I hate cyclops

• 101 results
#51 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmisanthrope said:

@fodigg said:

I still like Cyclops, he just wasn't prepared for the Phoenix Force. The only thing Cyclops ever did that made me really dislike the character was when he abandoned his wife the second Jean came back and they basically kidnapped baby Cable from her. I've been waiting for years for them to explain that as Mr. Sinister's brainwashing taking hold (since he meddled with Scott's mind as a child and maneuvered them together for breeding purposes), but so far it's just quietly ignored by most creators.

That was explained as being due to Sinister's brainwashing. I don't have the scans on me, but they say it immediately after the battle where he defeats Sinister. One of the other X-Men gives a line along the lines of "I knew you'd never do something like that if not for brainwashing!" Maddie has subsequently stated numerous times that she never loved him, their entire relationship was a combination of programming and Maddie manipulating him with her psychic abilities without his knowledge. That's all a retcon, but it's the explanation they gave.

From that perspective, his actions make perfect sense. You wake up essentially a rape victim forced into a relationship you never wanted.

Oh man. When was this? After Inferno? I would be immensely grateful if you ever come across a scan or remember which issue that was in.

#52 Posted by mrmisanthrope (103 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@mrmisanthrope said:

@fodigg said:

I still like Cyclops, he just wasn't prepared for the Phoenix Force. The only thing Cyclops ever did that made me really dislike the character was when he abandoned his wife the second Jean came back and they basically kidnapped baby Cable from her. I've been waiting for years for them to explain that as Mr. Sinister's brainwashing taking hold (since he meddled with Scott's mind as a child and maneuvered them together for breeding purposes), but so far it's just quietly ignored by most creators.

That was explained as being due to Sinister's brainwashing. I don't have the scans on me, but they say it immediately after the battle where he defeats Sinister. One of the other X-Men gives a line along the lines of "I knew you'd never do something like that if not for brainwashing!" Maddie has subsequently stated numerous times that she never loved him, their entire relationship was a combination of programming and Maddie manipulating him with her psychic abilities without his knowledge. That's all a retcon, but it's the explanation they gave.

From that perspective, his actions make perfect sense. You wake up essentially a rape victim forced into a relationship you never wanted.

Oh man. When was this? After Inferno? I would be immensely grateful if you ever come across a scan or remember which issue that was in.

Found it. X-Factor 39, after a series of flashbacks show Mr. Sinister manipulating Cyclops's mind from childhood, Angel bursts out and says this:

#53 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmisanthrope: Wow. That's honestly a relief where that character is concerned. I'm going to have to save that scan. Thanks! I do wish they'd bring this back and make it more explicit, but then, I even referencing it would just bring the whole thing up all over again.

#54 Posted by MasterM0r0n (333 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

I hate everyone in AvX.

And Cyclops is an awesome character and my personal favorite X-Man. Don't let this craptastic event discourage you. Of all the Marvels, he's been written the worst, especially in the last few years.

I agree.

I have a personal interest on Cyclops in the un-wierd bromantic, fanboy'ness way. xD

Hw will always be remembered as the great X-men leader.

#55 Posted by PassionFlower (963 posts) - - Show Bio

As with Emma I can really dislike him but I still 'like' the character. I liked Tony Stark best when he was at his Civil War most despicable...

#56 Posted by LivingWire (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops is just mad with power and all, i doubt it that the real him is aware of his actions.

#57 Posted by _Franco_ (47 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the character but I don't hate him.

#58 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@One_Eye said:

I still support the First X-Man. I don't care how Marvel tries to retcon everything by saying that Wolverine inspired Professor X or whatever. I hate this AvX event the writers than I do the characters involved.

What issue was that? Wolverine inspiring Professor X I mean...

#59 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13626 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

The first X-Men related anything that I was exposed to was the 90's cartoon. Since then, he has been my favorite X-Man. But over the years, my adoration of the character has eroded drastically. He's not even my top 5 X-Man. I want to kick him in the throat lol.

#60 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Haha. I chose my words wisely.

#61 Posted by ghostrider fan1 (778 posts) - - Show Bio

i've always disliked cyclops, this is just another reason not to like him XD

#62 Posted by LipstickZombie (91 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to hate Cyke, but i love the character development that he got when he started his relationship with Emma. Jean and Scott were the 'too-good-to-be-true' couple and it wasn't very exciting. But when he is with Emma it gave him a little more edge.

#63 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate morons.

#64 Posted by xmentas (175 posts) - - Show Bio

um......

CYCLOPS WAS RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

#65 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmisanthrope said:

@fodigg said:

@mrmisanthrope said:

@fodigg said:

Found it. X-Factor 39, after a series of flashbacks show Mr. Sinister manipulating Cyclops's mind from childhood, Angel bursts out and says this:

I SO wish that the writers would touch back on this point so that the majority of haters can stop trying to use Maddie as an excuse! It's gotten so friggin old and it's ridiculous. I mean seriously, Nathan has long since forgiven him as well as Jean so I'm not surprised that it was manipulation on someone else's part. So for people to say that he needs to take responsibility for his actions during that I event is moot because there are NO responsibilities to take.

#66 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

I hate morons.

^This^

#67 Posted by Teerack (7370 posts) - - Show Bio

You can't blame him for what he did to Emma. Why is everyone blaming Scott for stuff? No one has ever been held accountable for what they did as the Dark Phoenix. Why are we starting now!?

#68 Posted by God_Spawn (38242 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack said:

You can't blame him for what he did to Emma. Why is everyone blaming Scott for stuff? No one has ever been held accountable for what they did as the Dark Phoenix. Why are we starting now!?

Because Captain America said so....or very angry, disgruntled Jean fans which makes no sense since that is what Jean is known for.

#69 Posted by Im_A_Cat (14 posts) - - Show Bio

meow

#70 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15121 posts) - - Show Bio

@Im_A_Cat:

#71 Posted by Im_A_Cat (14 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective said:

@Im_A_Cat:

#72 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3872 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@Teerack said:

Because Captain America said so....or very angry, disgruntled Jean fans which makes no sense since that is what Jean is known for.

im a jean grey fan and i think scott should at least get a chance to make amends.....i hope scott's the one to defeat red skull so maybe he can be redeem

#73 Posted by Teerack (7370 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@Teerack said:

Cap is being a huge hypocrite after the opinions he's had about Wanda and Bucky.

#74 Posted by God_Spawn (38242 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack: I blame the writers to be honest. But I do like how AvX pretty much backlashed what they originally tended to do in the first place.

#75 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@Teerack: I blame the writers to be honest. But I do like how AvX pretty much backlashed what they originally tended to do in the first place.

What if they really planned this so that Cyclops would have some fans after writing him so badly all these years.

#76 Posted by God_Spawn (38242 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: Too complicated for a Marvel event for them to think that :P.

#77 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@ssejllenrad: Too complicated for a Marvel event for them to think that :P.

Hahaha! Ok then.

#78 Posted by God_Spawn (38242 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: But seriously I doubt it. Cyclops was never Marvel's primary focus, the Avengers are. They need to squeaky clean as far as Marvel goes so turning them into a bunch of hypocrites may have passed the casual fan but for more hardcore fans that actually think about the plots and not just kind of going with it could figure it out, He isn't even Marvel NOW's primary focus, the Uncanny Avengers are. So turning everyone into a Cyclops fan probably wouldn't have gone over with their new main book.

Just my two cents.

#79 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever happens to cyclops after AvX would open many different opportunity for him and his extinction team and the many mutant supporters. I really like to see him with an all new renegade x-tinction team and sometimes teaming up with cable and his x-force and/or probably psylocke and her x-force.

#80 Posted by Black_Robin (20 posts) - - Show Bio

I forgot about Bucky, Cap is on probation from this pt fwd

#81 Posted by Sufferthorn (1738 posts) - - Show Bio

#82 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sufferthorn said:

No.

#83 Posted by Jessica_Majestic (12 posts) - - Show Bio

The title of this thread... made me laugh :p

#84 Posted by zr0c00l (856 posts) - - Show Bio

i cant believe so many people are hating on cyclops. hes more interesting than hes ever been, i love the direction hes gone since messiah complex. and frakk the avemgers on this, how dare they try to say anything about anyone, or even try to call themselves heroes when they let scarlet witch be free to walk around knowing shes the cause of an entire race nearing extinction. cap says shes an avenger and we deal with our own, but hey im gonna come into utopia and demand you give up your messiah. the fact shes an xman and this is an xman problem means nothing to me. the fact that you guys have all the experience in dealing with the phoenix means nothing also cause i got two hulks and a god i can call on you. caps a super hypocrite on this one., but somehow the hero of the story cyclops is taking all the fallout. scarlet with needs to be jailed or executed for her crimes and rogers should resign as director of shield for his botched handling of this incident.

#85 Posted by Kain (197 posts) - - Show Bio

@acer51 said:

@Osian2: How about declaring himself supreme authority over the entire world, forcing evreyone to recognize the x-men as the rulers of the world?

No Cyclops is not blameless in this, he will still need be held accountable for his actions, however Avengers are not to blame either, there lack of diplomacy in this matter is disturbing.

Not once did they declare themselves rulers of the world. Re-read the event please.

#86 Posted by acer51 (2253 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kain said:

@acer51 said:

@Osian2: How about declaring himself supreme authority over the entire world, forcing evreyone to recognize the x-men as the rulers of the world?

No Cyclops is not blameless in this, he will still need be held accountable for his actions, however Avengers are not to blame either, there lack of diplomacy in this matter is disturbing.

Not once did they declare themselves rulers of the world. Re-read the event please.

Maybe you should learn to read in between the lines.

#87 Posted by Kain (197 posts) - - Show Bio

@acer51 said:

@Kain said:

@acer51 said:

Oh? You mean make up events that didn't happen like you are? No, I'd rather pay attention to what actually happened than make up complete crap.

#88 Posted by acer51 (2253 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kain said:

@acer51 said:

@Kain said:

@acer51 said:

Oh? You mean make up events that didn't happen like you are? No, I'd rather pay attention to what actually happened than make up complete crap.

They were dictating to the world,it's not my problem if you can't figure out what that means due to your own denial .

Besides, it wasn't entirely there fault they were under influence of the Phoenix force, it impaired there judgment.

#89 Posted by Dayvid3 (826 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not the most engaging character, but seems to be on target enough. I'm really most unhappy with how all the other characters seem to misread him. Such as being possessed and all by phoenix Everybody blames him as if he clear headed stone cold killed xavier. I'd be nice to get a clear vision of what his lines are and what his goals are. The self righteous characters that are so against hi, kinda make me want to side with him

#90 Posted by Avenger85 (1988 posts) - - Show Bio

Haters gonna hate.

#91 Posted by Fallen_Crippled (6460 posts) - - Show Bio

He has become duller, but I will always support Cyclops. Marvel just needs to write him better.

#92 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Not impressed with him. He's becoming a hollowed out character.

#93 Posted by Avenger85 (1988 posts) - - Show Bio

TBH, although he was manipulated into the whole Madelyn Pryor disaster, he was also not entirely innocent in the whole thing. And after ALL the shit that he has gone through till now, I think he has paid the price for all the harm/wrong he has done. His entire character ( heroic ) got destroyed in the process.

The guy deserves a second chance, at least from The X-Men, Jean and the Avengers. If they gave Scarlet Witch a second chance, then Scott definitely deserves it. The current version will redeem himself, and the young version is surely gonna help, so I think there will be more reason to like him than hate him in the near future...

#94 Posted by LipstickZombie (91 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always hated Scott....well kinda. When he was with Jean he was a tool but when he was with Emma he was a lot more likable. I surprisingly like the turn Scott has taken down the road of Crazy. At least he actually has a personality now.

#95 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@LipstickZombie said:

I've always hated Scott....well kinda. When he was with Jean he was a tool but when he was with Emma he was a lot more likable. I surprisingly like the turn Scott has taken down the road of Crazy. At least he actually has a personality now.

This is incorrect, he always had a personality. Do not confuse gratuitous over the top actions as personality. Just because Cyclops wasn't cutting X's into people faces doesn't mean he didn't have a personality.

Cyclops is easily my favourite Marvel character, but he died around X-Men 500. The guy wearing his costume is just a fraud. There's nothing left of the real Cyclops. Just been turned into a foil for the now Mary Sue universal moral centre Wolverine.

#96 Posted by TDK_1997 (15084 posts) - - Show Bio

In AvX I hated everyone.But I grew to like Cyclops a lot since he became more of a bad @$$ and when he started going out with Emma.His character took a different turn and made him more likeable for me.

#97 Posted by Avenger85 (1988 posts) - - Show Bio

BTW guys who hate Cyclops should check out the Comic Book Resources forums. It's hilarious how much they hate that guy over there. It's like the 2nd coming of Judas lol. And for totally absurd reasons, without doing any research or checking the background etc. Like that guy just "dumped" Maddie and the kid for no reason whatsoever, and he is the sole reason for all the disasters that happened in AvX.

It's just too funny.

#98 Posted by slimlim (266 posts) - - Show Bio

A mark of a good character has always been his/her ability to change. And the fact that Cyclops had good moments and bad make the character more interesting to me. I may have been annoyed with the way some things happened, but overall im glad he's no longer a goody-two-shoes boyscout. Or worse... Superman.

#99 Posted by Toa_Manaia (128 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@LipstickZombie said:

This is incorrect, he always had a personality. Do not confuse gratuitous over the top actions as personality. Just because Cyclops wasn't cutting X's into people faces doesn't mean he didn't have a personality.

Cyclops is easily my favourite Marvel character, but he died around X-Men 500. The guy wearing his costume is just a fraud. There's nothing left of the real Cyclops. Just been turned into a foil for the now Mary Sue universal moral centre Wolverine.

I have always been in Scotts corner, he has been the leader of the xmen for most of the time he has existed in the comics and I do think that he is a foil or plot device to get Wolvie even more "over" with comic book readers, seriously WTF, Wolverine is allowed to kill people and still be seen as moralistic, whilst Cyclops can't do the same, I still can't understand the Wolverine being holier than thou mentality of comic book reader at the moment.

And for the record, @zr0c00l said:

i cant believe so many people are hating on cyclops. hes more interesting than hes ever been, i love the direction hes gone since messiah complex. and frakk the avemgers on this, how dare they try to say anything about anyone, or even try to call themselves heroes when they let scarlet witch be free to walk around knowing shes the cause of an entire race nearing extinction. cap says shes an avenger and we deal with our own, but hey im gonna come into utopia and demand you give up your messiah. the fact shes an xman and this is an xman problem means nothing to me. the fact that you guys have all the experience in dealing with the phoenix means nothing also cause i got two hulks and a god i can call on you. caps a super hypocrite on this one., but somehow the hero of the story cyclops is taking all the fallout. scarlet with needs to be jailed or executed for her crimes and rogers should resign as director of shield for his botched handling of this incident.

This and I completely agree well said sir

#100 Posted by leonkarlen123 (5134 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't take this sh1t, hope you get optic blasted when i am done with my machine that makes comic real life.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.