New cyclops ability?

#1 Posted by samuel_larson_10 (283 posts) - - Show Bio

So other than being a leader cyke's powers are pretty uninteresting, but I was inspired by this:

looks like the beam is warping right? So suppose Cyke gained the ability to alter the beam's pathway, allowing him to twist and turn it at will. It would make an effective shield and weapon that way, optimally he still wouldn't have perfect control. What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Marvel should mess with his powers, but it isn't a bad idea to allow him to manipulate his beams abit more.

#3 Posted by God_Spawn (37683 posts) - - Show Bio

So turn them into the omega beams in a way?

#4 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

If they moved like the Omega Beams that would be pretty cool.

#5 Posted by tensor (4154 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they read some superman comics an said lets copy that an do it with Cyclops

#6 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@tensor said:

I think they read some superman comics an said lets copy that an do it with Cyclops

They did that to Cyclops in Ultimate X-Men before he died.

#7 Posted by samuel_larson_10 (283 posts) - - Show Bio

@tensor said:

I don't get what you mean, but if you are talking about cyclops's powers, well, cyclops's powers are completely different from superman's. For one cyclops can't control it, two it's not heat it's kinetic energy, three the blast's source is another dimension.

@god_spawn said:

yes but less extreme. Like I said Ideally he would just bend the direction it moves a little bit.

#8 Posted by COBRAMORPH (1554 posts) - - Show Bio

@samuel_larson_10 said:

@tensor said:

I don't get what you mean, but if you are talking about cyclops's powers, well, cyclops's powers are completely different from superman's. For one cyclops can't control it, two it's not heat it's kinetic energy, three the blast's source is another dimension.

@god_spawn said:

yes but less extreme. Like I said Ideally he would just bend the direction it moves a little bit.

A: Its like Rogue's powers, it could be controlled, he just can not control it. Also that energy source being another dimension is a stupid idea, dont Havok & Vulcan just absorb some form of regular radiation? Its stupid things like that that make comic books just too "out there" for mundanes.

B: As it has to do with his eyes, YES I think he should be able to control that the beams can strike anywere in his range of vision, although the wider the path of destruction, the less force of energy a particular area gets.

C: Its not gaining another ability, its gaining greater control over the ability he already has. Besides, he has leadership skills, energy beams from his eyes, & the ability to bed hot psychic females, is immune to Havok's powers, can harm Mr Sinister, I dont think he needs any more abilities.

#9 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

@samuel_larson_10 said:

@tensor said:

@god_spawn said:

@COBRAMORPH: To both of you: Cobra's right, it's not from another dimension. Cyclops and Havoc's powers are both fueled by solar radiation. Which they absorb, and redirect in other ways. As for him not controlling it, it's not a problem of him learning new tricks to do it, he's physically handicapped from controlling it. In the plane crash that supposedly killed his mother and father, Scott took a hit to the head that damaged the part of his brain that would, when he got older, allow him to control his optic blasts. Why he never sought out help for this brain damage, I don't know.

#10 Posted by God_Spawn (37683 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith: He isn't right about it being solar radiation. It was retconned sometime ago and if he thinks it's stupid, fine, doesn't change the fact about how his powers operate now.

#11 Edited by Dernman (14949 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a of fan of Scott but it's his character that  I care about. I'm ok with his power staying the way it is. Thing is though if that is Cyclops in the promo. His powers just might change. 

#12 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Actually, he didn't suggest it was solar radiation. That was my information. Which appears to be outdated, according to your testimony. Mind telling me how and why they got retconned?

#13 Posted by God_Spawn (37683 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: Wanna know what happens to Cyke?

Alonso has spoiled it twice and so has Bendis that Cyclops does indeed survive AvX. And Immonen pointed out that the 05 X-Men will keep their costumes for the time being (at least the first arc) before getting anything new if they do at all. So if it is 05clops then that outfit may not happen for like a year or not at all for him. I'd say it would point more towards the beginning of the M:Now if they would suggest a redesign.

Quoted from http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=39970

Are the five young X-Men the main characters in this series? Would you say the main X-Men we've had over recent years are, if not antagonists than at least side characters?
Alonso: I would say no. I'd say that the young characters and the current cast of the X-Men share time on the story. And there's a third entity I'm not allowed to talk about yet that will also share screen time. But the story is really about the effect of these young Lee and Kirby X-Men arriving in the present. It's both the story of young Jean Grey coming back and wondering why everybody is looking at her so weird, and it's the story of Logan and Cyclops coming to terms with the fact that this young girl, who they both fell in love with, is now back in some way, shape or form. That's what I think is going to make for such fascinating stories – dual perspectives on this development.
#14 Posted by God_Spawn (37683 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith: I don't remember why it got retconned it just did. I'll just copy a post from another page on optic blasts I made cause it is just long.

Cyclops' optic blasts stem from a separate universe where his eyes are portal to. His body automatically metabolizes solar energy that keeps the apertures open. Cyclops' body generates a psiconic field that helps keep them in check so when his eyes close, no energy leaks out. Cyclops' beams produce no heat, they are purely concussive force. They have been described as light speed in the past and have said so in multiple narrations. It is possible, like the power of his blasts, Cyclops can control the speed or he is seemingly aiming somewhere just near his opponent or his opponents are able to dodge his aim. It has also been stated the mechanics of his visor are much slower than light speed which also gives time for an opponent to dodge. Cyclops cannot access the full power of his blasts, he has an entire universe full of energy he can fire but due to human limitations, he gets tired and has almost killed himself when he was emitting energy at too high of an out put. Cyclops' blasts get weaker the wider they are yet he is perfectly capable of ripping apart trees and he doesn't need to go max to do so when they are wide. And Cyclops' blasts can ricochet.

#15 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@Dernman: Wanna know what happens to Cyke?

Alonso has spoiled it twice and so has Bendis that Cyclops does indeed survive AvX. And Immonen pointed out that the 05 X-Men will keep their costumes for the time being (at least the first arc) before getting anything new if they do at all. So if it is 05clops then that outfit may not happen for like a year or not at all for him. I'd say it would point more towards the beginning of the M:Now if they would suggest a redesign.

Quoted from http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=39970

Are the five young X-Men the main characters in this series? Would you say the main X-Men we've had over recent years are, if not antagonists than at least side characters?
Alonso: I would say no. I'd say that the young characters and the current cast of the X-Men share time on the story. And there's a third entity I'm not allowed to talk about yet that will also share screen time. But the story is really about the effect of these young Lee and Kirby X-Men arriving in the present. It's both the story of young Jean Grey coming back and wondering why everybody is looking at her so weird, and it's the story of Logan and Cyclops coming to terms with the fact that this young girl, who they both fell in love with, is now back in some way, shape or form. That's what I think is going to make for such fascinating stories – dual perspectives on this development.

I can see wolverine falling for a 17 year old teen jean grey.A couple of years difference is nothing to him when comparing a 150 year old man.

#16 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops hasn't really done anything interesting with his powers lately. Phoenix cyclops won't stay forever with him.

Ice Man can make clones of himself and freeze people inside out.

Jean Grey can change rearrange molecules and do interesting things with it such as turning a jacket into a picnic blanket.

Angel is Dark angel.

Beast is really smart, nothing change but he is smart so he can make inventions many times.

Cyclops had also been able to shoot optic blasts from his eyes, nothing really change.

#17 Posted by God_Spawn (37683 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700: Even Phoenix Cyclops' optic blasts haven't changed. Hell, Cap is blocking them from the teaser on AvX 11. But regardless, I don't think Scott needs to really change his powers. I mean Wolverine just heals and slashes things, doesn't take away anything from his character IMO. Scott's got varying degrees of blasts, ricochet effects and when he does let loose it is pretty damn cool.

#18 Posted by Dernman (14949 posts) - - Show Bio

Ug I really hope neither Logan or old Cyclops tries to get with Jean. I wonder if seeing the future breaks up old Scott and Jean. How the heck if this really is the original X-Men  does the 616 timeline not get changed. They have to eventually go back right? They what mind wipe them? Retcon the present? 

#19 Posted by God_Spawn (37683 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: They are here to stay and it shouldn't screw up the timeline from what I think Bendis said.

#20 Posted by JohnnyGat (1562 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: when it comes to these timeline issues I just assume the o5 X-men were from a similar alternate past and by that I mean a past where the only difference was that a British man named bob chose to put chili sauce instead of ketchup. I mean isn't that how the concept of alternate timelines work, one is born for every different choice and with that there should be an infinite amounts of earths, it's just that those with more prominent change get labeled like 616. So my view on this matter is that the title O5 only applies to the fact that they are the characters who are the O5 but not the exact ones from the 616's past.

As for the topic. I say no to it, my favorite Cyclops feats are the ones where he shows quick assessment of his surroundings and using that as his weapon since his eye beams are limited.

#21 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not that bothered that Cyclops doesn't use the full potential of his powers it just makes it all the more memorable when he does i.e. impressive ricochet shots and full power blasts. If you compare it to Wolverines power sure in a normal battle Logan is more impressive but when Cyke takes off that visor you know something cool is about to happen.

#22 Posted by samuel_larson_10 (283 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

@samuel_larson_10 said:

@tensor said:

@god_spawn said:

@COBRAMORPH: To both of you: Cobra's right, it's not from another dimension. Cyclops and Havoc's powers are both fueled by solar radiation. Which they absorb, and redirect in other ways. As for him not controlling it, it's not a problem of him learning new tricks to do it, he's physically handicapped from controlling it. In the plane crash that supposedly killed his mother and father, Scott took a hit to the head that damaged the part of his brain that would, when he got older, allow him to control his optic blasts. Why he never sought out help for this brain damage, I don't know.

that was what it was originally believed to be, however it was later revealed to be from another universe

#23 Posted by Degalon (737 posts) - - Show Bio

@samuel_larson_10: I'll be honest, that doesnt look like its warping. It just looks like he's turning his head while firing.

#24 Posted by daredevilfan777 (29 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it...change is good if done correctly.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.