What do you guys think about Daken? Likable or not.

• 59 results
#1 Posted by ThemightyQ (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Daken is one of my favorite mavel characters I just feel like he loses too much. He mostsly spends his time getting beat up in his comics, what do you guys think.

#2 Posted by jhazzroucher (15199 posts) - - Show Bio

Likable

#3 Edited by God_Spawn (37382 posts) - - Show Bio

For being one of Marvel's newer characters to debut in recent years, he has a pretty impressive resume in abilities and skill and people he has taken it too. I hated him at first. I consider him pretty cool now.

Moderator Online
#4 Edited by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

He is a great character, has nice powers and I would hate him if he existed in the real life.

#5 Posted by Mayo88m (246 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really like him really, definitely more of a Laura fan, but he isn't a bad character by any stretch of the imagination.

#6 Posted by The Stegman (23214 posts) - - Show Bio

meh, i could take him or leave him

#7 Posted by yumyumbubblegum (618 posts) - - Show Bio

Used to like him. Now his characterization is all over the place. E.g. he's currently addicted to the drug "heat". Plus, for all his bravado and schemes, he never actually manages to pull of any of his long term goals.

Daken's last inspiring moment.....
#8 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

@yumyumbubblegum:

I never knew Why he wanted to kill Norman? And how the hell was he able to do that? His claws were made of bone in that moment, right?

#9 Posted by yumyumbubblegum (618 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool said:

@yumyumbubblegum:

I never knew Why he wanted to kill Norman? And how the hell was he able to do that? His claws were made of bone in that moment, right?

Well the underlying characteristic of Daken is that he wants it all; the power, the money, everything. He is the closest comic book adaptation to Tony Montana that you're going to get. During his time as part of Osborn's Dark Avengers, he knew that it would all come down soon, and so wanted to "stir the pot", for lack of a better word. The two claws on his knuckles are bone, although I think they have a unique density that makes them more ferrous (hence the ability to pierce through armor). The third claw on his wrist was coated with the muramasa blade.

#10 Posted by yumyumbubblegum (618 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@yumyumbubblegum: He's not addicted anymore.

I stopped reading Daken's solo series after Taskmaster was introduced, even though I have the next 2-3 copies. Daken has a serious case of delusions of grandeur, although I am glad that he has partially settled his daddy issues.

#11 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

That was a hallucination that was put into his mind (Daken's) - it never happened. And I still like Daken. Very much.

Oh I see, Thanks...

@yumyumbubblegum said:

Well the underlying characteristic of Daken is that he wants it all; the power, the money, everything. He is the closest comic book adaptation to Tony Montana that you're going to get.

Why? Is there a reason? a motivation? Doom is adicted to the power, but he wants to turn the world in his own image, eh wasnto to do something with all that power.

During his time as part of Osborn's Dark Avengers, he knew that it would all come down soon, and so wanted to "stir the pot", for lack of a better word.

LOL WHUT? Then he also loves chaos, interesting...

The two claws on his knuckles are bone, although I think they have a unique density that makes them more ferrous (hence the ability to pierce through armor).

Density or Atomic Structure, oh well, that never happened anyway.

The third claw on his wrist was coated with the muramasa blade.

Nice, so he would kill anyone, even those with healing factor...

#12 Edited by yumyumbubblegum (618 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool said:

@yumyumbubblegum said:

Why? Is there a reason? a motivation? Doom is adicted to the power, but he wants to turn the world in his own image, eh wasnto to do something with all that power.

Inferiority Complex + Living in daddy's shadow + Delusions of Grandeur

@Deadcool said:

Nice, so he would kill anyone, even those with healing factor...

Pretty much....

Skaar would have died if it were not for Banner's intervention
#13 Edited by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

@yumyumbubblegum said:

Inferiority Complex + Living in daddy's shadow + Delusions of Grandeur

Then he wants to be better than his father, so when he gets power, he is actually yelling "DAD!!! LOOK AT ME!! I AM BETTER THAN YOU!!", lol.

Pretty much....

Cool, I like him more than his father.

#14 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7689 posts) - - Show Bio

Daken is just an X-23 ripoff

#15 Posted by CrimsonAlchemist (410 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil: AND x-23 is a bigger ripoff of wolverine ooh.

#16 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio

He isn't likable, but he is compelling.

#17 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#18 Posted by Billy Batson (57799 posts) - - Show Bio

He's related to Wolverine so no.
BB

#19 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

Every time I read something w/Daken it reminds me of Anakin in episode 1-3 who I want to just slap. Once he becomes Vader though I just want to bow my head & show some respect.

I'm still waiting for that Vader moment for Daken.

#20 Posted by yumyumbubblegum (618 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

BB

#21 Posted by Billy Batson (57799 posts) - - Show Bio

@yumyumbubblegum said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

nope.
BB

#22 Posted by rokusan23 (146 posts) - - Show Bio

He's interesting. Depends on who is writing him.

#23 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

it depends upon the story, just like it does with every character. anyone can be interesting if written well.

#24 Posted by danhimself (22306 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked his friendship with Johnny Storm but that was about it

#25 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7689 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonAlchemist said:

A ripoff of a ripoff is worse than the original ripoff

#26 Edited by Postacrat (496 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil said:

@CrimsonAlchemist said:

He is wolverine's biological son, while laura is his partial clone. Since she is actually regarded in and off panel as a template for wolverine assassin like capabilities without any moral standing about it, I fail to see how that makes her less of a wolverine rip-off than Daken who from the very beginning has had some facet of his own personality brainwashed or no and has had no adamantium bonded to him...Hell even Sabertooth has had adamantium bonded to him, is he a rip-off too? Just sayin...no offense at all..

#27 Posted by CrimsonAlchemist (410 posts) - - Show Bio

@Postacrat: Well said buddy boy.

#28 Posted by Duncan (11440 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#29 Edited by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

at one point daken was my favorite , but ive since stopped following him

i always wanted him to get his own series , and since he got it i haven't even pick up a issue

#30 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
He's okay.
#31 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32909 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jnr6Lil said:

@CrimsonAlchemist said:

Alot of "ripoffs" are better than the original. 

Anyway I think Daken is a far more interesting character than Wolverine can ever be. I love his whole Machiavelli/Sun Tzu thing where he uses manipulation and misdirection to make you do things without realising your being manipulated.
#32 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7689 posts) - - Show Bio

@Postacrat said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@CrimsonAlchemist said:

He is wolverine's biological son, while laura is his partial clone. Since she is actually regarded in and off panel as a template for wolverine assassin like capabilities without any moral standing about it, I fail to see how that makes her less of a wolverine rip-off than Daken who from the very beginning has had some facet of his own personality brainwashed or no and has had no adamantium bonded to him...Hell even Sabertooth has had adamantium bonded to him, is he a rip-off too? Just sayin...no offense at all..

No, Daken is specifically a ripoff of Wolverine

And X-23 has a personality.

#33 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7689 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@CrimsonAlchemist said:

Alot of "ripoffs" are better than the original. Anyway I think Daken is a far more interesting character than Wolverine can ever be. I love his whole Machiavelli/Sun Tzu thing where he uses manipulation and misdirection to make you do things without realising your being manipulated.

Wolverine can ever be?

Wolverine's been around for what 40 years.

Dakens been around less than 10, barely 5

#34 Posted by Westlife (1798 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I can't stand the f*cker. Little bit because of the whole Wolverine thing. Haven't read about him in a while though, so maybe my hate is outdated. The way he wants to kill Wolverine, but wolverine wants to protect him from everyone pissed me off. I realize he's your son, but he wants to kill you and everyone that you care about and who cares about you, people you've known for many many years. And then Wolverine started completely neglecting X-23(but then she met up with Gambit and he confronted Wolv about it and became her friend, so that's kinda a good thing). And then the whole Frankencastle thing(which he was the cause of) was stupid and horrible. Also, I don't like his attitude. I was super happy when Gambit finally beat him up. I miss Sabretooth and wish he'd get to beat up Daken a little bit.

#35 Posted by _slim_ (13058 posts) - - Show Bio

He's good with me.

#36 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32909 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jnr6Lil said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@CrimsonAlchemist said:

Alot of "ripoffs" are better than the original. Anyway I think Daken is a far more interesting character than Wolverine can ever be. I love his whole Machiavelli/Sun Tzu thing where he uses manipulation and misdirection to make you do things without realising your being manipulated.

Wolverine can ever be?

What's your point?
#37 Edited by Postacrat (496 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@CrimsonAlchemist said:

Wolverine can ever be?

What's your point?

I was about to ask the same thing lol....

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Postacrat said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@CrimsonAlchemist said:

No, Daken is specifically a ripoff of Wolverine

And X-23 has a personality.

yes now X-23 has developed some semblance of a personality after basically being an immoral sociopath who has little or no idea of how to perceive emotions. It's plain to see that was a point of interest the writers wanted to iron out in Laura's character, she's antisocial and lacks a stable personality. Outside of claws and a healing factor there is nothing similar between wolverine and Daken. Different personalities, fighting skills, goals, ambitions, moral standings, dress codes and civilian attire. However there are tons of similarities between Laura and Logan, she acts pretty much just like a female version of wolverine without the experience and guidance. I like Laura but I hate when people trash Daken as a rip-off to build her up, when he is his "Biological Offspring" and she is a clone which for lack of a better word is a rip-off of the original being in which it was copied from. Why does the clone get more credibility for originality than the son, just doesn't make sense to me...Just saying...

@CrimsonAlchemist said:

@Postacrat: Well said buddy boy.

Thanks a lot bro, cool avatar!

#38 Posted by Hit_Monkey (872 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

@Morpheus_: Well put, that is exactly my view.

#39 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7689 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@CrimsonAlchemist said:

Wolverine can ever be?

What's your point?

Meaning you're trying to compare someone who's been around for barely 5 years to a character that's been a stable of the Marvel Universe for DECADES

#40 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32909 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jnr6Lil said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@CrimsonAlchemist said:

Wolverine can ever be?

What's your point?

Meaning you're trying to compare someone who's been around for barely 5 years to a character that's been a stable of the Marvel Universe for DECADES

What has that got to do with anything? If anything Wolverine should be more interesting as he's had years of character development but he's not.
#41 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7689 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@CrimsonAlchemist said:

Wolverine can ever be?

What's your point?

What has that got to do with anything? If anything Wolverine should be more interesting as he's had years of character development but he's not.

That's just your opinion, Wolverine generally speaking has been a constant favorite among comic book fans

#42 Posted by lady_toyano (162 posts) - - Show Bio

I love reading Daken! I became a huge fan after reading him during Normans Dark Avengers run, and have followed all his appearances since. I was super pumped about him having his own ongoing and enjoyed reading about his views and he will do to achieve them. I had recently started trying to get back into comics when I picked up Daken by happenstance and he totally blew my mind, and really branched me into reading more comics. The medium had truly grown since I was a little girl into something that mature readers could enjoy through the incorporation of adult themes and storytelling from the not so heroic side.

Everything was pretty swank up until that heat pill crud happened. I just didn't see the connection on how such a control and power hungry dude could seriously get addicted to them pills to the point that it crippled him. Like really total defamation of character there. I just don't see how in the world it stuck and became a whole arc. It jsut seemed so backwards and out of character for him. I almost drooped the book, but I just kept thinking it was part of some plan he had. Then I just got to the point where I just went eh, ill just put some black tape on this arc and archive it where the sun don't shine because after this we shall get back to his empire building and then boom.... CANCELLED.

Sure dude is a manipulative, scheming, and a skillful combatant anti-villain that I wouldn't want to be within a three mile radius of, but dude is majorly compelling and infamous enough as a character that you had to read up on just to see what shenanigans he is pursuing and how they turn out each time.

#43 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

screw gayken

#44 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind the idea of Daken, but I kind of wish they'd made him more different from Wolverine. We already have X-23, we don't need another claws character. I wish they'd instead focused him entirely on what made him unique, his pheromone-based mind control. Let him keep the rapid healing, but the claws at that point are stupid.

#45 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@x_29Using profanity along with that wordplay in a derogatory (and erroneous given Daken's preferences, which favor both men and women) manner does you no credit. A little more respect if you value your ability to post and wish to retain it.
#46 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonAlchemist: Except she has depth that makes up for it. To me.

#47 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_: just a joke, did not mean to offend. smh

#48 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

this

#49 Posted by stu (378 posts) - - Show Bio

i think daken is one of the best character marvel came up with in the last...i dont know,maybe 10 years! I really like how he as been written so far and cant wait to see whats next for him!

#50 Posted by stu (378 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil: haha if you think daken doesnt have a personality you havent read him. X-23 as the personality of a robot(i like her anyway). daken is a sociopath,self center maniac and seems to be able to adapt is personality to whoever is with. personaly i think its great!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.