Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4764 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

If the eyes are the window to the soul, what if you are blind?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

No Caption Provided
    So I ran into an older CV contact online last night who I don’t cross paths with very often because we are into different aspects of the site.  As his profile picture he had what I thought was a beautiful picture of Matt Murdock.  It got me to thinking though, because they say the eyes are the window to the soul- so what happens if you are blind?   I think in saying that eyes are the window to the soul there is both a literal and figurative meaning to that.  In terms of people looking at you and determining your mood, the eyes are one of the most telling areas.   There are people who are good at masking emotions, but you can’t really fake pupil dilation.   I have read that this is a reason why blue eyes are generally considered more attractive.  Because of the light blue colour it is easier to see differences in comparison to the size of the pupil, thus subconsciously we can tell whether someone is lying to us or in serious distress a lot easier with blue eyes as opposed to any other colour.   This is of course an evolutionary advantage, because if you surround yourself with people you know you can trust then you are less likely to get a knife (or cro-magnon club) in the back, and therefore people with blue eyes have an evolutionary advantage and like many evolutionary advantages, those things become hard wired into us which we come to regard as attractiveness.   This is a pretty technical aspect of the “windows of the soul” comment.   The more figurative is that our eyes are our major sensing organ and I think in respects to our place on this earth they give us the most experiences which in turn affects us the most for who we become.   In fact there are people who develop temporary blindness for events which are too frightening to them, almost as a defence mechanism against disturbing their impression of the world.  

So where does this leave Matt Murdock?   I think in context of lacking sight he is pretty well off in comparison to most blind people, as his sight is made up for by his exceptional hearing (plus he got to do that “I can see you because its raining” thing with Elektra in the movie, which I thought was quite romantic even though the rest of the movie was a little off.)   Of course I think this comes down inherently to the spirit of the person, and that the saying is basically just a sort of a catchy thing which doesn’t have much meaning.   After all looking at Matt you wouldn’t get much out of his eyes, despite the noble hero that lies below.       

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By InnerVenom123

Eyes are the window. Mouth is the door.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SC  Moderator

I actually tend to think you could get a lot out of a blinds persons eyes. The type Matt is. I think people look more honest when they know eyes aren't on them. It's like when you look at a photo of someone who is looking away or in their own little world. Even applicable to ones self. Its the blind people with no eyes at all I worry for... 

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#3  Edited By RazzaTazz

@SC

I didnt really think about it that way.  I suppose it depends on the nature of the blindness.  If it is in the brain, then it might be the case, if it was a physcial problem (like a detached nerve) then it might not be as noticeable. 

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @RazzaTazz:  I get what you mean, thats a good point. I actually tried looking for blind people, a certain type that sort of resemble Matt's type, but I google tended to come up with the other types. The image for your blog though, its a good choice, thats what I sort of mean, he can't see though his eyes, but in a way I feel the way his face frames them, sort of tells us a lot about him. His eyebrows, his position of head, looking up or down. All these things that frame his eyes, and the fact that they are not as active as a person who uses their eyes, in subtle ways, generally subconscious to hide or mask thoughts and emotions. (to various extents) So no eye rolling from Matt, winks, stares to the side etc, 
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By daredevil21134

good stuff

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Caligula

Blind people are like cloudy windows, their intents are a little harder to judge. But it terms of a metaphor, there is more than one way to look into a house, you just have to find it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.