Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4764 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

Fringe Screenwriter Hired to Base New Daredevil Movie On Born Again

• 57 results
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
    The theme song that Drowning Pool and Rob Zombie made for this was killer. Just for the record.
    The theme song that Drowning Pool and Rob Zombie made for this was killer. Just for the record.

Has it seriously been eight years since the DAREDEVIL movie came out? Man, am I getting old? THR’s just got word that Fox’s long-discussed reboot has just brought on Brad Caleb Kane to script the project. You maniacs are likely more familiar with his work on FRINGE but I suspect his last movie, BROOKLYN’S FINEST, will be more relevant to the gritty blood-on-pavement tone of this project, which will be an adaptation of the seminal “Born Again” storyline. You maniacs will recall that the storyline’s was about DD’s ex, Karen Page, selling the secret of his double identity for some smack and that betrayal ultimately allowing the Kingpin to tear Matt Murdock’s life apart. That’s the storyline with the memorable line, “A man without a fear is a man without hope.”

Oddly enough, the news of this is coming out around the same time that another project of Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli's, YEAR ONE, is nearing release. The Daily Blam just got a hold of an EPK about the toon feature as well as some production art that makes it look like it’ll be an exceptionally faithful, panel-to-frame adapation of the seminal Batman story.

You know, DAREDEVIL was another superhero where I couldn’t understand the backlash. I really think detractors were prejudiced against it because of objections to Affleck's celebrity outside the movie. Fighting meet cutes at the playground aside, I liked how it told a story a little removed from the usual origin and also more fully explored how brutal the vigilante lifestyle would be.

Feel free to state your case in disagreement with my take, of course.

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Green Skin

As long as they get somone else to play DD and make it darker, it could end up being very good.    The funny thing is Affleck wasn't even the worst part of that movie.   The portrayals of Elektra and Bullseye are what ruined the movie, IMHO.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Eyz

Noooo! It's still being made by 20th Century Fox! I just wanted a Marvel movie reboot..not an improvised lackbuster to "keep the rights longer before they revert back to Marvel"-kind of movie...

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By NightFang3

Could be interesting, but what I really want to know is the film gonna be a origin story and who's playing the Kingpin.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Although Born Again was amazing Matt dident really where the DD costume for like 90% of the time, how are they going to do that in a movie?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Green Skin said:

As long as they get somone else to play DD and make it darker, it could end up being very good.    The funny thing is Affleck wasn't even the worst part of that movie.   The portrayals of Elektra and Bullseye are what ruined the movie, IMHO.

I loved Bullseye. 

Good call on Garner though; she's awful. 

@Eyz said:

Noooo! It's still being made by 20th Century Fox! I just wanted a Marvel movie reboot..not an improvised lackbuster to "keep the rights longer before they revert back to Marvel"-kind of movie...

At least if 20th Century Fox do it there's a very remote chance the film will be somewhat high-minded, if Marvel Studios did it it would be generic action fare. Enjoyable, but generic.
    Planewalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Planewalker

I kinda liked the original movie, but I'm not much of a DD fan, so I'll probably check it out anyway maybe cuz I like Superheroes movies

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Since its been this long i would have thought the rights would have shifted back to Marvel? seems not though.

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I thought Daredevil was pretty dark. I'm not sure what went wrong with it, except maybe that it was a Daredevil movie that tried to cram everything in it including the kicthen sink and the death of Elektra. Maybe that was it. Now if it had been called Daredevil and Elektra that would have been something else...

Avatar image for deactivated-5dc80e5fe9494
    deactivated-5dc80e5fe9494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just have one question...  how many people here have seen the directors cut of daredevil ?  if you have i'm sire you'll agree that is the proper version of the film and not the dilluted crap in the cinemas

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @howlett76 said:
    just have one question...  how many people here have seen the directors cut of daredevil ?  if you have i'm sire you'll agree that is the proper version of the film and not the dilluted crap in the cinemas
    I have, it's a lot better. It's still not a great representation of the character, but as a film, it's much better.
    Radread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Radread

I think I'm a lot more happier by hearing this news.
    Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12  Edited By ReverseNegative

Not FOX!!!!

dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dorsk188

I also liked (but didn't love) the Daredevil film.  It was a good first try and Affleck did okay.  They probably should have saved Electra for a different film and had the film focus on DD's love interest with a more normal person (or at least save Electra's martial arts and such for another day and have her be a more normal girl).  In any case, I welcome a reboot, but more than that, I want a Daredevil game in the same vein as Arkham Asylum...

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Eyz
    @ReverseNegative said:
    Not FOX!!!!
    Exactly!

And for the others, don't try defending Fox! Everything they've released this last decade, every so called "blockbuster"'s been mostly awful lackbusters.
    Zero budget, meaning one or two big action scenes "just for the trailers", a 100% rentable movie that will make profits (AVP1, 2..) even with little rteception, awful mess of a plot, generic plot/characters.. It's no surprise they either have one big "name" (ex: Hugh Jackman in Wolverine Origins) and then run out of budget so all the action scenes end up generic and boring (without even thinking about the awful CGi-enhanced or not bad endings be it in X-men 3, Fantastic Four 1 or 2, Wolverine Origins..)

I mean, they even messed up Die Hard in that random popcorn movie that was Die Hard 4...
    katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By katanalauncher

Modestly excited, fingers crossed and it won't suck.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Eyz said:
    @ReverseNegative said:
    Not FOX!!!!
    Exactly!  And for the others, don't try defending Fox! Everything they've released this last decade, every so called "blockbuster"'s been mostly awful lackbusters. Zero budget, meaning one or two big action scenes "just for the trailers", a 100% rentable movie that will make profits (AVP1, 2..) even with little rteception, awful mess of a plot, generic plot/characters.. It's no surprise they either have one big "name" (ex: Hugh Jackman in Wolverine Origins) and then run out of budget so all the action scenes end up generic and boring (without even thinking about the awful CGi-enhanced or not bad endings be it in X-men 3, Fantastic Four 1 or 2, Wolverine Origins..)  I mean, they even messed up Die Hard in that random popcorn movie that was Die Hard 4...
    Die Hard 4.0 was awesome -____-
    nobodythere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By nobodythere

Have loved DD all my life and I enjoyed the 2003 Daredevil film a great deal. With the first movie my fiancée and I saw together. I'm glad Marvel is doing another Daredevil film and I'm hoping it'll be as enjoyable as the first one was.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Trodorne
    @Eyz said:
    I know what you mean. Fox sucks.
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By CATPANEXE

I'll reserve anything for this considering it's announced with a different crew and what not every year (from a reliable source each time).
    Not denying this either, but not unexpected that this may get shelved again before it starts. This may be more that I actually don't want this
    film to happen in a way, as I would rather have different Marvel characters explored than ones that already have been, or better expansion,
    like say given Luke Cage is now confirmed a Marvel Knights and/or Heroes For Hire film.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#20  Edited By Decept-O

I do agree that there was a lot of uncalled for dissing on Affleck. I also never understood it. Some people just hate the guy. I was OK with him as Murdock. Not my first choice but I thought he did a good enough job. Yeah, the whole playground scene still makes me queasy. Wasn't too fond of the choice for Kingpin but it grew on me. Colin Ferrel, though, and his jumping and dancing around on the organ pipes, and his over the top portrayal really sunk what could have been a far better movie.

It is hard to say if this new attempt will be a reboot per se, but just a continuation? Fox got away with the X-Men ( I know its doing well but haven't seen it ) but they should let Daredevil go.

Jacko77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jacko77

I don´t have more fingers to cross!!! 
    A dark and violent movie and a good Daredevil game could be great
    but "Born again"??perfect to me,but what about the costume?

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mbecks14
    No Caption Provided
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

I liked the movie..... but it needs a reboot.

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Chaos Burn

Hope Bullseye is in it again...

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't care much for Affleck myself but that's not why the movie wasn't all that great to me.  It was a worthy experiment but it just didn't seem to have the dark intensity we'd see in a DD storyline.  For me the real show was Colin Farrel as Bullseye. His portrayal was just awesome I thought, and I don't normally say that about Colin who's roles I usually abhor.  

StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#26  Edited By StarKiller809

I liked to old movie. I know a lot of people didn't. I have never read a Dardevil comic so maybe that is why I liked it. I think him getting a nother movie is a good idea. I think that both companies should be giving more characters movies.
    The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#27  Edited By The Mast

It was a garbage movie, that's what everyone's problem was. Subjectivity considered, of course.

Bullseye was an Irish caricature. Considering he's arguably my favourite villain in Marvel, I wasn't happy. I was not going to sit there and say, "Just take it as a different version. It's someone else's take on the characters." in hopes of excusing how terrible it was.

The Director's Cut was better, but still a far cry from what Daredevil deserves to be.

Affleck's celebrity didn't bother me, he just wasn't meant for the role. He was too big, I think. Daredevil has always been a more elegant, but less scrawny look. Like a more buff Spidey. It makes sense they'd have a more durable costume, but with Spider-Man pulling off a tight costume, I don't see why Daredevil can't.

I DID love the way they portrayed his radar sense.

If Fox is doing this, or anyone other than Marvel, I fear for it.

-The Mast

maxicere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By maxicere

Awesome news!!

Avatar image for thecheckeredman
    thecheckeredman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thecheckeredman

DD would work so much better as a 10pm serialized television show ala Law & Order with an emphasis on Matt and Foggy and their firm.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By InnerVenom123

Rob Zombie/Drowning Pool's theme was f**king AWESOME. 

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iLLituracy

I like Fringe...it has enough comic book references in the show for me to have faith that the script will be decent enough.

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By They Killed Cap!

Sounds interesting
    mhanson108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mhanson108

Wish it went to Marvel.

redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By redmanta

marvel movies suck

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By karrob
    @Eyz said:
    The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#36  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

so, does this mean there is going to be a long drawn out plot where you don't understand a lot of whats happening until the the very end?

Preacherl2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Preacherl2k
    @Eyz said:
    Amen to that. I want the rights to ALL Marvel properties to go back to MARVEL especially the X-MEN and FF, the sooner this happens the better!!!!!!!!!!
    xanthiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By xanthiss
    @spiderbat87 said:
    Although Born Again was amazing Matt dident really where the DD costume for like 90% of the time, how are they going to do that in a movie?
    T-shirts!
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#39  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @xanthiss said:
    @spiderbat87 said:
    T-shirts!
    yea but having him be matt in a dd film is gona be crap for non-comic fans
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By daredevil21134

I don't like Born Again as the plot.It was a great story in the comic but i'm not sure how it would work out on the big screen

sladewilson30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#41  Edited By sladewilson30

yes, that song was and still is awesome
    HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HexThis

Hrm, I don't know.  

Overall I'm not the biggest Frank Miller supporter. His stories are too much about melodramatic indignation, they go beyond being just cynical and instead leave you thinking "Wow, he took a lot of risks...but the on-going theme is people are gross, damaged, and awful all around". Also he has one of the BIGGEST virgin-whore fixations. 

Karen's an innocent secretary who becomes a junkie pornstar who comes back around to being reformed but takes an anti-porno stance then she dies. There also always a nun to the rescue as well....why does Miller love nuns and prostitutes so goddamn much? He made Catwoman a prostitute and her sister a nun. Daredevil's mom is nun too. According to Miller, if you're a woman you're either a complete whore or nun (or angelic whorish nun) but never anything different or in-between. Or you're just a killer.

Renee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By Renee

LOVED the first one, one of my favorite superhero movies.

Avatar image for scarlettexashes
    scarlettexashes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By scarlettexashes

....if we're rebooting Daredevil...I vote we just do a Black Widow film instead. 

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By shawn87

About time. Daredevil is one of my favorite characters. There's so many awesome stories that could be adapted to the big screen. Born Again is a fine choice. I just hope they get someone with acting skills to play Daredevil

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By JonesDeini

I was looking forward to this until you said the words "Brooklyn's Finest"...

Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47  Edited By Dark Cell

I liked the Daredevil film......*Flame shields activated* 

Looking forward to a new film though :)
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Eyz
    @Preacherl2k: Yeah! Let the creators themselves handle their proprieties!
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Eyz
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @Eyz said:
    @ReverseNegative said:
    Not FOX!!!!
    Exactly!  And for the others, don't try defending Fox! Everything they've released this last decade, every so called "blockbuster"'s been mostly awful lackbusters. Zero budget, meaning one or two big action scenes "just for the trailers", a 100% rentable movie that will make profits (AVP1, 2..) even with little rteception, awful mess of a plot, generic plot/characters.. It's no surprise they either have one big "name" (ex: Hugh Jackman in Wolverine Origins) and then run out of budget so all the action scenes end up generic and boring (without even thinking about the awful CGi-enhanced or not bad endings be it in X-men 3, Fantastic Four 1 or 2, Wolverine Origins..)  I mean, they even messed up Die Hard in that random popcorn movie that was Die Hard 4...
    Lemme guess...first Die Hard/action movie you've ever seen?
    Too much CGi, not enough "real" action sequence, no violence, no real threat (come on, terrorist of the internet shutting down a country? really?), not much badass cowboy attitude.. and going from Sam Jackson as sidekick to the "Mac guy"...ugh...
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Eyz said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @Eyz said:
    @ReverseNegative said:
    Not FOX!!!!
    Lemme guess...first Die Hard/action movie you've ever seen? Too much CGi, not enough "real" action sequence, no violence, no real threat (come on, terrorist of the internet shutting down a country? really?), not much badass cowboy attitude.. and going from Sam Jackson as sidekick to the "Mac guy"...ugh...
    Lordy no. I've seen every Die Hard, I'm a huge fan of the franchise. It returned to the Die Hard formula, which the awful third one ignored. John McClane doesn't need a sidekick, Matt Farrell was his partner, like Powell and the Janitor in the first two. They helped, but were never equals with McClane. John didn't know anything about tech stuff, so Matt helped, otherwise he got out of the way and let Bruce Willis do his thing; which is be the biggest badass in the Universe. 

The plane scene was ridiculous, but other than that, it was just a fun action movie with the best action movie hero ever killing bad guys and being awesome. Die Hard isn't supposed to be cerebral, and it wasn't, it was just great for what it was. 

With A Vengeance was easily the worst Die Hard. No saving the family, no holiday, and a buddy cop mentality? Fail.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.