Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4764 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

did the daredevil movie hurt daredevil a lot?

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By THORSON

before the movie he was very popular with the spiderman's and hulk's. then i noticed after the movie, he has been neglected a lot.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By daredevil21134

Not really,comic wise no.

RawrImADragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RawrImADragon

If anything, it brought the character into the spotlight past just the comic book crowd. I know I'm in the minority but I actually really liked the movie when it came out. Marvel's (or rather Fox's) only mistake was not producing a sequel or even TV show before the character lost all that momentum and relevancy.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By evilvegeta74

No, Ben Affleck did all by himself!

guardiandevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By guardiandevil

@RawrImADragon: Yea I'm one of the few that enjoyed the movie, at least HE GOT A MOVIE.

Avatar image for fallen_crippled
    Fallen_Crippled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fallen_Crippled

Personally, I didn't think the movie was that bad. Could it of been better? Yes, but a lot of movies could be better. Marvel now has Daredevil's movie rights back, so lets hope they do something good with it.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By joshmightbe

If they had sent the Director's cut to the theaters the reception would have been much better. Its like a whole different movie. Also regardless of anything else MCD was great as Kingpin

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By daredevil21134

@joshmightbe said:

If they had sent the Director's cut to the theaters the reception would have been much better. Its like a whole different movie. Also regardless of anything else MCD was great as Kingpin

agreed

AllNewOverseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AllNewOverseer

I didn't think the movie was that bad. I like it and it was the first Superhero movie to play the concept more realisticlly, hell the movie is my cousin's favorite superhero movie. So overall I think the movie gave the character more attention by the general public, though with the movie rights back with Marvel, I think that a reboot or contiuation of the character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe would only help more.

Kiddevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Kiddevil

I liked that movie.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I don't think the movie hurt, but I don't think it helped either. It could have MADE Daredevil fans but in reality it just let people who don't read comics that Marvel had more characters than Spider-Man,Blade & the X-Men, that's it.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By danhimself

@joshmightbe said:

Agreed...the Director's Cut was a really good movie

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#13  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @danhimself said:

@joshmightbe said:

Agreed...the Director's Cut was a really good movie

It was the same movie...
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By joshmightbe

@Vance Astro: Just barely

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
    thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was it really that bad ? I mean yeah it Could been better yes but it really was not that bad

CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CF12793

I don't think it hurt the character. Daredevil was never really that high on the popularity list anyway. Sure, he has a huge following, but compared to Spiderman or the Hulk, he's more of a B-lister. If you were to ask a random person who Daredevil was, they might give you a vague answer or not know the character at all.

The problem that I had with that movie is that they were banking too much off the success of Spider-Man.I think the next Daredevil film should be an origin, but this time more of a focus on his training with Stick and the Chaste. I love Daredevil because he's unique and I think that if they were able to find a director who fully realized and was able to utilize him, we'd have a great movie on our hands.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

@Overseer said:

I didn't think the movie was that bad. I like it and it was the first Superhero movie to play the concept more realisticlly, hell the movie is my cousin's favorite superhero movie. So overall I think the movie gave the character more attention by the general public, though with the movie rights back with Marvel, I think that a reboot or contiuation of the character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe would only help more.

My favorite superhero movie as well. People only disliked it because of how dark it was.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By reignmaker

It hurt the opportunity for a great new movie franchise. The comic books however have remained really strong. The source material is rich enough that I'd be surprised if we don't see at least one or two good DD movies in our lifetime.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cf12793 said:

I don't think it hurt the character. Daredevil was never really that high on the popularity list anyway. Sure, he has a huge following, but compared to Spiderman or the Hulk, he's more of a B-lister. If you were to ask a random person who Daredevil was, they might give you a vague answer or not know the character at all.

The problem that I had with that movie is that they were banking too much off the success of Spider-Man.I think the next Daredevil film should be an origin, but this time more of a focus on his training with Stick and the Chaste. I love Daredevil because he's unique and I think that if they were able to find a director who fully realized and was able to utilize him, we'd have a great movie on our hands.

Interesting

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson: Really? Before the movie he'd had a small resurgence of popularity in the comic community due to Kevin Smith's Guardian Devil arc. It was Bendis' run, which started before the film and continued well after that really gave him momentum. But I don't think anyone has ever claimed that Daredevil had popularity rivaling Spider-man.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson: Really? Before the movie he'd had a small resurgence of popularity in the comic community due to Kevin Smith's Guardian Devil arc. It was Bendis' run, which started before the film and continued well after that really gave him momentum. But I don't think anyone has ever claimed that Daredevil had popularity rivaling Spider-man.

Yeah

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By gotwillpower

The movie gave Daredevil publicity, and any publicity is good. When I was younger, I saw the commercial for the movie frequently, so I understood that Daredevil was a blind superhero. However, I didn't understand that he had heightened senses, so I never bothered to watch the movie--the premise was too unbelievable.

Just recently, now that I've read Daredevil comics, I watched it. I didn't like the script at all. Conversations felt so awkward, to me personally, that I got something else to do while it played. The whole thing made dislike Daredevil, irrationally. I had to go reread some of Miller's run to like him again. So, in my case, the movie was bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.