Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4764 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

Official Daredevil Fans Against Waid Thread

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#102  Edited By daredevil21134

@TheAcidSkull said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: i'm enjoying his run immensely, besides there are still many dark elements in the book

But they are way more lighter elements imo

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By daredevil21134

If Daredevil had another ongoing title I think I would like Mark Waid's Daredevil.Mark Waid's DD could be what Avenging Spider-Man is to Spider-Man.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#104  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

*sigh*

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By tupiaz

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I don't agree, the ninja aspect was always a part of the Daredevil mythos and it added to the pulp feeling of the book also we got cool villains like Bullseye, Lady Bullseye, Mr Fear, the Owl, Gladiator, Tombstone ect Batman books do fine without having to revert back to the campy ones of old

No it hasn't always been. Bullseye, Mr. Fear, Owl and the Gladiator was all introduced before he went ninja. Gladiator even went good when Daredevil got the Ninja mythos. Besides I always saw Tombstone more as a Spider-Man villain than DD villain. Though I could see him work as a DD villain.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@tupiaz said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I don't agree, the ninja aspect was always a part of the Daredevil mythos and it added to the pulp feeling of the book also we got cool villains like Bullseye, Lady Bullseye, Mr Fear, the Owl, Gladiator, Tombstone ect Batman books do fine without having to revert back to the campy ones of old

No it hasn't always been. Bullseye, Mr. Fear, Owl and the Gladiator was all introduced before he went ninja. Gladiator even went good when Daredevil got the Ninja mythos. Besides I always saw Tombstone more as a Spider-Man villain than DD villain. Though I could see him work as a DD villain.

He was mentored by Stick who was a Ninja

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By tupiaz

@Jonny_Anonymous: Yeah he is retro con that way. That dose mean he always got the mythos. Stick didn't arrived before Miller took over as a character. In the 60's he was very like Spider-Man in the 70's he got a more Science Fiction vibe. The Daredevil ninja mythos has not always existed.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@tupiaz said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: Yeah he is retro con that way. That dose mean he always got the mythos. Stick didn't arrived before Miller took over as a character. In the 60's he was very like Spider-Man in the 70's he got a more Science Fiction vibe. The Daredevil ninja mythos has not always existed.

ether way the character is infinitely more interesting when he wasn't Spider-Man lite

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I'm liking Mark's run. It's really fun and ejoyable to read like the Hawkeye book.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By tupiaz

@Jonny_Anonymous: It seems like you haven't read it. If that is the case you can't say one story arch/period is better than the other. You have to had read both comics period to give that call.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@tupiaz: I have read it but clearly you never read the OP

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By tupiaz

@Jonny_Anonymous: I did. Topics change over time. Your topic has not been that active even though you have tried to bump it several time. I therefore didn't feel I hijacked your topic it seemed like it was finished.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@tupiaz: Wut? I'm talking about you saying I had not read the series even though I said in the OP that I had.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By tupiaz

@Jonny_Anonymous: I did read your OP, just reread it. It doesn't say anything about you reading any silver age comics, just that you are a big fan especially for his dark period. That was what I was referring to earlier (it could been more clear) because it seemed like you believed that Stick has been around since day one which he hasn't. I then found it weird to say one subject is better than another subject if you haven't dealt with both. Therefore i said if that was the case you shouldn't judge a specific story arc nor period if you haven't read it. Thats all really. if you have read DD's silver age stories (or just some) then good for you.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By daredevil21134

@TheAcidSkull said:

why do people complain so much!? this was soppoused to be a new start, and there are clearly many dark element to the book, it one of the best series in marvel. this is stupid.

Because we think it sucks and you'd be lying if you said it isn't a big change compared to Miller,Bendis,and Brubaker

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By daredevil21134

@TheAcidSkull said:

@daredevil21134: it doesn't suck, and i am not lying to anyone, mark waids daredevil made me like the character. and i was never a dd fan before.

That's your opinion but don't knock us for not liking Daredevil talking about the Kardashians or making jokes while fighting or wearing T-shirts that reads I'm not Daredevil.I don't know how much DD you've read but I been a Daredevil fanatic and collector for a very long time and I don't like it one bit because its not what made me like him as a character and he hasn't been written like that since Stan Lee and probably Joe Kelly wrote him.And that has been decades ago

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By daredevil21134

@TheAcidSkull said:

@daredevil21134: if few jokes is hardly a reason to hate on the character this run is about something else, i am not as much as a dd fan as you are, not even close, but this is about how matt, someone who gets slapped across the face by life millions of times, manages to find a new cheerful attitude towards life. Mark waid was tasked by marvel to go with what he is doing right now, maybe that hadn't been his plan but thats what marvel wants, and i say MD accomplished that. besides dd has a lot on his plate in waids run as well:

• he was played to be mentally insane
    • had his previous lover( the insane one) appear in his room just like 'that' and then was taken away again.
    • matt claims to have no problems even though he keeps sending letters to his insane lover.
    • matts fathers remains appeared in his desk
    • foggy was diagnosed with

and so on. i don't see whats so bad about it, mark waid manages to mix humor and seriousness very well. and i really like it. but i guess my opinion differs.

I've read every issue of Mark Waids Daredevil and every issue I get more and more annoyed but I don't expect you to understand seeing as you weren't a Daredevil fan before so I'm not gonna contnue an argument with someone who dosen't know the character that well pre Waid.But since you like it, enjoy it.But I don;t think its fair for you to call a thread stupid when you barley knew the character to begin with and hardcore DD fans are venting because we find a cheerful Matt Murdock boring along with villains like Mole Man.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By daredevil21134

@TheAcidSkull said:

@daredevil21134: i see no point in continuing an argument either. and also you shouldn't call anyone stupid, not even if i was a dd fan before waid. it always comes down to the opinion.

I never called anyone stupid.I said it wasn't fair for you to call a thread stupid because you don't agree with whats being said about a character you barley knew before Waid got his hands on

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By daredevil21134

@TheAcidSkull said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@TheAcidSkull said:

@daredevil21134: i see no point in continuing an argument either. and also you shouldn't call anyone stupid, not even if i was a dd fan before waid. it always comes down to the opinion.

I never called anyone stupid.I said it wasn't fair for you to call a thread stupid because you don't agree with whats being said about a character you barley knew before Waid got his hands on

i called it stupid because it is, Jason aaron for example demolished the hulk into pure crap, and i love hulk the same way you love dd, but i never made a thread about it( not saying you did) , because it's stupid and unnecessary, because mark waid had done what he was asked for, however aaron was never asked to do complete crap :(

Ok I get that but again that's what you choose to do.To us Mark Waid's DD is crap but you wouldn't know that because you haven't read most of the epic stories that have defined Daredevil over the years.I know Quesada asked Mark Waid to make a more upbeat DD story but I don't have to like it and as a fan I have a right to express myself just like you do.Especially on a comic website.But I do agree with you on Jason Arron though

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By daredevil21134

@TheAcidSkull said:

@daredevil21134: :), ok then, but just so you know i wasn't trying to be rude, i just though a hate thread was bit to harsh i guess, but you right fans need to express themselves. :)

have your read jason aarons hulk ? ^__^

Oh.no way bro I never thought you were being rude.You're just passionate about something you like a lot.I'm glad you got into Daredevil and I hope someday you'll give some of his old adventures he's had a chance, but its always nice to have a fellow DD fan.Welcome to team DD.I read like 3 issues of Jason Aaron Hulk and I was done lol

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@TheAcidSkull: Some pepole like Aarons Hulk so that's just your opinion just like it's our opinion that Waid is having a poor run on DD, are you going to tell us that our opinions are wrong and stupid? Look at it this way, if you where a huge Batman fan and Snyder decided that he was too dark and needed a change so he started writing Batman the same way as he was back in the camp era, now Bruce Wayne is walking about with an "I'm The Batman" t-shirt and telling knock knock jokes while fighting the Condiment King, would you be happy with that? Not only has Waid totally changed the style and themes of DD he's taken away what made it different from the other Marvel books, Daredevil used to be a grimey crime noir book and other than the Punisher that is the only book Marvel puts out like that now it's just an average super hero book like the 50 others they put out. Waid has also totally ignored everything that went on in the last two DD runs, there is a massive ninja stronghold that Matt himself build smack bang in the middle of Hell's Kitchen yet it's not even mentioned, the "Matt Murdock is Daredevil" was totally wrapped up in the last run yet Waid clings to it like a life raft. Waids run on DD is generic and sloppy at best.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By daredevil21134

@TheAcidSkull said:

@daredevil21134: Yup, i really like dd, in fact , i don't care who is writing , from now on i'll be reading dd for a long long time :P

you made the right decision, jason aarons hulk run is an atrocity. XD

Well i'm glad he brought you to the Daredevil franchise

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@TheAcidSkull: Why is the thread stupid? There is many many threads praising Waids run what's wrong with one thread for DD fan's that are not enjoying it? There is nowhere else for fan's to discus the book in a critical manner and we'r not all going to pretend that we like it.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#134  Edited By Gambit1024

And 23 issues later, I'm still on board. I understand why some fans are still upset about the book's turnaround in tone, but I personally think that it works. Eisner Awards can't be wrong, right?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By daredevil21134

@TheAcidSkull said:

@daredevil21134: :) i am also happy! and hey! now i know ho to contact on dd :)

Anytime bro

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By daredevil21134

@Gambit1024 said:

And 23 issues later, I'm still on board. I understand why some fans are still upset about the book's turnaround in tone, but I personally think that it works. Eisner Awards can't be wrong, right?

Of course it can lol

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Gambit1024

@daredevil21134 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Of course it can lol

Don't see how, though. Movies win Academy Awards, Golden Globes, etc. because they're the best of the best by professional film-making standards. If a comic wins an award like that, they're obviously doing something right by some sort of professional standard, ya dig?

Edit: Maybe film wasn't the best example, seeing as how the Academy snubs a big name and f*cks up annually, but my point's still the same. A movie like Sucker Punch isn't gonna be a contender for Best Picture. It wants a film that accomplishes something, like Django, Lincoln, etc.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Gambit1024: plenty of pepole/books have one an Eisner Award that have been undeserving, same goes for ever award ceremony.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Gambit1024

@Jonny_Anonymous: It's in the eye of the beholder, I'm afraid. I know this is a pointless argument, as we're on completely different sides by the look of it, I just wanted to get my two cents in on the conversation.

I respect your opinions, daredevil21134's too, and DD is my second favorite character Marvel's got to offer. If we can't agree on the way the book's being handled, we can at least agree that Daredevil kicks ass either way.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Gambit1024: that we can agree on :)

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
    Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I love Bendis & Bru's run but I see nothing wrong with Waid's current run. I do agree about Shadowland and how it's sort of unresolved but I find DD's current status quo to be a logical change of pace. Yes, even the t-shirt scene made sense if you understand Matt's current situation in life and how he's trying to deal with it.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By daredevil21134

@Gambit1024 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Of course it can lol

Don't see how, though. Movies win Academy Awards, Golden Globes, etc. because they're the best of the best by professional film-making standards. If a comic wins an award like that, they're obviously doing something right by some sort of professional standard, ya dig?

Edit: Maybe film wasn't the best example, seeing as how the Academy snubs a big name and f*cks up annually, but my point's still the same. A movie like Sucker Punch isn't gonna be a contender for Best Picture. It wants a film that accomplishes something, like Django, Lincoln, etc.

LOL,I dig ya bro

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Waid's run introduced me to Daredevil a few months ago, and I liked it, so I read some of the Miller and Bendis Daredevil stories. Now, DD#24 is just boring. I love the art, but that's all. Daredevil just isn't written like Daredevil.

In part, I'm sure that's the idea Waid's going for. After all the tragedy in his life, Matt's only defense is to act positive or humorous; however, Daredevil never acknowledges this in his inner monologues, so Waid's characterization just comes off badly. If all his thoughts (word boxes) were dark and intense, but he smiled and laughed whenever he was around Foggy or Kirsten (speech bubbles), it would be a hundred times better.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By daredevil21134

The site update wiped my original message

It's been nearly 500+ days since I started collecting Daredevil. I've spent a fortune on all of the TPB and the single issues that were not collected into a book. I had only read the first two issues of Waid's run purely because of this thread, and my experience wasn't great.

On the weekend I finally picked up Waid's TPB and all I have to say is that I feel genuinely sorry for the fans who only know Daredevil from this series. This isn't Daredevil. The closest thing you'll get to Daredevil in this series is the variant for issue 8.

No Caption Provided

Thanks

Waid's run introduced me to Daredevil a few months ago, and I liked it, so I read some of the Miller and Bendis Daredevil stories. Now, DD#24 is just boring. I love the art, but that's all. Daredevil just isn't written like Daredevil.

In part, I'm sure that's the idea Waid's going for. After all the tragedy in his life, Matt's only defense is to act positive or humorous; however, Daredevil never acknowledges this in his inner monologues, so Waid's characterization just comes off badly. If all his thoughts (word boxes) were dark and intense, but he smiled and laughed whenever he was around Foggy or Kirsten (speech bubbles), it would be a hundred times better.

Its easier for Waid to write a upbeat Daredevil so he made an excuse to change him.I agree with what you said though

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc95e8faaad6
    deactivated-5cc95e8faaad6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134:

@gotwillpower:

I understand the need for change, I really do.

I'm a freelance film editor, and with my latest job there was a 3 week gap before it started so I have had a lot of time to kill. With that I've nearly caught up on all the New 52 comics. A lot has changed, but it's still true to the source material. A big thing was giving Barbra Gordon (Batgirl) her legs again ,she was paralyzed by The Joker for those who don't read DC, however the nature of the character stayed the same.

What I've been reading isn't the nature of Daredevil. The panel where Captain America tried to arrest him and Daredevil shouts objection and jumps off the roof made me cringe so much.

If Waid wants to give him an adventure where he's not tied down to the city, fine, take a look at The Devil Inside and Out Vol 2. He's gallivanting all around Europe, and despite the fact he's not in the dirty streets of Hells Kitchen it still feels like Daredevil.

There's giving something a new direction, and then there's this.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134:

@gotwillpower:

I understand the need for change, I really do.

I'm a freelance film editor, and with my latest job there was a 3 week gap before it started so I have had a lot of time to kill. With that I've nearly caught up on all the New 52 comics. A lot has changed, but it's still true to the source material. A big thing was giving Barbra Gordon (Batgirl) her legs again ,she was paralyzed by The Joker for those who don't read DC, however the nature of the character stayed the same.

What I've been reading isn't the nature of Daredevil. The panel where Captain America tried to arrest him and Daredevil shouts objection and jumps off the roof made me cringe so much.

If Waid wants to give him an adventure where he's not tied down to the city, fine, take a look at The Devil Inside and Out Vol 2. He's gallivanting all around Europe, and despite the fact he's not in the dirty streets of Hells Kitchen it still feels like Daredevil.

There's giving something a new direction, and then there's this.

I agree with everything you said

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By tupiaz

OK. I have now read the two first TPB's and feel i can give some judgement. The first tpb wasn't bad but not great either it was mostly just forgetable. The fill in issue 2 stand as the best issue. However TPB number two the plot gets so loose it is hard to find a direction and also the omegadrive just bump into Matt like a truck fill with radioactive waste. There is a lot cliche and bad jokes about Matt being DD and the get old really fast. Already with number one I thought "really? Is this suppose to be fun?". However the worst Issue most be number 7 which is a fill in issue where Matt is going on a field trip with some children suddenly the bus crashes and Matt has to be in a DD suit but pretend to the children that he is Matt and in the end he is saved by the children. I mean that is one of the most idiotic moves DD could do. It almost makes more sense fighting in a playground i broad daylight. Why would DD run around while children is calling him Matt? And how the did the children found the house when they can't see Matt is Daredevil? It is beyond me that issue number 7 won a Eisner Awards for best single issue/one shot.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By daredevil21134

@tupiaz said:

OK. I have now read the two first TPB's and feel i can give some judgement. The first tpb wasn't bad but not great either it was mostly just forgetable. The fill in issue 2 stand as the best issue. However TPB number two the plot gets so loose it is hard to find a direction and also the omegadrive just bump into Matt like a truck fill with radioactive waste. There is a lot cliche and bad jokes about Matt being DD and the get old really fast. Already with number one I thought "really? Is this suppose to be fun?". However the worst Issue most be number 7 which is a fill in issue where Matt is going on a field trip with some children suddenly the bus crashes and Matt has to be in a DD suit but pretend to the children that he is Matt and in the end he is saved by the children. I mean that is one of the most idiotic moves DD could do. It almost makes more sense fighting in a playground i broad daylight. Why would DD run around while children is calling him Matt? And how the did the children found the house when they can't see Matt is Daredevil? It is beyond me that issue number 7 won a Eisner Awards for best single issue/one shot.

LOLBut Mark Waid lovers would call all those idiotic things legendary .And the whole Matt is DD has been done to death,I guess Mark Waid didn't read Ed Brubakers's run.Because Matt was able to practice law just fine despite his identity being public.Beisdes that Brubaker tried to close the door on the whole Matt Murdock is DD and Waid opened right back up.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By tupiaz

@daredevil21134 said:

@tupiaz said:

LOLBut Mark Waid lovers would call all those idiotic things legendary .And the whole Matt is DD has been done to death,I guess Mark Waid didn't read Ed Brubakers's run.Because Matt was able to practice law just fine despite his identity being public.Beisdes that Brubaker tried to close the door on the whole Matt Murdock is DD and Waid opened right back up.

The Matt-is-DD thing has been done since the time old Spidey outed him back in the silver age when Stan Lee wrote him at this point DD was carefree as well. I have order the second and third Marvel Masterwork TPB. I Look forward to finally read them and I think I will enjoy it more than Waid's run.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.