Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4764 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

How much can he "see"?

dieguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dieguy

I was always wondering what Daredevil senses showed him. I know he can do things like fly a plane and read, so is really blind, color-blind, or something else?

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MrMiracle77

The knowledge that I've gained of radars over the past three years has lead me to believe that the average DD writer has very little working knowledge of how radar returns work.  

I think the broad interpretation is one of a 'spatial sense'.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Icon

He can "read" and such, yes, but not like you and I do. He simply uses his other enhanced senses in ways we can't. Frankly, he does not "see" anything. His radar sense makes him aware of his surroundings and lets him interpret specific stimuli, but not see. 

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By daredevil21134

@Icon said:

"He can "read" and such, yes, but not like you and I do. He simply uses his other enhanced senses in ways we can't. Frankly, he does not "see" anything. His radar sense makes him aware of his surroundings and lets him interpret specific stimuli, but not see.  "

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RedK
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C7RVJCtKKM 

think this is the best way to show how he sees, obviously it's not limited to rain, his radar uses all sounds even the ones that we can't hear, along with his sense of touch being able to feel the air in the room letting him know the objects in their by the way it moves around those objects
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By daredevil21134

yup

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ReverseNegative

It's similar to echo location, like bats use. I've always said the Daredevil deserves to be called Batman more than Bruce Wayne just because of that.

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RedK

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By ReverseNegative
    @RedK said:
    "

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    "
    That's horribly inaccurate. That's infrared. Daredevil does not have infrared, he just uses echo location. I believe it is basically the same way it is depicted in the movie, except red instead of blue.
    RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RedK
    @ReverseNegative:  but he's not just using his hearing not build an image of the world, he's also using smell and and touch witch lets him feel his surroundings by the way the air moves around the room and around objects and people.
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Icon
    @RedK: Exactly. While echolocation is a major part of it, his other enhanced senses help to form/shape his radar as well (feeling vibrations from movement, smells and odors around, etc). Like it says at the beginning of the comic. His senses were "heightened to superhuman sharpness and form a radar sense." 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.