Does his optic blast have some sort of heat?

#1 Posted by xmentas (175 posts) - - Show Bio

I know everyone says it's just concussive force, In two of the first Uncanny comics (back when It was just The X-men) Cyclops frees himself from some sort of prison by using his beams and stating "the heat of the blast will break the chains" or so. I'll look for the scans. Maybe these "heat scans" marvel decided to remove from the main story or what? Has anyone seen those scenes?

#2 Posted by Holaso (78 posts) - - Show Bio

Heat could be a by product of repeated concussive force. Think of it as friction acting on a material. the actual beam doesn't have heat but the point of impact will produce heat over time.

#3 Posted by Degalon (743 posts) - - Show Bio

@xmentas:

Officially, no, they are purely concussive force, though, like Holaso said, I guess heat COULD be produced via friction, but thats it.

HOWEVER, many writers don't do any research, and just think Cykes eye beams are the same as Superman's heat vision, because both are red.

#4 Posted by turoksonofstone (12901 posts) - - Show Bio

@Degalon said:

@xmentas:

Officially, no, they are purely concussive force, though, like Holaso said, I guess heat COULD be produced via friction, but thats it.

HOWEVER, many writers don't do any research, and just think Cykes eye beams are the same as Superman's heat vision, because both are red.

#5 Posted by xmentas (175 posts) - - Show Bio

great input, thanks all.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.