Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4764 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

Daredevil Origins, What Makes Matt Special?

Avatar image for hotsaucecommittee
    HotSauceCommittee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HotSauceCommittee

So I know the jist of his origin but was just reading the new run and began to wonder, what makes Matt special? Like why are senses heightened, just because he's blind? Shouldn't there be a bunch of other Daredevil's then if the only prerequisite is being blind? Was it to do with radioactive stuff? Or never really explained? I'm sure this is common to knowledge to most people but really curious now and couldn't find the answer anywhere, thanks.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By IrishX
    @HotSauceCommittee:  

I'm not trying to be mean or anything but if you read the Daredevil page you would see right near the top his origin explained. 

"While walking down a street one day, Matt noticed a blind man was about to get hit by a truck. He ran in front of the truck, and pushed the blind man out of the way. However, the truck was carrying radioactive waste, and some spilled out directly onto Matt's eyes causing him to go blind.

With his vision gone, Matt's remaining senses of hearing, touch, taste, and smell became heightened, and he was able to "see" using a "radar" sense, that showed outlines and shapes...." 

Glad you're interested in Matt because he really is one of the best characters there is. 
    Avatar image for hotsaucecommittee
    HotSauceCommittee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HotSauceCommittee
    @IrishX: I get all that, like I said, have the jist of it but don't get how his other senses get better. Is it ever explained beyond sight goes which magically makes the rest of his senses better?
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By IrishX
    @HotSauceCommittee: Hmmm.. well I've gotta say that other than the radioactive waste being the reason for his enhanced senses, I don't know of any other further explanations.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Gambit1024

@IrishX said:

@HotSauceCommittee: Hmmm.. well I've gotta say that other than the radioactive waste being the reason for his enhanced senses, I don't know of any other further explanations.

That's pretty much all there is to it. It also gives him is "radar" sense. What really makes him a force is the training he got from Stick, the blind man who also trained Elektra. It's all explained (and very well, I might add) in Frank Miller's "Man Without Fear" story. DD is one of Marvel's best characters.

Oh, and here's a fun fact: The same radioactive waste that gave Daredevil his powers is the same waste that gave the TMNT their powers.

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#6  Edited By Dracade102

He's an inspiration to blind comic book fans everywhere.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Gambit1024 said:

@IrishX said:

That's pretty much all there is to it. It also gives him is "radar" sense. What really makes him a force is the training he got from Stick, the blind man who also trained Elektra. It's all explained (and very well, I might add) in Frank Miller's "Man Without Fear" story. DD is one of Marvel's best characters.

Oh, and here's a fun fact: The same radioactive waste that gave Daredevil his powers is the same waste that gave the TMNT their powers.

Radioactive waste didn't give Daredevil radar sense.What makes him anything more than a blind man is Stick's training.Remember that Stick also has superhuman senses\radar sense yet he didn't suffer the same accident as Daredevil, if i'm not mistaken Stick was born blind.Apparently in DD's origin as written by Frank Miller in Man Without Fear suggests the radioactive waste help DD's senses along to make his training more successful but in Daredevil #177, Daredevil has lost his radar sense and any superhuman senses that make him more functional.Stick is actually able to train Daredevil so that he is able to regain those sense.He states that Daredevil must think he's the only person in the world with a radar but in actuality radar is a sense that lies dormant in every human because they rely on their eyes.Which is why Stick and Daredevil are the only members of the Chaste with radar sense because they cannot see.I'm assuming it would be harder to teach a seeing person how to use radar.
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By IrishX
    @Vance Astro: Vance I know your a big fan and contributor to the Daredevil page. Do you think the origin I quoted from it should be changed?
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By daredevil21134

@Vance Astro said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@IrishX said:

Radioactive waste didn't give Daredevil radar sense.What makes him anything more than a blind man is Stick's training.Remember that Stick also has superhuman senses\radar sense yet he didn't suffer the same accident as Daredevil, if i'm not mistaken Stick was born blind.Apparently in DD's origin as written by Frank Miller in Man Without Fear suggests the radioactive waste help DD's senses along to make his training more successful but in Daredevil #177, Daredevil has lost his radar sense and any superhuman senses that make him more functional.Stick is actually able to train Daredevil so that he is able to regain those sense.He states that Daredevil must think he's the only person in the world with a radar but in actuality radar is a sense that lies dormant in every human because they rely on their eyes.Which is why Stick and Daredevil are the only members of the Chaste with radar sense because they cannot see.I'm assuming it would be harder to teach a seeing person how to use radar.

You are correct my brother

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @HotSauceCommittee said:
    So I know the jist of his origin but was just reading the new run and began to wonder, what makes Matt special? Like why are senses heightened, just because he's blind? Shouldn't there be a bunch of other Daredevil's then if the only prerequisite is being blind? Was it to do with radioactive stuff? Or never really explained? I'm sure this is common to knowledge to most people but really curious now and couldn't find the answer anywhere, thanks.
    Nothing about radioactive waste is actually stated in Matt's Origin accept for the fact that it blinded him.In both of his origin stories..both Stan Lee's & Frank Miller's, don't say anything about his senses being mutated or anything.I think Stan Lee's more suggests that Daredevil's senses simply became heightened because of his lack of sight.He also trained himself in combat.In Miller's origin story it states when he's on the stretcher that the radioactive waste courses through his blood and changes him.There is no showing of heightened sense until Stick gets a hold of him though.I believe the thing is meeting Stick though.If not for Stick, Matt wouldn't be whom he is.With or without the toxic waste because whatever the waste did to him was taken away later in his history.As Stick said "The free ride is over".
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gambit1024

@Vance Astro: Really? I thought the waste was responsible for heightening his senses... I might have to reread it now...

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @IrishX said:
    @Vance Astro: Vance I know your a big fan and contributor to the Daredevil page. Do you think the origin I quoted from it should be changed?
    One thing is for sure.No matter how many points I have in contribution to that page, I don't want anyone to think I wrote every word in it.Someone apparently has been rewriting portions of it because I didn't write that origin part.I know it's been rewritten because I don't use words like "moonlighting" or tell stories about characters starting with "one day".I also don't believe I ever said that radar sense let's Matt see outlines and shapes or am I aware of the radioactive waste adding anything to Matt's intelligence.I'm not going to rewrite it though.I could careless about CV's wiki pages at this point as i've noticed people take all the hard work I do and write over it or change it for no apparent reason.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Gambit1024 said:

@Vance Astro: Really? I thought the waste was responsible for heightening his senses... I might have to reread it now...

The waste changed his senses but he they would not be where they are now without Stick.If Stick hadn't trained him at all he would just be an efficient blind guy.All the outlandish feats he has with his senses wouldn't be possible.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gambit1024

@Vance Astro: But it did heighten them, correct? I know without Stick, Matt wouldn't be the guy he is today, but the waste did help his other senses, right?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Gambit1024 said:

@Vance Astro: But it did heighten them, correct? I know without Stick, Matt wouldn't be the guy he is today, but the waste did help his other senses, right?

Help his senses..yes.Whatever the waste did though was taken away by Daredevil #177.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gambit1024

Was that a Miller issue?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Gambit1024 said:

Was that a Miller issue?

Yes.
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By IrishX
    @Vance Astro: Understand. I especially thought the part about his intelligence was odd which is why I left it out.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @IrishX said:
    @Vance Astro: Understand. I especially thought the part about his intelligence was odd which is why I left it out.
    I thought Daredevil was just intelligent.I don't know of any source that says anything about intellect altering via radioactive waste.
    growup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By growup

@Vance Astro: Do you have any scans to prove the effects of the waste became irrelevant or do we just take your word for it. I read that issue and it gave me the impression that daredevil had put a mental block on his senses, and stick helped him overcome the mental block.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By daredevil21134

@Red_Justice said:

@Vance Astro: Do you have any scans to prove the effects of the waste became irrelevant or do we just take your word for it. I read that issue and it gave me the impression that daredevil had put a mental block on his senses, and stick helped him overcome the mental block.

Its true I read it too

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Red_Justice said:

In Daredevil #174 Daredevil loses his radar sense to an explosion. I don't recall anything stated about a mental block but the regaining of radar sense is a mental process.
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By IrishX
    @Vance Astro
    You're not denying that the radioactive waste helped give him enhanced senses thought correct?
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @IrishX said:

@Vance Astro: You're not denying that the radioactive waste helped give him enhanced senses thought correct?

As far as his origin is concerned, No i'm not denying that at all.Stick makes a reference to it in issue 177.
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By IrishX
    @Vance Astro: Ok that's cool. I thought I might have misunderstood your original comment. I understand completely what you are talking about in terms of the mental aspect of his radar also.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.