Off My Mind: Will Damian Wayne Be Robin for Much Longer?

• 112 results
Posted by G-Man (36632 posts) - - Show Bio

When Damian Wayne and his mother, Talia al Ghul, showed up in Gotham City, I never would have imagined he could become Robin. Batman already had a great Robin with Tim Drake. Damian was an annoying and deadly brat that felt he was above everyone else. Raised by the Assassins Guild, a future as part of the Dynamic Duo didn't appear to be likely.

Yet, Damian started showing a desire to play that role. As the true son of Batman, he felt it was a role that belonged to him, especially over an adopted child of Batman's.

When Batman appeared to have died before Battle for the Cowl, Damian took over as Robin as Tim Drake moved on to Red Robin.

Partnering with Dick Grayson, Damian's career as Robin started off a little shaky. As the two worked together, it was clear just how good of a Robin Damian could be. Now that Bruce Wayne is back as Batman and the changes in the 'New 52,' could it be that Damian's time as Robin is coming to an end?

== TEASER ==

Being Robin is a role many want to have but for some reason, they don't stick with the identity permanently. Dick Grayson needed to separate himself from Batman and became Nightwing. Jason Todd was 'killed' by the Joker. Tim Drake moved on to become Red Robin. Stephanie Brown almost doesn't count since she barely held onto the position. With Damian being so young (ten years old), you would think he would have many years ahead of him as the Boy Wonder.

When Damian first was handed over to Batman, he was impossible to deal with. He immediately felt he was above the others and his training with the Assassin's Guild didn't teach him how to get along with others. He made it clear that he was given to Batman against his will, he didn't want to be there. Yet he immediately started forming respect for his father. He might not have approved of their crimefighting ways but he still wanted the role of Robin as he felt he was the only one worthy to be his father's partner.

In the pages of the current Batman and Robin series, Damian is going through some changes. When Bruce first returned from being 'dead,' Damian was completely respectful. Now, partnering with his dad, Damian has fallen into the ways of an ungrateful child.

No matter how great of a relationship a father and son have, there's always going to be some tension at some point or another. The fact that Bruce isn't exactly used to being the father figure of a young child, he might not be able to give Damian the emotional response he would need. Then again, Damian never really had a healthy relationship with his mother either. It's possible he might be a little upset over not being partners with Dick anymore. They butted heads in the beginning but developed a great relationship as the Dynamic Duo.

Maybe Damian's going through puberty but he seems to be lashing out against his father. He should know by now that Batman and Robin do not kill. There are other ways to deal with opponents. His time alone in the Batcave was pretty scary as well.

The role of Robin almost seems cursed. Other heroes tend to stick to the superhero identity they take on. Robin almost has a revolving door attached to it. Being Robin has resulted in ridicule among some readers but Tim Drake helped to make the identity cool. Damian has been doing great things as well, being able to take on enemies with little effort.

Damian may be Batman's son but if he can't get on the same page as Bruce, he won't be Robin for much longer. Damian might not want to admit it, but being Robin means something to him.

If Damian leaves the post of Robin, where would that leave him? Going back to Talia and the assassin's guild doesn't seem to be an option, at least not with the way she used him against Dick Grayson (as Batman). Damian is a tough little kid and has that 'love-to-hate' vibe going for him but it looks like there's some writing on the wall and that writing doesn't look too favorable for him.

Then again, with Batman and Robin getting a fresh start in the 'New 52,' it's not like the series will end any time soon. Maybe it'll change to "Batman and Red Robin" or there'll be other changes. It falls on Damian whether or not he wants to continue to be Robin. Batman, as his father, can try to steer him in the right direction, in terms of doing the right thing and not killing. It's Damian that has to do his part in order to have the right to be Robin. Damian is young and it'd be a shame to see his career as Robin end so soon.

#1 Posted by Alch21 (210 posts) - - Show Bio

At this point in time DC is near frozen. Or so I hope because they cant risk anyone getting older. So he'll be Robin for a REALLY long time.

#2 Posted by The_Tree (7720 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm excited to see where he goes, and to see if he and Bruce will form a close and loving relationship.

Hopefully his time as Robin won't be cut short, I'm a little worried that he'll be killed in Morrison's grand finale.

#3 Posted by Omegalpha (61 posts) - - Show Bio

I anticipate he will remain in the role for a while.

#4 Edited by NightFang (10128 posts) - - Show Bio

Please, let the Joker kill this little brat!

#5 Posted by Bat_Mite51 (48 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Tree said:

Hopefully his time as Robin won't be cut short, I'm a little worried that he'll be killed in Morrison's grand finale.

I really hope he doesn't get killed off.. Damian is a snot-nosed brat but he grew on me during Morrison's B&R run.
I think he's been one of the most interesting Robin's so far.
#6 Posted by imjustbettr (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't understand the hate for Damian, as far as I'm concerned he's the BEST Robin after the original.

I mean common, he's the only one after Dick that is believably capable of actually being a superhero. Unlike Tim and Jason who magically became gifted in martial arts and other stuff after a year with batman, Dick and Damian actually trained most of their life for the gig.

I like Tim and I even think the Red Hood is kinda cool, but Damian is the best. The fact that he's a wildcard makes him more rounded as a character.

#7 Edited by Utandi (218 posts) - - Show Bio

When Damian squashed the bat in "Batman and Robin" 2# and Alfred saw it from the shadows without him noticing...

...that was such a great moment! It was like: "HOLY S**T! And what now?!"

I'm really excited to know what will become of Damian as Robin.

#8 Posted by clumsyninja (143 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce should get a crowbar...soon

#9 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved it when Tim Drake literally broke his face with a punch in Red Robin #14. In fact, that entire issue was just awesome. Damian found out that Tim had him on his Hit List and Damian tried to ambush him. Tim absolutely destroyed him. 

" I've always held back for Bruce and for Dick." - Tim.

#10 Posted by uriah954 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Bruce should just give him the spanking of a lifetime

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33889 posts) - - Show Bio

I am really not happy with the characterisation of Damian in the new 52 so far. Under Dick he had began to mature and now he has just totally regressed. Crushing a bat WTF?

#12 Posted by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm... nice article. i always thought he was the brattiest Robin. I want to slap him. Bring back Tim!

#13 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13400 posts) - - Show Bio

No disrespect to his fans but i really hope Damian leaves. Tim needs to be Robin again.

#14 Posted by ltbrd (562 posts) - - Show Bio

Just like Dick would never have returned to the identity of Robin after Jason's death there is no way Tim is ever going to be Robin again. He's Red Robin now. He has his own identity and his own purpose. Even though we've all accepted that Dick should be Nightwing because that's who he really is the simple fact is Tim is Red Robin because that's who he really is.

As for Damian I think he's being written beautifully as the boy that finally gets to be around his father and the conflicting emotions that is causing. Before Bruce's "death" he could see him and interact with him but in the majority of those interactions Bruce was always Batman, the myth, the legend. They weren't really close. When Dick was Batman all Damian had was the idealized image of Bruce, again living on the idea of the legend of the man. Now that Bruce is back and Damian is a partner with him, he doesn't just see him as Batman but also as Bruce Wayne and so he is seeing sides of his father he didn't before and some that are in contradiction to his idealized image. Issue #1 showed that perfectly. Damian would never have guessed just how emotional and regretful Bruce really was and he was both annoyed but mostly uncomfortable with the little "ritual" he and Bruce performed. So how does a young child respond to being annoyed and uncomfortable? By lashing out, which is exactly what Damian did.

As for the trust part I think that's hurting Damian's pride a bit too. This is an aspect of Bruce that I don't agree with in the new 52 as after both Infinite Crisis and his return from "death", Bruce was written as being far more trusting, more open, especially with his "Bat Family". So to see his attitude shift in the new 52 back to the untrusting, completely calculating Batman that almost lead to the death of the Justice League and built Brother Eye is a bit disappointing. But I digress. What I think this really comes down to is respect. When Damian worked with Dick it was apparent that Dick had immediate respect for Damian's skills, even if he didn't trust him to use those skills properly at the start. But in Damian's mind Bruce doesn't have the same respect for his skills and that compounds the fact that he doesn't trust him.

I think Damian should remain as Robin because he's actually being written very well for the situation he currently finds himself in. I think over the next year or two of issues we are going to see something we never did before.......a showdown between Batman and Robin. Even when Dick was becoming angry with Bruce they never really fought (just a quick punch from Dick was really it) but I can see a final confrontation coming between Bruce and Damian that will result in a sort of "clearing of the air" between the two.

#15 Posted by God_Spawn (38096 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with the first couple of comments that it will probably be for awhile. With Dick being de-aged 21 and Jason just slightly younger than him, and then Tim just being a few years at the most than Jason . All 3 former Robins are pretty clustered in the age bracket and moving Damian up into a new persona would just congest things more. I see people wanting Tim to be Robin again but DC can't really do that if they want Tim to grow as a character. For a few years he's shown that he can handle himself quite well and that he has grown into his part as Red Robin and isn't so much in Dick and Jason's shadow, he is his own character.

#16 Posted by GothamRed (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

he'll be robin until a younger black-haired boy with an impossible special skill set becomes prominent in bruce's life, then he'll ditch damien and he'll get a new superhero handle and his own title in the new 52, either leading a team or solo, unless the history of the robins has some other addendum I'm not seeing

#17 Edited by Darkus_99 (68 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate Damaian...When Bruce died, Damaian promised not to kill. Then he became Batman and started to kill! He totally sucks!

#18 Posted by Kaowas (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I was a big fan of the harmonious dichotomy of Batman and Robin when it was Dick and Damian running around in the roles. They changed up who was the scary character, and eventually made Damian a much more fun character. At certain points we have seen him bantering with Dick about their line of work. Dick Grayson is Damian's older brother. He's the cool one who knows the stuff that dad has already taught him. Tim's the middle child so Damian would of course hate him, but Dick is the guy to look up to. He was Bruce's first choice and was technically his first "son," despite not being adopted by Bruce.

When Damian was partnered with Dick, he ended up emulating Dick's ways. He adopted the bantering and the free spirited youth that comes with being Robin, and that was taught to him by Dick. But now that Bruce is back in Gotham, he's just trying to follow in his footsteps. That is all that Damian has ever wanted to do, and that is what he is doing now.

At this point in time, there is no way he will killed off, but I think there is a chance that we will see him and Bruce at each other's throat for a time. He idolizes his father, but Damian does not need a father right now, he needs his fun-loving big brother back.

#19 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd prefer Damian to stay Robin for now and just give a book to Tim again, Red Robin or not!! Tim's always had his own solo title...and there isn't currently any (Red) Robin on-going....

#20 Posted by Moonleming (39 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce is going to step up. When this arc is done Bruce and Damian will be closer then ever. The only writing on the wall is that Bruce needs to be a better father as well as mentor. Bruce needs to acknowledge that Damian is still a kid with the desires for approval and acceptance a lot of kids have.

#21 Posted by mbembet (219 posts) - - Show Bio

Damian is the best robin i used to hate robin cos robin is fag but Damian changed robin forever!

#22 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Make him Red Robin and give the Robin name back to Tim.

#23 Posted by Grimoire (545 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's your choice.

Lose the attitude and shape up to be a good crime fighter or you will just have to move back in with your mother where she could use you in experiments and possibly put you under her remote control again young man? lol

#24 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

20 years?

#25 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33889 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kaowas said:

I was a big fan of the harmonious dichotomy of Batman and Robin when it was Dick and Damian running around in the roles. They changed up who was the scary character, and eventually made Damian a much more fun character. At certain points we have seen him bantering with Dick about their line of work. Dick Grayson is Damian's older brother. He's the cool one who knows the stuff that dad has already taught him. Tim's the middle child so Damian would of course hate him, but Dick is the guy to look up to. He was Bruce's first choice and was technically his first "son," despite not being adopted by Bruce.

When Damian was partnered with Dick, he ended up emulating Dick's ways. He adopted the bantering and the free spirited youth that comes with being Robin, and that was taught to him by Dick. But now that Bruce is back in Gotham, he's just trying to follow in his footsteps. That is all that Damian has ever wanted to do, and that is what he is doing now.

At this point in time, there is no way he will killed off, but I think there is a chance that we will see him and Bruce at each other's throat for a time. He idolizes his father, but Damian does not need a father right now, he needs his fun-loving big brother back.

This
#26 Edited by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

Didio said around the time the relaunch was announced that the characters were starting to age and develop too fast. He said that characters are going to slow down development wise. If this is true, I see him as Robin for a while. But then again, its pretty much Grant Morrison's character and he can do whatever he wants with him. Apparently he's going to play a big role in Leviathan and Grant says were going to cry. I certainly hope another Robin doesn't die.

I also think that Bruce wants to give him a chance to be a kid without the Robin persona. He wants him to take a step away from the violence. I think that he thinks he needs to learn to be more "human" and have respect for human life.

#27 Posted by johnny_spam (2036 posts) - - Show Bio

I've had a problem with Batman and Robin because of two events that happened in the first two issues. I do understand that Damian would still have problems and that is why Bruce should still be working on making Damian a better kid but he seemed past certain impulses in the first two issues.

#28 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

Anybody else find it odd that Robins age and grow as characters but Batman/ Bruce Wanye really doesn't?

#29 Posted by Gokujam (66 posts) - - Show Bio

I know!!! If DIck is 21, just how old is Bruce???

#30 Posted by DKing_CiCADA (340 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont think he will be going any where anytime soon. I used to feel the same way thinking that he was an annoying little brat, but Damian has grown on me and I really like him now. I'm probably going to drop blue beetle just so I can pick up batman and robin instead.

#31 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (889 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope he stays in the role of Robin for a long time, he's been an enjoyable character, to me anyway, since his introduction. Since he is Morrsion's creation, I imagine he would have some say in what happens to him. And with the reboot, I would think they would want to keep things the same for a little while, so he should be safe for a few years.

#32 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally for me, I just do not see Damian stepping down from the role from the mere fact that he feels he's the best one suited for the position. In his mind, everyone else seems far inferior to the role of Robin I think that by that reasoning, and that reasoning alone, Damian will continue to be Robin and fight alongside his dead. Just far too spoiled and egotistical to just let it fall into anyone's hands. The father/son dynamic will just bring them closer together I say, and if Damian is being a little spoiled brat now, there will come a time when Bruce will lay the smackdown to him and get him to start behaving in a way that exemplifies that he's growing up rather than just showing growth. Lots of formative days ahead for the Dynamic Duo!

#33 Posted by Roldan (241 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eyz said:

I'd prefer Damian to stay Robin for now and just give a book to Tim again, Red Robin or not!! Tim's always had his own solo title...and there isn't currently any (Red) Robin on-going....

Well he's kinda the main character in Teen Titans.

#34 Posted by speedstermike (23 posts) - - Show Bio

jason todd and damian should team

#35 Posted by Sakurafire (60 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly there was so much potential with Dick and Damien. Having Bruce back threw a wrench into everything. I like Morrison's writing, I love the art in B&R, but dammit-all-to-hell I can't stand the lack of 'dynamic' in this duo.

#36 Posted by Z3RO180 (6618 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang: even though this kid isnt real that a little cold.

#37 Posted by GBrutality (193 posts) - - Show Bio

i still don't see why he wouldn't stay in the role for a while. everyone in comics now (excluding new 52 jargen) is always in a damn rush for some big thing and to force evolution all the time to the point it's annoying. dick only got to be batman for a little over a year, now damian is at his end as robin after the same amount of time? dick was robin for YEARS before leaving batman and going to the teen titans, and even then he was still robin. after a while he turned into nightwing and that was his identity until two years ago and he's already back to it. jason todd was killed because there wasn't much to like about jason as robin. he was violent just because he had some anger. people chose to take him out of the role with that call number even. it helped shape how bad the joker is, how much batman needs a robin, and that death sticks (before they were super cheap). he came back, yes, but he came back into the fold as a fairly more interesting character, if only they stuck him as a batman semi-villain whose a murderous vigilante instead. tim drake was THE robin in my eyes. he was behind the domino-mask for almost two decades until two years ago when he became red robin, and that was because he understood the meaning of their code and what their mantles should stand for and that was why dick didn't want him as his robin because he and dick were pretty much on the same level. bruce could teach tim a little more, dick couldn't. damian however, needed guidance, and his kind of guidance was best at the hands of grayson. is he violent? yeah, but it's a trained and explainable reason for his aggressive nature that it seemed dick was helping him get under control. of course it's not a good idea for him to be partnered with bruce because there's too much on the line. he had to learn to kind of care about him after he "died", but he has always known to dislike him. he needed to be taught to not kill every enemy, but was raised under the league of shadows. he's more likely mad than anything at the notion that for however long in comic-land it was that he's been robin, he has changed. he's come to truly adore his role as robin even if he won't admit it. he had relationships grow with dick and stephanie, he even worked with the teen titans for a bit. bruce came back and all on his checklist was that dick was doing a good job, tim was doing insane work and he even should get a hug, the others did well, and that it was time to expand the business. damian is conflicted on what he wants because, again, raised around hate, then realizes they aren't the greatest to be around, wants a mantle he can't realistically handle anytime soon, has a mantle he feels he doesn't get the recognition from the number one person he believes he should get it from, the person that helped him fit in to the role he can no longer be partners with, his mom wants nothing to do with him, he's got a lot of reasons to be as scary as he comes across. two intense individuals (in their own ways) is an odd partnering, sure. but bruce needs to take a page out of dick's book, which maybe he will at some point on how to deal with damian, and damian will eventually cool down. either way, there's no real signs of his tenure as robin coming to such an abrupt end.

#38 Posted by Wattup (648 posts) - - Show Bio

This is what I want to see:

#39 Posted by RichyRich (55 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see Red Hood and Robin Hood...and the Outlaws. Jason and Damian would have a rather strange dynamic I sooooooo want to see play out

#40 Posted by Xenozoic Shaman (410 posts) - - Show Bio
Is there anyone more annoying/grating on the nerves than Damian Wayne?  The only one I could think of is Dawn Summers, of Buffy fame.

@Wattup said:

This is what I want to see:

Yes, that was truly a great moment.  Don't piss off The Batman.
#41 Posted by EdBlank (542 posts) - - Show Bio

How about they all go by Night Red Robin Hood Wing and form a Corps

#42 Posted by Kairan1979 (16845 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe turn him into Red Hood's sidekick?

#43 Posted by FireFlare153 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

With Damian gone, who else could pick up the mantle of Robin?

#44 Posted by HexThis (902 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not a good idea to keep Damian around at all, I'm surprised they even kept him around for the relaunch. He's a decent character but there's no reason for why Bruce Wayne would endanger his very own son after the trauma of his life on a routine basis like this. There's a good chance Damian will either see his father die or die himself before the eyes of his father - there's simply no place for him in the Bat family for that reason alone.

#45 Posted by ThexX (1573 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see Damian being like Jason without the dying part

#46 Posted by MetropolisKid41 (515 posts) - - Show Bio

Well to answer the question proposed, if this was Marvel he would die relatively soon, as they seem to be killing characters left and right :P But I have a feeling he'll stick around, I mean one of the titles is Batman & Robin, and it's been selling well. I don't see them killing him to at least issue 15ish+ I think he'll be around at least a year, probably closer to a year and a half. Who else would be Robin in the B& R title? Jason is busy in the Outlaws and he's made it pretty clear that while he values the training he received from Batman, he doesn't intend to be a part of the "Bat-Family" anytime soon. Dick's Nightwing, and Tim seems to be satisfied with his role as conspiracy theorist and Teen Titan's accidental founder.

#47 Posted by slapz88 (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Im not too familiar with the Damian as robin since I was one to jump in because of the new 52, but the way they are making Damian out right now seems to be a very dark character with some serious underlying issues. I sense a villian coming from this. Not right now, but definetely in the works. I mean how better of a villian for batman then his own son. Think about it.

#48 Posted by Trodorne (2592 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kaowas said:

I agree, He needs to go live with Dick for a while and maybe travel around in haley's circus. at least with Dick he would be an equal partner. Bruce is a paranoid jerk who I could never look up to as a friend but could respect as a detective.
#49 Posted by mattydeNero (526 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be nice if maybe they wrote up an arc with Damien being tested by some unknown villian Put Robin through the typical trials and whatnot. Have him face the same fates as the previous Robins and survive. Then Batman and the gang will have no choice in rescuing Robin as they all realize how important Damien is to them.

Or they could off him.. I don't really see that happening though. A Nightwing/Red Robin mini has to happen. That we my favorite part of the whole BFTC fiasco.

#50 Posted by Lion_Heart22 (446 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he should be maimed, then after two years killed by the Joker.

I'm pretty sure what would happen if DC decided to ask its readers to vote again on a Robin's fate...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.