Follow

Daken

Character » Daken appears in 1164 issues.

Daken is Wolverine's long lost son, torn from his mother's womb by the dark figure Romulus. Raised with a warped view on his father's "abandonment" and his mother's murder, Daken was left holding a grudge.

The End is Near

darkwolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By darkwolverine

There is one issue left to the Dark Wolverine saga. Therefore I decided to write this blog to talk about the wild ride. Daken became the very reason I got into reading comics because I happened to like his personality a lot and it was disappointing when the book got cancelled. I liked most of his story arches except for a couple of them including most of the heat drug, maily because I didn't feel like Daken was being himself. Also one big thing that bothers me about that story line was the way Moon Knight was depicted by having him invested investigating about the claws killer to at the end taking the word of agent Kiel of everything being taken care of without bothering to look if the situation was truly handled and then the fact that Daken of all people would fall in love with someone. The only part that I liked about the heat story arch besides the beginning when the drug was first introduced with an interesting point until it overstayed its welcome was the revelation of who the real claws killer was, which I still don't know how I didn't saw it coming. The main reason for which I was disappointed to find out about the cancellation is because some stories were never resolved. The one that comes to mind the most is the confrontation between Daken and Bucky to which I was really looking forward to seeing, now I hope that by some miracle marvel decides to show that fight in the pages of Bucky's title. I also would've liked to see more iterations between Daken and X-23 among other characters. Talking about X-23 made me realize that it was never stated what Daken ended up doing with Malcolm Colcord. I'm also not a big fan of Daken loosing his healing factor and the idea that he might die at the end of the series but we will find out soon. It also would have being fun to see a little about Daken's back story for instance when and how he got his tattoo. Any ways what did you guys liked about the series? Are you guys sad or relived that the series is ending? Is there anything you would have liked to see, including interactions with other characters Daken never met? What do you think caused the cancellation besides the low sales? and what do you think so far about the last story arch?

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By ClawFist

Wow, its been a hell of a ride. I was such a big fan of the Wolverine Family series of books. I was hoping eventually they would have a massive crossover between the three of them. Looks like my dreams of that have been shot, I can only hope X-23 and Daken eventually get another chance. Daken was great because he was snarky, confident, and absolutely exuding sexual energy lol it was great. X-23 was this lost girl, trying to find her way, and her soul, maybe a little too much FF love in her book but Its hard to be mad at it when they temporarily reunite her with the Enigma Force, and Jubilee's guest appearance were awesome. Wolvie is still going strong, his Back In Japan arc is turning out to be spectacular, but with Jason Aaron at the helm its no surprise, his stories for Wolverine have been superb. However Wolverine isn't being cancelled, so lets get back to Daken and X-23, two great books that I feel should have been backed more and given more time, they're going to be missed.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By lykopis

I was more excited about the series in the beginning - wonderful job but near the end? Meh. The whole drug addiction thing, and failed healing factor plus super-villian extraordinaire?

I liked the Runaways cameo, but I think more characters should have been brought in. Either way, I hope they do something with his character, maybe follow the story of how he tracked down his half-siblings and orchestrated their deaths by the hand of their father Wolverine. That's a huge story just to have die like that.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Static Shock

Moving this to the Daken forum. 

Enjoy. 

Dakens son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By Dakens son

I am sooo pissed with the way DISNEY ditched those two characters.It wasn't about sales and b.s. like that,disney didn't like the series and needed more money for new upcomming books so they forced marvel to end the titles.

Just imagine that according to monthly stats both Dark wolverine and x-23 comics were way up above other titles(such as thunderbolts,new avengers e.t.c.).

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lykopis

@Dakens son:

Well, to be honest, Daken and X-23 wouldn't exactly be Disney fare --but I don't think the House of Mouse have that much control over the powers that be over in Marvel. They were two books near the bottom - and chop, off they went. A

X-23 was sent over to Avenger's Academy to help prop up their sales. It worked on getting me over there, but I'm not happy about it.

As for Daken --- I'm going to miss him. So much potential - and they let him deteriorate to something I just cringe over.

darkwolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By darkwolverine

@lykopis said:

@Dakens son:

Well, to be honest, Daken and X-23 wouldn't exactly be Disney fare --but I don't think the House of Mouse have that much control over the powers that be over in Marvel. They were two books near the bottom - and chop, off they went. A

X-23 was sent over to Avenger's Academy to help prop up their sales. It worked on getting me over there, but I'm not happy about it.

As for Daken --- I'm going to miss him. So much potential - and they let him deteriorate to something I just cringe over.

X-23 did get go to Avenger's academy, which means that she will not be going to comic limbo for a while. I mean I just saw the preview for the last issue of Daken and it does not look good for him. I just hope he comes out of this in one piece so that he can at least have guest cameos elsewhere with a writer who actually knows how to do his character some justice.

darkwolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By darkwolverine

@lykopis said:

I was more excited about the series in the beginning - wonderful job but near the end? Meh. The whole drug addiction thing, and failed healing factor plus super-villian extraordinaire?

I liked the Runaways cameo, but I think more characters should have been brought in. Either way, I hope they do something with his character, maybe follow the story of how he tracked down his half-siblings and orchestrated their deaths by the hand of their father Wolverine. That's a huge story just to have die like that.

I really liked the begging of the series a lot, then Williams came along and did a great job with issue 9.1, but after that it got a bit annoying with the whole heat drug saga, hopefully William's will at least have Daken have a great ending or something.

Dakens son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dakens son

@lykopis said:

@Dakens son:

Wanna bet?!?!

Last summer there was the massive dismissal of old employees followed by Dark Wolverine, X-23 and other projects(Dr.Doom's new series,a tie in with marvels monsters and a roumored mini series including daken-wolverine-x 23 just to name a few) that have been rejected

After all that,Disney revealed the employement of new personel(previously on DC) to work on their comics,I don't think that was a coincidence

stats showed Daken and x-23 among the top 10 books in the rank,not near the bottom,most of Wolverine fans were buying both his kids issues(well...kid and his clone!!!).

Mickey's house has complete control upon M.C.,check it and you'll see.

You are right though ,there was soooooo much potential and expectations specially after issue 9.1

Dakens son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dakens son

@darkwolverine said:

@lykopis said:

@Dakens son:

X-23 did get go to Avenger's academy, which means that she will not be going to comic limbo for a while. I mean I just saw the preview for the last issue of Daken and it does not look good for him. I just hope he comes out of this in one piece so that he can at least have guest cameos elsewhere with a writer who actually knows how to his character some justice.

True!

Daken seems to go down,there's verry little hope that he'll be part of a group or something maybe hey will keep him somewhere hidden like they did with Romulus.

DAMMIT and I was sooo fond of his new costume!

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lykopis

@Dakens son said:

@darkwolverine said:

@lykopis said:

@Dakens son:

X-23 did get go to Avenger's academy, which means that she will not be going to comic limbo for a while. I mean I just saw the preview for the last issue of Daken and it does not look good for him. I just hope he comes out of this in one piece so that he can at least have guest cameos elsewhere with a writer who actually knows how to his character some justice.

True!

Daken seems to go down,there's verry little hope that he'll be part of a group or something maybe hey will keep him somewhere hidden like they did with Romulus.

Me too (the costume) and yes ---- a little worried about what's going to happen to him. It would make NO sense to kill him off....that would be...just.....O_O

@Dakens son said:

Last summer there was the massive dismissal of old employees followed by Dark Wolverine, X-23 and other projects(Dr.Doom's new series,a tie in with marvels monsters and a roumored mini series including daken-wolverine-x 23 just to name a few) that have been rejected

After all that,Disney revealed the employement of new personel(previously on DC) to work on their comics,I don't think that was a coincidence

stats showed Daken and x-23 among the top 10 books in the rank,not near the bottom,most of Wolverine fans were buying both his kids issues(well...kid and his clone!!!).

You are right though ,there was soooooo much potential and expectations specially after issue 9.1

Now that's interesting.

Dakens son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dakens son

@lykopis said:

@Dakens son said:

@darkwolverine said:

@lykopis said:

@Dakens son:

True!

Me too (the costume) and yes ---- a little worried about what's going to happen to him. It would make NO sense to kill him off....that would be...just.....O_O

@Dakens son said:

Now that's interesting.

There were so many interesting things about Dakens character,so many aspects to build new arcs.Killing him would be just a pain in the neck.

And I'm gonna say it again,his yellow brown costume,tats and mohawk ARE AWESOME!

darkwolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By darkwolverine

This just occurred to me. Daken could be part of the new dark avengers title that is coming out. I mean he used to be part of the original team, plus he would fit perfectly with most of the current members as they are psychos.

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By King Quisling

Waste of cash after issue #14

darkwolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By darkwolverine

@King Quisling said:

Waste of cash after issue #14

I would have to agree with you for the most part, but at least the last story arch finally got Daken right and for what is worth I enjoyed the way it ended.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.