Is Cyclops an A-List Character?

• 62 results
#51 Edited by Extremis (3326 posts) - - Show Bio

How is he an A lister? There's no way he could carry a solo title. For me that's the primary criterion.

Wolverine

Thor

Cap

Batman

Superman

...those are A listers. Not Cyke.

#52 Posted by RustyRoy (10717 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimlim said:

He is A-list in the capacity that he has, as a character, become integral to the Marvel universe. Not all characters IMO who carry a solo title deserve to be named as A-listers. Take for example, Gambit. While a fantastic character with many fans, i wouldn't classify him as A-list. Perhaps a B++.

Cyclops falls under a similar category as Reed Richards. Who i deem as an A-list Marvel character. Integral to the Marvel Universe, but unable to carry a solo title. And i must add, their inability to hold a solo title is not really because of failings as a character, but rather their being part of a whole. There is no Fantastic Four without Reed Richards. While saying "there's no X-Men without Cyclops" is debatable, Cyclops himself has become so much a part of the X-Men that its almost impossible to see him as anything but a part of a whole. In other words, while X-Men doesnt equal Cyclops, Cyclops equals X-Men. His whole life as a character is ROOTED in the X-Men. Thor has Asgard, Captain America has WW2, Gambit has his Thieves Guild, Spidey has his Aunt May, Wolvie has the Howletts, AlphaFlight, WeaponX, etc.

Being known primarily as "leader of the X-Men" doesn't mean that he's automatically out of the A-list. If anything, its the opposite. Being the leader of one of the most popular comic franchises in history is different from being the leader of Power Pack.

So i think having a solo book is not a good measure of the character's importance to the universe and its readers. But rather how much impact the character has. Popular characters come and go. But A-listers stand the test of time. Love him or hate him, he's always been there. Month after month (unless for story purposes like being dead/possessed/whatever). For that, i would consider Cyclops part of the Marvel A-list.

Awesome post, dude.

#53 Edited by IIDEADxPOOLII (1414 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimlim said:

I think the problem here is that there are two ways of seeing this.

A-List within the comic fan community, and A-List outside of it.

Take X3: The Last Stand for example. in general, the comic fan community were up in arms with the unceremonious death of the character. Whereas the general public weren't that affected (other than it being overall inferior to the previous films)

For me, Cylcops is an A-list character within the comic fan community for the reasons i've stated before. However, outside of it... i'm not so sure. A good test would be, if a man was to dress up as Cyclops, and take a stroll through the mall, would he be recognisable as that character? i would have to say... MAYBE. Mostly because of the cartoons and movies. But even with those, he's still no Batman, Superman, Captain America, Spider-man or Wolverine.

I'm more than certain people would recognize who it is. They'd most likely say it's the guy from X-men who shoots "lasers" from his eyes. Cyclops might not be a favorite to the general public but he's definitely a really known character.

#54 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

He's an A-Lister in the comic world for sure. The general public probably has no idea who Cyclops is nor do they care to find out.

#55 Edited by Extremis (3326 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare: how is he an A-lister in the comics world? There's no way he could carry the readership in a solo like the upper echelon heroes. Lets look at Marvel: Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Hulk, Wolverine, Spiderman - these are A listers, that upper echelon of heroes that can easily carry their own title. And being that upper echelon to me seems to be what A-list is. You can't clump Cyke into that group because it simply doesn't make sense. Comics or not, he is not that level of character. Cyke doesn't have that kind of draw or even that magnitude of fandom.

A listers are those characters that Marvelcan throw into a random title to help carry readership. Prime examples of this are Wolverine appearing in nearly every team book these days, Iron Man in GotG, etc. Now appearing in that many titles isn't the criteria, it's the fact that just their addition to a random tile can keep it afloat or even draw huge interest.

To me he's Marvel's Nightwing. Pretty darn popular among readers and well liked across the board for the most part, but just not quite A list.

#56 Posted by QueenCorp15 (1018 posts) - - Show Bio

By far A-list

#57 Edited by Flopsop200 (161 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@slimlim said:

He is A-list in the capacity that he has, as a character, become integral to the Marvel universe. Not all characters IMO who carry a solo title deserve to be named as A-listers. Take for example, Gambit. While a fantastic character with many fans, i wouldn't classify him as A-list. Perhaps a B++.

Cyclops falls under a similar category as Reed Richards. Who i deem as an A-list Marvel character. Integral to the Marvel Universe, but unable to carry a solo title. And i must add, their inability to hold a solo title is not really because of failings as a character, but rather their being part of a whole. There is no Fantastic Four without Reed Richards. While saying "there's no X-Men without Cyclops" is debatable, Cyclops himself has become so much a part of the X-Men that its almost impossible to see him as anything but a part of a whole. In other words, while X-Men doesnt equal Cyclops, Cyclops equals X-Men. His whole life as a character is ROOTED in the X-Men. Thor has Asgard, Captain America has WW2, Gambit has his Thieves Guild, Spidey has his Aunt May, Wolvie has the Howletts, AlphaFlight, WeaponX, etc.

Being known primarily as "leader of the X-Men" doesn't mean that he's automatically out of the A-list. If anything, its the opposite. Being the leader of one of the most popular comic franchises in history is different from being the leader of Power Pack.

So i think having a solo book is not a good measure of the character's importance to the universe and its readers. But rather how much impact the character has. Popular characters come and go. But A-listers stand the test of time. Love him or hate him, he's always been there. Month after month (unless for story purposes like being dead/possessed/whatever). For that, i would consider Cyclops part of the Marvel A-list.

Awesome post, dude.

^this

#58 Posted by HolySerpent (12432 posts) - - Show Bio

No he is not. He's a B-listed superhero with a D -listed ability. Wolverine is the face of the X-men in general media. i also believe Magneto is more popluar than Cyclops

#59 Posted by ChildoftheAtom (485 posts) - - Show Bio

He is the first and the face of the xmen to readers. Wolverine is the face for the media and no readers but that's cool they are both great characters but Scott won't do so well in solo comics

#60 Posted by Kokemabb200 (62 posts) - - Show Bio

definite A-list

#61 Edited by Pizzaman (494 posts) - - Show Bio

A-list.

#62 Posted by Jayc1324 (8904 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not like wolverine or spiderman. So B list

#63 Posted by Knightfall225 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

B lister

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.