Should I read Daredevil by Mark Waid (2011-

• 59 results
Posted by TheFirstLantern (1544 posts) 1 year, 11 months ago

Poll: Should I read Daredevil by Mark Waid (2011- (37 votes)

Yes 84%
No 16%

I have never read Daredevil and I have noticed that the series gets very good reviews, I just need some advice on this.

#51 Edited by nintendork666 (287 posts) - - Show Bio

yes!

#52 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5632 posts) - - Show Bio

@m3th said:

@tupiaz: Could you specify some of the loose plots for me please. I don't have a problem with the Deus Ex Machina, and I think is very common in fiction. But, I respect your opinion.

@daredevil21134 :

Ok fair enough. I've just seen a lot of complaints saying that Waids DD isn't the one they know and love. I've seen people give examples of the "real" DD that for me are examples of an emo character.

Would you mind informing me on great stories of DD where he's not emo. I am interested.

Thanks for reading and replying (if you do.)

Yes, the stories Denny O'neil wrote are classic noir style Daredevil stories that don't have Matt Murdock walking around brooding on how crappy his life is 27/7.They are fun good stories that have it's own style of humor.Look no further than a character called Micah Synn.He also wrote an epic story where Daredevil went to Japan and met a woman named Yuriko who would later become Lady Deathstrike,it one of my favorite Daredevil stories ever.A lot of people assume Mark Waid critics don't like his work because he writes a lighter tone but that's not true I have other reasons why I don't like his work outside of the tone of the book.Another writer that wrote a lot of good noir style Daredevil stories was Ann Nocenti,a lot of people just remember her for her Typhoid Mary stories but she had one of the longest runs in Daredevil history and a lot of her stories had a kind,gentle Matt Murdock trying rebuild his life after Born Again with Karen Page they were even some funny parts with a group of kids named the Fat boys.Her Daredevil didn't really start brooding until towards the end of her 5 year run.D.G Chichester also wrote a lot of stories of a not so brooding Matt Murdock,but kept the book very adult orientated,but just like Nocenti people only remember him for his Fall from Grace and Tree of Knowledge stories but before that he had wrote good noir style crime stories without screwing with Murdock's personal life too much, as a matter fact he wrote my favorite Daredevil and Spider-Man team up when they take on a criminal named the surgeon general.There are ways to write good Daredevil stories without him complaining about how crappy his life is and staying true to who he is.Which is a bad ass street vigilante that lets his fighting do the talking.You don't have to ruin his personal life to make good Daredevil stories nor do you have to make him some lighthearted,quick witted swash buckling super hero either.Daredevil Redemption is also another story that was good without screwing with his personal life.

I loved both these runs (Ann and D. G.)

On to other stuff

That Mole Man fight gave me some respect for Mole Man.

I think start here, if you like it then go find the older stuff and form your own opinion on your favorite. (I think someone might have said this already but it's a good idea worth repeating :) )

#53 Posted by Vance Astro (89534 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

This is still a taste you can say that most people or a normal person wouldn't eat it.

It's not most people it's NOBODY. NOBODY would eat a cake with garbage in it. People WOULD read Waid's Daredevil and they ARE reading it. Your analogy suggest that Waid's run isn't good as a fact and not an opinion.

@tupiaz said:

There is plenty of post that don't like Waid's run for other reasons for instance because of the plot holes/weak plots. And I know for a fact that daredevil21134 dislike Waid's run for other reasons than the style.

And those aren't the posts i'm talking about and i'm also not suggesting the reason I'm posting about is the ONLY reason why people don't like it.

@tupiaz said:

There could be plenty of reasons to checkout different writers with same style, if what you this like is something else than the style. You don't know why the readers don't like Waid's run (assuming they are) and therefore the might like Kelly and Kesel's runs. The two runs don't become irrelevant because you don't like Waid's run.

M3th asked "what are some good runs where Daredevil isn't emo?" So I completely understand why daredevil21134 brought up Kelly and Kesel's runs, what I am saying is that for the user that made the thread..I wouldn't suggest either of those runs if he is completely fine with that style of Daredevil. I would suggest Waid's run or nothing at all, because those runs ARE irrelevant to Daredevil as a character. They have no bearing on anything that is CURRENTLY going on with the character. If i'm going to suggested an older run it would be essential reading.

@tupiaz said:

I know the reason he/she the are asking. My point is there is no reason to read a bad ongoing title just because it is ongoing. Then it is better to just read a good old book.

If you know why they are asking and we both understand that, why do you keep reiterating this point about reading a bad run, nowhere do I suggest someone SHOULD read a bad run, nor would I ever. That doesn't make any sense.

#54 Posted by tupiaz (2257 posts) - - Show Bio

@vance_astro said:

It's not most people it's NOBODY. NOBODY would eat a cake with garbage in it. People WOULD read Waid's Daredevil and they ARE reading it. Your analogy suggest that Waid's run isn't good as a fact and not an opinion.

Nope that garbage is bad is indeed also just an opinion. My analogy just suggest that I don't like Waid's run.

M3th asked "what are some good runs where Daredevil isn't emo?" So I completely understand why daredevil21134 brought up Kelly and Kesel's runs, what I am saying is that for the user that made the thread..I wouldn't suggest either of those runs if he is completely fine with that style of Daredevil. I would suggest Waid's run or nothing at all, because those runs ARE irrelevant to Daredevil as a character. They have no bearing on anything that is CURRENTLY going on with the character. If i'm going to suggested an older run it would be essential reading.

And my point is I would rather read a good comic (wouldn't care what relevance it has to the character to day) rather than read a bad ongoing just because it is relevant. If the story isn't good it isn't relevant for me. Maybe for the story arch but I really don't care to much about that. This is what I have been arguing against you seems to think that relevance is more important than the quality of the story. By the way the next writer of DD could bring up a lot of stuff from this period and make the old stories relevant.

If you know why they are asking and we both understand that, why do you keep reiterating this point about reading a bad run, nowhere do I suggest someone SHOULD read a bad run, nor would I ever. That doesn't make any sense.

Well you did suggest Waid's run that kinda counts at leats according to my taste.

And those aren't the posts i'm talking about and i'm also not suggesting the reason I'm posting about is the ONLY reason why people don't like it.

However that is very one sided and you gave the impression that it was a fact that if you don't like Waid's run you wouldn't like Kesel and Kelly's runs. Which is not necessary true.

#55 Edited by Vance Astro (89534 posts) - - Show Bio
@tupiaz said:

And my point is I would rather read a good comic (wouldn't care what relevance it has to the character to day) rather than read a bad ongoing just because it is relevant. If the story isn't good it isn't relevant for me. Maybe for the story arch but I really don't care to much about that. This is what I have been arguing against you seems to think that relevance is more important than the quality of the story. By the way the next writer of DD could bring up a lot of stuff from this period and make the old stories relevant.

I'm not arguing that relevance is more important than quality. I'm arguing that quality isn't a definite because we don't know what the users taste is or what they like, so completely ignoring it altogether depending on what style of Daredevil you like I would recommend the one that is most relevant to the character. I like all 3 of the runs in question so i'm not making any quality differentiation.

@tupiaz said:
@vance_astro said:

However that is very one sided and you gave the impression that it was a fact that if you don't like Waid's run you wouldn't like Kesel and Kelly's runs. Which is not necessary true.

I don't know how I gave that impression because I never said anything like that.

#56 Posted by ZoddGuts (92 posts) - - Show Bio

Buy it. It's a great series. Ignore the haters, who hate on the book for not being another dark/gritty series. Daredevil doesn't need to be dark/gritty to be good, Waid has proven that with his Daredevil run. Waid's run has won awards, gotten great reviews and most importantly it's been received well by it's readers. If you enjoy the current run of Hawkeye I highly recommend getting this series.

#57 Posted by daredevil21134 (14012 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does everybody think people only hate Waid's run because it's not dark and gritty.Sigh

#58 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5103 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does everybody think people only hate Waid's run because it's not dark and gritty.Sigh

I don't know, but I also don't know why anyone would hate this series.

do you hate it? can you explain why?

#59 Edited by daredevil21134 (14012 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

I don't know, but I also don't know why anyone would hate this series.

do you hate it? can you explain why?

I don't know have familiar you are with Daredevil but I personally can't stand when Matt Murdock is written like this.This is so Spider-Man.If you wanna see my other complaints check the fans against Waid thread or go to the last page on this thread

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.