Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Is Cyclops fit to lead?

Broken Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Broken Arrow

I think Scott Summer's is the most underrated character in comics today. Whats the deal? You look at all the early X-books and its all about Jean and him then after Dark Phoenix he's basically a non-factor in the X-men,and now he's got no powers,thats a great way to make a splash,lets take a guy nobody cares about and strip him of his power's thats brilliant. Hay I know while your ad it why not end CIVIL WAR with Cap just giving up. Sorry got off track no seriously if your charging the enemy and Wolverine goes one way and Cyclops goes the other who you gonna follow? Exactly Wolverine. So is Mr. Summers only the leader cause he was thier first? If your the leader of the most popular team in Marvel and you cant support your own book,than my friend you aint fit to lead jack s@#*.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#2  Edited By gmanfromheck

I think he's a good leader. The best? Maybe not. You don't need superpowers to lead. The fact that he's still leading without them says something. Others are still willing to follow him. Wolverine isn't a leader. He doesn't wanna be. He wasn't too crazy about the time he had to take over way back in Uncanny. Scott is also a good strategist. Just like Cap, maybe he can't lift a tank but that's not where his strengths are. As far as a solo book, he is a team player. He's not a loner. That's not what he's after. It wouldn't make sense. Don't get me wrong, I am not his number 1 fan but I do think he has some qualities to him.

Avatar image for fourpower__r_i_p_
    Fourpower (R.I.P)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Fourpower (R.I.P)

G-Man is right. I never minded Cyclops that much, I always wondered why everybody hates him.

Broken Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Broken Arrow

I DIDNT SAY WOLVERINE WAS A LEADER,BUT HE IS PART OF THE X-MEN SO HE FIGHTS BESIDE THEM RIGHT? SO IF YOU G-MAN AND I WERE ROOKIE'S ON THE TEAM ON ARE FIRST MISSION FIGHTING A NEW BROTHERHOOD,AND CYCLOPS GAVE AN ORDER AND WOLVERINE JUST WENT OFF TO DO HIS OWN THING YOUR TELLING ME YOU WOULDNT THINK THIS GUY'S A SHMUCK? IF HE DOSENT LISTEN TO THE LEADER WHY SHOULD WE?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gmanfromheck

Well Wolverine can be a jerk but he still is a team player. I mean he's in the freakin' Avengers. He will follow an order. He's not gonna be on a team if he doesn't agree with whoever is in charge. As easily as Wolverine flies off the handle, he is still an honorable guy. He'll do what the "leader" says. And if I was a rookie on a team with Wolverine, I would find out fast how jerky he can be. Look at how he treated Armor (lame name) in the last Astonishing X-Men. Even though he's a veteran member of the team, I wouldn't take his behavior as a guide on how to act.

And "yelling" doesn't make a post more valid. It's too early for caps lock.

Broken Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Broken Arrow

I really didnt know caps on meant yelling I meant no disrespect.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck

It's no disrespect. Some people just love the caps lock. Not sure why we all perceive it as yelling.

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Prodigal Son

Post Deleted.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck

Cyclops also seems not to have a problem leading the X-gals...to his bedroom.

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

they always write cysclops to be a distant and un-emotional tool. Just like I would love to re-write Thor, I would love to write Cyclops his own story.

I think he 'could' be very interesting as a solo story line.

Broken Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Broken Arrow

Red L.A.M.P. says:

"they always write cysclops to be a distant and un-emotional tool. Just like I would love to re-write Thor, I would love to write Cyclops his own story. I think he 'could' be very interesting as a solo story line."
    I think its been to long now,that lame ass personality he's got will follow him forever.He could have been a contender,Aaadddraaaainn.Sorry had a Rocky flash-back.He does get the lady's they throw him that cause without that he's dead.
    Post Edited:2007-03-02 17:52:33
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gmanfromheck

Yeah as long as he took out the stick from his butt. The character has potential but he's just too mopey.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gmanfromheck

I don't know, with the right creative team, it wouldn't matter. I mean look at Doctor Strange. I would've never thought I'd be digging him before Brian K Vaughan wrote him.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Onemoreposter

This seemed relevant.....

*thread necromancy!*

Imperfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Imperfect

In my opinion I believe he is a better leader than Captain America.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16  Edited By McKlayn

@G-Man said:

I don't know, with the right creative team, it wouldn't matter. I mean look at Doctor Strange. I would've never thought I'd be digging him before Brian K Vaughan wrote him.

I think this thread is a perfect example of this, 5 years ago Cyclops was one of the most unpopular characters in the X men family. Now with the whole AVX and bendis taking up his character he seems to have grown immensely im popularity regardless of if anyone perosnally likes him or not he seems ot have aquired alot more fans

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Decoy Elite

Cyclops can be a good leader if he's written well. 
    @G-Man said:

Cyclops also seems not to have a problem leading the X-gals...to his bedroom.

Also this is now my favorite G-Man post.
    imperial90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By imperial90

I certainly wouldn't choose to follow Wolverine over Cyclops, the guy is like the Leeroy Jenkins of the 616. I prefer my leaders to have the intelligence to think about executing strategies other then the immensely complicated "stab it" maneuver or the remarkably well thought out "throw me at the cosmic force responsible for destroying the universe at the end of time and then recreating it so I can stab it with my claws" technique.

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By slimlim

@Broken Arrow: Sorry, im confused by your post. are you speaking for or against cyclops. first you say he's underrated, then you say he's lame. judging from your later posts i take it you are mostly against him?

As evident from my current avatar and posts, its obvious im in the "Cyclops was right" camp. i do however agree that Cyclops has his faults. But perhaps what many see as his faults help him to actually be an incredibly effective leader. He may not always make the popular choices, but he always strives to make the choices that have the bigger picture in mind. Characters like Wolverine and Gambit are/were popular because they were renegades. Anti-establishment is always fun, but it makes for poor leadership judgement.

Here is where Marvel hope to change Cyclops. They are trying to keep him in-character, while giving him an anti-establishment "revolutionary" twist. This isn't as big a twist actually as Cyclops has been heading down this path for quite some time now. If anything, Cyclops is becoming a bit more like Wolverine, and Wolverine is becoming a bit more like Cyclops. The two are one of Marvel's biggest "Frenemies". The roles have been reversed. And... i like it.

As for his powers (which he hasn't lost by the way), thats not what makes or breaks him as a leader. If that was the case, Thor or Hulk would be leading the Avengers.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By THORSON

yes. he doesn't take shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.