Does Bryan Singer secretly hate Cyclops?

#1 Posted by flameboy298 (1908 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean why wasn't he in X-men first Class?Also I just re-watched X-2 and he didn't have much screen time,and not to mention Singer said he couldn't bring Cyclops back.I mean seriously....It seems like they just care about Wolverine more than Cyke

#2 Posted by War Killer (20336 posts) - - Show Bio

If everything goes like it seems it will, I have a feeling that Days of Future Past will be Fox's way of rebooting the X-Men movies, setting the cast of First Class down a new timeline different from the one in the first movies. This would mean that Cyclops would be alive again and they could possibly bring him back in later movies alongside younger versions of Jean, Storm, Iceman, etc.

#3 Posted by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

THere are a lot of Slim Haters so MetH wouldn't be against Cyke.

Every fan Has a cHaracter tHey dont care for and can't see wHat's tHe Hype for.

Raimi doesn't like Venom. MetH does not like Jean at all. If MetH was a director for a X-Men movie, MetH would specifically avoid using Jean, because sHowing How bad of a cHaracter sHe is would create a Huge amount of NerdRage.

June'sVeryOwn ABstract4$$#073

#4 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33882 posts) - - Show Bio

@flameboy298: first class was set in the past, how the hell could Scott be there?

#5 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22182 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33882 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: damn I wasn't paying attention and missed it lol

Thanks duder.

#7 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyke has had a bad showing, and he should be recast, I don't like that actor James Marsden in that role. He looks like he smiling everytime you look at him in any movie. Singer had to hate the character to cast this guy! This guy cast as the X-Men as Cyclops has to be a sign of hate. Marsden is funny in movies.

#9 Edited by DADDY_XERO (75 posts) - - Show Bio

@flameboy298: first class was set in the past, how the hell could Scott be there?

Scott is older than Alex. surely if the movie is set in the past than Scott should be the one more likely to appear in the movies.

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33882 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

Scott is older than Alex. surely if the movie is set in the past than Scott should be the one more likely to appear in the movies.

Not in the movies he isn't, Alex is the same age as Prof X and Magneto

#11 Posted by ptigrusmagus (493 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought everyone secretly hates Scott Summers and loves Logan.

#12 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

lol I think Brett Ratner hates Cyclops.

Anyways, not only did the scripts not allow Cyclops do star and be the leader, James Mardsen wasn't even a good actor, so there's that...

Hopefully Days of Future Past, brings him back (preferably with a new actor) and makes him the leader he's supposed to be.

#13 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops didn't do much in the films other than offer Wolverine somebody to annoy. Then they killed him stupidly. Unfortunately, he's not necessary, but it'd be nice if we got a decent Scott Summers back in after Days of Future Past.

#14 Edited by Lokheit (492 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

Fun thing is, during Wolverine Origins, which is confirmed part of the movie-universe canon, Cyclops is the same age than a young Emma Frost (and both are waaaaaaaaay younger than Xavier when he makes his aparition), then in First Class Emma is the same age than Xavier and Magneto.

So considering that not only they don't respect character canon, to the point where they use the names to take the fans, but show zero respect for the story and even the powers of each character (like Sebastian Shaw with Mr Sinister past and Bishop powers and Emma being Silver Fox's sister who now is a mutant too... really, if the films and its characters had different names they wouldn't be related to the X-Men at all), but they also don't respect THEIR OWN movie universe official canon (add Beast having human form in X-2 to the example about Emma and Xavier age), so technically there is nothing against Cyclops being in first class considering what has happened before and that he has been shown with the same age than a character that appears in first class.

#15 Posted by RDClip (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

Na, I think it's a case of Singer (and later Fox) loving Wolverine to the detriment of almost every other X-Men character. I'd like Fox to make a proper X-Men movie as an ensemble movie rather than a movie with a single main character (First Class was a step in the right direction with having two main characters). However, I don't think they have faith in any other character's popularity to stand up to Wolverine. So, I guess for as long as Hugh Jackman is in these movies, they will be Wolvie based.

#16 Posted by phisigmatau (522 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah being force fed wolverine sucks

and it hasn't even been a good wolverine

#17 Posted by MideonNViscera (372 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyke has had a bad showing, and he should be recast, I don't like that actor James Marsden in that role. He looks like he smiling everytime you look at him in any movie. Singer had to hate the character to cast this guy! This guy cast as the X-Men as Cyclops has to be a sign of hate. Marsden is funny in movies.

Clearly this casting was inspired by Greg Land's version of Cyclops haha

#18 Posted by slimlim (266 posts) - - Show Bio

Bryan Singer doesn't hate Cyclops. But i don't think he either cares, or has bothered to understand the character at all.

#19 Posted by darkbeam (2375 posts) - - Show Bio

Singer just needs to read more X-Men comics with Cyclops in them,so he can understand Cyke more,Becuase he's a awesome character.

#20 Posted by Jeremy1989 (700 posts) - - Show Bio

First off, I like to say MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all!

Second, I like to say no, he doesn't hate Cyclops, but he did make Cyclops his whipping boy through out the trilogy. The death was just an insult to injury.

Third, he made Wolverine the complete center of the entire X-Men Cinematic Universe. Which is unnecessary, for this should be centered around everyone. Not just Charles, Wolverine, and Magneto, but EVERYONE. Including minor characters. Thus X-Men: First Class was a perfect example. Bryan should either take notes from that movie, or give the movie to some other filmmaker.

#21 Posted by Jake Fury (18928 posts) - - Show Bio

Marsden always seems to play the default whipping boy.

#22 Posted by flameboy298 (1908 posts) - - Show Bio

Guess I was wrong

#23 Posted by XxEdward_KenwayXx (560 posts) - - Show Bio

You were wrong, cyclops is back!!!

#24 Posted by Darling_Luna (4179 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't it Ratner ?

#25 Posted by flameboy298 (1908 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Edited by Ms-Lola (3176 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer said:

If everything goes like it seems it will, I have a feeling that Days of Future Past will be Fox's way of rebooting the X-Men movies, setting the cast of First Class down a new timeline different from the one in the first movies. This would mean that Cyclops would be alive again and they could possibly bring him back in later movies alongside younger versions of Jean, Storm, Iceman, etc.

No freaking way, haha. You (if this user is still around) can see into the future. Fantastic.

Don't look under the spoiler tag if you haven't seen the movie yet.

#27 Posted by Wolverine08 (43534 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#28 Edited by War Killer (20336 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer said:

No freaking way, haha. You (if this user is still around) can see into the future. Fantastic.

Don't look under the spoiler tag if you haven't seen the movie yet.

Having just saw the new movie, I'll admit that I didn't expect to see both Scott and Jean appear at the end in the "new" future. That was a nice little easter egg Singer decided to throw in there. To me it came off as his way of saying, "see, I fixed The Last Stand for you." lol

#29 Posted by Ms-Lola (3176 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer:

Yes, me too! I felt so vindicated after the movie ended, haha.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.