gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

It's great to see Damian Wayne again. In some ways it's a little difficult seeing Damian, slightly older, since his death. This issue shows us the potential the character could have had if he survived and comic book time allowed him to age a little.

The crux of the story explores the notion of heroes dealing with the death of a fellow crime-fighting partner. With Damian, there's always been the struggle between his two lives with mother and father. When the worst thing happens and guilt sets in, we see that Damian can only deal with it in the way his instincts tell him to.

There were some minor slight odd things with the opening of the first issue. The interaction between Batman and Robin felt a little strange in the moment before Batman's death. We do get some answers here as well as what the last page of the first issue meant. Seeing the beginning of the next stage for Damian is something we've wanted to see for some time.

The art is great. You feel pulled in and you take in all the details. You can almost feel each punch. Seeing this time period for Gotham is pretty cool. The more you see, the more you want to see.

The Bad

There's more confusion in this issue. The immediate question I had was with the individual Damian is confronted with in the first few pages. Without spoiling, the character is a familiar one but has gone completely gray. How much older is Damian? I didn't think that much time had gone by. Alfred is still alive and kicking and apparently hasn't aged. There is something with the priest Damian talks to. I feel like I'm supposed to know who he is. Am I just completely missing something?

It's great seeing Damian progress but parts of the story felt a little...sporadic. But there's no way I can look away.

The Verdict

More Damian is what we want and this is where we're getting it. There may be some head-scratching moments but seeing Damian move forward to becoming Batman is a cool thing and Andy Kubert's art makes this enjoyable. While we do get some answers about the first issue, there are more that pop up here. It may be a matter of just sitting back and enjoying the adventure but you can't help but wonder how the big picture will turn out. If you're a fan of Damian, you'll want to watch as he enters the next stage of his 'career.'

Avatar image for blueninjapanther
    blueninjapanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By blueninjapanther

I'm glad to see more of Damian

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm wanting to see more Damian and will hopefully be picking up the trade for this if I hear consistent decent reviews for the series.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I think some people go grey early, or stress can cause it.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The person from the beginning act so much crazy himself... I heard about someone executing criminals! I will stop you! As if he give a shut about lives of mad killers.

jlat89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 3

@g_man

"There is something with the priest Damian talks to. I feel like I'm supposed to know who he is. Am I just completely missing something?"

Isn't that Gordon?

FastestBlender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But there's no way I can look away.

There's absolutely a way. You've spent ~$8 on 2 comics with flawed storytelling about a character who was never better than in the hands of his original creator. The odds of this story becoming cannon are minimal, particularly with the character currently dead. Kubert may improve his writing eventually, but not by the next issue or two. Why not spend the time and money on an Image title that hasn't been in CV's review pile next month?

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But there's no way I can look away.

There's absolutely a way. You've spent ~$8 on 2 comics with flawed storytelling about a character who was never better than in the hands of his original creator. The odds of this story becoming cannon are minimal, particularly with the character currently dead. Kubert may improve his writing eventually, but not by the next issue or two. Why not spend the time and money on an Image title that hasn't been in CV's review pile next month?

What makes the story telling flawed?

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry this was a chore to read I picked up the first one to read more damain picked up the second to see what was up with the ending but i will not be picking up the third issue he really should have gotten some one else to write this for him

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is the problem andy kubert?

Chewblocka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Chewblocka

I dont get what you mean @g_man... That last page wasnt confusing. Not for me anyways.

The nurse thing was real confusing tho...

The art is top notch. Im liking the story, especially the twist at the start. The voices of the characters are a little off but I felt like that improved this issue. I cant wait for the next one.

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By asjmooney

I had to re read the last issue as the time scale threw me off.

I'm assuming the nurse is old man joker in drag, The Dark Knight style?

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the first few pages of this issue but damn did it go off the rails after that. I was confused by the priest thing as well. Also, I will pick up this issue just to figure out the thing with the nurse, so odd. Man that art is worth the price of admission though.

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

@g_man: I feel this story is going okay so far too. It was definitely better than the last issue. I don't get how you don't see how Alfred hasn't aged if he has gray hair in this series and black hair in the new 52. So, he does look like he aged quite a bit. I think you might have missed that.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That does not feel like damian

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked this. Some of the dialogue made me cringe but otherwise a lot of fun. Getting to see Damian in the batsuit and Kubert's art is a win win as far as I'm concerned.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.