Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4764 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

3-Minute Expert - Who is Daredevil?

abauman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By abauman
    Click To Unmute

Want us to remember this setting for all your devices?

Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
    This video has an invalid file format.
    00:00:00
    Sorry, but you can't access this content!
    Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to Comic Vine's
    Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By CitizenJP

Nice video, G-Man. Watching the first episode right now! So pumped! :D

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I always love this series. So much knowledge pumped into such a short and simple presentation. Thank you Tony!

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I didn't know Stick was blind too

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Nice shirt, @g_man, and another 3-minute expert video well done!

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Cool video

Avatar image for deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16
    deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The video was awful.............

Just kidding, it was cool.

Z0MBEESNOWMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly, this is completely necessary, b/c if you don't know the comics, the show is impossible to follow.

I'm 30 mins into the 1st ep and they've not explained what Matt Murdock's powers are or how he has them (what they showed is only clear to fans). They also haven't clearly explained the "hell raining from the sky." If I hadn't read online that this takes place in the aftermath of the Chitari (sp?) invasion, I might even be lost (and if I wasn't a big comics fan, I'd totally be lost). Even the heartbeat thing is confusing if you don't know the comics -- there's been NOTHING that shows us his hearing is THAT good...so the fact that there's heartbeat in his ear, someone could actually interpret that as HIS heart (the first time surely; the 2nd time it's clearer).

Shame. The writing is otherwise incredible (not so crazy about the lensing and the directing).

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Lol, that yellow costume makes me laugh every time. I like the reason why he made it but I'm so glad they changed it.

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Another great 3min vid @g_man keep them coming!!

cylonempress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z0mbeesnowman: Honestly after watching the first two episodes I was not lost even though I haven't read any Daredevil comics. Sure they haven't explained his whole origin, but I had to step back and realize that yeah, I'm watching a comic book show. So, despite the fact that Daredevil is a street level hero he does have powers. I think being a comic book fan/reader makes the show even better because you get to see how they handle/adapt the comics.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By DrellAssassin

Sadly, this is completely necessary, b/c if you don't know the comics, the show is impossible to follow.

I'm 30 mins into the 1st ep and they've not explained what Matt Murdock's powers are or how he has them (what they showed is only clear to fans). They also haven't clearly explained the "hell raining from the sky." If I hadn't read online that this takes place in the aftermath of the Chitari (sp?) invasion, I might even be lost (and if I wasn't a big comics fan, I'd totally be lost). Even the heartbeat thing is confusing if you don't know the comics -- there's been NOTHING that shows us his hearing is THAT good...so the fact that there's heartbeat in his ear, someone could actually interpret that as HIS heart (the first time surely; the 2nd time it's clearer).

Shame. The writing is otherwise incredible (not so crazy about the lensing and the directing).

They reveal all of that over the course of the series through flashbacks. They elected to not bog down the first two episodes with origin story. Also they explicitly talk about the Chitauri invasion when they're getting their office, and how they got it for cheap because all of the reconstruction being done on Hell's Kitchen.

Z0MBEESNOWMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin:

Yes, I've now watched episodes 2 & 3. While they're still a little dodgy about his origin (which is fine), the storytelling of the 2nd episode -- re: his powers and how they work -- is FAR clearer than the first episode. The 2nd episode makes it MUCH clearer that he's hearing people from far away, can hear specific heartbeats, etc. NONE of that came across in the first one at all. They should've gone back and fixed the 1st episode in the editing room, b/c they definitely improved it.

I've read a lot of reviews, and while it's getting very favorable reviews, I've seen a few times now the whole "first episode is confusing" thing (from pros mostly) -- The Hollywood Reporter review comes to mind. I think New York Times had a similar position about the first ep. but still enjoyed the series.

Also, they never do "explicitly talk" about the Chitauri invasion. They VAGUELY talk about it. "Chitauri" is not said nor are the words "Avengers" or "Iron Man" or anything that would make it clear to anyone but fanboys. I forget the phrase they use, but it could as easily refer to 9/11 as much as the fictional invasion which, while it was probably the point (to get across the level of tragedy), meant it should've been clearer.

It's like the Mike Murdock reference in the 2nd (or 3rd?) episode. They seem to write most of it for the fanboys. But a series shouldn't just be for us...the Easter eggs w/in it are for us. I like it, I just think they get lost up their own a$$es a bit here.

Z0MBEESNOWMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cylonempress: I don't disagree that being a fan makes it more fun.

But it's simple story 101. Or, as my English professor friend likes to say, "Be kind to your reader." You don't have to tell the reader everything, but they should at least know what's going on.

Like you said, you assumed he had powers...but why? Because you know of the character from comics or read about it online? That's not information one should have to go into the series knowing.

Don't get me wrong, as I've said, I'm enjoying it...I just think there's a serious deficit in that first episode.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

it's more of a 4 and a half minute expert

droenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By droenn

@z0mbeesnowman: I binged to episode 10 and have to say I completely disagree. Some people may be lost at first, but Matt eventually tells Foggy everything, including his "powers", very clearly I might add. They also show his training with Sticks.

I don't really feel like you need to hand-hold the viewers that much during the first episode. Why do you need to know all of this stuff right away? I think that moving on from episode one being curious as to how Matt does what he does is part of the draw of the series. Keeps people intrigued as to what Matt can do and as to how extensive his senses are.

As for the Chitauri Invasion, I don't think that's really something that needs to be discussed in more than the vague reference. I mean why do you really need to know more about it? If you are curious about the reference, you'll likely look it up and find out something cool about the series. It makes watching something like this even more enjoyable because now you're able to place it in a timeline with all of Marvel's other films and feel like you solved a piece of a puzzle without having your hand held too much.

FYI, further along in the series they introduce Ben Urich and he's got a Battle of NY newspaper framed on the wall in his office, which is also a reference to the Chitauri Invasion and just the mention of Ben Urich also gives me the impression they're trying to give viewers even more clues that they're getting ready to unveil plans for Civil War.

All I can say without a doubt is it's a great time to be a comic fan, both Marvel and DC have been killing it with their TV Series and Movies (only one I don't really consider a great success is Gotham, but that's just my take on it and these are all just opinions anyhow.)

Z0MBEESNOWMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@droenn said:

@z0mbeesnowman: I binged to episode 10 and have to say I completely disagree. Some people may be lost at first, but Matt eventually tells Foggy everything, including his "powers", very clearly I might add. They also show his training with Sticks.

I don't really feel like you need to hand-hold the viewers that much during the first episode. Why do you need to know all of this stuff right away? I think that moving on from episode one being curious as to how Matt does what he does is part of the draw of the series. Keeps people intrigued as to what Matt can do and as to how extensive his senses are.

I explained this. I don't believe "hand holding" is necessary either.

As for the Chitauri Invasion, I don't think that's really something that needs to be discussed in more than the vague reference. I mean why do you really need to know more about it? If you are curious about the reference, you'll likely look it up and find out something cool about the series.

The reference is far too vague to look up. That said, anyone who's been to or lives in NYC will know that the Hell's Kitchen they portray is a far, far cry from how it actually is. As such, an explanation (which they were smart enough to create) is required. All they needed to do, when mentioning "that day" -- or whatever vague reference they used -- was say something like "What, the costumed heroes stop an invasion but disappear now that the city's gone to hell?" That'd make it super-clear w/out screaming "Avengers! Iron Man! See, we referenced them!!" =]

(FYI: Hell's kitchen is a haven for theater, gay couples, families, and more Starbucks than they know what to do with. It's generally known as a very clean and safe area of the city. It got cleaned up in the '90s.)

It makes watching something like this even more enjoyable because now you're able to place it in a timeline with all of Marvel's other films and feel like you solved a piece of a puzzle without having your hand held too much.

FYI, further along in the series they introduce Ben Urich and he's got a Battle of NY newspaper framed on the wall in his office, which is also a reference to the Chitauri Invasion and just the mention of Ben Urich also gives me the impression they're trying to give viewers even more clues that they're getting ready to unveil plans for Civil War.

All I can say without a doubt is it's a great time to be a comic fan, both Marvel and DC have been killing it with their TV Series and Movies (only one I don't really consider a great success is Gotham, but that's just my take on it and these are all just opinions anyhow.)

I don't disagree w/any of that. BTW, I didn't look at your spoilers (thx for the black-lining!) -- I'm only on episode 3! (Funny enough the stuff you blacked out above, shows up just fine in the e-mail notification. I only saw the first one. ;] )

droenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z0mbeesnowman: They're both relatively small spoilers in the grand scheme of the show, but they're definitely references that can be part of the bigger picture Marvel is painting with the MCU, so I figured the spoilers were somewhat necessary.

I wasn't really trying to argue against your points, just mostly stating that I felt the things you had complaints about were part of what I found to be a big draw to the show for me. I felt they gave just enough information to build a solid platform to get the show going, without going overboard and completely showing every aspect of Daredevil's origins again.

Anyways, everyone's entitled to their opinion, just wanted to voice mine for those unsure of whether or not they want to pick up the show.

Z0MBEESNOWMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@droenn: anyone who likes a balls-to-the-wall action series would enjoy it, that's for sure! My whole point was that the first episode requires non-fans to be very patient. Plus, I'm a writer and editor for a living -- I'm all about story. ;]

cylonempress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z0mbeesnowman: Although I can agree with most of what you were saying considering the fact that television in general have to leave out a lot of things for the sake of time I thought it wasn't important to completely reveal his entire origin. I just hope they don't make the same mistakes as Arrow.

Btw all I know about Daredevil is the obvious. He's a street level hero. Never knew he had any awesome powers. Sometimes I think leaving everything answered all at once is a problem just like I think binge watching a show is somewhat problematic.

God, I do hope that they don't mess up any of the character development.

Z0MBEESNOWMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z0mbeesnowman: Although I can agree with most of what you were saying considering the fact that television in general have to leave out a lot of things for the sake of time I thought it wasn't important to completely reveal his entire origin. I just hope they don't make the same mistakes as Arrow.

I don't disagree with this. We don't need everything right away...just enough to understand what's going on.

Btw all I know about Daredevil is the obvious. He's a street level hero. Never knew he had any awesome powers. Sometimes I think leaving everything answered all at once is a problem just like I think binge watching a show is somewhat problematic.

Again, i don't disagree. It's not what I was saying. It's just about cluing in your audience JUST enough to be able to follow. The 2nd episode does a MUCH better job w/out even telling us anything more. That is, if you look at JUST the 2nd episode, all we know are the same things: kid had an accident & he's blind. They repeat the heartbeat thing and add the hearing thing. Essentially, telling us very little more, but doing it MUCH MORE clearly than the first episode.

God, I do hope that they don't mess up any of the character development.

I'm 4 episodes in. I'm not loving the portrayal of Fisk so far. At this point he seems kind of a whiny baby. Which might be the point, I dunno. But, overall, I love the casting, the writing, directing, lensing and the fight choreography is incredible.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I'm now a Daredevil EXPERT thanks to GMAN!!!
    ~MiB

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

@madeinbangladesh: It's all about the hair tonic. No one ever mentions that DD can distinguish between the different types.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@g_man said:

@madeinbangladesh: It's all about the hair tonic. No one ever mentions that DD can distinguish between the different types.

Very true. It's unbelievable really.

~MiB

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which other Daredevil story arcs are recommended? I noticed this video featured the Frank Miller & Romita Jr. miniseries, aside from Brubaker's run which others are good to pick-up?

Avatar image for sup3rflysamura1
    SUP3RFLYSAMURA1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizenjp: Man the show is Awesome! I can't wait 'til the second season.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.