Daredevil where to start?

#1 Posted by zedmot (6 posts) - - Show Bio

So I am looking to investigate some new comics. I have always wanted to get into to Daredevil but I am not sure where to start? What story would you all recommend as a good starting point.

#2 Posted by jinxuandi (594 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless you are a continuity hound, you can just go pick up the next issue and be fine. Waid's writing really lends itself to new readers. I had almost no knowledge of previous Daredevil runs before Waid and have really enjoyed it regardless.

#3 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Start with Frank Miller's Man Without Fear.

Then go into Frank Miller's Born Again.

Then read Kevin Smith's Guardian Devil.

Then pick up Jeph Loeb's Daredevil: Yellow

When you're done with that, start Brian Bendis's run.

That goes right into Ed Brubaker's run.

Which leads next into Shadowland (which I personally don't recommend)

That goes into Mark Waid's current run.

Happy reading! Daredevil is one of Marvel's best characters :D

#4 Posted by Romulus9000 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

@jinxuandi said:

Unless you are a continuity hound, you can just go pick up the next issue and be fine. Waid's writing really lends itself to new readers. I had almost no knowledge of previous Daredevil runs before Waid and have really enjoyed it regardless.

This is very true.

If you want some good Daredevil stories just go buy some trades.

Bendis's stuff is good

I personally like Kevin Smith's run on Daredevil ( its wordy but it's quite good )

But there will be several trades in the Graphic Novels section of any bookstore or comic shop. Look for the trade that says 1 on it and that will be the first of that volume.

ALSO i believe that a daredevil hardcover came out recently that is a collection of Waids current run on Daredevil .

#5 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

Read Born Again, Guardian Devil, and Yellow.

@Gambit1024 said:

Happy reading! Daredevil is one of Marvel's best characters :D

QFT, one of Marvel's very best indeed.

#6 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

Ann Nocenti because I wanted to read about Typhoid Mary and it just so happened to be the next good story lines. After that he suggested Matt Smith's run and so on.

#7 Posted by zedmot (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I like keeping with continuity. I feel like it's easy to not understand somethings if I don't catch up completely. I prefer trades and only read a few single issues right now. I tend to be a bit of a DC fanboy but I am trying to branch out a bit. Bring a little variety to my reading. Thanks for the great input and the lists. I will probably pick up a trade next Wednesday and get started.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.