos.. maybe Sam Jackson coming to see DD to join up, and of course DD says he's not a team player and doesn't care about anything other then Hell's Kitchen. And now I want Robert DeNiro to be Kingpin.. I don't need Kingpin to be a huge dude.

Oh I forgot to add another good way to keep these movies separate set them in the past, set it in the 70s, when New York was way more violent when you left Manhatten.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CrimsonCake

It has an 80's vibe to it.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @TheHeat said:
    @Jonny_Anonymous said:

Paramount did that film, anyway how exactly would you tie something that dark in to the Avengers?
    BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#44  Edited By BatWatch

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but that did not look good to me. I garnered no real sense of plot or direction. It was just a bunch of unrelated clips spliced together. I'm not sad we will miss this version.

And who liked Drive? It was a whole lot of nothing. It appeared to be attempting depth, but it just lacked substance and shot a bunch of meaningless scenes.

Daredevil should be gritty, but we can have grit and a plot.

edge0076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By edge0076

@Nova`Prime` said:

And now I want Robert DeNiro to be Kingpin.. I don't need Kingpin to be a huge dude.

Anyone seen Vincent D'Onofrio, lately? The guy's listed as 6'4 and looks like this now:

What do y'all think? He'd have to shave his head, of course, but it's not like he's never done that for a role before, either.

edge0076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By edge0076

@Nova`Prime` said:

@edge0076 said:

@Nova`Prime` said:

And now I want Robert DeNiro to be Kingpin.. I don't need Kingpin to be a huge dude.

Anyone seen Vincent D'Onofrio, lately? The guy's listed as 6'4 and looks like this now:

What do y'all think? He'd have to shave his head, of course, but it's not like he's never done that before, either.

He's a good actor but every time I see him I think of this...

No Caption Provided

Don't know if it's my computer or what, but your pic isn't loading. What's it from?

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    edge0076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By edge0076
    Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

#49  Edited By Delphic

I really like the feel of the fake, and it has sort of a pulp/Noir feel to it, but maybe it's better that this doesn't happen. Even sound ideas can go bad if they are handled improperly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@TheHeat said:
    @Jonny_Anonymous said:

Paramount did that film, anyway how exactly would you tie something that dark in to the Avengers?

Disney owns Miramax, Miramax coproduced the movie.

But why does everything have to be dark & gritty? The current DD comic by Waid is great and it's not very dark. Heck maybe Marvel won't even make a DD movie cause it won't tie into the avengers very well. All I know is that if there will be a movie it's mostly likely going to be pg-13 and there can only be so many things you can do in a pg-13 movie. And no don't go start blaming Disney cause it's pg-13.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.