Why Cyclops is Awesome

Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

Here is another one of my blogs in my series "Why ___ is Awesome!" This time I'm doing Cyclops. I know that there's a lot of controversy and hate toward Cyclops, especially how he has been handled, currently. But here are my reasons why I think he is awesome:

1. Leader

Cyclops is a great leader. Simple as that. He's a fantastic strategist and tactician. Take note that he is not just a leader of a superhero team, but he is an icon and symbol to stand up for the entire mutant race. It started out with Professor X, but the X-Men were rightfully handed down to Cyclops. He possesses great bravery and the willpower to rise above others. It is evident that Scott Summers seriously cares for the mutant race and his X-Men family. Time after time he has sacrificed his safety, and happiness in order to do what is necessary, which is to protect the mutants. Although is not the boy scout that he once was, it is clear that his goals are still for the benefit of mutants. Summers is amazing in planning and always has something up his sleeve.

Aww yahh

2. Character Depth

I used to see Cyclops as a boring, boy scout with nothing interesting to offer me. But I was wrong. He is a good character because his actions have meaning. Whether or not you agree with him, the things that he does has purpose. Especially now, since his actions from Avengers vs. X-Men to now have been questionable, he has become a more intriguing character. Here is a man who has seen his parents and brother supposedly die, become a "freak," and lose Jean Grey, someone that he had loved so much. Then he encounters the near extinction of his mutant race. He is someone who is deeply troubled and has sacrificed his innocence, happiness, and possibly his sanity in order to protect his people. People may hate him or love him for who he is, but he still pushes on.

3. Flaws

Related to my previous point, Cyclops has flaws. He obviously isn't perfect. He was a boyscout, but even then, he has made mistakes. We've seen him lose control, break down, and now be labeled as an "anti-hero." He has changed so drastically and even I don't know whether or not the things he did were right or wrong. But what I know is this: he is interesting because he isn't perfect. It is incredibly tough to be a leader and make mistakes. Yes, I know he whines a lot, and people hated him for being a boyscout, but that's the best part. His flaws.

4. His Powers

Cyclops' powers are both a gift and a curse. His optic blasts have the ability to do good, but also have changed Scott's life. Like the other X-Men, he's different, confused, and possesses a power that is difficult to control. He has felt alone and afraid. Scott can't open his eyes while the visors, or else he will destroy you. But he has used his powers also to destroy Sentinels and save others. At full power, his optic blasts are incredibly powerful. It is also a treat for me to see Scott let it all out.

5. Jean Grey AND Emma Frost?!

He snagged both Jean Grey and Emma Frost. 'Nuff said.

Checkmate.

So...like what you see? Wanna see more? Click Why ___ is Awesome

Thanks for reading

#1 Edited by Wolverine08 (45689 posts) - - Show Bio

JEANNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

#2 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

JEANNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

LOL. yahh...

I bet you like my first picture on here, though!

#4 Posted by darkbeam (2522 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep this is why he's my favourite character.

#5 Posted by Wolverine08 (45689 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

JEANNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

LOL. yahh...

I bet you like my first picture on here, though!

I did indeed like that picture :D

#6 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12660 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops is and has always been my favorite X-Man. Haters just gonna hate. Glad you find him awesome too.

@wolverine08 said:

JEANNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Hahahahahahahahaaha this was hilarious. Makes me want to go back and rewatch this show.

#7 Edited by Spideysense44 (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

That statement he made about picking Wolverine on his worst day was awsome

#8 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

@spideysense44: I know right? It was plain awesome in X-Men: Schism, when Cyclops and Wolverine grew respect for each other. But then they fought/split up at the end of the story...

#9 Posted by Spideysense44 (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash:

Yea that was epic it sucks how people bash Cyclops ecspecially when they say because his power is too simple -__-

#10 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

@spideysense44: yeah I know what you mean. a lot of people bash on Cyclops in general

#11 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (16519 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops is one of the coolest x men and nice blog too.

#12 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Edited by AllStarSuperman (23008 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops is my favorite X-man.

#14 Edited by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: awesome! Wolverine's my favorite X-Man, but Cyclops is second

#15 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd give you a follow for this, but you already have mine. Great write-up.

#16 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6506 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice blog you really sold me at Jean and Emma XD

#17 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by God_Spawn (38381 posts) - - Show Bio

@spideysense44: I know right? It was plain awesome in X-Men: Schism, when Cyclops and Wolverine grew respect for each other. But then they fought/split up at the end of the story...

Schism did nothing awesome. They've had respect for each for years before Schism ever came out.

#19 Edited by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: ehh, I guess I worded that weirdly. Of course they had respect for each other before Schism, but I just saw Schism as one of the stories that really highlighted their bond as teammates.

#20 Posted by CheeseSticks (2589 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup, Cyclops is the true leader of Mutant kind.

#21 Posted by God_Spawn (38381 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: That's because the whole point was to then ruin it, as you said. Of course it was going to draw attention to it, and I think they actually drew too much attention to it to put emphasis on it.

#22 Edited by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: I didn't really think that they drew too much attention while reading it, but looking back, I can definitely see why you would think that

#23 Posted by God_Spawn (38381 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: It was a pretty bad book altogether anyways. The only benefit it had was it kind of gave breathing room to the X-Men so others could get some light.

#24 Posted by darkbeam (2522 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: to me all it did is make Wolverine a headmaster which I don't like.

#25 Posted by RustyRoy (14010 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome blog, man. Cyke is my favorite X-Men.

#26 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by God_Spawn (38381 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbeam: And that isn't really true. Because of the split, Gillen gave some good limelight to Psylocke, Magneto, Magik, and Colossus. He didn't too much with Storm, I won't add her. Aaron gave us some good moments with the likes of Iceman, Shadowcat, Warbird, Quire, and some of the other students. A very crowded team was taken and split up. It wasn't just focusing on Emma and Cyclops or just Wolverine.

#28 Posted by darkbeam (2522 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: yeah I guess that's true I did very much like Gillen run on Uncanny X-Men.

#29 Posted by Jimmie_Hudson_ (296 posts) - - Show Bio

glad to see slim get some respect and cool thread man. keep em coming

#30 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by God_Spawn (38381 posts) - - Show Bio

Btw, I did forget to say good blog.

#32 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by Figgs216 (76 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally Cyc getting some love I'm tired of everyone hating on him

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.