Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4759 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

Fox's 'Daredevil' Movie No More?

• 82 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

If you follow Marvel and superhero movie news at all then you know that in order for studios like Sony and Fox to retain the rights to use Marvel characters like Daredevil and Spider-Man in their movies, these companies need to keep making movies based on these characters. Back in 2003, Fox had purchased the rights to use Daredevil, Elektra, Kingpin and Bullseye (oh, and Foggy Nelson, too) for their movie Daredevil, starring Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner. That was in 2003.

No Caption Provided

In order for Fox to keep the rights to use those characters, they will have to launch a Daredevil film into production starting this October -- that's a little less than two months away. Now, if you anything about the way Hollywood works, then you know that it can sometimes take months to get a project off the ground because of all the things you need to make a movie. The film company needs a script, a cast, a director to helm the project and of course, funding -- and that's just the tip of the iceberg. So, what are the chances that Fox will have all those things ready to go this October in order to retain the rights to Daredevil? According to Director Joe Carnahan (The Grey, Narc) who is tied to the project, not very likely. Carnahan took to Twitter to hint that the project may have "gone up in smoke."

== TEASER ==

“Think my idea for a certain retro, red-suited, Serpico-styled superhero went up in smoke today kids…“We shall see. Time is NOT on anyone’s side.”

Most of us who love superhero movies can probably agree that Fox's Daredevil film wasn't exactly the best superhero movie (no offense to those of you who love the film). In fact, we bet that most DD fans wouldn't mind seeing a different Daredevil movie adaptation come into fruition. And according to a report by Variety (courtesy of EW), as of last week, there was still a slight chance that an extension could happen. Apparently, Marvel Studios was willing to give Fox a deadline extension on Daredevil in exchange for the rights to Silver Surfer and Galactus. However, it seems Fox is already planning a relaunch of Fantastic Four (a package which both Silver Surfer and Galactus are part of) by Josh Trank (Chonicle). However, Fantastic Four characters aren't the only properties being held onto by Fox -- many of the X-Men have been nabbed as well, so perhaps Fox will be willing to give some of those up in order to obtain an extension on Daredevil? We will have to wait and see. What do you think of the fact the Fox wants to relaunch Daredevil? Would you rather see the property revert to Marvel Studios? Would you like to see Marvel launch a Daredevil movie?

Source: EW and Variety

cc1738

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By cc1738

I'd rather have the rights revert back to Marvel anyway.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I would rather see it go back to Marvel

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Loki9876

Yes, let the rights go to marvel then we can have a DD movie in the MCU.

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JohnnyWalker

pfff daredevil's a superstar now. directing jla. aint got time for this no more.

CaptainCyke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By CaptainCyke

Could they try to argue that Elektra was a sequel to Daredevil to keep the rights?

GR2Blackout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 63

#6  Edited By GR2Blackout

@cc1738 said:

This. After what Fox did to Deadpool, I'd rather have ALL of the rights they have go straight back to Marvel.

Avatar image for notoriousmistersims
    notoriousmistersims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah daredevil done at marvel would be great but would love to see what marvel are goin to do if they get surfer and galactus over at marvel dat would be alot bigger to me then a daredevil film

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Obviously I think Marvel Studios would do a stellar job with a Daredevil film (if given the chance to make it) - their track record is great so far - but the real question for me is how would it connect to their greater picture? It's clear they're going for a heavily intertwined universe, so it's tough to imagine how they'll find a way to throw Murdock into the mix of powerhouses and such.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#9  Edited By TheCannon

I don't know what to think of this. To me, FOX did deserve another chance, but, I won't complain about Marvel having him. As long as it's good, I don't care who makes it.

Mandrewgora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mandrewgora

"retro, red-suited, Serpico-styled superhero" I am totally into that idea.

Avatar image for carnivalofsins00
    carnivalofsins00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 155

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By carnivalofsins00

As terrible as Ben Affleck's Daredevil was, I loved The Grey, and would have really liked to see what Joe Carnahan would have done.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Come on Marvel, try and trade the DD rights for FF.

seifertjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By seifertjr

Please let Marvel have it back. DD was a monster turd of a film. VIVA LA REBOOT!

Avatar image for crazyflashfan11
    crazyflashfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crazyflashfan11

Id want a FF relaunch over DD any day.

windcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By windcaster

It would be kick ass to see Silver Surfer and Galactus in the MCU. If they got the FF than I would die of a nerdgasm!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#16  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @k4tzm4n said:

Obviously I think Marvel Studios would do a stellar job with a Daredevil film (if given the chance to make it) - their track record is great so far - but the real question for me is how would it connect to their greater picture? It's clear they're going for a heavily intertwined universe, so it's tough to imagine how they'll find a way to throw Murdock into the mix of powerhouses and such.

I don't think Marvel can make a dark or serious enough film for DD to be good 
    cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cmaprice

No way Fox would surrender rights to any X-Men in exchange for Daredevil.

X-Men is their Marvel cash cow, sadly. 

It's a shame that the properties Marvel has been regaining recently, namely Punisher, Blade, and Daredevil, are the properties that are arguably too dark for Disney to produce proper films.

These characters would make for a great street-level hero response to the Avengers films. A crossover franchise called Marvel Knights or something along those lines? Yes please.

broo1232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 180

User Lists: 45

#18  Edited By broo1232

Get back to Marvel and get a good film! NOW!

Adriell2124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Adriell2124

I've always felt that Daredevil was a character really well suited for the big screen. Hell, POV shots would absolutely badass.

CRTrobinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CRTrobinson

Quit covering it so much or they will catch on that the deadline is looming!!! Geeesh!

Gonzo33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gonzo33

A Daredevil movie made by Marvel Studios based on Waid's run would be perfect. Millar's run wouldn't fit the cinematic universe Disney have already set up.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AngeTheDude

@cmaprice said:

It's a shame that the properties Marvel has been regaining recently, namely Punisher, Blade, and Daredevil, are the properties that are arguably too dark for Disney to produce proper films. These characters would make for a great street-level hero response to the Avengers films. A crossover franchise called Marvel Knights or something along those lines? Yes please.

Keep in mind that Disney puts out plenty of adult-oriented films through their Touchstone label. Disney won't blink at an R-rated flick if they think it can make money. R-rated Marvel won't make as much money in the theaters but it can still make PLENTY of merchandising sales.

the3rdborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By the3rdborn

MARVEL! MARVEL! MARVEL!

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Crash_Recovery

Daredevil (particularly the directors cut) wasn't bad at all for the time it was created. We've become a bit spoiled since then with some of the higher quality comic-based films we've enjoyed (though there are still plenty of clunkers). Fox has had plenty of time to use this property and, if their rights are running out, so be it.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Master_Thief

LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT LOSE IT..... sony its your turn

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Green ankh

It wasnt Ban that was bad. It was the crap Bullseye, miscast King Pin and Elektra. I still think Jennifer Garner would have made a better Black Widow.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Bestostero

the next Fantastic Four movie should involve Namor! who has the right to Namor anyways? cause meh to them for not allowing him to be in mvc and maa... boooooo!!!

DoctorTrips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By DoctorTrips

I actually liked the Daredevil movie when it came out, and liked the Director's Cut even more, especially since it introduced me to Daredevil. But given Marvel's track record I can honestly say I'm rooting for them to get the rights back. They need their best characters in the MCU, from the bright and vibrant heroes (the Avengers) to the dark and edgy crowd (Daredevil, Punisher, ex cetera) because they can fit in the same universe and it'd be cool to see them fit in.

I'd heard a while ago that they wanted the Daredevil movie to be like Marvel's "Dark Knight" just a big crime epic with a noir tone and I'd still love to see them go through with that, because out of all the Marvel superheroes I think it fits with Daredevil best. Marvel knows how to adapt their characters to the screen so when, if, (probably) they bring him to theaters I'll be there to see it.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jinxuandi

I don't know why people are so happy about this. Marvel couldn't make a Daredevil movie until 2016 at the earliest, assuming they have any interest in a solo movie at all. More likely Matt Murdock will just be worked in as a cameo as Tony Stark's lawyer.

Personally, I'd rather a 2 mediocre Fox movies to a cameo...but that's just me.

NuclearLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NuclearLife

I just wish all the properties would got back to Marvel Studios, because they have shown they can make great movies, while FOX really hasn't done anything worth note. Maybe let FOX have the darker characters, but FF and the Xmen should be with Marvel.

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
    Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmaprice said:

It's a shame that the properties Marvel has been regaining recently, namely Punisher, Blade, and Daredevil, are the properties that are arguably too dark for Disney to produce proper films.

Yea because the only thing that Disney will ever do is stuff like Finding Nemo & Snow White.

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By They Killed Cap!

Fox losing the rites to any marvel product can only be good.

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By Ganthetsward20

@They Killed Cap!: 100% percent agree, I hated all the movies they have put out with marvel heroes

hazmat103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hazmat103

i hope the rights go to Marvel.

jcbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jcbart

Honestly, I'd prefer Fox to give Marvel Studios the rights to a few X-Men characters and keep Daredevil. Daredevil wouldn't get made by Marvel Studios for years given its busy schedule, but imagine how awesome it would be if Marvel gets the rights to Storm or definite rights to Scarlet Witch? They could slip them into Avengers films.

JMLG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JMLG

@cmaprice said:

It's a shame that the properties Marvel has been regaining recently, namely Punisher, Blade, and Daredevil, are the properties that are arguably too dark for Disney to produce proper films. These characters would make for a great street-level hero response to the Avengers films. A crossover franchise called Marvel Knights or something along those lines? Yes please.

true story

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37  Edited By RedOwl_1

@cmaprice said:

These characters would make for a great street-level hero response to the Avengers films. A crossover franchise called Marvel Knights or something along those lines? Yes please.

OH YES PLEASE!!! Marvel move your asses and do it >:D

kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By kingjoeg

Would rather have galactus and silver surfer in the mmu rather than daredevil. He works better alone.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Video_Martian

THANK GOD, now we can finally get a decent Daredevil movie...

Falrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Falrent

As sweet as it would be to have DD revert back to Marvel, it would be amazing to have Silver Surfer and Galactus back. A Marvel movie with them would be so awesome, this has got me excited now haha.

Barkley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Barkley

let marvel reboot it in the current marvel movie universe...Daredevil is and Avenger too

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By Miss_Garrick

I think Marvel should get the rights back. I liked the Fox Daredevil movie a little, but Marvel is bound to make a better version.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By Decept-O

Man. Really Now Fox can also negotiate for the FF & X-Men? WTF. Please, Fox & Sony let the rights return to Marvel Studios. God knows you've done a bang-up job so far. X-Men: First Class being the exception but even that had a lot of problems.

p_rixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By p_rixx

I don't really think DD is fit for marvel's cinematic universe, at least for now, that's why i don't really care which studio is going to make a movie. The only thing i really care about at this point is that the movie is good. If i've read it right (and i might have not, i suspect there's a typo), Josh Trank is tied to new FF reboot. His debut movie Chronicle was absolutely amazing and i might even follow the news on the reboot, even though i'm far from being a FFfan (get it?, as if i stutter... whatever). So i hope that whoever gets to making the movie is capable of making it stand out on it's own. Like with Nolan's trilogy.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#45  Edited By nappystr8

Any characters we can get back in the Marvel Studios wheelhouse the better. Daredevil was my favorite superhero film back in 2003, but seeing as this would have been a reboot anyway, I trust Marvel more with the property than FOX. Here's to hoping.

Big_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Big_Nasty

Fox only tried to rush a DD movie out so they wouldn't have to give it to marvel. Now just cant wait for them to turn over the Fantastic 4.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By joshmightbe

Hopefully Marvel gets the rights back and makes Daredevil their TV show set in the Cinematic Universe

j0nnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By j0nnyboy

@cc1738 said:

^This^

I'd also like to see Galactus and SS go to MArvel so we can see Galactus done right dammit!

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SandMan_

Dammmit..this means no Galactus..

Avatar image for supermanfan122508
    supermanfan122508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel would do a better job.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.