How good is Dan Slott's writing?

#1 Edited by Zadoulo (77 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never read his books before and I would like to know how he writes. If I get a good ratings, I might even buy his Superior Spider man series.

#2 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (5553 posts) - - Show Bio

He did some great work on Mighty Avengers, with his handling of Hank Pym in particular.

I don't know of his other works though. I hear a lot of people aren't into Superior Spider-Man.

#3 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2066 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a big fan

#4 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (10056 posts) - - Show Bio

Never ask how Dan Slott is on the Vine. This site is so divided with him. Some will say he's good and others will actually wish death on the man. He has an account on here, in which he answers posts over on the Superior Spider-Man Discussion thread. Personally, I think he's alright. I don't hate him by any means but I don't love him also.

#5 Posted by dbatdog (513 posts) - - Show Bio

not a big fan since 700

#6 Posted by Mitrageist (7197 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be honest. I can't say anything about Superior, but before that, I really enjoyed what he was doing on Spider-man. There were some honestly memorable moments, and I felt that he did a really good job with his portrayal of Peter and his place in the greater MU.

I've read maybe four scattered issues of Slott's Superior, so I can't comment on that.

#7 Posted by M3th (1775 posts) - - Show Bio

He's good but He migHt Have lost His toucH witH Superior Spider. His run witH tHe MigHty Avengers is good tHougH.

MetH Hasn't read Superior yet so He doesn't know.

If you're going to buy His work, you're best cHoice would be MigHty Avengers.

-Abstract 4$$#073-

#8 Posted by bigtewell (691 posts) - - Show Bio

i like slotts style of writing he flows well and has interesting stories hes in my top 3 spidey writers. the people who dont like him just dont like how peter died they dont really think about if hes a good writer or not

#9 Edited by Dabee (2359 posts) - - Show Bio

@m3th said:

He's good but He migHt Have lost His toucH witH Superior Spider. His run witH tHe MigHty Avengers is good tHougH.

MetH Hasn't read Superior yet so He doesn't know.

If you're going to buy His work, you're best cHoice would be MigHty Avengers.

-Abstract 4$$#073-

Is there something wrong with your H key?

EDIT: Like it's connected to the shift key somehow?

#10 Posted by Xwraith (10926 posts) - - Show Bio

I like his more humorous stuff (e.g. Great Lakes Avengers and his Thing miniseries from 2006).

#11 Edited by danhimself (21904 posts) - - Show Bio

Never ask how Dan Slott is on the Vine. This site is so divided with him. Some will say he's good and others will actually wish death on the man. He has an account on here, in which he answers posts over on the Superior Spider-Man Discussion thread. Personally, I think he's alright. I don't hate him by any means but I don't love him also.

most of these people can't differentiate between Slott's writing and the premise of the book...they think that Slott is a "terrible" writer because they don't like the idea of Superior Spider-man

#12 Posted by M3th (1775 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee: WHat do you mean?

-Soulo-

#13 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (10056 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee: Capitalizing the "H" is apart of his CV gimmick.

@danhimself said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

most of these people can't differentiate between Slott's writing and the premise of the book...they think that Slott is a "terrible" writer because they don't like the idea of Superior Spider-man

This is very true, but some of those people make good points. Sometimes Slott's writing lacks for the sake of making plot have more longevity. Such as the argument of him making all of SSM's supporting characters, save for Carlie, incapable of "common sense." But then again, apparently his run on Mighty Avengers (which I've never read) was one of the best Avengers runs in Marvel. I think his work on Silver Surfer will determine in peoples eyes that he actually is a good writer or if he'll forever be the hack who "killed Spider-Man."

#14 Edited by PunyParker (7135 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a tad ols school,but it's good.....the ,man has told that he's more of a "plotter" and not so much of a "scripter"

#15 Posted by spider11211 (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

This is very true, but some of those people make good points. Sometimes Slott's writing lacks for the sake of making plot have more longevity. Such as the argument of him making all of SSM's supporting characters, save for Carlie, incapable of "common sense." But then again, apparently his run on Mighty Avengers (which I've never read) was one of the best Avengers runs in Marvel. I think his work on Silver Surfer will determine in peoples eyes that he actually is a good writer or if he'll forever be the hack who "killed Spider-Man."

Well said...but I think the latter may be the case.

#16 Posted by HumanRocket (4895 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I have read I can say that I like his wrote Spiderman/Peter. The two issues (18,19) of superior were good only read them for Spider-Man 2099.

#17 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15950 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not good at all.

He sucks.

It may have been good at one time, not anymore.

#18 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11735 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a good writer. I can acknowledge that even though i hate the premise for Superior Spider-man

#19 Posted by BR_Havoc (1158 posts) - - Show Bio

If I had to grade him I would give him a solid B. He handles humor well but his writing is very much like a summer block buster its big its flashy but there is not much depth and sometimes it can be quickly forgotten.

#20 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

He's good. Really like his work on Superior, some of Amazing, She-Hulk, and mighty avengers.

#21 Posted by BumpyBoo (7215 posts) - - Show Bio

Aw this thread makes me miss Fade V_V

On topic though:

He's not good at all.

He sucks.

It may have been good at one time, not anymore.

This.

#22 Edited by TheAcidSkull (15950 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by Dabee (2359 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee said:

@danhimself said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

Well said...but I think the latter may be the case.

Of course you would, because you're close-minded.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.