Follow

Daken

Character » Daken appears in 1158 issues.

Daken is Wolverine's long lost son, torn from his mother's womb by the dark figure Romulus. Raised with a warped view on his father's "abandonment" and his mother's murder, Daken was left holding a grudge.

Does anyone actually like or support what happened to Daken?

• 64 results
    X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By X35

About 5 years ago, Marvel introduced and began establishing a new character to their universe called Daken. He was the son of Wolverine. It's not a fantastic concept and he was far from the greatest character, but they actually invested a lot of time and effort in making the character relevant and prominent - even put him on the flag-ship title at the center of one of their biggest events. Then, a few months ago, when his solo book was cancelled due to low sales, Marvel seemed to have made the decision that since their book couldn't sell well enough the best thing to do would be to kill off the character in his final issue.

It is just a great big bitch-slap to the face of anyone who actually wound up following the character on account of the enormous push Marvel gave the character. And their prize for doing what Marvel wanted them to do by following the character? A sloppy and unimaginative death that means very little and was swept under the rug quickly as if Daken never existed.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Project_Worm

No doubt there are people who support it there were always a ton of people who hated Daken for the simple fact that they didn't actually know who he was, and thought he was just a wannabe Wolverine. Not me however, I always thought His character had tons of potential. It's just the kind of thing Marvel does... They hype characters and then drop em' off at an abyss *cough* Sentry *cough*

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Onemoreposter

No body friend. He'll be back.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Gambit1024

He died?

Huh. Shows how much I care.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By X35

My point is more that they just killed off a character they gave such a prominent push to really abruptly just because he didn't sell rather than anything else.

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
    Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By X35

@Donovan Montgomery:

From Wikipedia

After months of trying, he failed at becoming the head of the underworld in Los Angeles, and he was defeated using the powerful drug Heat, that gave him hallucinations and burned down his healing factor. Dying, he returned to New York to "go out with a bang", drugging his father and taking him to watch his "show". He bombed the headquarters of the Avengers and the Fantastic Four, installed bombs around the city and drugged and easily subdued Mister Fantastic. After a long battle with the heroes of the city, and without a healing factor he started to die. Daken asked for his father, hugged him and asked him to forgive him. But before Logan could say anything, Daken said he was actually sorry for putting a bomb at the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning and immolated himself with a bomb, leaving no body to bury. Wolverine rushed to his school to find nothing but a little doll of him, realizing that Daken's plan was just to leave him with nothing.
    hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hectorsquall

That was just... lame :(

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

Daken who?

clemj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By clemj

how can anyone support Daken?

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
    Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@X35: wow...why hasn't a real villain ever been able to do that stuff???

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By X35

@clemj said:

how can anyone support Daken?

This is less about Daken really and more about the circumstance about how quick Marvel were to wash their hands of something because it fared below expectations.

Like... look at it as if... when Ms. Marvel's new series fails, imagine if they then decided like Daken to just kill her off for no reason except she couldn't sell in the final issue of her series. Regardless of how many stories they left unresolved and the death had zero impact except to punctuate the failure of her book. Or Bucky... he's a character who's had a similar massive push and has recently taken up his own book. If Winter Soldier's sale begin to dwindle, and Marvel cancelled the book ending with Bucky dying... it's just a huge insult to people who were willing to follow these characters which is exactly what Marvel wanted us to do by giving them these pushes. If i make sense... i've been sipping cider most the night so i'm probably a bit incoherent. :)

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I never liked Daken, though he was more interesting than his dad. That said, that's pathetic. I read the wikipedia article, and that is just so stupid.  

Marvel just don't care about their characters any more. The worst part is that the people who actually followed Daken will just keep buying crap after crap and Marvel won't even realise they've done something wrong. 

NyxEquitis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By NyxEquitis

Pathetic as it may be, I never liked him at all. IMO a bad use of a character. Not gonna shed any tears at his death.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Deranged Midget

@X35: I saw it as a waste of a decent character and a sad attempt to get any sales on the final issue. My bet is that he'll be back.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By X35

You've got to remember there was still unresolved stories for Daken.........like prominent stuff too......so killing him off seems to have litch just been a way to punctuate his series and an excuse for marvel to get rid of something that didn't hit their expectations in sales.......

There was plenty of things that could've been done with daken that didn't require him having a solo book but... as the norm marvel doesn't care, hates their readers, etc.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#17  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Marvel love to kill there characters 

Daken - Dead 
    Toxin -Dead 
    Sabra - Dead 
    Crimson Dynamo - Dead 
    Echo - Dead 
    Red Guardian - Dead 
    Eric O'Grady - Dead 

all in the last few months 

Reality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Reality

He's not dead.

@spiderbat87 said:

Marvel love to kill there characters Daken - Dead Toxin -Dead Sabra - Dead Crimson Dynamo - Dead Echo - Dead Red Guardian - Dead Eric O'Grady - Dead all in the last few months

Sabra's not dead.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By X35

@Reality said:

He's not dead.

@spiderbat87 said:

Marvel love to kill there characters Daken - Dead Toxin -Dead Sabra - Dead Crimson Dynamo - Dead Echo - Dead Red Guardian - Dead Eric O'Grady - Dead all in the last few months

Sabra's not dead.

I know the writer says so but there's nothing in the actual comic to suggest otherwise. Imagine if the writer had died shortly after he wrote that story, nobody would've ever known she survived from a "glancing hit".

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Reality said:

He's not dead.

@spiderbat87 said:

Sabra's not dead.

she just got shot in the head didnt she?
    X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By X35

@spiderbat87 said:

Daken - Dead
    Toxin -Dead
    Sabra - Dead
    Crimson Dynamo - Dead
    Echo - Dead
    Red Guardian - Dead
    Eric O'Grady - Dead

Don't forget Madame Masque who had the worst death of them all in stupid Moon Knight >.<

Reality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Reality

@spiderbat87 said:

Not in the head, but the writer said she was alive.

@X35 said:

I know the writer says so but there's nothing in the actual comic to suggest otherwise.

I'm sorry, but that's not a valid argument. Many things are written so they look like something else. It happens all the time.

Imagine if the writer had died shortly after he wrote that story, nobody would've ever known she survived from a "glancing hit".

I'm not sure how that's relevant at all?

Reality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Reality

And I should clarify, when I said "He's not dead" I meant that he's going to be coming back eventually.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @X35 said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Daken - Dead
    Toxin -Dead
    Sabra - Dead
    Crimson Dynamo - Dead
    Echo - Dead
    Red Guardian - Dead
    Eric O'Grady - Dead

Don't forget Madame Masque who had the worst death of them all in stupid Moon Knight >.<

Yea and I'm sure there are a few others I'm missing, some one should do a eulogy for all the characters Marvel deems unimportant and kill's off for on reason 
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By ReVamp

@X35 said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Daken - Dead
    Toxin -Dead
    Sabra - Dead
    Crimson Dynamo - Dead
    Echo - Dead
    Red Guardian - Dead
    Eric O'Grady - Dead

She's dead :O Bendis -__-

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By X35

@ReVamp: Crappest death of them all. Moon Knight pushed her over and she hit her head off a fire hydrant.

And then Moon Knight spent the next issue bragging about how he killed her to her father.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@X35: pats Marvel set out to make "cooler" "More Modern' versions of characters in first decade of the 2000s, it is still a success for them, they squeezed a few extra bucks outta people

Makes a bring back Madame Masque shirt <3

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ReVamp

@X35 said:

@ReVamp: Crappest death of them all. Moon Knight pushed her over and she hit her head off a fire hydrant.

And then Moon Knight spent the next issue bragging about how he killed her to her father.

That's fcking ridiculous. I mean, that really... Sigh.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @ReVamp said:

@X35 said:

hay X post the scan to show just how stupid it was 
    X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By X35

@Reality said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Not in the head, but the writer said she was alive.

@X35 said:

I know the writer says so but there's nothing in the actual comic to suggest otherwise.

I'm sorry, but that's not a valid argument. Many things are written so they look like something else. It happens all the time.

Imagine if the writer had died shortly after he wrote that story, nobody would've ever known she survived from a "glancing hit".

I'm not sure how that's relevant at all?

Of course it's relevant. If something's not in a book, then there's no concrete evidence to suggest otherwise. Chris Claremont said loads of his interpretations and ideas about X-Men characters that wound up not being canon at all. Plenty of people clearly interpreted Sabra being shot as a death, there's nothing whatsoever in the comic to suggest it's anything but, and it wasn't until the day after that the writer came out and said "oh no, it was just a glancing hit, she's ok".

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ReVamp

@X35 said:

Of course it's relevant. If something's not in a book, then there's no concrete evidence to suggest otherwise. Chris Claremont said loads of his interpretations and ideas about X-Men characters that wound up not being canon at all. Plenty of people clearly interpreted Sabra being shot as a death, there's nothing whatsoever in the comic to suggest it's anything but, and it wasn't until the day after that the writer came out and said "oh no, it was just a glancing hit, she's ok".

But the story is ongoing, is it not? If not then you would be right, I guess, but they could bring her back just as easily without an explanation, much like it was done with Sabretooth.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By X35

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@X35 said:

hay X post the scan to show just how stupid it was
    Madame Masque's Death (Alex Maleev, Moon Knight #11)
    Madame Masque's Death (Alex Maleev, Moon Knight #11)
    Moon Knight #11
    Moon Knight #11

The only thing missing is the next panel where Moon Knight adds insult to injury to all the Madame Masque fans by saying "Whoa, there's nothing wrong with her face, she's crazier than me!"

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By X35

@ReVamp said:

@X35 said:

But the story is ongoing, is it not? If not then you would be right, I guess, but they could bring her back just as easily without an explanation, much like it was done with Sabretooth.

but that story is written by another writer as opposed to Slott who's writing the main story......and she's pretty minor to the story

Walker696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Walker696

Screw Daken they killed off Toxin?????? I kinda liked Daken and yes I agree with the main point of the article Marvel has been introducing characters and building them up the past few years just to either kill them off or forget about them (Sentry and Blue Marvel are the mains ones so far). And my friends wonder why I stop buying and just started downloading comics. Who knows they may kill off the Avengers again if their sales drop.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ReVamp

@X35 said:

@ReVamp said:

@X35 said:

but that story is written by another writer as opposed to Slott who's writing the main story......and she's pretty minor to the story

Meh, just being written by different people doesn't mean much. But I guess I should read it before I go on any further.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @ReVamp said:

@X35 said:

@ReVamp said:

@X35 said:

Meh, just being written by different people doesn't mean much. But I guess I should read it before I go on any further.

I'm pretty sure the issue she was in was just a one shot and Slott or anybody else will not be carrying it on 
    FinnVarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FinnVarra

Man I wasn't even aware that he had died. I just don't understand why Marvel invests so much time in a character only to throw them away on a whim. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, they do this all the time.

Just ask this guy.
    Just ask this guy.
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    Daken is great.  

I don't mind his "death" all that much honestly. It was appropriately vague and there is more than sufficient an opening for any writer that wishes to bring him back at any given time. The only thing I hope for is that, whoever eventually does, treats him well. Aka, Remender, hands off.
    Avatar image for the_peter_cosmic
    The_Peter_Cosmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Peter_Cosmic

@Walker696 said:

Screw Daken they killed off Toxin?????? I kinda liked Daken and yes I agree with the main point of the article Marvel has been introducing characters and building them up the past few years just to either kill them off or forget about them (Sentry and Blue Marvel are the mains ones so far). And my friends wonder why I stop buying and just started downloading comics. Who knows they may kill off the Avengers again if their sales drop.

They killed Toxin's host (off panel and mentioned casually so could still be alive), the Toxin symbiote is being featured prominently in Venom's ongoing.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @The_Peter_Cosmic said:

@Walker696 said:

They killed Toxin's host (off panel and mentioned casually so could still be alive), the Toxin symbiote is being featured prominently in Venom's ongoing.

It was Pat the made the character interesting, without him it's not Toxin 
    hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By hectorsquall

@spiderbat87: Agreed. The dynamic between Pat and the Toxin symbiote was really interesting and had a lot of potential but it was like Marvel just forgot about the character. And now that they could have done something great with him, the only thing Remender did was that:

"Beaten to death in a gutter." -Rick Remender on the fate of Pat Mulligan, Toxin's former host. "It took place off panel, but Blackheart killed him to acquire the symbiote."
    "I think everybody responded well to Anti-Venom, and it was cool, but a lot of the symbiotes have become too sympathetic. We wanted to give Venom his own Venom. You've got Carnage out there, but we wanted one more. Eddie Brock as Toxin is a revenge-fueled nightmare monster." -Rick Remender

Seriously, that's really infuriating. He used Pat like cannon fodder only to use the Toxin symbiote for making a new bad guy! Even if they didn't show his death, I don't think that there's a lot of writers who care enough to resurrect him.

That's really a waste of a great character and it's a perfect example of what's wrong with Marvel. They mishandle great characters with a lot of potential and kill them off later for shock value, what a shame! :(

Avatar image for the_peter_cosmic
    The_Peter_Cosmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By The_Peter_Cosmic

@spiderbat87: I actually found the symbiote's childishness curiosity and the desire validation from Pat to be the most interesting aspect of the character. In the Toxin series anyway. Regardless, the symbiote hasn't shown any aspects of that personality so far so I'm, as of yet, disappointed as well.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @X35 said:

From Wikipedia

After months of trying, he failed at becoming the head of the underworld in Los Angeles, and he was defeated using the powerful drug Heat, that gave him hallucinations and burned down his healing factor. Dying, he returned to New York to "go out with a bang", drugging his father and taking him to watch his "show". He bombed the headquarters of the Avengers and the Fantastic Four, installed bombs around the city and drugged and easily subdued Mister Fantastic. After a long battle with the heroes of the city, and without a healing factor he started to die. Daken asked for his father, hugged him and asked him to forgive him. But before Logan could say anything, Daken said he was actually sorry for putting a bomb at the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning and immolated himself with a bomb, leaving no body to bury. Wolverine rushed to his school to find nothing but a little doll of him, realizing that Daken's plan was just to leave him with nothing.
    From the outside looking in.....that sounds pretty f'n badass, but thats me.
    evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By evilvegeta74

Daken better return!

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By evilvegeta74

Yeah, Daken got screwed bad, he even had an action figure or two! I liked the guy and considered him a wild card, I'm gonna put him in my Kidpool Kills the Marvel Universe as more than just a reference!

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By joshmightbe

It's Marvel, death is at worst a minor inconvenience.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jrock85

He'll be back.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#48  Edited By TDK_1997

I never liked Daken that much but in the Dark Avengers he was my favorite member with Bullseye.He was a character that wasn't that interesting to me till last year and I don't believe that he will stay dead much.5 months max.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By HellionVulcan

@X35 said:

My point is more that they just killed off a character they gave such a prominent push to really abruptly just because he didn't sell rather than anything else.

well the whole drug addiction thing made him not likeable any more to me its marvels own fault they screwed daken up but i hope he never died thou as theres still so much they could do with him .

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#50  Edited By HellionVulcan

@FinnVarra said:

Man I wasn't even aware that he had died. I just don't understand why Marvel invests so much time in a character only to throw them away on a whim. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, they do this all the time.

Just ask this guy.
    Just ask this guy.

to be fair Ares stayed dead like a week before coming back for like 5 issues in chaos war before being chained up & never seen or heard from again .

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.