cyclops4president's Daredevil #28 review

I BEAT DAREDEVIL - more like Waid & Rodriguez are destroying Daredevil

Cover Art: 1/5

Samnee & Rodrigue fall well below par when executing this cover. I don't know what happened here lately with comics with less than stellar art (Daredevil & Hawkeye for example) but this just seems lazy, or it should belong in a newspaper cartoon section.

Story Line: 1/5

Mark Waid is trying to work in some very difficult messages into this book that I feel are anti-climactic. If you do ANY research, you will know that 1/3 men in the U.S. will develop cancer, and that 1/4 women will develop some sort of cancer. People going through cancer in the U.S. is something everyone has dealt with or has a friend or family who has dealt with. Validating that through comics seems insensitive. We readers are looking for realism, but our favorite heroes or sidekicks should be dying at the hands of arch enemies, or saving the hero from peril and justifying their true strength of character, not dying of cancer. I get that it takes Daredevil into a whole new realm of pain, but why? We see Matt tending to his dear friend Foggy Nelson who is loosing his hair due to treatment, and Matt must excuse himself to vomit in the bathroom as his overly developed senses cannot take the overwhelming smell of chemicals and death in the hospital and that is hovering over his friend Foggy. The story then makes a complete change of direction in which Matt unwillingly takes on a new client. His new client, Nate Hackett, was one of the last faces Matt saw before he lost his vision that also made his other senses hyper powerful. Nate was also the leader of a childhood "club" that would ritualistically bully Matt. We find that after Matt saved the old blind man and became a hero, Nate became a serial looser and ultimately joined a super gang called the Sons of the Serpent. Cops arrest Nate on false charges and Matt aids Nate in representing himself in court. (SPOILER ALERT) Nate does fairly well for himself until the Judge starts asking him why he left Sons of the Serpent. Nate, unknowingly, diverges details that he is aware of regarding names, plans, etc and we see the Judge (who we find out is a member of the Sons of the Serpent by the symbol on the gun he is holding) pull a gun on Nate and fire at him in the court! Matt is in the courtroom and unable to do anything. The next comic is titled: SNAKED, giving the impression Daredevil will be on a revenge mission to destroy the Sons of the Serpent.

Story Art: 1/5

I am not a fan of Javier Rodriguez's art. I have been reading a lot of previous story arcs from the past and Javier just not do Daredevil "justice" (pun intended) with his art. Daredevil should be drawn with such etherialism as did Joe Quesada in Parts of a Hole, or with a gritty, unfinished, guttery style like Alex Maleev did in The King of Hell's Kitchen. This cartoon style just doesn't fit Daredevil at all.

Verdict: 1/5

We are at a time in comics where everything is being compared to everything else. I call this age the "Comparison Age". We compare everyone to Superman. We compare everyone to Thor or to the Hulk. We create lists based on previous writings and art that most inspire us. If you have read any of the great stories of Daredevil such as Parts of a Hole, Redemption, or The King of Hell's Kitchen, you will quickly realize that this book just doesn't compare to what Daredevil should be or could be, written or draw. I recommend passing this book up until a new writer/artist combo comes along that proves worthy of the Crimson Devil.

Posted by Cyclops4President

You all know what I say is truth.

either ways, each to their own opinions.

Again, it's hard for you to understand what he's talking about when you haven't read DD's previous adventures.If you have you would know why some fans have a hard time accepting this new take.

either ways, each to their own opinions.

I understand that, but the points he made weren't you know, negative. Matt did act out of character with Nate though , i can see that, but Foggy having cancer is a great element in the book, Matt could safe him if he were kidnapped by Bullseyes or something, but he is helpless here, there is nothing he can do to save foggy. Life Beats everyone, even superheroes, why is that bad? thats what i don't get man :/

@daredevil21134 said:

Fair Enough,i'll let him defend that

@daredevil21134 said:

Fair Enough,i'll let him defend that

Posted by Cyclops4President

@theacidskull: I knew this was going to be touchy subject, and a tough review for some people. To compliment what @daredevil21134 said, if you have read even half of the great story arcs such as Parts of a Hole, redemption, King of Hell's Kitchen, you would look at this current book with a head hung low. My rating has little to do specifically with Foggy, but with the whole book in general, from the story, to the art. The quality just isn't there. I'm in the same boat right now with Astonishing X-Men. The first 35 or so issues were great, now I a, having a hard time justifying buying them. I have always enjoyed DD, but after reading some of the great stories, you can find a great list on @daredevil21134 page, I feel the quality of the story and art just isn't up to par. There are two other major issues. As it relates to Nate being shot in the courtroom, Matt was on a few feet away really. He was sitting at the defendants table. Everyone knows he is Daredevil in the city, he just keeps denying it, but everyone knows. Matt can dodge bullets through his hearing and reflexes, so he could have done a number of things to prevent the old a$$ judge from shooting Nate. Matt could have thrown his cane and knocked the gun out the judges hands, he could have kicked the table knocking Nate down and causing the judge to miss his target, a number of things, but he just sat there and watched his client get shot 5 feet away from him. Number 2, I will address your issue with the cancer. I stated in my review that almost 1/3 men will get cancer in th U.S. but the timing of Foggy getting cancer and the way it seemed forced, just didn't set right with me. I feel like the writer knows he is subpar for DD so to make it up he is killing off a major character in DDs life. And what for? It's not like DD is flying off the shelves compared to other comics. I feel Foggy may loose his life and no one will care bc the book sucks and no one is reading it because of the crappy art and crappy story. I'm okay with the premise of why it is hard because Matt can't do anything to save him, but c'mon, he is BFF with the FF, with Shield, with the Avengers, the X-Men, he can just call up Mr. fantastic or the new healer from Uncanny X-Men and Foggy is all better. The whole scenario just doesn't flow well, through the art, through the story, none of it. But that is just my opinion, and I know it is not right or wrong. It is just my feelings about it.

Posted by daredevil21134

I agree with everything you said.I think it's about somebody gave the book the rating it deserves.I think a lot of reviewers praise the book out of respect for Mark Waid but if you read the stories I have listed you would see that this is one of the weakest runs in Daredevil history.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

i can see your dislike for the series, but to be honest If Matt just called on Mr Fantastic( WHO BTW IS IN SPACE) or Iron man( Also In Space) it's very unlikely that they would cure cancer, sure they could make galactus cry uncle but cancer is one of thous things that never seems to have any cure, because as much as we'd like to see that, and as much as comic books are OUT OF THIS WORLD, there are some things that should be kept real. Mark Waids Run is the reason i Became a daredevil fan in the first place, marvel asked him to do something new, they wanted matt to become more cheerful, and i like it, and it's not out of character, though i have to say that This issue wasn't as great as the other ones, i mean, matt didn't act like himself with Nate . I like the Foggy having cancer thing, i just can't seem to get over how sad it is, the people who read this book will care, as i'm sure you are sad as well. i can understand why people might not like this book, but 1 is a bit too low isn't it? it just seems to me that it's a huge underestimation of the books writing, i know daredevils Genre is more Noire and dark, and while it's cool and awesome i don't see any reason in that to dislike this book. it could be that My fondness come from the fact that My favourite character, Hulk Changes genres all the time, for example peter David had a darker take on him, whereas bill Mantlos main Theme was tragedy and the "woe's Me!" concept, then came greg pak witha much more light-hearted take on the jade giant, and he managed to easily shift from fun, dark, and tragic stories.

Also you said that Matt could have done something against the judge. but how? i mean, who would have expected the judge to pull out a gun? the judge of all people? it's possible for the people nate was against to take some extreme measures, but what could have possibly hinted that The judge would go Bonkers and shoot a guy in the court room? Matt was probably surprised as anyone. anyways, i think i'm getting off point. I'm sad that you guys don't like it as i myself love this series, hope waid does take a darker path and goes back towards the roots of the original Daredevil theme i guess. Either ways, man, I respect Your Opinion.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

@daredevil21134: it's funny though, that mast guy has read previous stories and he seems to like this run :/, it think boils down to preference and adaptation to change.

Edited by daredevil21134

@theacidskull said:

I don't have a problem with anybody liking it,personally I just think it's not worth of the praise it gets but that's just me.Matt could have smelled the gun on the judge but in Waid's defense some people ignore DD's powers for the drama of the story he's not the first to do that nor will he be the last .It's not just the tone and the art I don't like,I just don't find the stories all that interesting but it's Daredevil so I still read it.If you guys like it that's cool I just think it's weak compared to other DD stories.You are right it all comes down to what you like.I'm glad both of you are Daredevil fans despite how I feel about the current run.So you guys enjoy!

Edited by Cyclops4President

@theacidskull: I am glad that you have become a DD fan. In this age of overly Super heroes, the street guys seem to have the best fans and best stories as they are more "down to earth", and getting a new DD fan is great considering he was one of the original Marvel characters next to Spider-Man, the X-Men, FF, and Avengers. As it relates to the judge, Matt could sense his pheromones changing and that would trigger an alarm in his head. Matt could also hear the changing of the Judges heartbeat and also know something was wrong. He could smell the anger in the Judge and realize that Nate was in trouble. I mean, DD has guns pulled on him ALL the TIME, and fired at him, multiple rounds. He does amazing things with amazing acuracing while flipping about with his billy club. He could have done SO much in that courtroom to incapacitate the judge or knock Nate out of the way. Also, the judge didn't juge pull and fire. He gave a classic villain verbal send off before he fired at Nate. And I disagree with you about the cancer. I mean, there are so many healers, the healer on Uncanny X-Men brought a kid back from the dead! And characters in 616 are always in multiple places at once. Look at wolverine. he is everywhere! He is in every part of the world on every team and on one off team ups like with Ultimate Spiderman. Mr. F or Iron Man isn't the only ones that could cure Foggy. Dr. Strange, DD could go to shield, heck, he could even go to Dr. Doom! That would be an interesting event. He would owe Dr. doom a favor. This whole Foggy bit is just, sour to me. I am sad yes by the way.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

Ah, makes sense. :), like i said, this isn't the strongest issue IMO :), but as a whole i love the series.

as for the Cancer, mark waid is the kind of guy that keeps things grounded, and it seems that having Dr strange or someone fixing the problem takes away the appeal and realism :)

Posted by Raw_Material

I could say one thing, nice organization on your reviews. Really like the paragraph headings. Once again, a great review but not sure about this 1 star issue though!

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

Good review, though I liked this more than you. Not as much as CV or others but I gave it a 4 as it was a interesting story. I also liked the art. Also the Hawkeye covers and most of it's interior art has been amazing, and very well thought out, being some of the best covers I've seen lately. The series itself has also been good, and fun.

Posted by Cyclops4President

@theacidskull This is the first of this series that I have read, and I read it literally after I read about 35 of the very BEST of all the Daredevil stories. I guess I may have had a slightly skewed point of view, from reading some of the best stories with phenomenal art this one book. That is probably why I rated it so low. I can understand now where you are coming from, with Waid trying to be "grounded". It is hard for me to grasp though when DD lives in a city full of heroes that he is well associated with. If he lived in Smallville, maybe I could understand a bit more, that is more like middle America, far from the ruckus of all the Super Hero activity. But Hells Kitchen, he is too close physically and in relationship to other great heroes that could have helped Foggy in my own humble opinion. But, I will take that grounded point of view when I read the next issue and do my next review on this book.

@raw_material Thanks for the feedback! My point in do that is to try and create some sort of balance to the review. If the art is great and the story not so much, I will still rate the book based on the average of all the criteria. I am going to read the next few issues of this title and hopefully they will be better.

@johnkmccubbin91 I will agree that the Hawkeye covers are....unique...eye catching...creative even, ....I don't think I would call them amazing.....very unique, how about that,, very creative!

Posted by TheAcidSkull

@cyclops4president: i can see your Point of view as well man :), it;s just that THIS story is about DD, so having OTHER interfere all the time would make things too convenient right?

Edited by johnkmccubbin91

@cyclops4president: Fair enough. I personally find them brilliant, and very creative (not lazy).

Posted by Cyclops4President

@daredevil21134: thanks. I am taking my DD cues from you as you got me back into DD, so as I am retreading the great stories from the past, they are so fresh because I just read them the other day, reading this current story just doesn't feal right to me. I think that is where you are coming from right?

Posted by daredevil21134

The art seems really cartoony to me.And the stories seem more like Spider-man stories.And I hate when Matt Murdock is written with witty dialogue.

Edited by Cyclops4President

@daredevil21134

I think you and I are on the same wavelength with that. Matt isn't witty right! He is freakin Daredevil. Leave the wit to Spider-Man. I want JUSTICE!

@daredevil21134

I couldn't agree more bro