The New Role and Direction for Cyclops and the X-Men

Posted by G-Man (32556 posts) - - Show Bio

With mutants in the Marvel universe, there's always been the question of survival. For some reason, they have always been feared and hated. It didn't matter that other super-powered individuals such as the Fantastic Four, Captain America or Thor existed. Mutants were always singled out as major threats. The only reason Spider-Man is sometimes seen as a menace is due to J. Jonah Jameson's smear campaign in the Daily Bugle.

Despite's Professor Xavier's dream of peaceful coexistence between mutants and humans, it's always been more a matter of survival of the fittest. This is where Xavier and Magneto differed in opinion. Magneto felt mutants had to stand for themselves and claim their role as the next evolution of the human species. It was recently that he agreed to tone down his extreme methods when joining the X-Men once again.

Cyclops has always been the poster boy for the X-Men and Xavier's beliefs. Over the last few years he's slowly been changing his ways. During AVENGERS VS X-MEN, some would say Cyclops completely crossed the line in order to preserve the survival of mutants. Now seen as a criminal by the vast majority in the Marvel Universe, was this the best decision and is there any way for Cyclops to go back to a school setting?

== TEASER ==

Simply put, Cyclops has evolved. He is not the perfect obedient soldier following Xavier's dream. As far as he's concerned, that dream is dead. The world has changed and Xavier's methods failed to ensure the survival of mutants. Despite his slow move to become more proactive (sanctioning a killer X-squad and deciding young mutants need to be trained as soldiers), it was having the power of the Phoenix Force that really changed the game. He felt that with the power, he had to do whatever it took for mutants to survive. There were many casualties during the battles (including his killing Professor X) and destruction around the world which resulted in his incarceration. As long as the Phoenix Force could be used to spark the creation and return of mutants, he was perfectly willing to accept the cost.

While incarcerated, Cyclops was willing to be a political prisoner or even become a martyr for the cause he now believed in. Having arranged to be broken out of his prison by Magneto and Magik (In AVX: CONSEQUENCES #5), Cyclops has decided his battle for mutantkind is not over.

During his breakout, he took the time to have Magik banish some inmates that killed a mutant prisoner to Limbo and had Danger scar the face of the warden as a message to anyone that "tries to profit from mutant prejudice." In the past, Cyclops wouldn't have issued such punishment. The times definitely are changing.

Since Cyclops has become more extreme in his ways, there has been many debates on the message boards whether or not Cyclops was right. Does he have the right to take these matters into his own hands? Was it his position to cause the creation of more mutants, even if those that now become mutants never asked for it? Apart from the unintended murder of Charles Xavier, has Cyclops completely given up on the dream of the man that he came to see as his father?

The answer to that last question is 'no.' He still believes in the dream. It's that dream that is driving him. He simply understands that Xavier's methods can't work in today's world as the level of hatred and fear has risen to an all time high. Al the X-Men are aware of the possible dismal future that they could all be facing. Upon busting out of his prison, Cyclops left Wolverine a letter.

He told Wolverine to continue with the school and the teaching of Xavier's ways. He believes he will be able to give the young mutants of today a better tomorrow. He knows he will have to give up a lot in order to push the world to accept mutants and to ensure their safety and survival. He will fight the battles so that Wolverine won't' have to and can concentrate on the teaching of those young mutants. He is willing to do things that others might perceive as wrong or even criminal in order to ensure the safety of the students and other new mutants that may arise.

Cyclops mission now is be more of a strike force in the protection of his species. He will take on the name "X-Men" as well and pick up any mutants he comes across. Whether he has those mutants fight by his side or sends them off to the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning remains to be seen.

There's also the question of what Cyclops' younger self will think of his future counterparts extreme ways. That will be a big part in the pages of ALL-NEW X-MEN when the original X-Men are brought to the present. It's been rumored (based on several bits and pieces of the first issue that have been released) that this will be the major factor in the X-Men from the past journeying to the present.

Was Cyclops right?

That's a question that will continue to be debated. As more mutants pop up, so will the threats against them and humans. Just as Magneto was seen as a criminal for doing whatever he felt was necessary in order to stand for the rights of mutants, Cyclops is prepared to do the same.

Comic book logic may tell us that Cyclops will eventually be embraced as a hero once again someday. That just isn't something he's concerned about right now.

Cyclops' job is to ensure the survival of mutants, no matter what the cost is.

Staff
#1 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I think it would have been better if Cyclops had stayed in prison for a bit longer... it's been what, one month? Two?

#2 Posted by feebadger (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't normally say this sort of thing as it is arrogant and self important, but considering what Marvel isdoing with this character, i must say it: Give me Cyclops, Marvel. Give me him NOW! I will save him! Honestly, i couldn't do any WORSE! (I hate you, Marvel).

#3 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

I would've preferred a Cyclops solo book.

Imagine it, a red streak of light from one building to the next. The entire Office of Sentinel Research and Development(Or whatever it's called), wiped out.

#4 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

@Meteorite said:

Personally, I think it would have been better if Cyclops had stayed in prison for a bit longer... it's been what, one month? Two?

You'd expect a couple immensely powerful mutants to allow their number one world renowned leader to rot in a municipal facility any longer than they had to? The only reason he was in there THAT long was because he held them off.

That would be my in universe explanation.

Out of universe?

Marvel NOW is the deadline. Have to finish setting up.

#5 Posted by Cavemold (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

if its not his right then who rights is it? good article!

#6 Posted by charlieboy (7159 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops is the new Magneto.

#7 Posted by Sleepbutnodream15 (570 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Cyclops, and I also love what Marvel's done with him over the last year. I feel like this will be his biggest character development in a long while. Can't wait!

On a side note, I'm not sure how All New X-Men #1 is gonna turn out. The Original 5 don't appear until the last page. Otherwise, it looks like the series as a whole should be really good.

#8 Posted by saoakden (1040 posts) - - Show Bio

So Cyclops is basically becoming more like Magneto? Reading about Cyclops' new role reminded me of Fear Itself and Avengers vs. X-Men. I think there was a promo for Cyclops sayig Do You Fear of what you become? & the image shows Cyclops wearing Magento's outfit and during the Issue one of AvX when Magneto said to Cyclops "You starting to sound like me." I think that could of been a hint that Cyclops would have changed. It sounds like Cyclops started to change around the aftermath of House of M or the Messiah Complex story. I've read House of M and I know what happens there, haven't Messiah Complex yet. I'm just guessing and I might be wrong.

Man I really can't wait to see Young Cyclops reaction to what his older self does or what he will do.

#9 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3554 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks to Scarlet Witch's personal issues. The mutant race was cut down to a little over 200, and no more new mutants were being born. I believe that was revealed X-MEN SUPERNOVAS. Sentinels were placed surrounding the school for their "protection". The very machines that were designed to wipe them out.

Many of the depowered kids even became suicidal. It was then the Purifiers strike and killed many of the children. Where were the Avengers, Fantastic Four, Spider-man,...anyone? Did the Avengers, for lack of a better word, avenge the death of all those children? Did they do anything about the genocide on Genosha? At the time, Iron Man was still trying to get them to join the Initiative, but that meant registering. Well, Tony got other thrown by Norman Osborn and started Dark Reign.

Cyclops then took them off shore so they were no longer under Osborn's government takeover. That still wasn't going to stop the Purifiers from wiping them out while their numbers were so few. They had no more soldiers to recruit and train. All there was to do was to teach the children to fight. No one was going to help protect them. It's not as if any of the grand minds of the Marvel universe were doing anything to help the X-Men find some other path to reignite the X-gene. Was Cyclops just suppose to keep them isolated and hope really hard and the Purifiers didn't take another shot and kill more kids?

How is it very different than a small group of human survivors against a world of zombies? They're the minority, their numbers aren't growing anymore, there is a group out to kill them, and no one is coming to their aide until maybe after a lot of people die. When you're numbers are in the 200s, you don't have the luxury positive thinking.

#11 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops is kind of a jerk and goes against what I used to know about him; not sure I like this new direction. I don't think it's very in-character. Wasn't he always the more mild mannered one? I'd understand if this was Wolverine or something, but Scott just doesn't seem like he'd do this. It seems somewhat forced.

#12 Posted by WinterFreakinSoldier (44 posts) - - Show Bio

The world might stand behind Cyclops

"To the world at large, the public doesn't know Cyclops killed Xavier," said Bendis. "Even though everybody saw it … everybody saw a different thing." The writer elaborated, stating the argument will continue on. "To the public, there was a very cool guy named Scott Summers [who changed the world], did it and then suddenly disappeared." Bendis said Cyclops will become a very public face of a mutant revolution. "When I say these things, it's not everyone. There are some people who really like him, there are some who really don't." The X-Men will be forced to change their roles and everyone has very different ideas on how to handle Cyclops.
#13 Posted by ozeol (506 posts) - - Show Bio

He's probably gonna try and take over the world next, or turn everyone on the planet into mutants. The thing is that now, just like Magneto has he's completely forgot about the normal humans who could get hurt, he's so focussed on only protecting mutant interests. I approved him setting up the X-Force and Utopia but he's not trying to justify his actions to the world anymore. He should have tried to build better relations with the humans perhaps even working with the government for a while. Now I guess its a bit too late for that, he's just considered a criminal.

#14 Posted by antemiusenteri (239 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cavemold: maybe its the right of the mutant race as a whole . "if its not his right then who rights is it?" cyclops might be the leader of the X-men (who voted him to be the leader again) but he is not the president of the mutant race or the king or the chief ton , 30 years ago professor X( who he murdered) mad him team leader of a group of 5 .that doesn't give him any right to solely decide the fate of the human race

if you ask me its one thing to give all the mutants who'v lost there powers back

its another to take average normal teenagers and make them mutants ,some will get cool powers and end up dying fighting some sentinel or the hell fire club or friends of humanity or hell the next time the school is blown up and the bigger majority that won't develop mutant powers and instead develop some grotesque mutation won't ever have a normal life and will be a defenseless target again: sentinels ,hell fire club ect...........

i can't wait until he actually dies. am starting to develop loathsome feeling i usually reserve for actual people

#15 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, despite all the things he has done lately, I'm actually excited to see what he does in Uncanny X-Men (Though, I'm calling it Dark X-men).

#16 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

This is so wrong.

Cyclops just sent some prisoners to limbo, which means they're proably good as dead now, and he scarred the warden. How is this a good thing?!? He keeps ignoring the law to suit his goal! The prisoners killed a mutant imate, yes, but they would have probably have been punished for that. We won't know since Cyclops executed them!

He's sounding more and more like Apocalyspe! How is this okay?!?!

He should stay in prison for his crimes! He has gone too far. Does he feel remorse for killing Xavier at all?

WHAT IS YOUR DEAL MARVEL? WHY ARE YOU INSISTING THAT CYCLOPS SHOULD CONTINUE UNABATED!!??!!

#17 Posted by Mokey (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Bendis still going to write it? Then I still don't care.

#18 Posted by Jazon (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is a step in the right direction, a breath of fresh air. So Cyclops is going to do what Wolverine's X-Force used to: to eliminate threats to mutants. I love that twist. With Magneto and Magik in Cyclops's team, i think there's no limit to the extent of things he will do to achieve that goal.

Also, Cyclops revealing his faith in Wolverine means he has seen his mistake before. He is still humble to a point.

I look forward to how Cyclops and his relationship with other mutants, particularly Wolverine, develops.

#19 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, it feels weirder year after year to still have that "mutants are dejected from society"-thingie, I mean as far as the Marvel U go, with all the super powered people, costumed heroes, etc. Mutants should feel less human, than, say Asguardians or others.

Now, if Marvel kept each of their franchises in separated universes on the other hand...

#20 Posted by JohnnyGat (1563 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick said:

This is so wrong.

Cyclops just sent some prisoners to limbo, which means they're proably good as dead now, and he scarred the warden. How is this a good thing?!? He keeps ignoring the law to suit his goal! The prisoners killed a mutant imate, yes, but they would have probably have been punished for that. We won't know since Cyclops executed them!

He should stay in prison for his crimes! He has gone too far. Does he feel remorse for killing Xavier at all?

WHAT IS YOUR DEAL MARVEL? WHY ARE YOU INSISTING THAT CYCLOPS SHOULD CONTINUE UNABATED!!??!!

Limbo is Magik's domain I doubt those inmates have been executed. Trapped in eternal torture seems more plausible (which is worst though). And yes he does feel remorse for killing Xavier read AvX Consequences #2 where he and Logan have a chat. Does he regret killing Xavier? Yes. Does he regret the outcome of the situation? No.

And from the prisoners point of view you really think those guys that killed that mutant would be punished. Look at it this way those three were the same three that seemed to have a beef with the other mutant, those three had shown access to shanks in their initial encounter and attempt to harm both Cyke and the other guy, those three had shown that they were indeed racist against mutants.

Did you ever wonder how despite those things I've noted they were able to roam close enough to the people they've already made an attempt to kill and finish the job they started. The fact is that prison never really cared whether the two mutant prisoners lived or die they just wanted to show that they can be contained. The prison never took any precaution (key word "any") to ensure that the mutant prisoners had any safety at all.

The only crime Cyclops did throughout this whole situation is letting all the prisoners out of that prison for the Avengers and the authorities to catch them. The only crimes he committed during AvX was only when he had been fully possessed by the Phoenix otherwise he has no crimes that can't be argued.

#21 Posted by bunkerbuster05 (305 posts) - - Show Bio

I really love the direction Marvel is going with. The role reversal of Wolverine and Cyclops is pretty neat. I mean, I never would have thought Wolverine would be running a school, and that's one of my favorite books out!

One part of me wishes he continues down the Magneto path, because sooner or later he will return to the way he was.

#22 Posted by DeusVult (83 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops is right. He's doing whats necessary for the survivla of mutantkind.

#23 Edited by Sinfulplayerx (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops has stared into the Abyss and it has stared back into him.

#24 Posted by Sinfulplayerx (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Which is it? Right or Wrong?

#25 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@JohnnyGat: Regardless of whether those prisoners were going to get away with killing the mutant prisoner or not, Cyclops did not have the right to send them to Limbo. He is playing judge and jury, which no superhero should do. This was not one of those "hard calls in wartime" situations, this was Cyclops deciding that he's the last say in all things mutant related.

#26 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33062 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick: Prof X killed him self also if that was Wolverine or Winter Soldier in that prison they would have shot/stabbed everyone, why is it cool for them but not for Cyk?

#27 Posted by GothamRed (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not about who's right or wrong, the fact of the matter is Cyclops went about how he handled everything in almost entirely the wrong way. Even if phoenix restarted the mutant race, cyclops still started an international war and allied himself with a well known enemy of the planet. He broke the law, regardless of the end the means were still highly illegal. Being "right" doesn't automatically make his course of action correct.

#28 Posted by kagato (247 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick said:

This is so wrong.

Couldnt have put it better myself, the guy has gone completely off the rails, he is a mutant terrorist killing or maiming anyone he deems to be in his way. I dont even think he cares about killing Professor X and that letter to Logan wasnt a "i totally support you mutant brother", it was him saying that Wolverine has lost his edge, that he would take over all the killing instead and that he was the only one strong enough to protect the kids.

Cyclops is running is own brotherhood of mutants with Magneto as a weird henchman, he isnt far off Weapon Omega in the AOA universe, how long before he starts sending humans to camps to be put to work or executed? Im really interested to see what past Scott makes of his future self, id be suprised if he isnt completely horrified by what he has become.

#29 Posted by hyenascar (192 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

Cyclops is kind of a jerk and goes against what I used to know about him; not sure I like this new direction. I don't think it's very in-character. Wasn't he always the more mild mannered one? I'd understand if this was Wolverine or something, but Scott just doesn't seem like he'd do this. It seems somewhat forced.

Every single person's ego is in an ever changing state of flux. Of course he is going to change. IF a character is being written the exact same without changing, then that means that someone is not writing it correctly. Our egos are fluid because each and every detail in our life we deal with, molds and changes our perceptions. So for a guy who has been charged and repeatedly told that he is in charge of the welfare of the mutant-race, while they are being annihilated, beaten, tortured, and generally preyed upon, how do you think that would mold him. Just for fun lets throw in the man who generally told him to be good to all species and to respect them equally, spent years mentally brainwashing and altering most of the students. Which cracks me up because everyone talks about following Xavier's path but he was shown to be pretty despicable.

#30 Posted by benette_rivera (55 posts) - - Show Bio

from what issue are those scans? never read xmen before

#31 Posted by hyenascar (192 posts) - - Show Bio

@kagato:

Every new country, including United States, were terrorists at one point because we did not follow our "government."(England at the time) Stop throwing words around because you think the added affect makes you sound like your qualified in your anger of said individuals written treatment. Martin Luther King and Malcolm X were also both labeled terrorists, in their day. More so Malcolm X, but some called King a terrorist for inciting crowds. Similar to Scott for obvious reasons.

This is a story of extremes. Its about a guy who was generally kicked around his whole life, and for some part maybe feels a little guilty for not taking a stronger stance before. That his earlier actions could have saved many lives. In the end it is still a story. Probably the story I am most excited to see where it goes.

#32 Edited by hyenascar (192 posts) - - Show Bio

So thanks to G-Man for writing on this topic. Its fun reading and writing about this topic. I bet it always moves numbers on page views quite radically. Regardless of anyone's views, people are very strong on their beliefs in this category.

Plus, what has made me collect the x-men, is the ever changing personalities of the x-men as they are put through their personal tests. I don't always love how each character develops, but as long as the writer gives a solid reason for their developments I truly enjoy seeing where they go.

Also, G-man, you commented of Kitty not being used with her ninja background. I had heard at one time, actually i think i read, and I agree that they wanted to separate from that because of her not wanting to kill. Ninjas did whatever they could to kill. We have glorified ninjas into these ultimate fighting machines, but they were dirty and were the first guerrilla tacticians. They hid in the shadows and waited to strike so that their victims wouldn't get a chance to fight back. Poisoned weapons, death traps, blinding enemies, etc, etc. (Sorry I've seen too many history channel documents) So maybe we could see a war torn version of this Kitty.(A gimmicky alternate world ninja Kitty Pride?) I could be completely off base, but that's what I recall.

#33 Posted by DeviousBastard (136 posts) - - Show Bio

"Elite"?

#34 Posted by Lvenger (19344 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick said:

This is so wrong.

QFT. This has just increased my hatred for Cyclops now. Acting as judge, jury and executioner isn't something Cyclops has any right to do. He's literally taken a U turn in terms of personality and I despise this new Cyclops with a passion.

#35 Posted by Grimoire (538 posts) - - Show Bio

@FoxxFireArt said:

Thanks to Scarlet Witch's personal issues. The mutant race was cut down to a little over 200, and no more new mutants were being born. I believe that was revealed X-MEN SUPERNOVAS. Sentinels were placed surrounding the school for their "protection". The very machines that were designed to wipe them out.

Many of the depowered kids even became suicidal. It was then the Purifiers strike and killed many of the children. Where were the Avengers, Fantastic Four, Spider-man,...anyone? Did the Avengers, for lack of a better word, avenge the death of all those children? Did they do anything about the genocide on Genosha? At the time, Iron Man was still trying to get them to join the Initiative, but that meant registering. Well, Tony got other thrown by Norman Osborn and started Dark Reign.

Cyclops then took them off shore so they were no longer under Osborn's government takeover. That still wasn't going to stop the Purifiers from wiping them out while their numbers were so few. They had no more soldiers to recruit and train. All there was to do was to teach the children to fight. No one was going to help protect them. It's not as if any of the grand minds of the Marvel universe were doing anything to help the X-Men find some other path to reignite the X-gene. Was Cyclops just suppose to keep them isolated and hope really hard and the Purifiers didn't take another shot and kill more kids?

How is it very different than a small group of human survivors against a world of zombies? They're the minority, their numbers aren't growing anymore, there is a group out to kill them, and no one is coming to their aide until maybe after a lot of people die. When you're numbers are in the 200s, you don't have the luxury positive thinking.

@JohnnyGat said:

Limbo is Magik's domain I doubt those inmates have been executed. Trapped in eternal torture seems more plausible (which is worst though). And yes he does feel remorse for killing Xavier read AvX Consequences #2 where he and Logan have a chat. Does he regret killing Xavier? Yes. Does he regret the outcome of the situation? No.

And from the prisoners point of view you really think those guys that killed that mutant would be punished. Look at it this way those three were the same three that seemed to have a beef with the other mutant, those three had shown access to shanks in their initial encounter and attempt to harm both Cyke and the other guy, those three had shown that they were indeed racist against mutants.

Did you ever wonder how despite those things I've noted they were able to roam close enough to the people they've already made an attempt to kill and finish the job they started. The fact is that prison never really cared whether the two mutant prisoners lived or die they just wanted to show that they can be contained. The prison never took any precaution (key word "any") to ensure that the mutant prisoners had any safety at all.

The only crime Cyclops did throughout this whole situation is letting all the prisoners out of that prison for the Avengers and the authorities to catch them. The only crimes he committed during AvX was only when he had been fully possessed by the Phoenix otherwise he has no crimes that can't be argued.

This.

#36 Edited by gui22 (383 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: Wolverine has been trying to not cross that line anymore, and he's working on teaching younger mutants that it's not right to kill arbitrarily like that.

#38 Posted by G-Man (32556 posts) - - Show Bio

@benette_rivera: The second and third are from AVX: CONSEQUENCES #5. The others are from ALL-NEW X-MEN out this week (there's a ton of preview images all over the internet). The last is for the cover of the upcoming UNCANNY X-MEN relaunch.

Staff
#39 Posted by thiagosantos (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't understand why Cyclops doing what he's been doing is such a taboo - especially for people who doesn't even like the character. I never saw a discussion about Wolverine's murders. He kills for a living, ran a squad of assassins - who killed a child -, even after Cyclops said they should stop. Even that "Schism" bullshit: Wolverine was always fond of training young women for battle, such as Kitty Pride, Jubilee and Armor; the X-Men never got a hold of what kind of dangers the New Mutants had to face while Cyclops was away and they were led by Magneto!

The only problem I see with this new fase is that it turned a few characters such as Wolverine and Captain America into hypocrite! AvX and all the destruction it caused would've never happenned had Capitain America refrained from intervene on Cyclops plans (Hope would've gotten the Phoenix Power and reestablished the mutant population, as it happened in the end). Why isn't anybody questioning Captain Americas actions - which was clearly inspired by the invasion of US army on Middle East searching for mass destruction weapons that never existed. AvX and its consequences could be much more than just "Cyclops was right or wrong".

#40 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@kagato: I'm glad that at least one other person in this discussion group feels the same.

#41 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33062 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: Wolverine has been trying to not cross that line anymore, and he's working on teaching younger mutants that it's not right to kill arbitrarily like that.

But he still does it though. Wolverines whole deal was that he made the hard decisions so no one else had to, he killed so others didn't. That's what Cyk does.

#42 Posted by AlKusanagi (602 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Force needs to put this mad dog out of its misery.

#43 Posted by desmond006 (596 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the new cyclops. hes almost halfway in between magneto an wolverine.

People have have been complaining about Cyclops being stale and boring for years and marvel finally decides to do something new with him and what do u know, people hate it.

#44 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6248 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah ... something about the way he tosses around the word 'elite' makes me see the 'X' symbol he wears turn into a Swastika.

#45 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate the new cyclops. Boy do i wish joss whedon was writing x-men again. His portrayal of Scott was fantastic.

#46 Posted by thiagosantos (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@desmond006: I couldn't agree more. Am I crazy or it doesn't make any sense? It seems there be some kind of prejudice against the character that makes people hate him no matter what - even when he acts exactly as those characters everybody loves!

#47 Posted by UltraBiel (328 posts) - - Show Bio

If I were in Cyclops position I would do the same!

#48 Posted by whitelantern64 (94 posts) - - Show Bio

@thiagosantos: I think no one questions captain America because this is America and with Cap's symbology to this country, to question him would be the equivalent of questioning America. Especially because (correct me if I'm wrong) Rodgers is the only captain America with bucky still dead (he is still dead right?) So there can't be 2 sides where one cap agrees and the other disagrees. So to side step the issue that America might have been wrong, they choose to focus on cyclops whose never really taken a hard definite stance on anything as a character.

#49 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops may once again become heroic...but it doesn't matter.

You can't do what he's done and expect the world (humans and mutants) to embrace you. He's been a maniac.

#50 Posted by The Stegman (23974 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh, I don't want to get into this whole "Was Cyclops right?" debate, I swear, it's one more annoying thing that came from AvX

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.