Why has Cyclops lost his mind recently?

#1 Posted by Overseer (404 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a more old school X-Men fan. I haven't really read many X-Books that take place post-Civil War, but from what I have read of Joss Whedon's run of the X-Men and other such X-Books of the time period (if any), the old team leader Cyclops was actually at his most interesting (to me), where he seemed as a stressed, war torn, old hand of a soldier closer to a more cynical Captain America who needed to be reminded that he maybe going a little too far at times. But as of Avengers vs. X-Men, or X-Men vs. Avengers if you prefer, Cyclops seems to have utterly LOST HIS GOD DAMNED MIND! He's working with Magneto, denouncing Xavier's dream as wrong and going nutso with the agenda to protect Mutants even though that mentality landed him against his friends and allies and makes him look like Magneto Jr. akin to an image from Fear Itself where Cyclops wearing Magneto's costume (though that image seemed to be more of a cautionary vision warning Cyclops of who he was becoming).

Will someone please fill me in on the important character developments between "War General" Cyclops and "Jerkass Terrorist Evil Guy" Cyclops? And maybe reassure me that this is temporary? (If you like this change that's fine, I'm just saying my POV).

#2 Posted by danhimself (22679 posts) - - Show Bio

I think if you asked most writers they would say that this all stems back to Cyclops being merged with Apocalypse...then add the Decimation to that and Cyclops being put in charge of a dying race...he's had a lot of stuff on his shoulders so it's a given that he would crack even a little

#3 Posted by Avenger85 (1987 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: yeah this. It's the merging with Apocalypse that caused stuff to start going "off the reservation" for Scott. Basically that one event turned his entire life upside-down.

Hopefully the younger version of him will avoid this happening when he goes back to his own time.

#4 Posted by Toa_Manaia (128 posts) - - Show Bio

I completely agree with everything said by Overseer, danhimself and Avenger85 here, I've always liked Cyclops, a leader who carries every decision on his shoulders (good and bad), he couldn't lighten up, the world was too full of threats to even rest for one second. It was only inevitable that he would slip and fall in his path to protect the mutant race. After all that he has been through, a lesser man would have given up years ago. I hope that he will find some sort of redemption...

#5 Posted by JakeN7 (12788 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

I think if you asked most writers they would say that this all stems back to Cyclops being merged with Apocalypse...then add the Decimation to that and Cyclops being put in charge of a dying race...he's had a lot of stuff on his shoulders so it's a given that he would crack even a little

@Avenger85 said:

@danhimself: yeah this. It's the merging with Apocalypse that caused stuff to start going "off the reservation" for Scott. Basically that one event turned his entire life upside-down.

Hopefully the younger version of him will avoid this happening when he goes back to his own time.

Damn. The merging with Apocalypse was a long-ass time ago. I would say the Pheonix-Force possession would be the straw that broke the camel's back, but I have no idea when his decline actually started. The merging with Apocalypse is probably a safe bet though.

#6 Posted by Markus_Langbourn (387 posts) - - Show Bio

Drugs, lots of drugs. 

Not for Cyke though, the writers are all high on meth when they produce this garbage.

#7 Posted by Avenger85 (1987 posts) - - Show Bio

@Markus_Langbourn: Yeah, especially the way the writes tried to make him look like a total villain in AvX.

And a redemption and happy ending is what the guy deserves. He has one of the worst childhoods among comic book characters ( along with Spiderman & Jessica Jones ), so it's kind of surprising to see that he still is able to keep his sanity. That's why I consider him to be the Batman of Marvel.

#8 Posted by Markus_Langbourn (387 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenger85: He's not a bad guy. Like, he makes dumb decisions and hurts people unintentionally, but he's not a bad person. Unfortunately, Marvel have turned him into one. They've stripped all the meaning and subtlety from the character. Tis sad.
#9 Posted by Avenger85 (1987 posts) - - Show Bio

@JakeN7: Yeah that event resulted in him being tortured by having Apocalypse in his head for 6 months, while the X-Men simply abandoned him & didn't want to even look for him. Even his wife told Cable ( who was the only person to believe that Cyke was still alive) to not bother with it. And when they finally found him & freed him from Apocalypse's possession, he still retained a part of Apocalypse's personality in his mind.

So the Current Cyclops is the result of that that event. Indeed being possessed by the Phoenix was the straw that broke the Camel's back. But even then he handled the Phoenix better than the rest of the hosts IMHO.

#10 Posted by Avenger85 (1987 posts) - - Show Bio

@Markus_Langbourn: Yeah of course he is not a bad guy. And I think Bendis has seen the readers' reaction to the whole AvX fiasco, and is now putting Cyclops back on the road to redemption, at least that's what it appears from his UXM & ANXM stories...

#11 Edited by Kain (197 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenger85 said:

Impossible. They return to their time and Xavier mind wipes them all so they don't change history.

Oh, and he didn't so much denounce Xavier's dream as he still believes in it. It's the passive methods he doesn't agree with anymore.

#12 Posted by Avenger85 (1987 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kain: TBH I dont think that happens. They'll want the ANXM title to continue, and there are already 4 major X-Books in the 616 timeline ( UXM, WTXM & the 2 X-Force). So I think when they will go back to their own timeline, Jean will not allow the professor to mindwipe them. THen we'll see an alternate timeline with these O5 in their own book.

Just my 2 cents...

#13 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel is simply no longer capable of creating tension or friction without making one or both sides of a conflict looking like a moron. The storylines and execution are so pathetic its almost impossible to take a side without extensive reservations. I understand writers have a story they want to tell, but is it so hard to make it fit without wholesale personality and morality changes on the fly to make it work?

Civil War - Iron Man and Cap, both morons

Schism - Cyclops and Wolverine, both morons

AvX - Cyclops and Cap, both morons

#14 Posted by Overseer (404 posts) - - Show Bio

@Brazen_Intellect:

Civil War-I think Civil War was a good idea, mired by the moronic writting of Mark Miller. Cap and Iron Man being idiots is what would have made that story work, BUT the story must be told to SHOW that both sides where being idiots! I think the main problem with Civil War is that most western writers aren't used to writting Grey-and-Grey morality. I think Ultimate Alliance 2 was the idea done right (albitet a bit more tweeking would have helped).

Schism-I haven't read i Schism so, I'll take your word for it.

AvX-Ok this one... there is NO DENYING that this was a dumb idea from the beginning! The only way this could be done was if it were tongue (the entire goddamned thing!) in cheek. Cyclops and Captain America were both the epidome of MORONS!

#15 Posted by havoc1201 (521 posts) - - Show Bio

The Avengers are the ones that lost their mind thinking they run everything on planet earth Cyclops was trying to save his Species, which he did by the way, So NO he has not lost his mind

#16 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3872 posts) - - Show Bio

@Brazen_Intellect said:

Marvel is simply no longer capable of creating tension or friction without making one or both sides of a conflict looking like a moron. The storylines and execution are so pathetic its almost impossible to take a side without extensive reservations. I understand writers have a story they want to tell, but is it so hard to make it fit without wholesale personality and morality changes on the fly to make it work?

Civil War - Iron Man and Cap, both morons

Schism - Cyclops and Wolverine, both morons

AvX - Cyclops and Cap, both morons

morons we love....lol

@Overseer:

magneto jr....lol and marvel made scott and logan the new charles and erik....weird i always thought scott would be the next charles....there ruining scott's character....i hope someone helps him

it happened alright--yikes

although i always thought he went crazy since:

lol yeah sleeping with emma would drive anyman crazy
#17 Edited by Avenger85 (1987 posts) - - Show Bio

But let's not delude ourselves here. After ALL the tragedies that the guy went through in his entire life, Yes. He is not insane, but right now, he sure as hell is not very mentally stable. Him finally snapping was expected.

Even the Batman will snap at some point lol. But I'm sure the Cyclops of Zurr-Enh-Arrh is gonna fix things here...

#18 Posted by Toa_Manaia (128 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops has had the worst of childhoods and a completely screwed teenage and adult life, I honestly don't know  how he gets out of bed in the morning. He has been party to Mutants fighting for rights, Mutants victim to racism and segregation, He has seen futures where Mutants are completely wiped out, He has seen most of the mutant race become depowered (Scarlet Witch ohhhh goodddd WTF), he has seen the possible future of the mutant race all hedged on one person (Hope) and then fought with Wolvie for control over mutant destiny.... Then the Phoenix Force turns up and, gives Scott a chance (misguided perhaps) to change EVERYTHING, I mean EVERYTHING, Scott leapt at this chance and became for a short time a close to a force of nature with little inhibition. 
What he did was what he did but in the context of Cykes past, I don't blame him. 

I personally believe if Cap and the Avengers didn't invade the ONE place where mutant kind were tolerated then you know maybe Scotts influence from the Phoenix would of been different 

#19 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@Overseer: I am old school as well. Scott is broken honestly, I don't really see him being "fixed" per se anytime within the next 5 years minimum if at all.

Like Avenger said "The Twelve" is what started the nose dive he's been with it in culminating with AvX a while ago.He was merged with good ole "en sabah" trying to save X-Man (although Davis has admitted to trying outright kill him). Then he cheated on Jean with a local stripper, Jean dies as the phoenix (for the first time) but this is second time his love was killed a few feet from him. Then he shacks up with a local stripper and sows some oats post-widower. Then SW goes no more mutants and suddenly he is the mutant savior (right) and the while teaming up with the person who killed Jean (ret-con or not), becoming separatist and borderline flat scan hating racist. He becomes the avatar for the phoenix plot vehicle and did some bad stuff. Poor writing and bad decisions are roosting back home at Summers-ville. He was my favorite X-Men, someone you could look up to but he kinda just became the model for what not to do in a mutant apocalypse (no pun intended).

#20 Edited by Avenger85 (1987 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis: TBH man, he wasn't the one who started the affair. He actually went Celibate until his mind was OK, but the local stripper didn't let him, she started it. And even then he didn't cheat with her, while Jean didn't attempt to fix his mind after the Apocalypse debacle. All that the professor & Jean said were " don't worry, shit happens". Oh I remember reading that apart from Cable, the entire X-Men cast were CELEBRATING right after Scott's apparent death. No one even bothered to look for the poor guy.

Whereas when Saint Jean died after murdering billions when possessed by the Phoenix, the entire team was crying a river for her. There was a whole damn storyline based on her dying and coming back lol.

But I do see him being fixed. The O5, and especially the Zurr-Enh-Arrh version of Cyclops are gonna be the ones to do it. Hell, that's the EXACT reason for them being summoned and having their own book these days...

#21 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenger85: Two things. 1, When did "Saint" Jean murder anyone especially billions of people? 2. I grasp the Zurr-Enh-Arrh concept from Batman but I don't see how it applies to (I assume you mean) young scott...clarify.

#22 Edited by Avenger85 (1987 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis: "Saint" Jean is just me being sarcastic, regarding how the people at the JGS are treating young Jean. And she did murder billions while she was the Dark Phoenix.

And the Zurr-enh-arrh is a joke regarding Cyke being the Batman of Marvel, having a backup plan for everything, as he put all that stuff in his lockbox for the younger version to find, in-case everything went downhill, and his younger version is of the mindset to fix everything etc. lol.

#23 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenger85: AHHH! Got it, thanks. There was loss in translation when I read it. Thanks.

#24 Posted by Avenger85 (1987 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis: np lol

#25 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Scott made some safety deposit box in case some 'younger self' suddenly came from the past. Honestly, people keep momentos and important things in safety deposit boxes. My family, for instance, when I was growing up kept Passports, pictures, death certificates, marriage certificates, and some jewelry (grandmother's locket and wedding ring from WW2, for example) and the like in safety deposit boxes.

To say it was all a plan in case a young scott came from the past is stretching it a bit, IMO.

As far as Jean is concerned-- remember, she was a best friend to many of the X-Men. So, her coming back is like seeing an old friend who is dead (literally or figeratively in case of the Phoenix). Seeing a young Scott is seeing a younger Version of a friend who has gone down the wrong path. You appreciate seeing the person, but it brings up all the negative emotions of the current version.

It seems pretty cut and dry to me from an outside standpoint. And basic psychological one.

#26 Posted by boob (366 posts) - - Show Bio

How saine would you be? As a kid you think your whole family dies. Then years latter he mets the Professor, and what happens welll... the man you consider a father figure dies, only to come back some time latter and says basiclly "I only trusted Jean to know that I was really alive." Years go by and the love of his life goes bad, blows up a planet and a spaceship, and trys to kill you and friends, then kills herself. Years go by finds out that love of life did not die was just a force pretending to her. Abandens family to be with Jean only to realise he needs to be with his wife and kid but they are m.i.a. Later on finds out the the reason why you marride your wife and had a babby was because of a mad man. Then sees wife go to the dark side and trys to kill your son, then trys to kill herself and Jean. Latter on another man kidnaps your son and enjects him with a deadly virus with no cure. So a lady pops up and says don't worry..n.by-by babby Nate!!! Years later meets his son who is a senior citezin, and his psyco clon. Then finds out his cloned son created a deadly virus as a f-you dad!!! Then one of your friends kills himself inorder to stop your crazy son's virus. Years go by your brother dies, and your absorbed into the man crazy man who tried to kill your son. Your finally free, and no one seems to care. Your wife dies. Then you find out your seruget father did some bad things (Gabriel and Danger). HoM, and many of the children you were suposed to protect gets blown up, or shot. Then your real father is killed by your messed up brother. Your dead wife comes back, then the next day she dies again. Scisum happens, then AvX. Oh and dont forget you have two children from alturnet realities, and Casandra Cain. I say Scott's life from the Shiar taking your parents was when he started to go down hill. But the cracks started to show when Nathen was taken from him as a babby. And slowly grew from there.

#27 Posted by 84taskmaster84 (50 posts) - - Show Bio

ok I like the direction scott is going because I think not blaming jean for killing a planet or scarlet witch for the mass genetic tampering of millions then blaming scott for AvX is kinda a double standard I dont think he is crazy he hasnt sunk a nuclear sub then raised it and rearmed the nukes I think he is just feed up with doing the right think and haveing to stand by and watch the genocide of his people once a species gets just nuked and genetically nutered down to less than 200 hundred people I say its time to take the kid gloves off and start fighting back and then while trying to save his people he is once again attacked at his home by captain america and what 20 other avengers who clearly didnt come in the name of peace I think in this era cyclops is neede just as much as logans school untill I see him do some really evil stuff im on scoots team all day

#28 Posted by Avenger85 (1987 posts) - - Show Bio

@boob: HAHAHAHA yeah.

IMHO the better question to ask is, why the hell has Scott NOT gone completely Batshit insane yet ?

#29 Posted by TreeOfLife (42 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess there are only so many stories that can be told with one character in a certain way.

#30 Posted by royers13 (46 posts) - - Show Bio

All I have to say about Cyclops is go ahead and break him. Of any character portrayed he is one that has always been shown to pop back and be there when the world needs him. He's a BAMF that way. Yeah, I said BAMF, Whats up!

#31 Posted by Flopsop200 (171 posts) - - Show Bio

@boob said:

How saine would you be? As a kid you think your whole family dies. Then years latter he mets the Professor, and what happens welll... the man you consider a father figure dies, only to come back some time latter and says basiclly "I only trusted Jean to know that I was really alive." Years go by and the love of his life goes bad, blows up a planet and a spaceship, and trys to kill you and friends, then kills herself. Years go by finds out that love of life did not die was just a force pretending to her. Abandens family to be with Jean only to realise he needs to be with his wife and kid but they are m.i.a. Later on finds out the the reason why you marride your wife and had a babby was because of a mad man. Then sees wife go to the dark side and trys to kill your son, then trys to kill herself and Jean. Latter on another man kidnaps your son and enjects him with a deadly virus with no cure. So a lady pops up and says don't worry..n.by-by babby Nate!!! Years later meets his son who is a senior citezin, and his psyco clon. Then finds out his cloned son created a deadly virus as a f-you dad!!! Then one of your friends kills himself inorder to stop your crazy son's virus. Years go by your brother dies, and your absorbed into the man crazy man who tried to kill your son. Your finally free, and no one seems to care. Your wife dies. Then you find out your seruget father did some bad things (Gabriel and Danger). HoM, and many of the children you were suposed to protect gets blown up, or shot. Then your real father is killed by your messed up brother. Your dead wife comes back, then the next day she dies again. Scisum happens, then AvX. Oh and dont forget you have two children from alturnet realities, and Casandra Cain. I say Scott's life from the Shiar taking your parents was when he started to go down hill. But the cracks started to show when Nathen was taken from him as a babby. And slowly grew from there.

this^

Also I don't think he is crazy at all but rather fed up with political BS. It's called character development. Not everyone is going to be a fan, but it's better than playing the same old tune for 50 years.

#32 Edited by God_Spawn (38227 posts) - - Show Bio

Also I don't think he is crazy at all but rather fed up with political BS. It's called character development. Not everyone is going to be a fan, but it's better than playing the same old tune for 50 years.

I can agree with this. I haven't seen him insane at all. Just tired of what he was used to doing and doing for so long not working. It's not necessarily the best tactic, but in Scott's mind is definitely better than sitting on his hands.

Moderator Online
#33 Posted by Deranged Midget (17820 posts) - - Show Bio

I can agree with this. I haven't seen him insane at all. Just tired of what he was used to doing and doing for so long not working. It's not necessarily the best tactic, but in Scott's mind is definitely better than sitting on his hands.

Yeah, it's something I guess I can see being reasonable in his case. He's trying to be more, shall we say... productive?

#34 Posted by God_Spawn (38227 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: Pretty much. I'd rather he and Logan get over their differences and things go back to how they were, but at this point it's different for Cyclops' character. But he hasn't gone full Magneto at least. He's straight up stated he's training people to fight, but he hasn't gone cold blooded murder on people yet. He's had plenty of chances to kill soldiers and humans alike now, but hasn't.

Moderator Online
#35 Edited by Deranged Midget (17820 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: Pretty much. I'd rather he and Logan get over their differences and things go back to how they were, but at this point it's different for Cyclops' character. But he hasn't gone full Magneto at least. He's straight up stated he's training people to fight, but he hasn't gone cold blooded murder on people yet. He's had plenty of chances to kill soldiers and humans alike now, but hasn't.

I have a feeling Scott might eventually snap out of whatever state he's in, reconcile with Logan and most importantly Hank and try to bring things back to the way they were. I have a feeling Erik is going to play a far larger part in this later on though, perhaps he's pretending that his power has weakened to give the illusion that he is actually standing under Scott's influence and leadership?

#36 Posted by God_Spawn (38227 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

I have a feeling Scott might eventually snap out of whatever state he's in, reconcile with Logan and most importantly Hank and try to bring things back to the way they were. I have a feeling Erik is going to play a far larger part in this later on though, perhaps he's pretending that his power has weakened to give the illusion that he is actually standing under Scott's influence and leadership?

Eventually stuff will. And Mags and Cyke are supposed to fight in issue 8. We shall see. I don't think Erik is pretending. He did hurt himself just by flinging rods at some sentinels.

Moderator Online
#37 Posted by Dernman (15428 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss the real Cyclops. He was my favorite character and Marvel is ruining him for me. I'm really starting to hate the character now.

I hope he wakes up but with all these new johnny come lately fans who love the new version and thought the old one was boring (he wasn't) I'm not sure we will get that back.

#38 Posted by w0nd (3875 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: in all fairness, if your whole species was becoming extinct and people hated you for no reason but loved other super heroes who weren't born that way like the fantastic full who by all means are exact same as mutants, you may become a little jaded as well. I am surprised he hasn't gone full fledged villain. He could have turned out worse.

#39 Posted by Dernman (15428 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

@dernman: in all fairness, if your whole species was becoming extinct and people hated you for no reason but loved other super heroes who weren't born that way like the fantastic full who by all means are exact same as mutants, you may become a little jaded as well. I am surprised he hasn't gone full fledged villain. He could have turned out worse.

There is going a bit jaded then there is going of the tracks and becoming part of the problem.

#40 Edited by Cale_Michael (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like his decline started much further back, like when he married Madelyn because she looked like his "dead" ex-girlfriend? Then left Madelyn and baby-Cable without hesitation to be with said former girlfriend after all he and Maddie had been through. That doesn't scream 'stability' if you ask me. And then add all the stuff he's been through ... The cracks were already there.

#41 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (12224 posts) - - Show Bio

I just want the X-Men to go back to being one big happy mutant family. Cyclops is awesome and I don't think he's being treated properly, much like everyones said. This is definitely character development for him, which is good, but I still want them all as one group again.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.