Did You Read Frank Miller's Daredevil Run?

#1 Edited by HoldyourfireAl (339 posts) - - Show Bio

I started this same thread on my site and included pics of every cover, which I won't repeat here, so if you want to see them all, go here:

http://www.statuemarvels.com/f87/daredevil-frank-miller-have-bowen-fans-read-17040.html

Anyway, this topic has been on my mind since the new Bowen Designs Gladiator statue (we discuss & post pics about a lot of Bowen stuff) was produced with a very low run of 350.

This made me crazy! Why didn't people order this statue I asked? The biggest response seemed to be: "I never read anything with the character in it." I was floored! To me, this meant that the members of my site had not read Frank Miller, Brian Michael Bendis and Ed Brubaker's Daredevil runs, let alone the Silver and Bronze Age DDs and Iron Man issues in which Gladiator appeared. I guess the biggest thing that shocked me was that so many Marvel fans had never read one of Marvel's most important and great series in their publishing history.

It made me curious on a broader level, away from the small demographic of statue collectors. Are many current Marvel fans ignorant of the Frank Miller Daredevil? That's why I thought to bring this poll here. I want to know: Am I a dying breed? Has the comic reading world changed so much that today's fans haven't experienced this run that not only changed comic books forever, but still affect them to this day?

Please take the time to vote AND express your thoughts. I can't wait to read them!

Thanks!

Al

#2 Edited by Vance Astro (91110 posts) - - Show Bio

I read Daredevil volume 1,2&3(up to current) in full.Miller's run isn't better than Brubaker's or Bendis' IMO.

#3 Posted by daredevil21134 (10828 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

I read Daredevil volume 1,2&3(up to current) in full.Miller's run isn't better than Brubaker's or Bendis' IMO.

I respectfully disagree

#4 Posted by Vance Astro (91110 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:

@Vance Astro said:

I respectfully disagree

I disagree with myself.I think Brubaker's run is better than Miller's not Bendis'.
#5 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1668 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved his run. That's exactly the version of Daredevil I really liked.

#6 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it. (although I have no respect for Miller anymore, since he attacked the occupy movement).

#7 Posted by longbowhunter (6739 posts) - - Show Bio

Only Born Again, but I plan to purchase and read through his run very soon.

#8 Posted by daredevil21134 (10828 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Vance Astro said:

I respectfully disagree

I disagree with myself.I think Brubaker's run is better than Miller's not Bendis'.

LOL

#9 Posted by feebadger (1436 posts) - - Show Bio

@HoldyourfireAl:

@Vance Astro said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Vance Astro said:

I respectfully disagree

Firstly, i love anyone who can disagree with themselves so publicly. Lol.

Secondly, I have read all of Frank Millers Daredevil run and even though i love it i can't say it's the best. I also don't think Bendis' or Brubakers' are the best. I think it comes down to what resonates to the reader at the time that they're reading it. My personal fave is Ann Nocentis' run which i have written about in my blog because it came at a time when i was maturing as a comic book reader and she happened to come along with a storyline and a superhero i could absolutely love because it blew my mind. I read Frank Millers run later on in life and though on a thematic, art, subject matter sense i can appreciate that it is superior to Nocentis' run, i still prefer Nocenti.

Favoritism is a cruel mistress.

In regards to the threads original statements about being shocked that readers aren't familiar with Millers' run, i agree. If you're serious about comics you should see past your favourites and delve ever deeper into what came before.

I don't think you're a dying breed HoldyourfireAI. You may just be one of the few people who actually READS comics as opposed to the many who just talk about them from a supposedly knowledgeable viewpoint without actually loving them.

#10 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

on boxing day , i picked up a load of daredevil trades and hardcovers

i grabbed all of the miller stuff , amazing series !!!!!

#11 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I did, however read Man Without Fear and Born Again. Those are really the only important stories he wrote, no? Besides the death of Elektra?

#12 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank Millers run on Daredevil is classic, and a testament to the series and character.

You shouldn't call yourself a Daredevil fan unless you have read it

#13 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Frank Millers run on Daredevil is classic, and a testament to the series and character. You shouldn't call yourself a Daredevil fan unless you have read it

for sure !!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.