Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

In The Wake Of A Vs X Is Cyclops More Or Less Popular?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheCrowbar

Cyclops was right. Isn't something Marvel came up with, it's people who were fans of his character started yelling.

Unfortunately, I think Cyclops has gotten more popular because Wolverine has betrayed his original concept to such a degree.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@TheCrowbar: Why is that unfortunate?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Jonny_Anonymous: Because it's character development at the cost of another character.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@TheCrowbar: Not really, it's not like Marvel decided to screw Wolverine over to make Cyk look better, it was going to happen ether way.

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
    Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Manbehindthewires

It was a necessary reminder of how powerful Cyclops is. He's rarely considered someone's favorite character, let alone favorite X, but in actual fact, he's one of the deadliest and most important. I hope the writer's don't let him down in this aftermath; he's got the potential to start a whole new event-sized revolution.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Jonny_Anonymous: I don't think anyone in Marvel went "Hey lets cut into Wolverine to make Cyclops look cooler" I think it was more of a reaction to Wolverine becoming less and less what he's loved for and more and more like what he used to rebel against.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@TheCrowbar: that's true

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I think that Wolverine and Cyclops are switching roles with Wolverine being the one who follows Xavier's dream and Cyclops being the lone rebel, the lone rebel quality that made Wolverine famous in the first place...

The_House_of_L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By The_House_of_L

Its a flashburn. Without Emma he'll soon fade.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Mr_LeBeau: Emma is still on his side, I doubt them not dating will affect his popularity

The_House_of_L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_House_of_L
    @Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Mr_LeBeau: Emma is still on his side, I doubt them not dating will affect his popularity

It already did once. Its the entire reason Marvel put them together in the first place. He's popular now cause the bulk of the Xverse revolves around him. Once the storyline finishes he's popularity will fade and they'll stick him in another relationship.
    x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13  Edited By x_29

Absolutely. I do not like this current direction for him or Wolverine, but it has gotten new readers to take notice.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@x_29 said:

Absolutely. I do not like this current direction for him or Wolverine, but it has gotten new readers to take notice.

I agree. I felt this new direction for both of them was too forced, but many fans are starting to take notice of Cyclops lately. I wonder what will become of Wolverine once he keeps going this new direction.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Gambit1024

In my opinion, the entire X-Universe has gotten more and more unlikable. AvX was just the nail in the coffin.

There are maybe... five X-Men that I still like, and at least one of them is dead.

And regarding Cyclops, yes, the direction he's going is certainly one that I can't stand. And that's terrible, because he was probably my favorite X-Man.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@Gambit1024 said:

In my opinion, the entire X-Universe has gotten more and more unlikable. AvX was just the nail in the coffin.

There are maybe... five X-Men that I still like, and at least one of them is dead.

And regarding Cyclops, yes, the direction he's going is certainly one that I can't stand. And that's terrible, because he was probably my favorite X-Man.

I agree with this.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By danhimself

I think he's a far more interesting character than before....before I always thought of him as pretty one dimensional and bland...now I'm interested in seeing where his story is going

Imperfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Imperfect

@Mr_LeBeau: I don't think so, Emma and Scott will be together again but it will take a while.

The_House_of_L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_House_of_L

@Imperfect said:

@Mr_LeBeau: I don't think so, Emma and Scott will be together again but it will take a while.

Wouldnt mind seeing that at all.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

He's more popular now, because he's a different character altogether. Cyclops was always a very subtle character, which came off as boring to many. And that was fine, him not being everyone's cup of tea was part of his charm. He used to be Taxi Driver. While loved fiercely by quite a few, he fell into relative obscurity next to many of his colleagues, as they were more flashy; more appealing to a wider audience. 

Now he's just another dime-a-dozen extremist/anti-villain. He's become Avatar. He's flashy, he's "cool", he's very contemporary, but he's the same as a million other things. Behind the explosions, behind the hip new attitude, he's just another bad guy. 

There is nothing unique about him any more. He's not Cyclops. Cyclops died around the time of Second Coming, or Schism if I'm being very lenient. 

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By chasereis

@ApatheticAvenger: Not sure I would venture to say exactly "than he's ever been", but I do agree that he is a compelling character and always had been. It pained me to see him so underdeveloped, overexposed and mishandled from Seagle to Fraction. In a way Cyclops I think would be difficult to write, but that is no excuse for the blatant lack of effort on the writers part.

chocobojam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By chocobojam

I think that there is more fans of cyclops now because im definitely one of them!!

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By One_Eye

@ApatheticAvenger said:

More, because he's a more compelling character than he's ever been (and I've always found him compelling, even when others considered him boring).

@danhimself: @TheCrowbar: @Jonny_Anonymous: Same here. If nothing else Cyclops development has been the most organic((if not in consistent at times...)) out of the X-cast. I understand that Wolverine had a change of heart over the course of X-Force however, it seems that readers paid more attention to UXM even more so.

I'm interested in Scotts' new direction as well, however, I simply wish that Kieron Gillen could have stayed on as he had the best grasp on X-tinction Team.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lykopis

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

He's more popular now, because he's a different character altogether. Cyclops was always a very subtle character, which came off as boring to many. And that was fine, him not being everyone's cup of tea was part of his charm. He used to be Taxi Driver. While loved fiercely by quite a few, he fell into relative obscurity next to many of his colleagues, as they were more flashy; more appealing to a wider audience. Now he's just another dime-a-dozen extremist/anti-villain. He's become Avatar. He's flashy, he's "cool", he's very contemporary, but he's the same as a million other things. Behind the explosions, behind the hip new attitude, he's just another bad guy. There is nothing unique about him any more. He's not Cyclops. Cyclops died around the time of Second Coming, or Schism if I'm being very lenient.

Perfect.

boob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By boob

He has finally stepped out of Jean's and the Professor's shadow. I along with many people hate what happened to him, even those who had a deep hatred of the guy.  And its those same people who are stepping up for him and calling the Avengers out (even their die hard fans).  After everything that has happened to him since he first came into existence. It is natural that he says this way is not working, time for a new road. And because he is not being a good little boy he is being labeled a bad guy. He will come out of this but he can not and will not be the same. And because of this long awaited growth I am glad of AvX, and this is the ONLY reason.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By TDK_1997

I think that right now he is going down.He is becoming less popular in my opinion.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#28  Edited By Teerack
    No Caption Provided
    Postacrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Postacrat

I didn't like cyclops at all because I always favored Logan, now I'm liking cyclops as a character much more now and I'm liking Logan a lot less. I simply can't understand Wolverine anymore, I mean his character is all over the emotional spectrum. One minute he's a feral, vengeful, remorseful, super mutant killing jerk with some honor and the next he's a righteous, teacher, father figure and an activists in mutant interests? I've never felt a strong connection with wolverine and the Mutant race as a whole, so why now is he so interested in what's best for mutant kind?

Perhaps if these changes were implemented to his character in small doses, and in a more calculative fashion and paralleled with instances that made more sense it would be an easier pill to swallow. However right now I honestly cannot stand by wolverine because I really don't know if I like his character anymore, I can't relate to his anger towards Scott at all. In fact I think the rivalry between them two is getting a little old. Jean is dead and has been dead for years, when is wolverine going to stop acting like a love sick puppy about it?

Now Wolverine in X-Force that's what I like, that wolverine is more of a bad-a** and less or a duche, I'm starting to feel like he doesn't even fit with the X-men anymore and Scott still does.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.