Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11209 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Where do we go from here?! Who Joins? **(SPOILERS)**

• 63 results
    Colby_Cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Colby_Cheese

What happens next?!

Who do you think will join?

or for that matter

Who do you want to see join?

I'm not going to lie when I read this page, I had goosebumps.Talk about heating up the already on fire Uncanny X-Men.

Colby_Cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Colby_Cheese

In a totally unrelated topic, did anyone else notice that Sinister named Nate Grey after himself? Jus saying.... );

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PrinceIMC

@Colby_Cheese: I kinda hope Cipher, Surge, Prodigy, the Cuckoos, Chamber, Husk, Mercury, Hellion and Rockslide join up with Cyke's team.

As for Nate Grey being named after Sinister it goes back to when Medelyne Pryor renamed her baby to Nathan Christopher Charles Summers. That was even before they revealed Sinister's name was Nathaniel Essex.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KnightRise

@PrinceIMC said:

@Colby_Cheese: I kinda hope Cipher, Surge, Prodigy, the Cuckoos, Chamber, Husk, Mercury, Hellion and Rockslide join up with Cyke's team.

As for Nate Grey being named after Sinister it goes back to when Medelyne Pryor renamed her baby to Nathan Christopher Charles Summers. That was even before they revealed Sinister's name was Nathaniel Essex.

Nathan Christopher Charles Summers is Cable, no?

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PrinceIMC

@KnightRise: Yup. And when he was a baby he was just Christopher Charles Summers named after the two men Scott considered his fathers. Then Madelyne went evil and started calling him Nathan which turned out it was after her "father".

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#7  Edited By Teerack

Toad will join! I'm calling it right now. The past two years the writers have had everyone at the school treat him like crap, and the way things ended with Husk made Toad's hate for Wolverine increase a lot. I really, really, really want to see Bendis make Toad cool again. He's such a great character has has so much potential. I don't know what happened at Marvel in the 90's to make them forget about this guy but seriously it's his time to shine.

• He had to deal with being deformed for most of his life do to experiments that were done on him, luckily they effects were reversed.
    • He was the Leader of The Brother Hood of evil mutants
    • He was Magneto's second in command for a long time
    • His wall crawling powers are better then Spider-man's, because he can stick to slick and wet surfaces unlike Spider-man
    • His legs and tongue have super human strength cable of breaking bones with no effort
    • He's able to spit various times of acid and sticky goo
    • He was one of the people that got back their memories and took part in the end of House of M
    • He's one of the few X-Men characters to have their own solo book
    • He's tried to be a hero multiple times

If Marvel doesn't have him join Cyclops and actually wants to just keep him as a janitor that's very foolish and horribly character treatment.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PrinceIMC

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@PrinceIMC said:

Prodigy isn't at the school, and will actually be joining with the Young Avengers. Surge and the Cuckoos are strong possibilities, as they've always been loyal to Cyclops. Hellion and Rockslide will likely stay at the school, where they chose to go after Schism.

Husk also isn't at the school, she left after Kitty made her take a leave of absence and we haven't seen her since.

I keep forgetting that Prodigy is joining the Young Avengers. I don't understand why Hellion and Rockslide would side with Wolverine. Almost as much sense as Husk leaving the school because she was having a hard time controlling her powers. Nobody seemed to give a damn about helping her which is why I want her to join Cyke's team.

Colby_Cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Colby_Cheese

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@PrinceIMC said:

Prodigy isn't at the school, and will actually be joining with the Young Avengers. Surge and the Cuckoos are strong possibilities, as they've always been loyal to Cyclops. Hellion and Rockslide will likely stay at the school, where they chose to go after Schism.

Husk also isn't at the school, she left after Kitty made her take a leave of absence and we haven't seen her since.

I think Rachel and Nate might be a strong possibility, but even if they don't go it would be interesting to see the dialouge that takes place.

btw Speaking of which where's Elixier? And is Nate even at the school, or is he off with the New Mutants, seperate from Logan and Cyke?

Vec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet young Cyclops and Young Angel will want to go with Older Cyclops if for nothing else than to get the other side of the story.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#11 god_spawn  Moderator

@vec said:

I bet young Cyclops and Young Angel will want to go with Older Cyclops if for nothing else than to get the other side of the story.

I doubt young Cyclops would want to go with his older incarnation. If anything, I can see Angel going.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@vec: Or young Beast too.

Vec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vec

@vec said:

I doubt young Cyclops would want to go with his older incarnation. If anything, I can see Angel going.

Everyone is treating young cyclops as if he has already done the things that they say the older himself did. He pretty much lost control and respect of his team. So why would he not take the chance to do what he has wanted to do since he got to the present, talk to his older self.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@vec: Because of the premise of one of the new mutants joining his team. I don't see young Cyclops "joining" to just talk then leave. I think he is more about proving everyone wrong about what he will become instead of following in his older self's foot steps. It just wouldn't make sense for him to join IMO. Talk to him sure, he could very well do that one of the next issues since that's probably going to happen so we can get some of the character's reactions about everything happening in more extensive detail.

Uncommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Uncommon

Young Angel might go if Jean Grey allows it.

@vec said:

@god_spawn said:

@vec said:

Everyone is treating young cyclops as if he has already done the things that they say the older himself did. He pretty much lost control and respect of his team. So why would he not take the chance to do what he has wanted to do since he got to the present, talk to his older self.

You're right, several people where treating him unfairly, but even wolverine has sort of grown to like him (or at least tolerate him). He'll definitely talk to present Scott, but I'm sure it won't lead to much more than a disagreement between the two.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 god_spawn  Moderator

@uncommon: You're right, several people where treating him unfairly, but even wolverine has sort of grown to like him (or at least tolerate him). He'll definitely talk to present Scott, but I'm sure it won't lead to much more than a disagreement between the two.

That's what I was thinking. Especially after all the BS and what he told Captain America. I can't see him joining older Cyke just to have a conversation when he can easily do it since the next issue of UXM and the next 2 issues of ANXM involve Cyclops at the Jean Grey Institute. So young Cyke has his chance to do it there.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uncommon: You're right, several people where treating him unfairly, but even wolverine has sort of grown to like him (or at least tolerate him). He'll definitely talk to present Scott, but I'm sure it won't lead to much more than a disagreement between the two.

That's what I was thinking. Especially after all the BS and what he told Captain America. I can't see him joining older Cyke just to have a conversation when he can easily do it since the next issue of UXM and the next 2 issues of ANXM involve Cyclops at the Jean Grey Institute. So young Cyke has his chance to do it there.

I think its young beast and angel because it looks like lady mastermind is framing them for murder

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 god_spawn  Moderator
    millersoak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Judging by the reaction of Kitty and Wolverine in the last panel, I think there is a strong possibility that it is Jean Grey/Marvel Girl. I do not know if this is a sincere loyalty/choice, or, following the previous scene in which the school staff discuss infiltrating Cyclops' school, she believes she alone can telepathically outwit a disfunctionally powered White Queen. I would suppose the latter.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 god_spawn  Moderator

Judging by the reaction of Kitty and Wolverine in the last panel, I think there is a strong possibility that it is Jean Grey/Marvel Girl. I do not know if this is a sincere loyalty/choice, or, following the previous scene in which the school staff discuss infiltrating Cyclops' school, she believes she alone can telepathically outwit a disfunctionally powered White Queen. I would suppose the latter.

I think this could be a solid answer after reading it. And I honestly didn't think of another mole angle, but possible. It would be interesting with the Cuckoos there as well, considering the Cuckoos were sincere about joining.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

@millersoak said:

I think this could be a solid answer after reading it. And I honestly didn't think of another mole angle, but possible. It would be interesting with the Cuckoos there as well, considering the Cuckoos were sincere about joining.

I'd have to disagree. I have a strong feeling that it's Warren that's joining up alongside Scott and the others. He's the only that hates being there out of the group and voted entirely against stating in the past. Before Jean wiped his mind, he was flipping out and obviously, he's a little rattled by what he becomes. I doubt it's Jean as her expression when Scott returned was absolute anger and she was the one who made the decision for the group to stay, I doubt she'd so quickly abandon that mission considering her reaction to reading Hank's, Kitty's and Logan's mind.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 god_spawn  Moderator

@deranged_midget: I don't really even think it will be her, tbh. I just said the answer was solid, though because things could go that way for a period and they could do some story angles off of it. If Warren joined, I don't think they would have had that reaction since he was the one wanting to leave. And honestly, I would find him joining too predictable. A lot of people thought Emma Frost was gonna be the mole in UXM and look how that turned out? They made her angry with Scott. She doesn't mind revenge (even though she wouldn't do it to Scott). She was on the cover of UXM 2, which also mentioned the betrayal. So it was just set up as too obvious and I feel like Angel would fit that same bill. If I had to pick who would go based off my gut, I would say young Beast. He seems on the Logan side of things and just seems like he's too much of a background to the original 5. He's also incredibly intelligent, which would be a huge advantage Scott. Young Warren I don't see him doing much for Cyclops' team and he just feels too obvious for me to outright say he will go. But I will not say he won't go either because he does fit that bill, it's just the obvious factor of it just seems...too obvious. And I think Bendis would want some shock and awe to it. Which is what has been stated off solicits.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Deranged Midget

Good point, unless you're simply referring to the mole aspect which Young Hank could pull off brilliantly and he does seem to share a common thinking process with old Hank and Logan. It also makes more sense as Warren is afraid of his future and obviously doesn't want to turn out the way his older self did. The others are in disagreement to what Scott has done and have chosen to stay back to oppose Scott for the sole reason of changing their future. I can't see Jean being the one to leave though, so you might be right in regards to Hank but it's obviously not Scott or Bobby.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@deranged_midget: I can agree on the last part. It's out of Jean, Hank, and Warren at this point. And like I said, Warren would make the most sense here. But it's just too obvious, which is why I think Beast might go. Remember the first issue. Hank was the one that exploded due to a mob attacking them in their timeline and hell, he even made mention to that he sees why Magneto and the Brotherhood did what they did. Beast is a good guy in nature, so I would understand him helping....him, and training to do what Xavier did. But at least 05 Beast was at least angry enough from the storyline Bendis picked them out from to almost quit. And remember, Bendis did pick a specific point in time for a reason. What happened at the end of issue 1 might finally culminate back to the new option that Scott might be right and that he hasn't grown into the devil like furry Beast originally played him out as to them.

Colby_Cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 god_spawn  Moderator

@colby_cheese: I read the issue, as did DM, so pardon me for asking what is the point of the scans?

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colby_cheese: Appreciate the scans mate, but we've read the issue :)

@deranged_midget: I can agree on the last part. It's out of Jean, Hank, and Warren at this point. And like I said, Warren would make the most sense here. But it's just too obvious, which is why I think Beast might go. Remember the first issue. Hank was the one that exploded due to a mob attacking them in their timeline and hell, he even made mention to that he sees why Magneto and the Brotherhood did what they did. Beast is a good guy in nature, so I would understand him helping....him, and training to do what Xavier did. But at least 05 Beast was at least angry enough from the storyline Bendis picked them out from to almost quit. And remember, Bendis did pick a specific point in time for a reason. What happened at the end of issue 1 might finally culminate back to the new option that Scott might be right and that he hasn't grown into the devil like furry Beast originally played him out as to them.

Ah too true, I almost forgot about that. Hank was on the verge of leaving in the first issue since he couldn't stand the hate he and the other mutants were taking from the world at large. If it were not for Scott's plea's and (present)Hank's involvement, we would've seen the possibly abandonment of Hank. Basing off your theory, Hank might still believe in Xavier's true dream and Logan's intentions but feels that perhaps the best thing to do would be to "join" with Scott under Logan's directions. Work as a mole, attempting to gain Scott's trust and in turn, learning his true intentions not only to help save his future but to see if his intentions are genuine as well. Although, having Emma around would make that severely difficult unless older Hank creates something for his younger self to conspicuously block out her telepathy.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JohnnyGat

I wish it were young Bobby, even though it is completely illogical Wouldn't that be a funny curveball being his reasons would be there being 5 hot blondes on one team.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

From what we saw in All-New X-Men #10 it looks like it should be Jean Grey.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 god_spawn  Moderator

@deranged_midget: They have a few ways to deal with this. Just kind of sucks we have to wait another month -_-. Unless they put it in UXM 4, but I doubt itsince it seems more like a recap from the UXM side and since Scott did leave for a bit in the ANXM issue, it might discuss their POV on this even more in depth.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: Yeah, I hate waiting for this >.< I am genuinely glad at how good Bendis has been handling All-New X-Men though, it's one of my favourite titles out at the moment.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@god_spawn: Yeah, I hate waiting for this >.< I am genuinely glad at how good Bendis has been handling All-New X-Men though, it's one of my favourite titles out at the moment.

Don't let Lyko see that :P.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget said:

Wait, what was that? BENDIS IS WRITING AN AMAZING X-MEN STORY?! :)

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@god_spawn said:

@deranged_midget said:

You asked for it :p.

@lykopis

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget said:

@god_spawn said:

@deranged_midget said:

You asked for it :p.

@lykopis

GUYS! I can't stop swooning over Bendis' X-Men work! Gosh, I wish he would write it forever and ever! :D

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: @deranged_midget:

-_-

I have decided your Super Tag Team Of Mutual Agreement is due to extenuating circumstances. Extraneous, mindless power-lifting to the tune of Eye of the Tiger has been known to bring on bouts of delusion so we are good. However, allow me to return you both to the land of reality.

Obfuscation, boys. That is what Bendis is doing. He is banking on fanboys/girls interpreting his ridiculous premises as ooh-and-aah story-telling. Omigosh -- it's just so exciting -- I mean -- what did that mean? What did this mean? Omigosh - what did he mean by that? Why did she do that? Where did they go and how are they going to fix this? Just so exciting and out-there and extraordinary and suspenseful and blah, blah...BLEGH.

Emma is even MORE destroyed in this new segment of stupidity.

Beast is a hypocrite - correct? Okay -- but the claim that the O5 are "stealing" a second chance is the purest example of hypocrisy. And of course, Emma had to be the one to say it, right? Bendisitis in the extreme. Magneto's whole "ooh -- look who I tricked into believing I am on their side!!!" is even more deterioration of a character who deserves a helluvalot more than playing Fidel Castro to Cyclops' Che Guevara.

Lookee there, though?! Erik's got a super-shiny Romanesque helmut/armor thing going on! That should make the throngs happy - Bachalo is good at making things shimmer on page. But hey -- go ahead and fist-pump and chest pound and back slap or whatever else Cyclops' apologists do.

I like the idea of the O5 visiting the future -- awesome outside of the box thinking. I enjoy Kitty and Bobby and Angel (the older and younger) and I love the exchanges between the two Beasts and even Logan and younger Scott bouncing off the other. Bendis is funny -- very. I like how he caters to the older fan but not at the risk of making the new fan feel out of the loop. I like how he can keep things linear because he has creative control over both books but that has also translated into an almost slow grinding of the wheels, story-wise but inexplicably he has also ran roughshod over abilities and expectations and power-sets and even child/adult lines of authority.

I b*tch the most about Emma but the character I am having the hardest time taking in is the one who I had the most hope for. Lemme give you a hint -- it rhymes with teen and queen.

One second Jean is a kid barely out of her training bra and the next, she's storming out with a grim, determined look on her face after mind-blanking a fellow team-mate. One second she is concerned for young Scott and what he is going through, but then shooting daggers at him as though he is the most horrific human being on Earth. She is regarded as her group's leader and only because Storm and Kitty were around to suggest it. Uhm - no. Scott is the leader of the X-Men. This young kid is the individual Charles Xavier put in charge -- you know, the guy everyone has suddenly elevated to sainthood?

And then there is Logan -- and the history he had with the older Jean that the younger is now aware of and --- ewww. Just ewww. Jean is a bloody teenager - and already she is placing a hand on Wolverine's shoulder like she did in the past whenever she wanted him to see reason - does no one have a problem with this?

Honestly, this has been a clusterf*ck from the moment Marvel editorial greenlit Schism. Cyclops' is the warrior-maker and Wolverine is the nursemaid -- Emma is angsty female over her failure to trust in Scott's love for her -- Erik, bloody MAGNETO is Scott's henchman -- and Quinten Quire is giggling his @ss off nearby.

Really, Bendis? Really?

Forgive me for thinking a writer who blatantly disregards previously critically acclaimed canon to the exclusion/creation of important/random characters to fit a story line he has been cramming down the throats of readers nonsensically isn't worthy of accolade. In order for me to enjoy this book (and the other) is to pluck out a good portion of my brain which helps line things together logically or better yet -- force myself to just think the X-Men have become a gaggle of crazy-for-cocoa puffs idiots who are more concerned about placing blame on each other than being the cohesive, strongly bonded group of people they were for years before all this.

So continue enthusiastically taking in what Bendis is putting out so far - as for me?

I don't swallow.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 god_spawn  Moderator
    Avatar image for ellie_knightfall
    Ellie_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Lyko rants are the best rants, even if I don't always agree.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

@god_spawn: @deranged_midget:

-_-

I have decided your Super Tag Team Of Mutual Agreement is due to extenuating circumstances. Extraneous, mindless power-lifting to the tune of Eye of the Tiger has been known to bring on bouts of delusion so we are good. However, allow me to return you both to the land of reality.

STTOMA is subject only because of the twinness we have! Don't be hating m'lady! And hey, lifting of the weights is not a mindless act and WHAT'S WRONG WITH EYE OF THE TIGER!? I'd also like to add that I am deranged...

Obfuscation, boys. That is what Bendis is doing. He is banking on fanboys/girls interpreting his ridiculous premises as ooh-and-aah story-telling. Omigosh -- it's just so exciting -- I mean -- what did that mean? What did this mean? Omigosh - what did he mean by that? Why did she do that? Where did they go and how are they going to fix this? Just so exciting and out-there and extraordinary and suspenseful and blah, blah...BLEGH.

Banking on what exactly hmm? Are most writers not catering to what fans hope to get from their favourite characters? It's obviously not necessary and originality and creativity is always desired, but the same could be said for differentiation, which I'll at least give Bendis credit for trying. Out with the old, in with the new.

Emma is even MORE destroyed in this new segment of stupidity.

Meh, never liked Emma, won't start now. Hate me all you want, but I said it.

Beast is a hypocrite - correct? Okay -- but the claim that the O5 are "stealing" a second chance is the purest example of hypocrisy. And of course, Emma had to be the one to say it, right? Bendisitis in the extreme. Magneto's whole "ooh -- look who I tricked into believing I am on their side!!!" is even more deterioration of a character who deserves a helluvalot more than playing Fidel Castro to Cyclops' Che Guevara.

How exactly is Beast being a hypocrite? Irresponsible and deceitful sure, but he's only believing in what Xavier taught him and is trying to revive in his oldest friend. What, so a writer can't play two sides of the coin now? At one point, you could be severely ticked off by the motives of one party, while in understanding of the other. Or it could be the opposite. I think Bendis is portraying that pretty darn well. Of course, I care little for Uncanny X-Men, so I'm only referring to All-New X-Men from here-on out.

Lookee there, though?! Erik's got a super-shiny Romanesque helmut/armor thing going on! That should make the throngs happy - Bachalo is good at making things shimmer on page. But hey -- go ahead and fist-pump and chest pound and back slap or whatever else Cyclops' apologists do.

Not sure when Erik had a costume change but as I said, not reading any X-Men titles right now save for All-New, so I don't have anything to comment regarding the subject matter.

I like the idea of the O5 visiting the future -- awesome outside of the box thinking. I enjoy Kitty and Bobby and Angel (the older and younger) and I love the exchanges between the two Beasts and even Logan and younger Scott bouncing off the other. Bendis is funny -- very. I like how he caters to the older fan but not at the risk of making the new fan feel out of the loop. I like how he can keep things linear because he has creative control over both books but that has also translated into an almost slow grinding of the wheels, story-wise but inexplicably he has also ran roughshod over abilities and expectations and power-sets and even child/adult lines of authority.

No argument here.

One second Jean is a kid barely out of her training bra and the next, she's storming out with a grim, determined look on her face after mind-blanking a fellow team-mate. One second she is concerned for young Scott and what he is going through, but then shooting daggers at him as though he is the most horrific human being on Earth. She is regarded as her group's leader and only because Storm and Kitty were around to suggest it. Uhm - no. Scott is the leader of the X-Men. This young kid is the individual Charles Xavier put in charge -- you know, the guy everyone has suddenly elevated to sainthood?

And then there is Logan -- and the history he had with the older Jean that the younger is now aware of and --- ewww. Just ewww. Jean is a bloody teenager - and already she is placing a hand on Wolverine's shoulder like she did in the past whenever she wanted him to see reason - does no one have a problem with this?

What's the big deal with Jean taking charge? Is it really her fault that she was so abruptly subjected to the truth about her team's future and her own? She never asked for it nor did she want to take responsibility for what had to be done. One moment she's completely oblivious to what's in store for her, trying to deal with her ever-growing powers and the next, she discovers that not only is she a telekinetic, but also an extremely powerful telepath with no knowledge of how to cope with her powers. The fact that she stood up and started making decisions when Scott was sitting in the corner wishing for it to be all over proves determination and her will to save her friends from whatever damnation awaits them.

How is Jean supposed to react to Logan's thoughts? Obviously from reading his mind, she recognizes that he has certain... tendency to "disagree" with Scott and utilizes his feelings towards her as an advantage. What would you have her do? Turn him into a vegetable because he instantly swooned over the sight of her?

Honestly, this has been a clusterf*ck from the moment Marvel editorial greenlit Schism. Cyclops' is the warrior-maker and Wolverine is the nursemaid -- Emma is angsty female over her failure to trust in Scott's love for her -- Erik, bloody MAGNETO is Scott's henchman -- and Quinten Quire is giggling his @ss off nearby.

Again, I'm in agreement that the majority of the X-Universe is rattling around in the gutter, but in Bendis' case, he's taking what he can work with. You can't always be a crowd pleaser. It's obviously not where I'd want the X-Men to be right now, but it's better than simply rebooting everything and pretending as it ever happened because that just solves everything proper.

Forgive me for thinking a writer who blatantly disregards previously critically acclaimed canon to the exclusion/creation of important/random characters to fit a story line he has been cramming down the throats of readers nonsensically isn't worthy of accolade. In order for me to enjoy this book (and the other) is to pluck out a good portion of my brain which helps line things together logically or better yet -- force myself to just think the X-Men have become a gaggle of crazy-for-cocoa puffs idiots who are more concerned about placing blame on each other than being the cohesive, strongly bonded group of people they were for years before all this.

So continue enthusiastically taking in what Bendis is putting out so far - as for me?

I don't swallow.

No one is saying that Bendis is perfect in any regard, but the fact that he's still trying to create something fresh and innovative in the face of the one of the worst occurrences in the X-Universe allows him some credit. And it's not as if he's the first writer to ignore continuity in order to write a story that might actually put an end to this ridiculous civil war and throw the merry band back together. I for one, don't agree with a single thing that Scott is trying to achieve and my happiest moments with this series - actually with any X-title recently- was when Magneto called him out on his garbage in the third issue.

So yeah, I'd much rather let the characters take some crap in exchange for something we've seen a dozen times over.

:)

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lykopis

** sigh**

(Sometimes, ya loon, you make it too easy.)

@deranged_midget said:

STTOMA is subject only because of the twinness we have! Don't be hating m'lady! And hey, lifting of the weights is not a mindless act and WHAT'S WRONG WITH EYE OF THE TIGER!? I'd also like to add that I am deranged...

It's the mirror. It does something to the two of you when you guys hit the gym. And you're right - I take back what I said about the Eye of the Tiger. It must be the side effect of unfettered fury caused by Bendisitis. Still - it's not enough for me to join in the suggested "bending" over to treat the symptom ...

@deranged_midget said:

Banking on what exactly hmm? Are most writers not catering to what fans hope to get from their favourite characters? It's obviously not necessary and originality and creativity is always desired, but the same could be said for differentiation, which I'll at least give Bendis credit for trying. Out with the old, in with the new.

Out with the old? In with the new? Differentiation? (ormigod -- things are worse than I thought with you -- the derangement has gotten worse)

@deranged_midget said:

Meh, never liked Emma, won't start now. Hate me all you want, but I said it.

No Caption Provided

@deranged_midget said:

How exactly is Beast being a hypocrite? Irresponsible and deceitful sure, but he's only believing in what Xavier taught him and is trying to revive in his oldest friend. What, so a writer can't play two sides of the coin now? At one point, you could be severely ticked off by the motives of one party, while in understanding of the other. Or it could be the opposite. I think Bendis is portraying that pretty darn well. Of course, I care little for Uncanny X-Men, so I'm only referring to All-New X-Men from here-on out.

(psst -- Beast apparently did what he did because he felt it as the right thing to do to save the future from turning out the way it did. Gee -- sounds like you-know-who - you know - the guy who has been fighting for the right for mutants to exist in the first place?)

Seriously though, I don't find Beast to be too much of a hypocrite, not in the way most fans seems to think he is. Plus, he pretty much knows he's f*cked up in terms of bringing the O5 to the future.

As for Bendis portraying one side being ticked off while expressing understanding - well no duh. He's the one writing the damn thing. It's pretty easy to show the holes in the other side's way of thinking when the holes are the size of Mars. Now -- how about pointing out the glaring inconsistencies when it comes to character portrayal. Oh yeah, that's right -- that would require acknowledgement on the part of the writer that he's cherry-picked scenes which shore up what he is trying to push, story-wise. What was I thinking, hoping the writer wouldn't insult me by ignoring I am a rational, intelligent reader. K -- plucking out brain now.

As for only reading All New X-Men? Good. Don't even pick up a copy of Uncanny. It's ... it's.. The horror. The horror.)

@deranged_midget said:

Not sure when Erik had a costume change but as I said, not reading any X-Men titles right now save for All-New, so I don't have anything to comment regarding the subject matter.

Good man. There is hope for you yet.

@deranged_midget said:

No argument here.

Screenshot. This will come in handy.

@deranged_midget said:

What's the big deal with Jean taking charge? Is it really her fault that she was so abruptly subjected to the truth about her team's future and her own? She never asked for it nor did she want to take responsibility for what had to be done. One moment she's completely oblivious to what's in store for her, trying to deal with her ever-growing powers and the next, she discovers that not only is she a telekinetic, but also an extremely powerful telepath with no knowledge of how to cope with her powers. The fact that she stood up and started making decisions when Scott was sitting in the corner wishing for it to be all over proves determination and her will to save her friends from whatever damnation awaits them.

How is Jean supposed to react to Logan's thoughts? Obviously from reading his mind, she recognizes that he has certain... tendency to "disagree" with Scott and utilizes his feelings towards her as an advantage. What would you have her do? Turn him into a vegetable because he instantly swooned over the sight of her?

Maybe (and I am going out on a limb here) she should be stepping back a bit from all this considering her "future". I don't quite get how anyone who has been flash-fed the future can be considered all too stable. Hence -- the Angel mind-wipe? No warning bells? Scott was sitting in the corner, wishing for it all to be over with -- he was thinking -- realizing -- taking it all in. Let's not forget that apparently he's the bad guy in all this -- but nope, not darling Jean. The "take-charge" newly-inflicted telepathetic who is developing a nasty habit of reading people's minds without their consent. Very... Xavier-ish of her.

Wow. However did Logan survive all this time without Jean's gentle placement of her hand upon his rigid shoulder? Thank goodness she was around -- who knows Logan would have done since he is incapable of pulling back, incapable of thinking and doing things for the greater good. He's just a senseless animal without her around after all, right?

@deranged_midget said:

Again, I'm in agreement that the majority of the X-Universe is rattling around in the gutter, but in Bendis' case, he's taking what he can work with. You can't always be a crowd pleaser. It's obviously not where I'd want the X-Men to be right now, but it's better than simply rebooting everything and pretending as it ever happened because that just solves everything proper.

Yeah -- I mean, why should I, a paying loyal X-Men fan expect a writer who is partly responsible for what's left of a destroyed X-Men world to fix anything? Makes complete sense to further f*ck things up and kick a few characters down a few notches from well earned character development. Here's an idea - how about NOT reboot anything and get to working on the X-Men working as a team -- cohesively with other mutant groups just like they were before House of M? Not like THAT wasn't successful or anything...

@deranged_midget said:

No one is saying that Bendis is perfect in any regard, but the fact that he's still trying to create something fresh and innovative in the face of the one of the worst occurrences in the X-Universe allows him some credit. And it's not as if he's the first writer to ignore continuity in order to write a story that might actually put an end to this ridiculous civil war and throw the merry band back together. I for one, don't agree with a single thing that Scott is trying to achieve and my happiest moments with this series - actually with any X-title recently- was when Magneto called him out on his garbage in the third issue.

So yeah, I'd much rather let the characters take some crap in exchange for something we've seen a dozen times over.

:)

The only thing fresh and innovative was the introduction of the O5 into the future. Giving him leeway because he isn't the first writer to ignore continuity does him no credit -- a writer with more time on his hands can be quite capable of ending this so called "revolution" without sacrificing continuity OR well established character development. I am a paying customer -- his job it to please me. He is not pleasing me.

I don't think it's a secret that I am more critical of Cyclops' character than I am of say, Wolverine. I don't even recognize him anymore -- this isn't the Scott I used to care for. Having some pretty speeches like "I couldn't bear the thought of living one more moment thinking any of you truly believe I murdered the only daddy I ever really knew!!!" is just cheap one-off dialogue bubbles Bendis throws out there in hopes that will satisfy readers like me who don't buy the Scott he is force-feeding us. There is no way I can reconcile THAT passionate Scott with the same one who moments earlier (or after) who claims he intends to make warriors out of every mutant. Nope. Like I said -- not swallowing.

But hey, I think I read somewhere that you are liking SpOck? Right? Now that's some spot on innovation right there. Go Slott!

Oh, and lest I forget? ------> ;)

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lykopis

@god_spawn said:

@lykopis: That was worth it.

Grrrr.

@ellie_knightfall said:

Lyko rants are the best rants, even if I don't always agree.

<3

Seriously -- it's fun to hate on Bendis. Plus, he's won anyway since I am picking up both books -- lol.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: I think it'd be fair to note that I have not religiously followed an X-book (besides Wolverine) since the end of Whedon and Morrison's run. Therefore, I think it'd be accurate to state that my knowledge on most character developments has been, shall we say... inadequate. Having said that, I see no shame in submitting to what you stated in the wonderfully crafted response above. I thank you for taking the time to share all of that with me! :)

Oh and just to clear the air! My opinion regarding Slott's run on Superior thus far has been... average to say the least. You of all people would know that Spider-Man is my favourite character and there's no one I'd prefer to see under the mask then Peter, so no, I'm not exactly thrilled that Octavius is in possession of Peter's body. But honestly, it's a different take on the character and by now, I've just learned how to deal with it because in the long run, we don't always like change but we all eventually get used to it.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: I think it'd be fair to note that I have not religiously followed an X-book (besides Wolverine) since the end of Whedon and Morrison's run. Therefore, I think it'd be accurate to state that my knowledge on most character developments has been, shall we say... inadequate. Having said that, I see no shame in submitting to what you stated in the wonderfully crafted response above. I thank you for taking the time to share all of that with me! :)

Oh and just to clear the air! My opinion regarding Slott's run on Superior thus far has been... average to say the least. You of all people would know that Spider-Man is my favourite character and there's no one I'd prefer to see under the mask then Peter, so no, I'm not exactly thrilled that Octavius is in possession of Peter's body. But honestly, it's a different take on the character and by now, I've just learned how to deal with it because in the long run, we don't always like change but we all eventually get used to it.

Awh -- I know, lol. I was being especially sarcastic with my SpOck comment - I am **ahem** not pleased with that development either. >_>

Truer words like the following have never been spoken:

I've just learned how to deal with it because in the long run, we don't always like change but we all eventually get used to it.

Preach.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: Nah, I cannot preach anything. Most people refuse to listen to the ranting of a Deranged person ;)

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lykopis

@lykopis: Nah, I cannot preach anything. Most people refuse to listen to the ranting of a Deranged person ;)

More the fools, them.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 god_spawn  Moderator
    lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lykopis
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 god_spawn  Moderator
    lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.