etragedy's Daredevil #10 - While the City Sleeps! review

Wally Wood Begins to Transform Daredevil into Marvel's Batman

If you asked my pick for the most talented member of the Marvel Bullpen during the Silver Age, I'd say that would have to be Wally Wood. Maybe not as visionary an artist as Jack Kirby, nor as strongly gifted as John Romita when it came to art alone - Wood made up for it with his writing talent. Imagine a quality artist like John Buscema crossed with an imaginative writer like Gardner Fox, and that's Wally Wood.

That said, this first issue of Daredevil solely written and drawn by Wally Wood (he'd been co-writing with Stan Lee for a few months already), isn't his best work. Some of it may be personal bias; I've always seen the animal themed super team as a clichéd comic writer's crutch, and in this comic it's laid on pretty thick - a former Navy frogman that goes by 'frog man' and happens to look like a frog (even without a costume), for example.

First appearance of the Ani-men

But, even without such comic character conceits though, there are still some problems with the writing. Wood tends to gloss over situations that don't fit his plan - for example, Matt Murdock is aboard a party on a yacht when he senses a foe in the water nearby. He dives overboard, doffing his clothes in the ocean to reveal his Daredevil costume underneath. But, when the altercation is through, he climbs back aboard the boat, intending to rejoin the party. I actually thought there was a page or two missing from the comic, because it goes from there to his next meeting with a villain the following day - never addressing how he managed to get dry and find new clothes, etc. before he was seen.

The Organizer deals in crime AND politics

Still, the comic is interesting in that Wood has kept the part of the comics where Daredevil battles costumed foes, but added a heavy dose of Matt Murdock dealing with the seamy side of N.Y.C. politics - now that's something interesting and not being done in any of the other titles at the time. And, in keeping the villain leader's ('The Organizer') identity a secret, while providing the reader a list of possible suspects, Wally Wood has created Daredevil's first real mystery.

A good, if flawed, comic. It'll be interesting to see how the situation is resolved when Stan Lee takes back more of the writing chores next month.

Posted by turoksonofstone

Wood was brilliant and had a nice clean Alex Toth look to his work best seen on the Thunder Agents silver age books IMO. Jack Kirby was much much more Prolific than Wood and he created comic books most profitable characters during the Silver Age and is not just Marvel's but the Comic book Mediums MVP in every era for that reason IMO. Steve Ditko is another who was more Important than Wood IMO. Great Review nonetheless.

Posted by etragedy

I agree that T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents represents some of Wood's best superhero work. I really like his sci-fi and horror stuff too.

Other reviews for Daredevil #10 - While the City Sleeps!

DD Vs. Animal Men 0

There are just certain types of villains that turn me off of a comic book story. These villains as animal types do the trick. I even hate the Ani Men in the X-men. Still, there is a little bit to be said about Wally Woods first attempt at writing Daredevil. What could have been a disaster, kind of turned out okay.   For some reason the team of villains are only sent out on solo missions by the "Organizer" and they never attack DD as a team.  On the other hand the plot elements are intriguing, a...

Daredevil 10 0

As was common at the time, in this issue Stan Lee has handed over the main scripting duties to his artist (Lee did the same with Steve Ditko on Spider-man), so Wally Wood moves on to scripting whilst Bob Powell is also retained to help with 'layouts'.  I'm not quite sure what the difference between layouts and pencilling is - I guess layouts are more 'rough' - Wood is credited as 'art' for this issue.The bad guy in this issue is someone called 'The Organiser'.  Villians in the 60s certainly had ...