Any Daredevil expert...

#1 Posted by GhostRavage (8359 posts) - - Show Bio

Can someone awesomely versed with Daredevil tell me which modern issues besides Waid's run are worth the reading? I've always liked Daredevil and now i got my first issues. Preferably Canon :)

Im also looking forward to extend my Marvel Now's Daredevil knowledge as much as i can (If there's any since i haven't seen any action about him besides Indestructible Hulk#9 and #10 as a guest), so any readings that may serve as debating resources would be appreciated.

#2 Posted by russellmania77 (14575 posts) - - Show Bio

NO

#3 Posted by mikex20 (2769 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis did some good Daredevil stories. The Devil Inside and Out, Underboss, Hardcore, and Out.

Frank Miller's Man Without Fear mini-series is a good place to read his origin.

#4 Posted by Pr0metheus (4944 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by cameron83 (6646 posts) - - Show Bio

Every DD fan I know hates Waid's run.

#6 Posted by QueenCorp15 (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

Definately read brian bendis' whole run its amazing then that leads right into ed brubakers run which was great too. Everything Frank Miller wrote for daredevil u should read since many major stuff happend in those an their great stories too

#7 Posted by LittleRedRobinHood (27 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: Then allow me to introduce myself. There, now you know one!

#8 Posted by daredevil21134 (10857 posts) - - Show Bio

Start from Volume 2 and up

#9 Posted by Cap10nate (2157 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a big fan of both Bendis and Brubaker's runs on the character. They are very different from what Waid is doing now though. Daredevil was a character that was reinvented as a brooding character for whom very little goes right a long time ago which has persisted until Waid took over. He has a little more light hearted approach for the character which I like as it shows a Matt Murdock who has put some of his demons behind him and is trying to have a slightly happier existence.

#10 Posted by pretur22 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

I would add Ann Nocenti and JRjr (before his art became ""blocky "") although only two trades have been collected .

But the best stories of the devil are by Miller daredevil v.1 168-191(when he became a writer of the series) ,219,226 then the masterpiece with David Mazzucchelli (witch i think i superior to batman year one) .DD love and war Bill Sienkiewicz and finally man without fear with JRjr.

D.G. Chichester and Lee Weeks did a nice sequel do Born Again Fall of Kingpin (v.1 297-300) but shortly after his stories become to "90's" and Daredevil get a armored costume chnge ugh!!!

#11 Posted by lewismcgregor (75 posts) - - Show Bio

Be sure to pick up anything drawn by Bill Sienkiewicz and/or David Mack. Their art along side a DD story is just unstoppable.

#12 Posted by lewismcgregor (75 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey @daredevil21134, what's your thought on Fall From Grace? I find it so hard to read.

#13 Edited by Vance Astro (91117 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't go back any further than Bendis & Brubaker's run. I would also recommend Diggle's run (which is after Brubaker's) because that way Waid's run will make more sense. David Mack I believe wrote the story with Echo. I think that's only a few issues long so I'd pick those up too, just because Echo was such a good character.

#14 Posted by lewismcgregor (75 posts) - - Show Bio

@vance_astro: You wouldn't go back any further that Bendis' run? Say what, you're missing all the greats.

#15 Posted by Vance Astro (91117 posts) - - Show Bio

@lewismcgregor said:

@vance_astro: You wouldn't go back any further that Bendis' run? Say what, you're missing all the greats.

I've read every issue of Daredevil, but i'm a die-hard Daredevil fan. I wouldn't encourage anyone who isn't, to read that far back unless they were really beat for some good Daredevil stories. I've only read maybe 1-2 bad runs on DD the entire time he's been around so almost everything is pretty solid.

#16 Posted by lewismcgregor (75 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance, I don't understand that statement, it's one big contradiction.

#17 Posted by daredevil21134 (10857 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey @daredevil21134, what's your thought on Fall From Grace? I find it so hard to read.

Dude I hated that story just because of Scott Mcdaniel's art

#18 Posted by Vance Astro (91117 posts) - - Show Bio

@lewismcgregor said:

Vance, I don't understand that statement, it's one big contradiction.

I don't see what in it is contradictory. We have someone who is new to Daredevil and reading Waid's run, right? Now I don't know how everyone else reads comics, but if I asks for "modern issues" that are worth reading, why would I recommend Nocenti's run or Miller's run? When Bendis and Brubaker's runs were just as good and more relevant to current Daredevil?

#19 Posted by lewismcgregor (75 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: Yeah the art is pretty damn confusing too. I'm never too sure on what is going on.

@vance_astro: Dude, haha don't worry. There's no point to this.

#20 Edited by Vance Astro (91117 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.