Awesome Toy Picks: 'Marvel Select' Daredevil & 'X-Men Onslaught' Apocalypse

Posted by G-Man (29478 posts) - - Show Bio

It's time for another installment of Awesome Toy Picks where we take a look at some action figures you can find on store shelves along with some from the past you might have to search for online.

This week's 'new' selection comes from the Marvel Select line. If you've purchased these figures before, you know they're pretty solid figure. Check out the Man Without Fear, Daredevil.

Daredevil comes with a his billy club and a cross so you can [try] to pose him in that famous scene of DD getting cozy with it. He's such a brooding guy.

I mentioned how solid the figure is. It's a heavy piece of plastic. They don't skimp on the quality when it comes to the Marvel Select figures. He comes with a lot of articulation so you can put him in different positions and what makes him different from some figures is he'll actually still be able to stand.

There is also a lot of detail to the figure. Daredevil may have a simple costume but you can see how defined his body is. The dude must really work out to keep up this physique. And with a retail price of under twenty bucks, it's a great deal.

== TEASER ==

Getting him in the cross pose...didn't quite work out as planned. Above standing in the background was the 'X-Men Light Up Weapon' figure of Elektra. She was a repaint of the Psylocke figure. And the light up ninja blade made absolutely no sense with her. But it was great to see Elektra get the figure treatment back then (better ones have been released since).

Norm took those pictures above. You can see he likes to go for the mood type pictures. I try to tell a story when I take the pictures. For our secondary spotlight, let's go back to 1997 with the 'X-Men Onslaught' Apocalypse Rising figure (which came with Ozymandias).

This is another pretty solid figure. For 1997, the sculpting is pretty impressive. His body is pretty similar to the Hulk figure used for the "Hulk...on a Horse" video image. You can see that he just oozes out the attitude. This is what Apocalypse should be like. Maybe he wouldn't get his butt kicked all the time.

What's interesting is if you look at the other Apocalypse below, he was from the 'Age of Apocalypse' line just two years prior. You can see what the 1997 version thinks about him.

That's it for this week. Let us know what you thought about these choices. Keep an eye out when you're walking down the toy aisles.

Staff
#1 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

The last daredevil one seemed...odd.

The apocalypse one is awesome.

#2 Posted by AquaDCman (54 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh..... Apocalypse is kinda...ehh

#3 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome shots of En Sabah Nur! :)

#4 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

Aww I was expecting to see some X-Men fighting Onslaught and Apocalypse but this is still cool. Apocalypse looks seriously awesome but is it just me or does Onslaught look like a dictator from the future? Reminds me of Big Brother.

#5 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5372 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay DD looks cool.  the other has tiny legs and massive arms.....how did you keep him standing? 

#6 Posted by SuperDoahBoy (127 posts) - - Show Bio

Apocalypse is sick and would love to add him to my collection.

#7 Posted by NXH (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

The Apocalypse pics look like t hey could be from some rap video. BLUC BLUC!!

#8 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3664 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool.

#9 Posted by blazingwhale (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Kinda confused as to what is "Onslaught"like about this? Its 2 Apocalypse one from Main 616 an the other from AoA universe no Onslaught to be seen....

#10 Posted by Xenozoic Shaman (410 posts) - - Show Bio

@jordama said:

The last daredevil one seemed...odd.

Oh, good. I'm not the only one who was disturbed by it.

I must agree that the Apocalypse figure is pretty nice.

#11 Posted by wsninja (11 posts) - - Show Bio

dammit now you got me looking at Xmen Figures on Amazon, which is never a good thing for my wallet!

#12 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7500 posts) - - Show Bio

I've had to stop myself buying these, I'd be so broke right now :S

#13 Posted by G-Man (29478 posts) - - Show Bio

@blazingwhale: I never questioned it. I just bought back in the day.

Staff
#14 Posted by SpidermanWins (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil...humping the cross much?

#15 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

Apocalypse is awesome.

#16 Posted by The Impersonator (4315 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by NyxEquitis (401 posts) - - Show Bio

Good stuff.

#18 Posted by longbowhunter (5867 posts) - - Show Bio

I've almost bought that DD figure several times. I've got the one that came in the Spider-Man classics series.

#19 Posted by danhimself (21913 posts) - - Show Bio

I have and love both of those Apocalypse figures!!!!

@blazingwhale said:

Kinda confused as to what is "Onslaught"like about this? Its 2 Apocalypse one from Main 616 an the other from AoA universe no Onslaught to be seen....

it's because Apocalypse appeared in the Onslaught arc...newly resurrected and sporting those same bandages

#20 Posted by newmutants45 (19 posts) - - Show Bio

i have all the figures in the onslaught line except for the wolverine w/ franklin richards

#21 Posted by vuviper (5530 posts) - - Show Bio

That Apocalypse was one of my favorite toys

#22 Posted by JonesDeini (3616 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man said:

@blazingwhale: I never questioned it. I just bought back in the day.

Man this brings back memories. I had a few of those AOA Apocalypses because I kept losing either a hand or the cape.

#23 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

that Daredevil action figure is SOOOO cool!!! ;)

#24 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2159 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to want to get that Apocalypse toy SO MUCH! Cool.

#25 Posted by Krakoa (550 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

Awesome shots of En Sabah Nur! :)

#26 Edited by daredevil21134 (9201 posts) - - Show Bio

I have the Daredevil figure and i'm disappointed

#27 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

Stripper Cross

#28 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Impersonator said:

XD

#29 Posted by ApolloBob (6 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Impersonator said:

Now we see the importance of healing the blind...

#30 Posted by lapis2 (40 posts) - - Show Bio

that Apocalypse looks terribad.

#31 Posted by Fascism (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I had that AoA Apocalypse, you could take his hands off. I lost his hands like immediately :(

#32 Posted by HellionVulcan (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

I want the Onslaught apocalypse as i own the x-force apocalypse who took stryfe away in the end issue .

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.