Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4764 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

My Five Favorite Comic Characters #5

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Edited By slade_wilson

So if you follow me, you may or may not have seen my Favorite Comic Characters list. If not, it's there. Look at it. The list is totally random, without any order or logical arrangement. So for my own entertainment, I thought I'd publish my official Five Favorite Comic Characters in order in individual blog posts. That said, I'd like to start with Number Five.

No Caption Provided

#5 Daredevil

Daredevil. Matthew Michael Murdock. The Scarlet Swashbuckler. The Man Without Fear. When I think of Daredevil, I think of excitement. Everything about DD screams fun and energy. When I first laid eyes on Paolo Rivera's Daredevil #1 and saw Matt's brilliant smile, I knew that series was gonna be a smash hit. Even in Daredevil Noir, my favorite niche limited series ever, there was a certain light shining through Tomm Coker's shadow-y art. He is a circus acrobat fighting crime. I may be one of the few to admit this, but I actually prefer the classic yellow and brown costume to the solid red tights he has worn for the past thirty-something years. It supports the acrobat feel to the character and, well I don't know know how to put it, adds more than the devil=red. It's a more creative and original look for the character. I especially like how Jeph Loeb tied that look to Jack Murdock. Great way to commemorate Battlin' Jack. Speaking of Matt's dad and childhood, DD has an origin story I could never get tired of reading. I actually own four different interpretations of his origin all putting their own spin on what made Matt into the Marvel's greatest Knight. Loeb and Sale's Yellow took a retrospective look on the events while Miller took that to an in-the-moment look on Matt's young adult years. Each deserves respect and each has it's own place in Daredevil lore. That's another thing I love about Daredevil. His history is very distinct. You have the Early Years done in part by the Man, the Miller Era, the Bendis Saga, and what looks to be the greatest of them all, the Waid Age. Along with very important miniseries and limited runs by amazing writers and artists, there are few moments in DD's literary life where one may be confused as to who penned an issue, very little is muddled together and forgotten. But most of all, I love Daredevil because of his disability. To me, blindness affecting Daredevil is too specific. It is that general fact that in some way he is disabled that allows for thousands of readers to share a special connection with Matt. Maybe you're deaf or not the quickest thinker or restricted to a wheelchair or walking assistant. It is that Daredevil was able to overcome the cards he was dealt to become an awe-inspiring superhero and idol of thousands. It is that "Daredevil beat blindness, maybe I can _____________" mindset that allows me and many others to connect with Matt. It is Daredevil's spectacular ability, fearlessness, bravery, his exciting nature and colorful costume. It is his swashbuckling, throw-caution-to-the-wind attitude that makes him such a spectacular hero. He is my fifth favorite comic character and I can say for absolute certainty that the words, "Here Comes... DAREDEVIL The Man Without Fear" will be burned into my mind for all of my life.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#1  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I also recently became a biig Daredevil fan reading Mark Weid's current run. I'm gonna buy some good Daredevil trades from Amazon soon.

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJ62

Love Daredevil, I always have. He's my #2 favorite, nice write up. DD is awesome.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By G_Money_Christmas

Daredevil is my favorite Marvel character easily. In my list of favorites he's up there with Batman and Superman in Top 3. I can't decide who I like best so I have just grouped them all at Number 1. For some reason I decided to pick up the X-Men book one day and he was in 2 issues with Domino and he was also in Winter Soldier, and for some reason it piqued my interest. Now I have all of Waid's run, all of End of Days, Volumes 1 and 2 of Bendis' run, Volume 1 of Miller's run, and Volume 1 of the Dardevil Marvel Essentials. Out of all my books, I easily have the most Daredevil books. I love him and I can't stay away from reading more about him. I hate when he gets left out of Marvel events or plays a very minor role when he is such a great all around character.

G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By G_Money_Christmas

@slade_wilson said:

No Caption Provided

So if you follow me, you may or may not have seen my Favorite Comic Characters list. If not, it's there. Look at it. The list is totally random, without any order or logical arrangement. So for my own entertainment, I thought I'd publish my official Five Favorite Comic Characters in order in individual blog posts. That said, I'd like to start with Number Five.

I just looked up that picture and I am totally getting a poster out of that. I already found one. I love that picture of him. I have always liked the pictures of him where he's wearing the boxing gear, I think he looks at his coolest then.His face is kinda ugly in this picture but I'm sure it's to showcase how he gets the crap beaten out of him.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By slade_wilson

@G_Money_Christmas:

That is easily my favorite piece of non-comic book comic art I've ever seen. I have never tired of looking at it. I'm happy that you share my view on Daredevil and have taken the time to read my blog.

G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By G_Money_Christmas

@slade_wilson: It is currently my phone background, my twitter background, and I'm hoping to get a poster out of it. I found a site that has it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.