Optic Blast

• 96 results
#1 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he once said it could cut through a small planet in once comic.

#2 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

How powerful is his optic blast at full power?

#3 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

damn thats powerful lol

#4 Posted by the creator (8577 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody says:

"I think he once said it could cut through a small planet in once comic."

To my knowledge it has never been shown to be that powerful.

It appears to be more powerful than Iron man's repulsors.

#5 Posted by Valkaad (2589 posts) - - Show Bio

The marvel universe says that he can knock over a filled 5000 gallon gallon tank truck at a distance of 20 feet.

That's around 80,000 pounds meaning he is hitting with sufficient force to knock over a 40 ton vehicle from 20 feet away. Just another reason why Cyclops is soooooo underrated.

#6 Posted by fesak (7061 posts) - - Show Bio

Didnt he blow away a whole mountain range in Secrwt Wars, or was it some other story?

#7 Posted by Valkaad (2589 posts) - - Show Bio

fesak says:

"Didnt he blow away a whole mountain range in Secrwt Wars, or was it some other story?"

I seem to remember that too. I don't remember which comic it was? Secret Wars (original) maybe?

I am not a cylcops fan at all, but I hate the fact that people think he is a chump. He hits a helluva lot harder than people give him credit for. ANYthing that is in his field of vision he can hit with "knock over 40 tons" power. He is, in my opinion, possibly the most underrated character in terms of power.

#8 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

An optic blast will mess you up like a car crash. It will knock you to the ground like a hurricane, it will rip your ass in two.

#9 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Valkaad says:

"fesak says:
"Didnt he blow away a whole mountain range in Secrwt Wars, or was it some other story?"
I seem to remember that too. I don't remember which comic it was? Secret Wars (original) maybe? I am not a cylcops fan at all, but I hate the fact that people think he is a chump. He hits a helluva lot harder than people give him credit for. ANYthing that is in his field of vision he can hit with "knock over 40 tons" power. He is, in my opinion, possibly the most underrated character in terms of power."

I just checked my Secret Wars TPB. He didn't do that. The most he did was fire an optic blast into a volcano and cause a chain reaction to delay Galactus' devouring of the planet. He also fired the blast in a wide field. He fired it once before through a tall stone structure.

#10 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

Valkaad says:

"fesak says:
I seem to remember that too. I don't remember which comic it was? Secret Wars (original) maybe? I am not a cylcops fan at all, but I hate the fact that people think he is a chump. He hits a helluva lot harder than people give him credit for. ANYthing that is in his field of vision he can hit with "knock over 40 tons" power. He is, in my opinion, possibly the most underrated character in terms of power."

I agree with you. I always thought it odd that so many people disliked his character to such a degree. I guess it was the fact that everyone was always backing Wolverine in the little love triangle they had going.

#11 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

Forever says:

"Valkaad says:
"fesak says:
I agree with you. I always thought it odd that so many people disliked his character to such a degree. I guess it was the fact that everyone was always backing Wolverine in the little love triangle they had going."

cyclops is alright with me i just didn't like him and emma dating

#12 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Copy says:

"Forever says:
"Valkaad says:
"fesak says:
I agree with you. I always thought it odd that so many people disliked his character to such a degree. I guess it was the fact that everyone was always backing Wolverine in the little love triangle they had going."
cyclops is alright with me i just didn't like him and emma dating "

I just don't like Cyclops. Something about his character.

#13 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Cyclops, he was probably the first character in the X-Men I liked. Only problem is, since I read the Physics of Superheroes, I know that every optic blast should take his head off. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

#14 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"I like Cyclops, he was probably the first character in the X-Men I liked. Only problem is, since I read the *Physics of Superheroes*, I know that every optic blast should take his head off. *For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.*"

Neuton's law...

#15 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's Newton's Third Law paraphrased.

#16 Posted by Knightwing (333 posts) - - Show Bio

Eternal Chaos says:

"Cosmic Sentinel says:
"I like Cyclops, he was probably the first character in the X-Men I liked. Only problem is, since I read the *Physics of Superheroes*, I know that every optic blast should take his head off. *For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.*"

Neuton's law..."

He probably has some kind of organ at the back of his head to absorb the force, after all he is a mutant and that means they are supposed to evolve to adapt to situations. When he is releasing half his full power, it causes him pain because even though you have a shock absorbing organ your skull still have to absorb some of the force.

Wow, I said all that but I still got a C in Physics.

#17 Posted by EpicNinja (231 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott's head isn't ripped off for one reason, lol

1. Scott is immune to his own power so his body absorbs the energy.

Scott's eyes "acts as an inter-dimensional apertures between this universe and another." -Marvel.com-

In my mind that means the force is being released from his eyes and moves forward. "...it automatically shunts the other-dimensional particles back into their point of origin when they collide with his body." -Marvel.com-

Back on topic.

Slim's Optic Blast has never been measured just witnessed. Its been says he holds back regardless of who he is fighting because he is afraid of what may happen if he lets loose. In my personal opinion I believe it relies on how much energy his body has stored.

Post Edited:2008-02-07 19:06:51

#19 Posted by Akira Overdrive (10077 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes it is...

#21 Posted by Akira Overdrive (10077 posts) - - Show Bio

aztek_the_lost says:

"Akira Overdrive says:
"Yes it is..."

Cyclops has tried before and Sinister just completely reformed himself proving that the optic blast was pointless against him"

He holds back..

#22 Posted by EpicNinja (231 posts) - - Show Bio

Well that depends on what you mean by Kill. It certainly has enough power do dismantle Sinister's body, which would certainly kill most anyone else. But Sinister has the ability to reform his body.

#24 Posted by Akira Overdrive (10077 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes it does..

#27 Posted by Akira Overdrive (10077 posts) - - Show Bio

Hold up..

Who the Fu*k do you think you are calling me pathetic?Homie you must have sh!t twisted,your the only pathetic one here.

#28 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody says:

Yeah...but he's too much of a wuss to do that lol

#29 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

The hardest i've seen from cyclops is destroying apocalypse with a sinlge blast knocking him out and the other is when he busted a whole threw onslaughts armor. He also said to cain marko the juggernaut that he could hit him with the force of a small planet. Cyclops may never be able to use it to his full ability due to the strain it would cause to his body but he can still pack a punch.

#30 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody says:

whatever!

#31 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

aztek_the_lost says:

"EpicNinja says:
"Well that depends on what you mean by Kill. It certainly has enough power do dismantle Sinister's body, which would certainly kill most anyone else. But Sinister has the ability to reform his body. "

exactly, I never said it couldn't kill, I said it couldn't kill Sinister (and yet just a touch of Rogue's skin killed him)"

Rogue had the Strain 88 virus.

Moderator Online
#33 Posted by EpicNinja (231 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyhow....Cyclops Optic Blast is very powerful lol That doesn't mean though it can destroy everything.

#35 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

aztek_the_lost says:

"exactly it can't do a thing to Sinister, Alex or Gabriel and I'm sure there's many others I'm not rememberingso even if his blast is very powerful, the point is every mutant in the Marvel Universe is just as powerful (I do know that not everyone is, I'm just pointing out that many of them are)"

Not really lol cause we all know mutants usually come in lvls cyclops may not be at the highest lvl but theirs no doubt hes strong but you can't say cyclops and hyperstorm are at the same lvl right?? Hyperstorm could feed galactus lol.

#38 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"aztek_the_lost says:
"EpicNinja says:
"Well that depends on what you mean by Kill. It certainly has enough power do dismantle Sinister's body, which would certainly kill most anyone else. But Sinister has the ability to reform his body. "
exactly, I never said it couldn't kill, I said it couldn't kill Sinister (and yet just a touch of Rogue's skin killed him)"
Rogue had the Strain 88 virus. "

Which is.....

#39 Posted by EpicNinja (231 posts) - - Show Bio

zee crusher says:

"aztek_the_lost says:
"exactly it can't do a thing to Sinister, Alex or Gabriel and I'm sure there's many others I'm not rememberingso even if his blast is very powerful, the point is every mutant in the Marvel Universe is just as powerful (I do know that not everyone is, I'm just pointing out that many of them are)"

Not really lol cause we all know mutants usually come in lvls cyclops may not be at the highest lvl but theirs no doubt hes strong but you can't say cyclops and hyperstorm are at the same lvl right?? Hyperstorm could feed galactus lol."

Well there is no official ranking system to say what the Potential of a Mutant is. They use the level "label" very loosely and have only described a select few characters with it. Vulcan, Chamber, Storm, and Jean Grey have all been referred to as Omega-Level or Possible Omega-Level Mutants... But no one has defined what that is. Most of Scott's edge in battle is not his Optic Blast, or his mutant level. It is ability to think on his feet and act just as fast. He is an amazing Tactician, and can accomplish most things by thinking it through. If you've ever read Uncanny X-Men #175 he takes on half the X-men (Including Storm, Wolverine and Colossus) alone with broken ribs. That made Cyke my hero XD lol
Post Edited:2008-02-07 22:41:32

#40 Posted by DragonGateAcer (5400 posts) - - Show Bio

his blasts can overload bishop and he himself said he has enough power to split a small planet but he never uses the full extent of his powers because of fear the damage he will cause.

#41 Posted by mgrman5 (590 posts) - - Show Bio

his optic blasts couldn't beat the Hulk. Sucks. Hulk is not Scott.

#42 Posted by danhimself (22630 posts) - - Show Bio

ok here's my problem with his optic blast....it can split a small planet but when he looses his visor he rips off a piece of his shirt and covers his eyes and that works fine...or how is it when he's just wearing his sun glasses that his blast aren't spilling out around the glasses...his power is always on...if he has his eyes closed then his power is blasting away at the inside of his eyelids

#43 Posted by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio

We do not know the true full extent of Cyclops power. He even stated that he was not sure his power only comes out of his eyes.

#44 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
danhimself said:
or how is it when he's just wearing his sun glasses that his blast aren't spilling out around the glasses...his power is always on...if he has his eyes closed then his power is blasting away at the inside of his eyelids"
Maybe he keeps his eyes forward

idk
#45 Posted by DFChewie (150 posts) - - Show Bio
Copy said:
"

How powerful is his optic blast at full power?

"
when Cyclops was taken over by Johnny Dee, and was firing at his full power, Iron Man measured his output at about 2 Giga watts, which is the yearly output of a small nuclear reactor. so... they're damn powerful.
(all occurred in Civil War: X-Men.)
#46 Posted by wolverine9981 (205 posts) - - Show Bio

here's my dumb question. if scotty has all this awesome power how come the force of the blast(not the blast themselves) doesnt push his glasses of his face?

#47 Posted by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio
wolverine9981 said:
"here's my dumb question. if scotty has all this awesome power how come the force of the blast(not the blast themselves) doesnt push his glasses of his face?"
The ruby quartz visor diffuses the optic blasts.
#48 Posted by Cyclops3000 (19 posts) - - Show Bio

well, he has a useful but dangerous power, but he's not that underated

#49 Posted by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio
Cyclops3000 said:
"well, he has a useful but dangerous power, but he's not that underated"
Yes he is. People do not respect his power. 
#50 Posted by John Valentine (16313 posts) - - Show Bio
erik said:
"Cyclops3000 said:
"well, he has a useful but dangerous power, but he's not that underated"
Yes he is. People do not respect his power. 
"

He's one of the most underated characters in the MU.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.