Could Damina be a clone?

#1 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

I was just rereading Son of the Demon. The graphic novel where Batman gets Talia pregnant. As far as I know this child was/is supposed to be Damian. Now

Considering it is Morrison that introduced the character of Damian back in Batman and Son, and knowing that he isn't the kind of writer that likes to throw away anything established...matter of fact quite the opposite. Morrison loves to keep forgotten established elements, Dark Knight Dark City's story and Dr. Hurt's origin are evidence of this. In a recent issue of Batman and Robin it was revealed that Talia

So here's what I'm thinking. While Talia is a rather cold individual and does a lot of messed up stuff often. At heart I feel she is a nurturer. She puts the idea of family above all else. She cares deeply for her father, took care of Jason, and was extremely passionate about avenging her mother. So I have a hard time buying that she would stand by and let her actual son get beat to near death multiple times. This is why I'm starting to think that the Damian who is Robin right now is really a clone of the original Talia gave away. I think Talia gave up her real son and began cloning him to stay in her father's good graces and to feel good about knowing her real son is in good hands.
Thoughts?
#2 Posted by entropy_aegis (15055 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sydpart2:
Its actually very concievable,many people think after reading batman:the return that damian is a clone who will die at the end of morrisons run. 
cases can be made both in favour and against this.damian is morrisons permanent legacy for lack of better words to the batfamily,you just dont create a character give him massive development and just kill him away.then there is also the fact that damian has just recently begun to be integrated to mainstream DC .but there is also a possibility that morrison may put away his ego and actually do it. 
time will tell.
#3 Posted by NightFang (9960 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he was a clone baby.

#4 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang: what?
#5 Posted by NightFang (9960 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sydpart2 said:
" @NightFang: what? "
I thought Talia use Bruce DNA and made Damian in a test-tube.  
#6 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang: 
nope, he was the product of Batman being date raped according to Morrison in Batman number 656

#7 Posted by NightFang (9960 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sydpart2: Oh, I had forgotten about that.
#8 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

This is  actually pretty plausible...

#9 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope he's not a clone. The Ibn Al Xu'fasch story should be continued in Damian rather than have him be a clone.

#10 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio
@batmanary: well it wouldn't matter if he was a clone, the character would still be the same, if he was a clone then this would just mean that the original child Bruce and Talia had is still out in the world.
#11 Edited by mistersarcastic (324 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow...I never thought of that. But if this is indeed a clone, then I wonder how that would effect him psychologically when/if he ever found out. And if the real Damian is adopted, there's no way they'd take him from his adopted family and life of normalcy just to make him a Robin, would they? That would just be redundant. 

But your theory is very plausible...wow. Poor Brat may be a clone. u_u

#12 Posted by Telcalipoca (957 posts) - - Show Bio

the idea of talia giving her child a child with alghul blood to some normal family to live out a mundane life and become a man of little stature... i dont see it. 

raising a copy to do what the original was meant to acomplish i dont see it .too much arrogance in that family to let it happen that way imho

#13 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio
@Telcalipoca: well arrogant or not there's no denying that Talia is a nurturer. Look at how devoted she has been to her father and how she took care of Jason. I don't see a person who seems to care that much about her "beloved's" children and her own child sending him off to be beaten near to death on a regular basis.
#14 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sydpart2 said:
" @batmanary: well it wouldn't matter if he was a clone, the character would still be the same, if he was a clone then this would just mean that the original child Bruce and Talia had is still out in the world. "
But somehow having him be the actual son of Bruce increases his importance within the Batman universe. Having him be a clone would end up sort of demoting him, while the original child, whose character isn't even developed would probably become a focal point in the next arc, basically destroying the relevance that Damian gives Batman in his five-year existence.
#15 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio
@batmanary: well I disagree. He's still the same character we've been reading since the beginning, he's still the same child we've seen mature. If it was revealed that I am right then it would be quite a blow to him but the character would still be just as important as he has been. I mean Super boy is just a clone, that hasn't lost him any importance...though he has died down in popularity lately...
#16 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sydpart2 said:
" @batmanary: well I disagree. He's still the same character we've been reading since the beginning, he's still the same child we've seen mature. If it was revealed that I am right then it would be quite a blow to him but the character would still be just as important as he has been. I mean Super boy is just a clone, that hasn't lost him any importance...though he has died down in popularity lately... "
Yes but Superboy was created as a clone whereas being THE son of Bruce Wayne is such an integral part of Damian's character. He's the rightful heir to the legacy and stripping that away would destroy his character, because it would change him completely.
#17 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio
@batmanary:
well I think it would definitely rock him as a character, but after all the time he's been in that pages (and hell he's already made it to the small screen) I think he's more than just the son of batman by now

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.