Redemption?

• 111 results
#1 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

From the teasers for AVX #7 "Cyclops changes the game with these three words: 'No More Avengers!" AVX #8 "Last stand in Wakanda as an out-of-control Namor invades this sovereign nation in pursuit of the Avengers!" AVX #9 "Their numbers dwindling, the Avengers stage a daring raid on the X-Men's prison to rescue their captive members" and AVX #10 "Time is running out as the Avengers are cornered in their last stronghold!" it seems as though marvel is turning Cyclops into the villain of the series.

My question to you is do you think that there is a chance of redemption left for Scott or will he become a villain with his character destroyed forever like the teasers suggest? Also if there is a chance of redemption how do you think it will come?

#2 Posted by God_Spawn (38088 posts) - - Show Bio

No. For the last time, Marvel is not going to make him a villain.

#3 Posted by oviouslyjeangrey (400 posts) - - Show Bio

IF he is going to kill all the avengers then he is evil now no redemption in my opinion.

Wait is wolverine and avenger cuz it would be nice to see him disappear

#4 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn:By villain I don't necessarily mean that he will go around killing people, trying to conquer the world etc. But it seems as though he will even be hated by heroes after this event and will be regarded as a new brotherhood whether he wants to or not.

#5 Posted by God_Spawn (38088 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2: Again, the answer is no. This event is basically Civil War + House of M in away except entirely crappy writing. Did Iron Man come across as the bad guy in that event? Yes. Did he stay a villain? No. Did people hate him for awhile after? Probably. Did it stop him from being a hero? No. It's the same thing with Cyclops. By the end of this event I predict everything will be all settled and things will go back to how they were.

#6 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@Osian2: Again, the answer is no. This event is basically Civil War + House of M in away except entirely crappy writing. Did Iron Man come across as the bad guy in that event? Yes. Did he stay a villain? No. Did people hate him for awhile after? Probably. Did it stop him from being a hero? No. It's the same thing with Cyclops. By the end of this event I predict everything will be all settled and things will go back to how they were.

Don't forget they will shuffle the team rosters. Marvel loves doing that every three months >_>

#7 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

No. For the last time, Marvel is not going to make him a villain.

Do you really have that much faith in Marvel? Gillen maybe but Marvel as an organization with the Architects at the reins?

#8 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor: @god_spawn: @Osian2: So long as Cykes isn't killed off, however, I see him being on shaky grounds with the superhero community as a whole, however, given how little help the X-Men as a whole have received from the superhero community I don't see Scott losing much sleep over the ordeal. To that I say good for him. I like the idea of him as a leader who thinks outside the box and in some ways a foil to other leaders of Marvel's superhero leaders.

#9 Posted by God_Spawn (38088 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor: I wrote these reasons in another thread and for the most part I feel the same.

• X-Men are one of Marvel's biggest franchises and Gillen has been writing them as one of the best books that is being shipped out. No way is Marvel going to ruin that. Emma and Scott are also one of the biggest couples making the series even more popular. Marvel may have subpar writers at times but they aren't stupid about turning away a cash cow hence why they try and ship out as many X titles as possible.
  • They are all heroes. Scott may go nuts one day but that doesn't mean the rest of the X-Men will. Emma is no longer a villain, Magneto is no longer a villain and the same goes for the rest. They were brought up on certain ideas and even on the brink of extinction they are still fighting the good fight (not technically now since this is a cheap Civil War like event.) . Cyclops may be a bit darker now and will kill bad guys when necessary and if all else fails, but guess what? So will Cap which he has done before. In the end of this I still see it like this

@god_spawn said:

#10 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@BlackArmor: I wrote these reasons in another thread and for the most part I feel the same.

• X-Men are one of Marvel's biggest franchises and Gillen has been writing them as one of the best books that is being shipped out. No way is Marvel going to ruin that. Emma and Scott are also one of the biggest couples making the series even more popular. Marvel may have subpar writers at times but they aren't stupid about turning away a cash cow hence why they try and ship out as many X titles as possible.
  • They are all heroes. Scott may go nuts one day but that doesn't mean the rest of the X-Men will. Emma is no longer a villain, Magneto is no longer a villain and the same goes for the rest. They were brought up on certain ideas and even on the brink of extinction they are still fighting the good fight (not technically now since this is a cheap Civil War like event.) . Cyclops may be a bit darker now and will kill bad guys when necessary and if all else fails, but guess what? So will Cap which he has done before. In the end of this I still see it like this

@god_spawn said:

Trust in the GS.

#11 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@god_spawn said:

@god_spawn said:

Trust in the GS.

god_spawn has allot of good points of course but as awesome as Cyke is he doesn't make the X-men a great seller or else he would be a member in more than one book and Gillen probably won't quit if they make him kill Cyclops,non-comic readers tend not to like him, I was actually booed at one point for saying that he was my favorite X-men, with Wolverine (randomly and unconvincingly) set up as a X-men leader I can easily see Marvel watering at the mouth at the idea of putting him charge of the X-men and I can see them sacrificing Cyclops to do it even though I don't think think the entire extinction team would go with him

#12 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@god_spawn said:

@god_spawn said:

Trust in the GS.

god_spawn has allot of good points of course but as awesome as Cyke is he doesn't make the X-men a great seller or else he would be a member in more than one book and Gillen probably won't quit if they make him kill Cyclops,non-comic readers tend not to like him, I was actually booed at one point for saying that he was my favorite X-men, with Wolverine (randomly and unconvincingly) set up as a X-men leader I can easily see Marvel watering at the mouth at the idea of putting him charge of the X-men and I can see them sacrificing Cyclops to do it even though I don't think think the entire extinction team would go with him

Agreed also stories where heroes fall to the dark side always seem to get a positive response from fans if done well just look at the dark angel saga.

#13 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@god_spawn said:

@god_spawn said:

Trust in the GS.

And yet Uncanny X-Men has outsold Wolverine and the X-Men.

#14 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@BlackArmor said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@god_spawn said:

@god_spawn said:

Trust in the GS.

WATX seems like more of a comedy book with a light hearted tone though where it's all about the students where as uncanny seems to be telling the actual stories so it's more about the purpose of the book that draws readers not just Cyke's influence

#15 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger: Okay good point, I still don't trust Marvel to see Cyke as a necessary part of the X-men but I hope you guys are right about them being smart enough to not kill him

#16 Edited by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2 said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@BlackArmor said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@god_spawn said:

@god_spawn said:

Trust in the GS.

WATX seems like more of a comedy book with a light hearted tone though where it's all about the students where as uncanny seems to be telling the actual stories so it's more about the purpose of the book that draws readers not just Cyke's influence

Oh definitely, but it's arguable that Cyclops' viewpoint for the X-Men is an influence in why fans are picking up the book. I had a conversation with a friend of mine about this recently, he argued that the whole purpose behind Schism was for Marvel to see where fans wanted the direction of the X-Men to go. Did they want more light-hearted action with Jason Aaron's WatXM? Or did they want more classic X-Men story-driven action with Kieron Gillen's Uncanny? Team Cyclops seems to be winning out, if only slightly. Besides, Uncanny is based ENTIRELY around Cyclops's plans for the Extinction Team, having him go villain or die seems pretty counter-productive so early on in the title.

#17 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4835 posts) - - Show Bio

@oviouslyjeangrey: Do you think Magneto, Scarlett Witch, or Jean Grey deserve redemption?

just curious.

(+)

#18 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger:Hopefully you're right and Cyclops will be around for some time to come but Marvel has disappointed me before :(

#19 Posted by God_Spawn (38088 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2: And look where Warren sits now. Not so long after that he was good again albeit changes. As I said before, this event, it's basically Civil War 2.0. Cykes is in the position where Iron Man was. Yes things will probably be shaky afterwards but he isn't going bad and things will correct themselves eventually when all is said and done.

@BlackArmor: I can see where Cyclops doesn't sell well compared to Wolverine but the point is the X-Men are a team book. Cyclops and Emma as a couple are very popular, the whole team itself is very popular and with that team Cyclops sells well. And the separation between both teams, despite being caused by a sh*tty story, responded well and still does. The separate books are doing well and the WATXM is still going on and does have future plans to go on as well. Bringing Wolverine back to UXM defeats the purpose of it and thus most likely will not happen considering how well both books are doing with their respective cast. I know different possibilities still exist but I'm trying to gear up towards what I feel like will most likely happen.

#20 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3583 posts) - - Show Bio

@oviouslyjeangrey: i like ur new picture :)

#21 Edited by God_Spawn (38088 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger: Good point buddy.

@BlackArmor said:

@ApatheticAvenger: Okay good point, I still don't trust Marvel to see Cyke as a necessary part of the X-men but I hope you guys are right about them being smart enough to not kill him

I feel like I will be, but I can't say anything is set in stone in comics. It's not like I'm playing roulette and betting on blue though.

#22 Posted by XsPectre28 (726 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe it is time for scott to change the game.... i mean when u think X-men Who are the first names that pop in your head...... Cyclops as a bad guy would be good because he has lead the x-men for so many years & to turn on them now would be good...... i mean look at his team....all former villians & or emotionally detached except for Storm.

Cyclops, Emma, Magneto, Namor, Colossus, Magik, Danger........ I See New Brotherhood Of Evil Mutants Written All Over It....... Maybe Magneto Wont Go But the idea alone is good & that would give Schism more meaning because this is its end result. Jean would return 7 she & Wolverine Will Become The Leaders Of The X-men With Storm & Maybe Magneto as Seconds In Command under Logan As Jean Becomes The Headmistress.

#23 Posted by God_Spawn (38088 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe I should take the Fade approach to things now?

#24 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

Because its not like everyone important in the X-Men universe is in that book. Meanwhile, WATX gets Wolverine, Iceman and... Kitty?

@god_spawn said:

Maybe I should take the Fade approach to things now?

Surprised you have't started. It much more cost-effective.

#25 Posted by MadRooster81 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see what Cyclops is doing as "bad". Just because he disagrees with the Avengers doesn't make him a villain in this story. I mean the guy is doing what he thinks is right for team. It's the same situation Iron Man was in during Civil War. It seems the preview is hinting that the X-Men will be taking the Avengers down. I more or less see this as Marvel Cleaning up an already big Avenger team and hopefully redesigning it after AvX. When it is all said and done, Cyclops will still be leading the X-Men. I don't see him being a Villain.

#26 Posted by God_Spawn (38088 posts) - - Show Bio

@cjbostick81 said:

I don't see what Cyclops is doing as "bad". Just because he disagrees with the Avengers doesn't make him a villain in this story. I mean the guy is doing what he thinks is right for team. It's the same situation Iron Man was in during Civil War. It seems the preview is hinting that the X-Men will be taking the Avengers down. I more or less see this as Marvel Cleaning up an already big Avenger team and hopefully redesigning it after AvX. When it is all said and done, Cyclops will still be leading the X-Men. I don't see him being a Villain.

Agreed.

#27 Edited by DATNIGGA (1203 posts) - - Show Bio
New Event with sinster

@Osian2:

hes still saving lives even after Avx... while fighting sinster

#28 Posted by God_Spawn (38088 posts) - - Show Bio

@DATNIGGA: The heard the Sinister arc is supposed to go for another up until issue 17 as far as I know of for now and will be an AvX tie in. So it is still part of the event not after.

#29 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

Yup...that's just comics everybody. NOTHING MATTERS IN SUPERHERO COMICS!!! For better or worse, folk.

#30 Posted by God_Spawn (38088 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonesDeini: Hmm not sure which part you are agreeing with me on this? Lol. I'm guessing the last statement that everything ends up being hunky dory at the end?

#31 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate Marvel.......

#32 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: I'm agreeing with all of it, folk. You hit the nail on the head.

#33 Posted by God_Spawn (38088 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonesDeini: Thx. I try to every time.

#34 Posted by Lokheit (492 posts) - - Show Bio

After reading AvX 5, nothing done after that would make him a villian no matter what he does.

#35 Posted by God_Spawn (38088 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lokheit said:

After reading AvX 5, nothing done after that would make him a villian no matter what he does.

Commits massive genocide of all of Earth' inhabitants cause he wants a Mutopia?

#36 Edited by Lokheit (492 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@Lokheit said:

Commits massive genocide of all of Earth' inhabitants cause he wants a Mutopia?

He's now possesed. That wasn't even his voice as it coordinated with the other 4 voices. Anything he does from now is the Phoenix. If he takes the blame, then Wolverine takes the blame for every single time he has been possesed resulting in multiple assassinations. And Daredevil too for Shadowland.

Nothing he has done until now is too big to make him a villian, he didn't attack a single human except for the avengers that went to his home to claim Hope suddenly deciding they were going to manage mutants affairs when they didn't move a finger for them before.

And whatever happens now can even be atributed to the avengers for experimenting with the PF (Tony and Hank had a discussion about not knowing what would happen and comparing it to the kamikazes), resulting on it taking 5 hosts.

I think what happened was cool and unespected, but it's an obvious plot device to redeem all of them for whatever comes next, so the entire arc will have lesser repercussions because of the "was possesed" plot device that is becoming so popular.

#37 Posted by God_Spawn (38088 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lokheit: I wasn't being serious, lol.

#38 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

He's possessed?

Wow.

#39 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

From what ?

He's just the new Marvel um..D-bag, like Iron man was a couple years back, cause how dare you put Cap in the wrong.

we'll forget when the next event comes

#40 Posted by TDK_1997 (14983 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops would not become a villain.Marvel may make stupid event and have stupid ideas but they are not that dumb.

#41 Posted by Soulstealer (825 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonesDeini said:

@god_spawn: I'm agreeing with all of it, folk. You hit the nail on the head.

Co-signed. Also all of these discussions have been really interesting.

#42 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that Marvel will allow to let Cyclops be the villain since he is one of the important characters in the X-Men universe. This event will probably pass over and he'll be back.

#43 Posted by Z3RO180 (6613 posts) - - Show Bio

they cant kill thor cause he just came back

#44 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyke will be treated with an "arms length' approach

#45 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops will do a whole lot of questionable stuff and it will all be blamed on the Phoenix influence as a get out of jail free card. Just like Iron Man getting his memory regressed, neither are good reasons but the sheep will just accept it for the most part.

#46 Posted by God_Spawn (38088 posts) - - Show Bio

@Brazen_Intellect said:

Cyclops will do a whole lot of questionable stuff and it will all be blamed on the Phoenix influence as a get out of jail free card. Just like Iron Man getting his memory regressed, neither are good reasons but the sheep will just accept it for the most part.

Scapegoats ftw.

#47 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

Scapegoats ftw.

QFT

#48 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel doesn't have anything to gain by making him a villain.

But, hey, its Marvel. If there's one thing they're good at, its making bad business decisions.

#49 Posted by God_Spawn (38088 posts) - - Show Bio

He's in zealotry at this point IMO.

#50 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85 said:

Marvel doesn't have anything to gain by making him a villain.

But, hey, its Marvel. If there's one thing they're good at, its making bad business decisions.

At some level they must think they do

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.