Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4765 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

Off YOUR Mind: What Should Happen to the Daredevil Movie Franchise?

• 126 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Once upon a time, Fox put out a Daredevil movie starring Ben Affleck and others. It wasn't too well received. When Disney bought Marvel, this eventually lead to the creation of Marvel Studios and the ability to tell comic book movies with a cohesive 'cinematic universe.' The rights to Daredevil remained at Fox (along with Fantastic Four) as long as they continued to make movies within a specified time period.

Now it appears the time for Daredevil is about to expire and the rights could revert back to Marvel/Disney. It's possible Fox could still fast track the movie but they have to get started by October. Normally we would say the rights reverting back is a great thing but recently word got out that director Joe Carnahan's pitch for a 70s crime drama take on Daredevil has been shot down. He even released his 'sizzle reel' used to convince Fox execs he was onto something (you can check it out here).

No Caption Provided

The question is, what do you think would be best for a Daredevil movie franchise? Do you think a 70s take separate from other heroes could have worked? Should the possibility of Daredevil meeting up with the Avengers be put in place (even though he rarely has anything to do with the team in the comics since he 'joined')? Should the movie be based on an existing arc by Frank Miller, Brian Bendis or even Mark Waid?

This is your chance to stand up and let your opinion be heard. Let us know below what you feel would be best for the future of Daredevil on the big screen.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Inverno

Turn it into a TV series would be more appropriate.

PikminMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By PikminMania

I thought the 70s Daredevil would've been great.He doesn't belong with The Avengers.

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Jekylhyde14

They should give it to Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller. Unfortunately, they'll have to track through some of the ground already worn by the Affleck picture, but if they give it to those two then it should be worth it. This will probably never happen, though. It's hard for me to actually see Rodriguez/Miller working with Disney and getting the freedom that they had with Sin City. In truth, I think Daredevil will be a very tough film for Marvel Studios to get right so they shouldn't pursue it at all.

I did dig that '70's sizzle reel, though...

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Shawnbaby

Every Movie they make from this point forwards should be brought into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Even if they don't bring those characters into the Avengers...it's always good to have the option at least of bringing in guest stars and what not.

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Batnandez

The 70's stuff was stupid, keep it like the comics it's not all that difficult.

borges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By borges

After that last effort, he should be but to rest unless Miller is involved. There are more economical (and enticing) options available that I'd rather see than a dardevil re-do.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By TheMess1428

Marvel should take the rights back and fit him into their universe. He doesn't have to be on the team but he should still coexist with them.

tpary02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tpary02

Put the Born Again arc on the big screen. Period. Forget the past movie. This is one of DD's best arcs. Do it, and the character, justice.

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Hit_Monkey

The 70's sizzle reel looked awesome.

Cyborg6971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cyborg6971

More cowbell.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By viin

Daredevil doesnt belong with the Avengers. Im not a daredevil reader but would be interested in a new movie. Putting him in an older setting I think sounds cool especially the 70s.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Unless Marvel can make a darker more mature film they shouldnt make a DD one

shrimc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By shrimc

Daredevil should be given back to Marvel but not released for at least three more years, and have a gritty realistic feel to it like the Nolan Batman trilogy. Have it be directed by someone like Zack Snyder, and cast someone like Bruce Willis, but younger, as Daredevil. Also do not put him with the Avengers maybe a small interaction, but not a full membership.

MonkeysDad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MonkeysDad

No reason it has to be a well-known director (or star, even). Keeps the budget lower and means they can go R-rated if need be.

Like the Mean Streets/Taxi Driver approach, and a Punisher walk-on would be ideal...

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mucklefluga

Put him into Marvels Cinematic Universe, mention other heroes an villains and events but dont get him to join The Avengers

AdrianOpIvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16  Edited By AdrianOpIvy

@Jekylhyde14 said:

They should give it to Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller. Unfortunately, they'll have to track through some of the ground already worn by the Affleck picture, but if they give it to those two then it should be worth it. This will probably never happen, though. It's hard for me to actually see Rodriguez/Miller working with Disney and getting the freedom that they had with Sin City. In truth, I think Daredevil will be a very tough film for Marvel Studios to get right so they shouldn't pursue it at all.

Rodriguez never even occured to me, but thats such a goddamn perfect idea that it seems perfect now. Too bad he's doing Machete Kills and then Sin City 2. Ah well, looks like we'll have to settle for a Marvel Daredevil picture.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By kagato

@Mucklefluga said:

Put him into Marvels Cinematic Universe, mention other heroes an villains and events but dont get him to join The Avengers

Pretty much this, i dont want to see him as an Avenger but having him exist in the same world as them and hear people mention Stark Enterprises etc would be great. I just dont know where you go with this character to make him exciting to the masses the way Spiderman and Ironman are.

DoctorTrips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By DoctorTrips

The rights going back to Marvel would be a good thing; they'll do him justice and I have faith in their work. He can be included in the MCU pretty easily, even if they make his entry more dark and serious - that's the nice thing about universes: they're big and diverse. Giving little nods to surrounding events and even characters would be nice to see too - especially if it's the Black Widow (given their comic book history).

But on the other hand if they wanted to have him be kind of solitary and not have that many nods to the events in the other films they could set his film in the 1970s; it'd add some interesting history to the MCU. That way you could have it be a really fantastic dark and serious 1970s crime epic and introduce some characters who would be difficult to bring into the modern world. X-Men First Class was fantastic in it's 1960s setting and I feel like Daredevil could benefit from being set in a time of rampant corruption and crime. It'd bring in some great visual flare as well. So honestly that's the route I'd love to see them take.

Only time will tell.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Phaedrusgr

Return to Marvel Studios. A fresh movie. Keep it simple, a lot of thugs, a lot of dirty fighting and a lot of Matt/Daredevil.

Crackdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Crackdown

Hell yeah Daredevil Noir!

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I think it would be good to she it revert to marvel and then have them eventually merge it into the known marvel universe. I don't know if that means they join in the avengers or if them have other crossover films. But building on the universe is what has made the main marvel franchise so good.

Avatar image for dr_evil_porkchop
    Dr_Evil_Porkchop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dr_Evil_Porkchop

I was really liking the 70's approach but looks like it will never happen. :'(

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By Deranged Midget

If you return him to Marvel, they have to follow up on Waid's run.

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Om1kron

Jeff Loeb - Daredevil Yellow (make that into a movie) you're welcome.

red_rover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By red_rover

I felt more satisfied from the sizzle reel than the Affleck movie. That said, no reason why a street level film can't work in the MCU. Not every film they make needs to be an earth shaking event. The more personal stories will only add to the overall universe.

growup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By growup

he shouldn't be in the cinematic universe. If marvel get his rights back I would like to see a tv series, though I would personally love to see Joe Carnahan do the 70s thriller after seeing the sizzle reel.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Red_Justice said:

he shouldn't be in the cinematic universe. If marvel get his rights back I would like to see a tv series, though I would personally love to see Joe Carnahan do the 70s thriller after seeing the sizzle reel.

I agree. This would be a great series to bring to the TV. Street level crime works a lot better with limited budgets than superpower-oriented characters requiring a large graphics budget.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By sora_thekey

Jeph Loeb should make it into a live-action TV series that parallels series like Smallville or Arrow (only better). In other words, give the rights back to Marvel!

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By GC8

Reboot.

New cast.

Fertheluvachrist Bullseye should be NOTHING like the Colin Farrell character!!!

KMART4455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KMART4455

IRON FIST!

Avatar image for thegoddambatman
    TheGoddamBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheGoddamBatman

Set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and start a new Phase with Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Punisher and Daredevil movies that cumulate into a Marvel Knights film where they team up to take down Kingpin. It would be like The Raid but with superheroes, where they have to fight their way through minor supervillains to get to Kingpin. Also include one or two female street level heroes, e.g: Misty Knight and if possible borrow Spiderman.

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 59

#32  Edited By SlamAdams

The Daredevil has been pretty consistently awesome for the last few years, and it has been based on relatively PG-13 thrills so I don't see Disney/Marvel having a hard time making a great DD flick. I'd like to see Marvel do for the Marvel Knights corner of their universe what they did with the Avengers. Crossover the likes of Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Punisher and build it to an ensemble movie against The Hand or something. Also, instead of rebooting his series yet again The Punisher would make for a great occasional ally/occasional enemy for Daredevil. Maybe they could build it to that Dardevil/Punisher team up when they were in prison together.

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TAneT62

It should be dismissed, but no, they decide to create another awful superhero movie. Oh I laugh at these people.

Killer_Tomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Killer_Tomato

I'd say TV Series all the way with Daredevil, and some of the other "street-level" heroes. Most of them would require minimal FX, and could really give Marvel a chance to get a strong foot into the hour-long drama (more-or-less) area of entertainment, DC is pretty lacking in the movie verse (with pretty much two viable franchises, unless they take some risks with lesser-knowns), but they have had a strong and successful presence (more-or-less) on the small screen for years. Besides we all know cop dramas and such seem to be rating retainers more often than not, so a series that features a lawyer or two (Daredevil and maybe Jennifer Walters), an ex-soldier who is fed up with the law and takes matters into his own hands (Punisher), some crime fighters for hire (Luke Cage and Iron Fist) for special cases, maybe another martial artist (Shang-Chi) or crazy guy (Moon Knight) with some street level villains (minimal "super" villains though) and with Joss Whedon helping helm the direction of the series, you'd have a recipe for success.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Mbecks14

let it die?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#36  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @AdrianOpIvy

@Jekylhyde14 said:

Rodriguez never even occured to me, but thats such a goddamn perfect idea that it seems perfect now. Too bad he's doing Machete Kills and then Sin City 2. Ah well, looks like we'll have to settle for a Marvel Daredevil picture.

That is the perfect director
    TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheHeat
    @AdrianOpIvy said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

I'd rather have Rodriguez do the Deadpool movie.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DEGRAAF

a tv series wouldnt be bad. I think the rights should be given back to Marvel though

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By Master_Thief

a movie leading to the New Avengers

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By judasnixon

Let Patten Oswalt play Froggy Nelson.

the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By the_fallen11

Live action TV show is what I want it would be a great show although I would rather see it on a premium channel like HBO you could start with Miller stores and then just go down the line Smith, Bendis, Brubaker exc...

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Crash_Recovery

I know "The Dark Knight" has been hyped to death by the fanboy base, but I think, conceptually, it works pretty well as a Daredevil film as well as a Batman film.

xRonanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43  Edited By xRonanx

Anything done by Mark Waid is pure gold. He should helm the writing and give us something brilliant like he always does. Anyone not reading his run on DaredDevil should do so NOW.

wdchefdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By wdchefdave

If Daredevil became a TV series... it would become a pale view of his character.

Did anyone see what they did to him and Thor in those Hulk made for TV movies?!?

Frank Miller style... no ninjas... no Electra... no black Kingpins!!!

In fact... no Kingpins at all!

Done to death!

batmarcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By batmarcus

Am I the only one who wants Shadowland made into a movie??

Hermatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hermatt

How about create a Marvel Knights Cinematic universe? Daredevil, Punisher, Heroes for hire. More street level, gritty and dark. Throw a few connections in but not a direct interaction with the Avengers.

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#47  Edited By karrob

Take the Blade approach. capable actors that can act, perform there own stunts and actually know the character. With a 20 mil budget this movie could be great.

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheHeat

Ryan Gosling as DD.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CrimsonCake

I actually liked the Ben Affleck Movie O.O

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Superguy0009e

Return it to Marvel like all of the other properties, and then start connecting them.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.