Myths about Scott's Optic power

#1 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, it should be well known I'm not a big fan of Scott. Actually, I'm part of the 'Wolverine was right' fan-club of Schism, but I'm not here to troll - I just thought I'd be honest right from the bat. Now, I've seen a lot posts in the Battles section greatly exaggerating the power of his optic blasts, but I've NEVER seen a SINGLE scan to back these claims. 

So maybe you guys can help. Care to help settle some myths about Scott and help me understand the extent of his power? I'd LOVE to see some scans please, not just speculation. 

Thanks!

#2 Posted by Mercy_ (92709 posts) - - Show Bio

Get your ass in here.

#3 Posted by Saren (25690 posts) - - Show Bio

His heat vision is not on Superman's level. Or Darkseid's. It's not even that hot. Wolverine was totally walking through it in the Schism fight, even though Nitro's burned him down to a skeleton. Weaksauce, Scotty.

#4 Posted by Mercy_ (92709 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't have heat vision. The optic blasts are concussive force.

#5 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: Either Cyke wasn't going all out or it was PIS, Cyclops managed to Over load Bishop, can easily shred Sentinels and take down buildings. Wolverine taking a full on blast would be retarded. Just like to say I'm not a Scott fanboy, I don't like him or Wolverine at this point but facts are facts

#6 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

This, and that's the limit of my Cyclops optic blast knowledge. lol

#7 Posted by cattlebattle (12793 posts) - - Show Bio

Here is one of his best ones

#8 Posted by Saren (25690 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

@joshmightbe said:

@CitizenBane: Either Cyke wasn't going all out or it was PIS, Cyclops managed to Over load Bishop, can easily shred Sentinels and take down buildings. Wolverine taking a full on blast would be retarded. Just like to say I'm not a Scott fanboy, I don't like him or Wolverine at this point but facts are facts

The fact that I said it was heat vision didn't tell you I was joking?

#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: I've had at least a hundred similar arguments with Wolverine fanboys on here so my sarcasm detector no longer works were he is concerned

#10 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

Here is a scan of one of his bigger blasts.

Giant Blast; Destroys Brood
#11 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it true that he converts solar energy to produce his optic beams? Or did the thing I read make that up?

#12 Posted by God_Spawn (37908 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd need more specifics to know what you are looking for. Otherwise this is just another Cyclops power thread. So I'll just summarize what I can about his abilities and then you give me any specifics you want to find out.

Cyclops' optic blasts stem from a separate universe where his eyes are portal to. His body automatically metabolizes solar energy that keeps the apertures open. Cyclops' body generates a psiconic field that helps keep them in check so when his eyes close, no energy leaks out. Cyclops' beams produce no heat, they are purely concussive force. They have been described as light speed in the past and have said so in multiple narrations. It is possible, like the power of his blasts, Cyclops can control the speed or he is seemingly aiming somewhere just near his opponent or his opponents are able to dodge his aim. It has also been stated the mechanics of his visor are much slower than light speed which also gives time for an opponent to dodge. Cyclops cannot access the full power of his blasts, he has an entire universe full of energy he can fire but due to human limitations, he gets tired and has almost killed himself when he was emitting energy at too high of an out put. Cyclops' blasts get weaker the wider they are yet he is perfectly capable of ripping apart trees and he doesn't need to go max to do so when they are wide. And Cyclops' blasts can ricochet. A few of these scans have the properties I mentioned. Scan 1, no heat. Scan 2 ricochet. Scan 3 too high of an energy output. Scan 4 shredding trees. Scan 5 just a no visored blasted.

Cyclops' blasts are said to be able to punch through mountains, and they have and I'll throw in another no visor blast.

Any other scans will have to wait til tomorrow when I get my regular computer that has all my files.

Moderator Online
#13 Edited by God_Spawn (37908 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Is it true that he converts solar energy to produce his optic beams? Or did the thing I read make that up?

It used to be that. It was changed to that he converts solar energy into regular energy that opens up the portals that his eyes make up to the non Einsteinien universe where his optic blast energy resides.

Moderator Online
#14 Posted by Mercy_ (92709 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

@joshmightbe said:

NO D:

#15 Posted by God_Spawn (37908 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

@CitizenBane said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

@joshmightbe said:

NO D:

It's cause it's Rainy's thread.

Moderator Online
#16 Posted by Mercy_ (92709 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

@CitizenBane said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

@joshmightbe said:

NO D:

It's cause it's Rainy's thread.

It all makes sense now.

#17 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

You're going to have to be specific in terms of what claims you want backed up. GS has given a great description of Cyclops' power and multiple scans that back them up, did that answer all your questions or were there specific instances you wanted to see scans for?

#18 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

I want someone to draw a picture of Cyke one shotting a mountain, just to prove he can do it

#19 Posted by cattlebattle (12793 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

I want someone to draw a picture of Cyke one shotting a mountain, just to prove he can do it

I'm pretty sure a comic artist has drawn it...mainly because he has actually done it
#20 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@BlackArmor said:

I'm pretty sure a comic artist has drawn it...mainly because he has actually done it

Really? Every time I see someone use that at as an example of his power someone else always says that he was just exaggerating to scare Sinister, I've never actually seen him do it, but I want to got a scan

#21 Posted by cattlebattle (12793 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

@cattlebattle said:

@BlackArmor said:

Really? Every time I see someone use that at as an example of his power someone else always says that he was just exaggerating to scare Sinister, I've never actually seen him do it, but I want to got a scan

yeah, that is his "go to" example, but I don't know what came first...the actual feat, or the saying.. 

He did it in X-Men the hidden years, he actually punches through a mountain to make a path, I' sure if he took off his visor an looked at a mountain it would be rubble
#22 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Thanks, I'll see if I can find that

#23 Posted by cattlebattle (12793 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

I can post the scan if you want...I'm just saying the context isn't impressive as it sounds, he is clearing a path through a mountain to save peoples lives while getting advice form his fellow X-Men on the trajectory of where to fire. It's not like he is disintegrating a mountain while boasting "F*ck You Nature!!" or anything like that
#24 Posted by Onihana (122 posts) - - Show Bio

wiki: Two Gigawatts is about half the peak power output of the Doel Nuclear Power Plant and when Cyclops released this much energy he exceeded his control over his optic beam, can get scan if wanted.

Now, how this is measured or/and converted into concussive force or how long it takes him to reach this output is not clear as of right now. So when it comes to battles on this and other forums, as stated above as of right now he can't handle his peak output without dying or using Leech to turn it off. Which makes most of the battles kind of moot do to these limitations that others may not have.

As for myths not to many other then "heat" and if i remember right there was a debate about weather he was immune to Havok's blasts, or something like that. didn't care to find out about it, as it seems moot at this point for me.

#25 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@BlackArmor said:

I can post the scan if you want...I'm just saying the context isn't impressive as it sounds, he is clearing a path through a mountain to save peoples lives while getting advice form his fellow X-Men on the trajectory of where to fire. It's not like he is disintegrating a mountain while boasting "F*ck You Nature!!" or anything like that

Yeah I'd appreciate it if you would post the scan but now I want a fan art of the F-you nature one lol

#26 Posted by cattlebattle (12793 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

@cattlebattle said:

@BlackArmor said:

Note: he passes out right after this, but in all fairness, the Hidden Years are supposed to take place when he was in his late teens, he is more powerful now

#27 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

It all depends on who's WRITING him.

#28 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

In terms of his more powerful feats, Cyclops has been shown taking out sentinels and armored tanks with his more powerful and focused blasts, and in the Age of Apocalypse (where his powers are functionally identical to his mainstream counterpart) he blasts off Wolverine's adamantium hand (though not his claw, since it was retracted at the time).

#29 Posted by God_Spawn (37908 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger: Still in any other verse adamantium doesn't seem to be the same so I don't count his other verse feats. Logan has plenty of feats resisting to being pulled apart from super strong foes all the way to the Hulk, him blasting of AoA grade adamantium =/= 616 grade adamantium. Regardless, Cyclops has plenty of awesome feats in the main universe something you know all too well.

Moderator Online
#30 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

His heat vision is not on Superman's level. Or Darkseid's. It's not even that hot. Wolverine was totally walking through it in the Schism fight, even though Nitro's burned him down to a skeleton. Weaksauce, Scotty.

That's because it's not heatvison but rather concussive force.

#31 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

@joshmightbe said:

:p

#32 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4733 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops can't, in fact, slice cheese with his optic blasts.

#33 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

Cyclops' optic blasts stem from a separate universe where his eyes are portal to.

I always forget they added that into his power description. It does, at least, explain why his head isn't ripped off by the opposite-and-equal force of his optic blast as it impacts with targets.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.