the_mast's Daredevil #28 review

• the_mast wrote this review on .
  • the_mast has written a total of 3 reviews. The last one was for

Chemo and court dates. Waid smashes it once more.

SUMMARY (Spoilers After Summary):

It took me a while to get beyond the opening pages. Due to getting somewhat emotional as a result. If you've had any loved-ones deal with cancer, or dealt with it yourself, this may be a little close to home. Go into both this review, and the comic, knowing that.

The issue reminds us of the biggest issue in Matt's life right now, that being Foggy's cancer, but it also sees Matt having to find a way to handle his caseload at N&M. At the office, Matt is faced with a blast from the past. What follows leads him into some pretty curious territory. Waid baits the hook before we bite it. Typical, but it works.

This is the part of the story where we tiptoe into the house, not knowing if anyone's home or what we'll fine. Not the part where we discover the body in the basement and run out with our heart pounding, so to speak.

Don't expect epic revelations. Expect tantalising teasers, or at least some eye-brow raising clues. Waid knocks another fantastic issue out of the park and MAN, does Rodriguez nail the art down. From Rivera to Martin to Samnee to Rodriguez. Each carry a similar style with their own unique imprints. I definitely favour Rodriguez over Samnee, and though I miss Martin/Rivera (Rivera especially), this series has been blessed with artists. Don't miss it.

The Good:

The pacing of the main exposition-based dialogue is perfectly handled and weighted. The back-and-forth can maybe come off as a bit laboured, but I disagree that it was. Mark Waid has a great way of giving off a distinctly weighty vibe of occurance without packing a great amount of obvious action beats in there. Before you know it, the issue may be over, but you don't feel as though nothing has happened. Even though may only one big thing did happen.

It's excellent.

Foggy is losing his hair through chemo and though they try to desperately crack some of the sombre shell surrounding Matt's visits, the mood is palpable. It's very painful to see. It really, truly upset me. Gone is the old-timey-haired, cutely on-edge, best friend. He is a man with a disease that has destroyed lives. It's evident and it hurts.

Matt's reaction really drives home the harsh, horrifying realisation of this. He can't punch or finesse his way out of this battle. He can't win it for Foggy and it's a battle Foggy may lose. This is always an elephant in the room of Matt's mind and it is handled incredibly well.

I've already mentioned the art. I thought Matt's hair was particularly excellent. I've always said, as a Daredevil fan, that if you can draw a believable Matt...you sell me on your art. That comes down to the hair and the glasses. Rodriguez walks this. It's amazing.

The Bad:

I personally felt like Matt's interrupting of Nate felt a little too...out-of-character, but also a little laboured. I felt as though Matt would probably listen to him or maybe just urge him to make his point once or twice with a firm tone as opposed to snarky interruptions. However, I'll let it slide because the reasons for doing so were clear and it helped the pacing. So, the interruptions I can stand, but maybe he was too snarky.

I don't feel Matt would hold that much of a grudge. Minor. Though I am certain as the sea is wet that certain people, particularly on this site, will bang on about how Waid is awful for this with zero justification.

The Verdict:

Stunning. Simply sensational. We're 28 issues into one of the best Daredevil runs of all time and it shows no signs of slowing down.

If you're not sold by now, you never will be, but all I can say is that it's never too late to get on board. I can almost guarantee that there are three or more comics in anyone's pull list that could be dropped for the sake of adding this comic.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

great issue but It really Bothered me, I Think Matt was TOOO mad at the guy for simply bulling him.

Online
Posted by tomlikesfries

For simply bullying him? If you got bullied throughout your entire childhood and if the last face you saw before being blinded BY the bully was of the guy himself, how mad would you be if he went to you asking for help thinking that you owe him some sort of favor? I think Matt has his reasons.

This issue was amazing. I miss Samnee though. I hope he comes back soon.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

@theacidskull said:

This issue was amazing. I miss Samnee though. I hope he comes back soon.

Matt isn't The Kind of person that would hold a grudge. I would, but matt is better than i am.

This issue was a 4/5, a great issue as i said. and yes, i've been bullied and i remember these moments vividly, doesn't mean that i'd start gnarling at them if i meet them again, and matt didn't let him get to that point, he interrupted him at least 4 times or so( don't remember exactly), you could have been mad at him afterwards. that i would understand, so please, STOP.

Online