Isn't it Scott's turn to evolve or change somehow?

• 69 results
#1 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio

Think about the original team of X-Men: Angel, Marvel Girl, Beast, Iceman, and Cyclops. 

Angel then.  
A rich kid who was able to fly via wings. 

Angel now. 
Much more mature, has metal wings that can fire deadly feathers, talons, superhuman strength, blood-borne healing factor. 

Marvel Girl then. 
A cute red-head who could levitate small objects with her mind 

Marvel Girl now. 
One of the most powerful people in the Marvel U. Has destroyed galaxies, been cloned, and has died more times than almost any other comic book hero. 

Beast then. 
A very bright college student who had superhuman athleticsm just about peak-human levels. 

Beast now. 
Is a bona-fide expert in pretty much every field that someone can be an expert in, and powers that are exponentially more potent than ever before, with the exception of dexterity. 

Iceman then. 
A stupid kid who throws snowballs. 

Iceman now. 
An experienced and intelligent fighter, confirmed as being among the most powerful mutants in existance. 

Cyclops then. 
A strict, by-the-rules leader who shoots optic blasts. 

Cyclops now. 
#2 Posted by inferiorego (24588 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish Marvel would give Cyclops more credit, he could be a really awesome character if they didn't give him the cold shoulder.

Staff
#3 Posted by JLAsuperdude (174 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea I saw this post and realized that he hasn't evolved any though he has gotten stronger.
#4 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18854 posts) - - Show Bio

Lmao this is so true!

Jean has only died twice btw. :]

#5 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx:
....? 
What X-Men have you been reading? 
Marvel writers get fired if they let Jean go 6 months without dying.
#6 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

...Holy crap,you're right!
But what change should he get?

#7 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18854 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus said:
Marvel writers get fired if they let Jean go 6 months without dying. "
That is such a lie lol

She dies sometime is  the 70's... Then in new x-men.... damn she then died in phoenix endsong.. Thats three....   but she has only died three... Try me.
#8 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio

1 in Doctor Strange #12 (Implicit)
1 in Marvel Two-In-One #7. (Implicit)
1 in UXM #107. (Implicit)
1 in UXM #108. (Implicit)
1 in UXM #113 (in the opinion of most of her fellow X-Men for the next 12 issues)
1 in UXM #137 (As everyone believed at the time, and for the next five years)
5 in Avengers #314 (Implicit)
1 in Infinity Gauntlet #2
1 in UXM #281
1 in Mys-Tech Wars #3
1 in The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix #1 (soul separated from her own body for a solid twelve years, from her point of view!)
1 just before the start of Captain Marvel #6 (fourth series) (Implicit)
1 in New X-Men #148
1 in New X-Men #150
8 times (at least!) in Phoenix: Endsong #3.      

That list was made my fesak. 
I realize she did not actually die most of those times, but the writers still managed to make us think she die, at least for a while.
#9 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18854 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow.... i still believe it was three lol.... Now i need to read those... thanks.. -_-

#10 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Cyclops is as good as he ever going to be besides every now and then they give him a new suit.

#11 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio
@G'bandit said:
"I think Cyclops is as good as he ever going to be besides every now and then they give him a new suit. "
Yeah, that's what seriously sucks. Warren got a new look, and a lot of serious upgrades to his powers.  Jean got enough power to fight Galactus one-on-one. Bobby got some maturity and major power upgrades. Hank became one of Marvel's Einsteins, and he got about half a dozen power upgrades. Scott got a new costume, and a b!+chy girlfriend to replace the dead one.

@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
"Wow.... i still believe it was three lol.... Now i need to read those... thanks.. -_- "

Actually, I believe you were the one debating with fesak when he posted that list. 

#12 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18854 posts) - - Show Bio

I think your right on that lmao!

#13 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio
@ARMIV said:
"...Holy crap,you're right! But what change should he get? "

Did you read when Ultimate Cyclops took the Banshee drug? 
Yeah, I was thinking something along those lines. XD
#14 Posted by Pulsar (2333 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus:
What was Cyclops capable of doing? Was he like Flashpoint from Stormwatch?
#15 Posted by Serpent (209 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm all for Cyclops to get some attention and evolution to his powers.

Perhaps some kind of vision-based powers would be good.. perhaps X-Ray vision, or telescopic vision.. I don't know.

#16 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

they could always let him gain control of his powers and it been hinted at that he has more power than hes aware of a few times plus both his brothers have displayed alot of power like havok when he fought vulcan and hurt him or vulcan taking out the empirial gaurd fairly quikly cyke is due for an upgrade
#17 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pulsar said:
"@Power NeXus: What was Cyclops capable of doing? Was he like Flashpoint from Stormwatch? "

He only had his newfound powers for one issue, so we don't know much about his limits, but here's what we do know: 
He was able to control his optic blasts without his visor, and the blasts seemed to be a bit more potent. 
He was able to fly and survive unaided in space. 
And he had superhuman strengh sufficient to deck Ultimate Vindicator, who also had an undetermined but fairly significant level of superhuman strength. 
And he seemed to be able to use his optic blasts to attack faraway targets via the astral plane. Jean Grey was once telepathically watching one of his battles from the Mansion. He somehow saw her astral image and attacked her by shooting an optic blast at her, causing her physical body at the Mansion to fly across the room. 

He said all these new powers came from every single cell in his body being able to use the solar energy he absorbs, instead of just his eyes. 
I think it would be awesome if mainstream Cyclops got powers like this and got to be revered as a powerful titan as well as the leader of the X-Men.
#18 Posted by yodagod (2285 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus:
That really would be cool.  It might make him a more likable character if he weren't always whining about "having to contain his optic blasts behind his ruby quartz visor".  He was introduced as the most powerful member of the team, but it didn't stay that way for long.  Now in any random gathering of mutants you can expect he'll be in the mid to low end of the power scale.  It kinda sucks, because I really want to like Cyclops, but the way he's so often written it can be hard.  There has to be a way to keep him as the team's moral center without making him a douschebag. I think I liked him best when he was shooting Emma's psychic projections of the Hellfire Club.  It might be cool to do something like that.  Noone expects the high output energy blast guy to whip out a .45 and start shooting, and Scott could be deadly with his natural accuracy.
#19 Posted by danhimself (22547 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus said:
"
1 in Doctor Strange #12 (Implicit)
1 in Marvel Two-In-One #7. (Implicit)
1 in UXM #107. (Implicit)
1 in UXM #108. (Implicit)
1 in UXM #113 (in the opinion of most of her fellow X-Men for the next 12 issues)
1 in UXM #137 (As everyone believed at the time, and for the next five years)
5 in Avengers #314 (Implicit)
1 in Infinity Gauntlet #2
1 in UXM #281
1 in Mys-Tech Wars #3
1 in The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix #1 (soul separated from her own body for a solid twelve years, from her point of view!)
1 just before the start of Captain Marvel #6 (fourth series) (Implicit)
1 in New X-Men #148
1 in New X-Men #150
8 times (at least!) in Phoenix: Endsong #3.       That list was made my fesak. I realize she did not actually die most of those times, but the writers still managed to make us think she die, at least for a while. "

if she didn't actually die then they don't count
#20 Posted by Pulsar (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott has changed a bit. He went from the shy akward teen to the confident, self-assured man he is today.
#21 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus said:
"
Think about the original team of X-Men: Angel, Marvel Girl, Beast, Iceman, and Cyclops. 

Angel then.  

Angel now. 
Much more mature, has metal wings that can fire deadly feathers, talons, superhuman strength, blood-borne healing factor. 

Marvel Girl then. 

Marvel Girl now. 
One of the most powerful people in the Marvel U. Has destroyed galaxies, been cloned, and has died more times than almost any other comic book hero. 

Beast then. 
A very bright college student who had superhuman athleticsm just about peak-human levels. 

Beast now. 
Is a bona-fide expert in pretty much every field that someone can be an expert in, and powers that are exponentially more potent than ever before, with the exception of dexterity. 

Iceman then. 

Iceman now. 
An experienced and intelligent fighter, confirmed as being among the most powerful mutants in existance. 

Cyclops then. 

Cyclops now. 
A strict, by-the-rules leader who shoots optic blasts. "
Angel lost his healing factor when he regained the metal wings.
#22 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
" @Power NeXus said:
"

Angel then.  

Angel now. 

Marvel Girl then. 

Marvel Girl now. 

Beast then. 

Beast now. 

Iceman then. 

Iceman now. 

Cyclops then. 

Cyclops now. 
Angel lost his healing factor when he regained the metal wings. "

I thought now he was able to switch back and forth between Angel and Archangel, and he still had the healing factor in his 'Angel' form.
#23 Posted by Dupe (1581 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pulsar said:
" Scott has changed a bit. He went from the shy akward teen to the confident, self-assured man he is today. "
True. But that goes for a lot of characters. Honestly, I like him the way he is. I think this is what makes him interesting.
#24 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dupe said:
" @Pulsar said:
" Scott has changed a bit. He went from the shy akward teen to the confident, self-assured man he is today. "
True. But that goes for a lot of characters. Honestly, I like him the way he is. I think this is what makes him interesting. "

'The way he is' has been almost exactly the same for over forty years (our time). X-Men who have been one the team half as long as him are miles ahead of him in power changes and character evolution.
#25 Posted by Dupe (1581 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus said:
" 'The way he is' has been almost exactly the same for over forty years (our time). X-Men who have been one the team half as long as him are miles ahead of him in power changes and character evolution. "
What kind of character development would you have him go through then? Because what I read here is mostly about his powers.
#26 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus said:
" @Pulsar said:
"@Power NeXus: What was Cyclops capable of doing? Was he like Flashpoint from Stormwatch? "
He only had his newfound powers for one issue, so we don't know much about his limits, but here's what we do know: He was able to control his optic blasts without his visor, and the blasts seemed to be a bit more potent. He was able to fly and survive unaided in space. And he had superhuman strengh sufficient to deck Ultimate Vindicator, who also had an undetermined but fairly significant level of superhuman strength. And he seemed to be able to use his optic blasts to attack faraway targets via the astral plane. Jean Grey was once telepathically watching one of his battles from the Mansion. He somehow saw her astral image and attacked her by shooting an optic blast at her, causing her physical body at the Mansion to fly across the room.  He said all these new powers came from every single cell in his body being able to use the solar energy he absorbs, instead of just his eyes. I think it would be awesome if mainstream Cyclops got powers like this and got to be revered as a powerful titan as well as the leader of the X-Men. "
He was basically an Ultimate equivalent of Vulcan.
#28 Edited by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

two eyes merge into single giant eye nuff said lol worst idea ever but also funny

#29 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dupe said:
" @Power NeXus said:
" 'The way he is' has been almost exactly the same for over forty years (our time). X-Men who have been one the team half as long as him are miles ahead of him in power changes and character evolution. "
What kind of character development would you have him go through then? Because what I read here is mostly about his powers. "

I'm not a writer, so I'm not sure exactly how his character should change. I just know that something about him needs to change, for once. Change his character, change his powers, change something other than his costume. 
As far as powers go, I'd like to see him the the Ultimate Cyclops I described. Still not sure about character though, but his character probably would change somewhat if he didn't have to wear the visor anymore. Maybe he could join the Secret Avengers or something.
#30 Posted by archangel0127 (85 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus: 
(Arch)angel didn't lose his healing power wen his metal wing grew back, but a think like Icurus his healing powers come from his wings, so wen they were removed he couldn't heal .
#31 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus said:
" @pixelized said:
" @Power NeXus said:
"

Angel then.  

Angel now. 

Marvel Girl then. 

Marvel Girl now. 

Beast then. 

Beast now. 

Iceman then. 

Iceman now. 

Cyclops then. 

Cyclops now. 
Angel lost his healing factor when he regained the metal wings. "
I thought now he was able to switch back and forth between Angel and Archangel, and he still had the healing factor in his 'Angel' form. "
He can, but he doesn't have the healing factor anymore
#32 Posted by Maximillion (37 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
" Lmao this is so true! "
He's one of my favourite characters, but his powers are so basic. I don't really see him doing anything exceptional except maybe shoot a bigger blast
#33 Edited by CellphoneGirl (18854 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't his future daughter in X-factor like a more evolved version of him? (not rachel)

#34 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Ruby?

#35 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18854 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah her! is she?

#36 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk, i don't read X-Factor

#37 Posted by War Killer (20206 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus said:
"@Pulsar said:
He only had his newfound powers for one issue, so we don't know much about his limits, but here's what we do know: He was able to control his optic blasts without his visor, and the blasts seemed to be a bit more potent. He was able to fly and survive unaided in space. And he had superhuman strengh sufficient to deck Ultimate Vindicator, who also had an undetermined but fairly significant level of superhuman strength. And he seemed to be able to use his optic blasts to attack faraway targets via the astral plane. Jean Grey was once telepathically watching one of his battles from the Mansion. He somehow saw her astral image and attacked her by shooting an optic blast at her, causing her physical body at the Mansion to fly across the room.  He said all these new powers came from every single cell in his body being able to use the solar energy he absorbs, instead of just his eyes. I think it would be awesome if mainstream Cyclops got powers like this and got to be revered as a powerful titan as well as the leader of the X-Men. "
I can see him having super strength, just don't make him fly, that would just make him Superman
#38 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
"@Power NeXus said:
"@Pulsar said:
I can see him having super strength, just don't make him fly, that would just make him Superman "

What's wrong with him being reminiscent of Superman? They're from different comic companies. It's not like you can't have two companies make two different characters that are slightly similar.
#39 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
" Yeah her! is she? "
Not really. She has a combination of both Cyclops' and Emma's powers.
#40 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18854 posts) - - Show Bio

So her skin is kinda from Emma's too?

#41 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
" So her skin is kinda from Emma's too? "
well... she is Ruby

Ruby Summers
#42 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the significant change that happened to Scott is he became darker; using torture for interrogation and establishing X-force. Think of it like a "ends to justify the means" philosophy.

#43 Posted by Fresh Prince (5148 posts) - - Show Bio

I say just leave him as he is now.

#44 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7818 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Cyclops though Utopia, I dont hate him as much as many seem to do these days.

#45 Posted by Foreverbbyily (225 posts) - - Show Bio

I USE TO HATE HIM BUT NOW THAT HE IS WITH EMMA FROST HES ONE OF MY FAV. CHARATERS BECAUSE EMMA BRINGS THE BEST OUT OF SCOTT AND SUPPORTS HIM THROUGH IT ALL
#46 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18854 posts) - - Show Bio
@Foreverbbyily said:
" I USE TO HATE HIM BUT NOW THAT HE IS WITH EMMA FROST HES ONE OF MY FAV. CHARATERS BECAUSE EMMA BRINGS THE BEST OUT OF SCOTT AND SUPPORTS HIM THROUGH IT ALL "
Dude there was no need for every word to be in all Caps...
#47 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:

" @Foreverbbyily said:

" I USE TO HATE HIM BUT NOW THAT HE IS WITH EMMA FROST HES ONE OF MY FAV. CHARATERS BECAUSE EMMA BRINGS THE BEST OUT OF SCOTT AND SUPPORTS HIM THROUGH IT ALL "
Dude there was no need for every word to be in all Caps... "
Yes that dude seams to do that an awful lot.

Hey guys do you think maybe Cyclops can envolve into a real man?
#48 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops hasn't evolved, he's devolved. He is cribbing from Magneto's playbook, only he's doing it badly.

#49 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio
@Calvin said:
" @xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:

" @Foreverbbyily said:

Yes that dude seams to do that an awful lot.  Hey guys do you think maybe Cyclops can envolve into a real man? "

Say what now? He has a mutant power that a danger to everyone and everything around him, he's been the leader of a superhero team since before he finished puberty, his longtime girlfriend/former wife has died several times and gone on galaxy-destroying binges, his current girlfriend dresses like a prostitute and used to be one of his enemies, and he is currently the leader of the force trying to keep mutants from complete extinction. And, even with all that, he's still sane, and is considered one of the best team leaders and tactical minds in the Marvel U. How much more 'real man' do you want? 
#50 Edited by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio
@Calvin: he did @Calvin said:

" @xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:

" @Foreverbbyily said:

Yes that dude seams to do that an awful lot.  Hey guys do you think maybe Cyclops can envolve into a real man? "
He did in Whdeon's Astonishing. Too bad Fraction turned him into a stupid punk.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.