Follow

Dan Abnett

Person » Dan Abnett is credited in 2636 issues.

Dan Abnett is a British comic book writer, novelist and screenwriter.

Interview: Dan Abnett talks INFINITE CRISIS and Writing Different Versions of Characters.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

There's a crisis coming. Actually it will be coming on a weekly basis. The comic book based on a video game based on a comic is the upcoming Digital First comic from DC Entertainment. Dan Abnett will be writing the story showing the story and battles taking place across the DC Multiverse and involving familiar and unfamiliar versions of the DC characters we all know.

To find out more about this comic and who we can expect to see, we asked Abnett some questions about the comic.

INFINITE CRISIS #1 cover by Gene Ha
    INFINITE CRISIS #1 cover by Gene Ha

COMIC VINE: What’s it like writing a comic based on a video game that’s based on a comic?

DAN ABNETT: [laughs] Well, I’ve written comics based on video games before. But yeah, a comic based on a video game based on a comic is a little odd. I think it’s a matter of taking the fellow inspiration of the comic and doing that justice and also to channel that through the way the game is working. It’s fantastic. It’s showing how they’ve constructed the game world based on the original inspiration. It’s slightly existential.

CV: What’s main focus or premiss at the beginning?

DA: One of the things I want to establish its the basic concept—the fictional concept and also how that relates to the experience for those playing the game. There’s how you interact with it as a player. I start very very simply with a sort of ominous prologue that sets up the Crisis. And then move to Prime Earth. Batman is the first basic character. Through him, we experience the unfolding strangeness an other-worldliness of the Crisis and how it’s going to affect all the other worlds.

CV: Will Batman continue to be a main character as the series ventures into the other worlds?

DA: Yes he will, yes. I felt it was very important to have a grand and focused character. What I hope he’d be, because we have the wonderful format digitally and the weekly episodes to keep the momentum going, the first story would involve Batman. I will then sidestep and show another beginning point and have several threads going side by side that will combine in ways. So we’ll have different focus characters. Batman is sort of the primary character, if not in every episode, then in terms of the story as a whole.

INFINITE CRISIS #2 cover by Dan Panosian
    INFINITE CRISIS #2 cover by Dan Panosian

CV: How long does it take him to adjust to alternate versions of people he knows?

DA: Interestingly, I think he appears to adjust very quickly once he gets over the initial surprise. He’s so stoic and it’s difficult to tell how much it’s affecting him. Some of the individuals he’s going to meet are going to be particularly challenging for him because he knows them very well except he doesn’t know who these people are. When I started mixing, I was looking around to find interesting combinations of people to put side by side. So their expectations are completely faulty when they meet in alternate versions.

CV: Will that give him an advantage of knowing them in ways the Batman of that world might not?

DA: I suppose it will but it will also bring certain disadvantages because characters in other worlds do fly against type. There will be some advantage to be had. One of the things I did like to play down is some of the other Batmans…Batmen? Batmans or Batmens? Some of the alternates are extremely different and exuding powers and technology and different things like that. Obviously, if you’re from, I don’t know, Earth-44, you don’t necessarily think of Prime Earth as being the same from which all others spring. Their expectations of our Batman are often surprised when they realize he has no powers and yet he’s supremely capable. It’s a fun dynamic to play with.

CV: With the characters like Arcane Green Lantern or Atomic Wonder Woman, how much freedom do you have to flesh them out?

DA: With those two in particular, there’s a certain amount but obviously they’re already in the game. There are designs and pre-ordained backgrounds that have been constructed. In order to give the story some freedom, I’ve requested the opportunity to use characters they’re not using or ones they may not have used yet. This way we could get characters that defy the expectations from people that have played the game. It’s a nice balance. Where I’m restricted, I lead with a well established DC hero or a re-establish a variant that they’ve built. I bring in character and balance that out with a complete wild and crazy idea that I believe will then go back into the game. If all goes according to plan.

No Caption Provided

CV: What’s it like writing a character like Atomic Two-Face since he’s so different fromthe version we know?

DA: He’s actually a good example of a character they gave us to say what we’d like to do with him and how we’d like him to be. Then they designed him to be like that. It was lovely. He’s absolutely a character that’s been invented for the game by the comic.

CV: Who’s been your favorite character to write so far?

DA: Gosh, that’s difficult. I suppose Batman is always fun to write. I’m really liking Flash. Some of the variants also have surprised me with their personalities, particularly the Arcane Green Lantern and Nightmare Robin. Robin, especially when he has to interact with Batman. It’s nice to develop and flow those along. I’m just now, because I’m working far ahead, opening up and bringing in new characters. I don’t know if there’s just one that I’ve really enjoyed writing more.

CV: Besides Flash, will other regular characters take part in the story?

DA: Earth Prime characters? Absolutely yes. I want to get a careful mix in there to get the balance right but yes. Flash will appear, Cyborg, Zatanna, and a couple other surprises later on.

INFINITE CRISIS begins this month. It will be a Digital First series you can read online or on the DC app. The comic will later be available in print beginning in July.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Soooo an other Batbook I won't be picking up.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

More like Crisis of Infinite Batman

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I might get it in trade form like I do with Injustice. I'm not really into reading comics digitally. I feel as though something gets lost in the translation. Maybe I'm crazy, but that's how I feel. Plus I don't have the money to buy another series (even just for $1/week).

Nahuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Oh man... The Batman haters are gonna blow this comic.

He is a great character that adapts quickly to every situation, so it was the obvious choice. Wich is not surprising.I'm a Bat-fan, but I would have liked this better if the main character was Cyborg or Flash. I mean we already have Batman Eternal, Futures End wich the main characters are Batman related. Give the character a break.

I might pick this up in trade (if it gets collected) but I lost interest even when Nightmare Robin sounds like fun.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So there is Crisis across entire DC Multiverse – and Batman the main character in it; I would have liked to see in his place Martian Manhunter, Captain Atom or Doctor Fate… Jeez, I was interested in this book – until this interview. Thanks, but I’ll pass.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be checking it out even though Batman is being overused.

Before you accuse me of being a Batman hater, I'm actually a fan of the character. DC just needs to stop oversaturating him or he will just go the way of Wolverine.

Sighburr_Punk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nukea6 said:

I'll be checking it out even though Batman is being overused.

Before you accuse me of being a Batman hater, I'm actually a fan of the character. DC just needs to stop oversaturating him or he will just go the way of Wolverine.

I agree. Also, isn't marvel doing the same thing with Spiderman right now?

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leave1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Leave1942

Soooo, wait? Is this in the Nu52, or is it in a separate continuity like Injustice?

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

Dan abnett is the man!

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By amazing_webhead

Well, if it's anything like the comic, this should be good

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By NightFang3

@nukea6: @sanohibiki: @nahuel: @outside_85: @thesexyloser:

Way wouldn't Batman be the main character in this game? When all 3 versions of him are the best look.

No Caption Provided

@leave1942 said:

Soooo, wait? Is this in the Nu52, or is it in a separate continuity like Injustice?

Not trying to be a jerk, but what do you think would make the most sesne?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Outside_85

@nightfang: Because there are 1999 other characters that could have done it as well.

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
    thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang:

Because Dcs motto is everything is Batman.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang: Thinking he has the best looks is your opinion and it shouldn't automatically make him the main character. I like Batman but if DC keeps whoring him out, I'm just gonna get sick of him. Zero Year is already starting to make him unlikable for me and I don't blame Snyder for this.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang: Because there are 1999 other characters that could have done it as well.

And how many of them sale as well as Batman other than Superman.

@nightfang:

Because Dcs motto is everything is Batman.

Maybe that's because anything with Batman sales better.

@nukea6 said:

@nightfang: Thinking he has the best looks is your opinion and it shouldn't automatically make him the main character. I like Batman but if DC keeps whoring him out, I'm just gonna get sick of him. Zero Year is already starting to make him unlikable for me and I don't blame Snyder for this.

How is DC whoring him out? Yes Batman plans a major role in Future End's but that's a given sense the whole world is at stake and it's not like the other heroes aren't doing nothing. Most of the solicitations center on B and C lists characters.

How is Zero Year making Batman unlikable?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Way wouldn't Batman be the main character in this game? When all 3 versions of him are the best look.

..... that means nothing to me and it's your opinion not fact.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang: I get Batman is popular but when he has multiple titles including a few that are non-continuity (Black and White for example) and has to be the hero in every videogame / comic event, then it's clear they are just using him too much. It's becoming as bad as what Marvel is doing with Wolverine (he even replaced Kitty's role in the Days of Future Past movie).

And I really should say the New 52 as a whole is making Batman look bad. They're making a bit too gritty and now he even swears. I'm not expecting an Adam West Batman and I know his son died but does he have to act like that in Zero Year?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And how many of them sale as well as Batman other than Superman.

So sales is all that matters to who gets the lead no matter how forced and unnatural the choice is? Why not use one of the characters that can actually cross dimensions and have a less forced and possibly much better story?

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
    thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nukea6:

"becoming" it far surpasses what Marvel does with Wolverine they don't even whore him out that much Fox does in the movies but actual Marvel doesn't whore him out. Were even at a point where alot of X-Men are getting or have their own solo series and Wovlerine isn't in alot of the X-Men books so the way they whore him out isn't anywhere near the level the DC whores out Batman they might as well just change the company name to Batman because that's all it is anymore.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nukea6:

"becoming" it far surpasses what Marvel does with Wolverine they don't even whore him out that much Fox does in the movies but actual Marvel doesn't whore him out. Were even at a point where alot of X-Men are getting or have their own solo series and Wovlerine isn't in alot of the X-Men books so the way they whore him out isn't anywhere near the level the DC whores out Batman they might as well just change the company name to Batman because that's all it is anymore.

Well maybe Batman is overused more but I stopped caring about Wolverine when he started appearing in everything and went Mary Sue status. On top of that, he became much less badass and his ongoings sucked. It got to a point where he stopped being my favorite X-Men character. At least Batman has good stuff for the most part but I'm getting sick of him being center-stage of the DC universe especially since he can't even fix his own city.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang said:

It's a fact that Batman sells more than any other DC character, it's sad but that's the truth period. And it would be foolish for DC to not have him in the forefront for a book about alternate versions of heroes and villains.

@nukea6 said:

@nightfang: I get Batman is popular but when he has multiple titles including a few that are non-continuity (Black and White for example) and has to be the hero in every videogame / comic event, then it's clear they are just using him too much. It's becoming as bad as what Marvel is doing with Wolverine (he even replaced Kitty's role in the Days of Future Past movie).

And I really should say the New 52 as a whole is making Batman look bad. They're making a bit too gritty and now he even swears. I'm not expecting an Adam West Batman and I know his son died but does he have to act like that in Zero Year?

Why wouldn't Marvel use Wolverine for DoFP? The only people who know who Kitty is is us, the movie audience want to see Wolverine that's why he's in every X-Men movie.

Your reasons for disliking Zero Year and New 52 Batman come off as just silly.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NukeA6

@nightfang: People want to watch Days of Future Past because they want to watch an X-Men movie, not Wolverine. Movie Wolverine isn't the same as in the comics. And the fact that Kitty is unfamiliar with non-comic readers is why she should stay as main protagonist. Should Wolverine and Spider-Man replace Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in Avengers 2 because they're more recognizable? But then again, that movie is done by Marvel studios and not Fox or Sony so of course they will do things right.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nukea6 said:

@nightfang: People want to watch Days of Future Past because they want to watch an X-Men movie, not Wolverine. Movie Wolverine isn't the same as in the comics. And the fact that Kitty is unfamiliar with non-comic readers is why she should stay as main protagonist. Should Wolverine and Spider-Man replace Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in Avengers 2 because they're more recognizable? But then again, that movie is done by Marvel studios and not Fox or Sony so of course they will do things right.

I didn't say people only wanted Wolverine, but he is the most popular from the franchise; the plots of X-Men 1 and 2 mostly centered around him until the middle to end of the films, he has 2 of his own movies and made a cameo in another.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang: So in other words, he has been in enough movies. Kitty barely has a presence and the upcoming movie would have been a good way to use her. That opportunity has been missed.

mcanarki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesexyloser said:

@nightfang said:

It's a fact that Batman sells more than any other DC character, it's sad but that's the truth period. And it would be foolish for DC to not have him in the forefront for a book about alternate versions of heroes and villains.

Spiderman?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.