Daredevil fan film

#1 Posted by Devokees (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey everyone,
      I am an unknown actor named Will Devokees. I have been told I kind of resemble Matt Murdock, since then and after much comic reading and character research I have become obsessed with the character, because he reminds me a lot of myself and I can easily empathize with him. Ever since I heard about there being a reboot was in the works, I wanted to go for the part. Only problem is... I'm a no body!  I thought ...what could I do to get an audition? I decided to make a sort of short film or a fake trailer to show who I am. With with no time, no money... I made this!  I know not everyone is going to like the trailer, or me as Murdock, nor do I actually believe I'll get the role... like I said who am I, just a nobody. But I figured I might as well try, rather give this a shot than regretting not doing it later!
All in all I hope you all enjoy it, and please let me know what you think!
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?
Will Devokees
www.willdevokees.com

#2 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Here ya go:

#3 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio

Not bad bro

#4 Posted by Devokees (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you very much for putting up the video  xerox kitty, I am computer illiterate some times haha. I really appreciate it.

Daredevil21134, thank you man! Definitely worked very hard and I really hope people can see me as this character. If not for a movie, then for a tv show. Hope you liked it man!
Will

#5 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio
@Devokees said:
Thank you very much for putting up the video  xerox kitty, I am computer illiterate some times haha. I really appreciate it.  Daredevil21134, thank you man! Definitely worked very hard and I really hope people can see me as this character. If not for a movie, then for a tv show. Hope you liked it man! Will
Yeah I did.I think you have great potential as Matt Murdock and trust me I bleed Daredevil.He is my absolute favorite.I been following him for years
#6 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome stuff dude. Did you make you're own DD suit?

#7 Posted by Devokees (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks Daredevil21134! I am definitely going to keep trying, even if it kills me. I love the character and really hope Slade does it right!

Gambit: I bought the suit off a company online, I asked them to enhance the one they sell online so it would look unique, of course they told me they made the changes but sent me the regular costume they sell.... but we did custom make the mask! A man by the name of Logan Tobia who goes to the Tom Savini Special effects school made it!

#8 Edited by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio
@Devokees: Keep your dream alive bro and have No Fear,you never know what can happen
#9 Posted by Devokees (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you very much man! Definitely not going to quit, I've worked too hard to get to this point. Of course not everyone will like me as daredevil, and I understand it. I just would like it to get seen.
W

#10 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio
@Devokees said:
Thank you very much man! Definitely not going to quit, I've worked too hard to get to this point. Of course not everyone will like me as daredevil, and I understand it. I just would like it to get seen. W
So who played Stick?
#11 Posted by Devokees (51 posts) - - Show Bio

My sensei Phil Scudieri. He did very good, He also helped Choreograph the fight scenes! He really helped push me to get this done. With out him I wouldn't know what to do. Ben Bostaph did all the digital effects and editing. Ryan Phillips took his own spin on the king pin. We have so much footage that didn't get used, but I liked it.

#12 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio
@Devokees said:
My sensei Phil Scudieri. He did very good, He also helped Choreograph the fight scenes! He really helped push me to get this done. With out him I wouldn't know what to do. Ben Bostaph did all the digital effects and editing. Ryan Phillips took his own spin on the king pin. We have so much footage that didn't get used, but I liked it.
Oh cool!!!!! So you study martial arts
#13 Posted by Devokees (51 posts) - - Show Bio

I use to, It had been years until I did this, then he trained me privately for a month or two. We all had a blast, took what was accessible and tried to make it work. So who knows, but most likely I think this role may end up going to the dude from twilight or something haha!

#14 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio
@Devokees said:
I use to, It had been years until I did this, then he trained me privately for a month or two. We all had a blast, took what was accessible and tried to make it work. So who knows, but most likely I think this role may end up going to the dude from twilight or something haha!
God I hope not
#15 Posted by Devokees (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Same here, I would officially commit Suicide if that happened. Well the haters are officially rising, gotta love it.  My big day is going in their youtube profiles and seeing that they haven't done anything than playing call of duty and recording it or a dvd collection. But they are entitled to their own opinions. Just sucks when they just say "Sucks" then don't reply when you ask them what sucks. But I am shocked at some of the support I am getting. Especially as an unknown, thank you Daredevil 21134

#16 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio
@Devokees said:
Same here, I would officially commit Suicide if that happened. Well the haters are officially rising, gotta love it.  My big day is going in their youtube profiles and seeing that they haven't done anything than playing call of duty and recording it or a dvd collection. But they are entitled to their own opinions. Just sucks when they just say "Sucks" then don't reply when you ask them what sucks. But I am shocked at some of the support I am getting. Especially as an unknown, thank you Daredevil 21134
Haters gonna hate dude,screw em
#17 Posted by Devokees (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Very true! What would be a good monolog for me to use to try and show I can play this character?
W

#18 Posted by Joesoef95 (315 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely love it man! Great job!!

Hey I think I remember you in IMdb? or is a different guy hahaha

Anyway, well done!

#19 Posted by FearTheLiving (4216 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks pretty cool hard to tell if you'd be a good MM though as there wasn't much dialogue, but you look the part.

#20 Posted by Devokees (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Joesoef, thank you very much I did post on imdb a while ago, haven't posted either of the two trailers on there. I just feel weird promoting myself for some reason. I am really glad you liked this though, we definitely worked hard, and for no budget I think it looks cool.

Fear the living, love the name! I agree. Man we shot a lot of footage, a lot with dialog, but it never made the cut. I know it is a pinnacle thing to add especially when doing a trailer, but the editor just didn't like the footage, or the other acting around me wasn't as good. I do want to do a monologue, which would have been cheaper, easier and quicker than this trailer, but I thought this would be cooler, and at the time stress free, haha and let me tell you, stress free it was not, directing while acting with those contacts were a pain lol. Here is the earlier trailer which has some dialog in it http://youtu.be/OiaTp2bAsD8 and here is my acting reel, take a look http://youtu.be/H2zboUlxcFk tell me what you think.  I am glad you thought it looked cool, and thank you about me looking the part. I was always told by friends that I looked like Matt Murdock, and I feel with my personal past I am dark enough to play him... I can empathize with him on so many levels, and feel that if I play him just once, for the movie, a television show... even a fan film... I might be able to get rid of some demons in my closet. But in the end, the fans and general audience are more welcoming for a name actor than an unknown, which I totally understand, this was just a shot in the dark, but was worth it.

I am just glad you guys are very supportive and giving some great constructive criticism, and more importantly, you all are respectful, even if you all do not like me as daredevil, you all have been respectful. Instead of saying "Sh*t f*cking sucks", you let me know why, and help me better myself, especially those who have private messaged me to keep me from embarrassment, Thank you so much guys!
W

#21 Posted by Vance Astro (91416 posts) - - Show Bio

If only the fans of DD had a say in the movie we could get an acceptable one.I commend you on this effort.

#22 Posted by Devokees (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you sir. I tried.
W

#23 Posted by FearTheLiving (4216 posts) - - Show Bio
@Devokees
Watched the reel some better then others
-Medicine Cabinet Scene was awesome and reminded me of House or even an Evil Dead moment, and thought you portrayed being scared much better there then the creeping down the stairs scene.
-Suicide Scene was probably my favorite just seemed like your best scene.
-The scene where your pointing a gun at the screen I have mixed feelings about some bits of it look really good others look a bit forced.

For the most part I like your body language and a lot of your lines were delivered well, as to you playing MM I think you could pull it off. I do have to ask for a lot of these how many takes did you do?
#24 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio
@Devokees said:
Thank you sir. I tried. W
Let me know if you need a Luke Cage lol
#25 Posted by Devokees (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Fear: Thank you,I agree with the forced bit, but I am finding a lot of the directors are asking for over the top... but I must admit I do act over the top a lot. Which is something I am definitely working on. Most of the takes were between 1-3 depending on the take, or the film. With this daredevil film we did very minimal takes because we had a lot to cover in a short time frame, so we had to move. it's tough, with other short films and school projects it is hard to get things that I want to do done, which is what took this daredevil thing too long. I don't think I am a great actor, but I think I am decent. All in all, I am finding that everyone feels the same about my acting, mixed, which is alright because trust me, lol I do need more practice! I never really took classes or went to school. I am looking into that, I feel an improv class would help. Your thoughts? I have just watched a lot of people, dissected certain situations, watch a lot of movies and study actors. Being in film school has helped a lot too, because I am acting in a lot of projects as practice. Some are better than others. Oh and the fact that you have seen house makes me happy!!! Haha love That movie. Good ole big ben. 

Daredevil21134: We were just discussing in class today doing a marvel based fan film... as much as I don't wanto to direct another  film based on copywritten characters... the class has an interest in doing it... so who knows... you may get a call!

#26 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio
@Devokees said:
Fear: Thank you,I agree with the forced bit, but I am finding a lot of the directors are asking for over the top... but I must admit I do act over the top a lot. Which is something I am definitely working on. Most of the takes were between 1-3 depending on the take, or the film. With this daredevil film we did very minimal takes because we had a lot to cover in a short time frame, so we had to move. it's tough, with other short films and school projects it is hard to get things that I want to do done, which is what took this daredevil thing too long. I don't think I am a great actor, but I think I am decent. All in all, I am finding that everyone feels the same about my acting, mixed, which is alright because trust me, lol I do need more practice! I never really took classes or went to school. I am looking into that, I feel an improv class would help. Your thoughts? I have just watched a lot of people, dissected certain situations, watch a lot of movies and study actors. Being in film school has helped a lot too, because I am acting in a lot of projects as practice. Some are better than others. Oh and the fact that you have seen house makes me happy!!! Haha love That movie. Good ole big ben.   Daredevil21134: We were just discussing in class today doing a marvel based fan film... as much as I don't wanto to direct another  film based on copywritten characters... the class has an interest in doing it... so who knows... you may get a call!
Then I better start working out hard
#27 Posted by Devokees (51 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio
@Devokees: I liked it
#29 Posted by Devokees (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks man, I thought it was a nice little write up. It's cool to see it is finally getting some promotion.

#30 Posted by Devokees (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey Every one.

I know it's been a while, figured I'd still let you all know I am still going strong and hoping something works out with the daredevil movie whether fox or Marvel get it.

In the mean time, some one drew me as a cartoon form of Daredevil. Let me know what you think. Also if you have yet to see the trailer, please take a look and let me know what you think. http://youtu.be/CswdUFv0xN0

#31 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

The guy playing daredevil's hand to hand to hand skills were......not good. He should have at least trained a month before shooting.

#32 Posted by Devokees (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey Swordsman,

I agree, my hand to hand isn't as good as it could have been. If given the proper training I know I can do it. I was trained by Phil Scudieri, and did what Ben Bostaph our second director told me to do, just kinda hard to keep the energy up especially when blinded with contacts. I will definitely work on more combat training.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.