Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Does Bryan Singer secretly hate Cyclops?

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I mean why wasn't he in X-men first Class?Also I just re-watched X-2 and he didn't have much screen time,and not to mention Singer said he couldn't bring Cyclops back.I mean seriously....It seems like they just care about Wolverine more than Cyke

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

If everything goes like it seems it will, I have a feeling that Days of Future Past will be Fox's way of rebooting the X-Men movies, setting the cast of First Class down a new timeline different from the one in the first movies. This would mean that Cyclops would be alive again and they could possibly bring him back in later movies alongside younger versions of Jean, Storm, Iceman, etc.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THere are a lot of Slim Haters so MetH wouldn't be against Cyke.

Every fan Has a cHaracter tHey dont care for and can't see wHat's tHe Hype for.

Raimi doesn't like Venom. MetH does not like Jean at all. If MetH was a director for a X-Men movie, MetH would specifically avoid using Jean, because sHowing How bad of a cHaracter sHe is would create a Huge amount of NerdRage.

June'sVeryOwn ABstract4$$#073

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@flameboy298: first class was set in the past, how the hell could Scott be there?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Cyke has had a bad showing, and he should be recast, I don't like that actor James Marsden in that role. He looks like he smiling everytime you look at him in any movie. Singer had to hate the character to cast this guy! This guy cast as the X-Men as Cyclops has to be a sign of hate. Marsden is funny in movies.

DADDY_XERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DADDY_XERO

@flameboy298: first class was set in the past, how the hell could Scott be there?

Scott is older than Alex. surely if the movie is set in the past than Scott should be the one more likely to appear in the movies.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

Scott is older than Alex. surely if the movie is set in the past than Scott should be the one more likely to appear in the movies.

Not in the movies he isn't, Alex is the same age as Prof X and Magneto

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought everyone secretly hates Scott Summers and loves Logan.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

lol I think Brett Ratner hates Cyclops.

Anyways, not only did the scripts not allow Cyclops do star and be the leader, James Mardsen wasn't even a good actor, so there's that...

Hopefully Days of Future Past, brings him back (preferably with a new actor) and makes him the leader he's supposed to be.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By fodigg

Cyclops didn't do much in the films other than offer Wolverine somebody to annoy. Then they killed him stupidly. Unfortunately, he's not necessary, but it'd be nice if we got a decent Scott Summers back in after Days of Future Past.

Lokheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lokheit

@jonny_anonymous said:

Fun thing is, during Wolverine Origins, which is confirmed part of the movie-universe canon, Cyclops is the same age than a young Emma Frost (and both are waaaaaaaaay younger than Xavier when he makes his aparition), then in First Class Emma is the same age than Xavier and Magneto.

So considering that not only they don't respect character canon, to the point where they use the names to take the fans, but show zero respect for the story and even the powers of each character (like Sebastian Shaw with Mr Sinister past and Bishop powers and Emma being Silver Fox's sister who now is a mutant too... really, if the films and its characters had different names they wouldn't be related to the X-Men at all), but they also don't respect THEIR OWN movie universe official canon (add Beast having human form in X-2 to the example about Emma and Xavier age), so technically there is nothing against Cyclops being in first class considering what has happened before and that he has been shown with the same age than a character that appears in first class.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Na, I think it's a case of Singer (and later Fox) loving Wolverine to the detriment of almost every other X-Men character. I'd like Fox to make a proper X-Men movie as an ensemble movie rather than a movie with a single main character (First Class was a step in the right direction with having two main characters). However, I don't think they have faith in any other character's popularity to stand up to Wolverine. So, I guess for as long as Hugh Jackman is in these movies, they will be Wolvie based.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah being force fed wolverine sucks

and it hasn't even been a good wolverine

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Cyke has had a bad showing, and he should be recast, I don't like that actor James Marsden in that role. He looks like he smiling everytime you look at him in any movie. Singer had to hate the character to cast this guy! This guy cast as the X-Men as Cyclops has to be a sign of hate. Marsden is funny in movies.

Clearly this casting was inspired by Greg Land's version of Cyclops haha

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bryan Singer doesn't hate Cyclops. But i don't think he either cares, or has bothered to understand the character at all.

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Singer just needs to read more X-Men comics with Cyclops in them,so he can understand Cyke more,Becuase he's a awesome character.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First off, I like to say MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all!

Second, I like to say no, he doesn't hate Cyclops, but he did make Cyclops his whipping boy through out the trilogy. The death was just an insult to injury.

Third, he made Wolverine the complete center of the entire X-Men Cinematic Universe. Which is unnecessary, for this should be centered around everyone. Not just Charles, Wolverine, and Magneto, but EVERYONE. Including minor characters. Thus X-Men: First Class was a perfect example. Bryan should either take notes from that movie, or give the movie to some other filmmaker.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Marsden always seems to play the default whipping boy.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess I was wrong

Avatar image for xxedward_kenwayxx
    XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You were wrong, cyclops is back!!!

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Wasn't it Ratner ?

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@war_killer said:

If everything goes like it seems it will, I have a feeling that Days of Future Past will be Fox's way of rebooting the X-Men movies, setting the cast of First Class down a new timeline different from the one in the first movies. This would mean that Cyclops would be alive again and they could possibly bring him back in later movies alongside younger versions of Jean, Storm, Iceman, etc.

No freaking way, haha. You (if this user is still around) can see into the future. Fantastic.

Don't look under the spoiler tag if you haven't seen the movie yet.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#28  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@war_killer said:

No freaking way, haha. You (if this user is still around) can see into the future. Fantastic.

Don't look under the spoiler tag if you haven't seen the movie yet.

Having just saw the new movie, I'll admit that I didn't expect to see both Scott and Jean appear at the end in the "new" future. That was a nice little easter egg Singer decided to throw in there. To me it came off as his way of saying, "see, I fixed The Last Stand for you." lol

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@war_killer:

Yes, me too! I felt so vindicated after the movie ended, haha.

Bastion76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy298: singer doesn't hate Cyclops he just puts more of a focus on Wolverine and Rogue because of several reasons

1. They're the most relatable in terms of discovering the x Men. They don't know too much about the Brotherhood or the X Men or the different ideologies. They're the audience essentially

2. One strong characters or a handful of bland characters. It's hard dare I say impossible to have an ensemble film where everybody gets good develop and no one gets the short end. Unless it is a three or four hour movie it just isn't gonna happen. With the avengers none of them really stand out but aren't necessarily bad either. And considering Batman and Robin was heavily criticized for having too many characters none of whom stood out and all of which underwritten what do you think will be the most logical choice for this modern superhero movie since it has been dead?

It is just simply was easier and better to have one strong lead in an ensemble movie than a bunch of bland characters and they picked Wolverine because he's just the most popular and easiest to convey information to the audience making any exposition scene feel natural and not forced

Also First Class was at the helm of Matthew Vaughn this time and he has his heart set on setting it in the 60s when the X Men first began and obviously fox would want the main X Men to be in modern times

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb52f8f25413
    deactivated-5bb52f8f25413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bryan Singer doesn't understand ANYTHING about the X-Men and only cares about Wolverine. I think he NEEDS to pay attention more to the original X-Men: Cyclops, Iceman, Beast, Angel and Jean Grey. And why the hell did they give to spotlight on Wolverine? Why did they screw up X-Men: The Last Stand? Why they make Phoenix a split personality instead of a cosmic entity who can easily erase Wolverine from existence? Why did they really underpower Iceman?.

Cyclops is the X-Men's leader but why did they kill him off? Lol.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bryan Singer suck, he doesn't understand ANYTHING about the X-Men and only cares about Wolverine. He NEEDS to pay attention more to the original X-Men: Cyclops, Iceman, Beast, Angel and Jean Grey. And why the hell did they give to spotlight on Wolverine? Why did they screw up X-Men: The Last Stand? Why they make Phoenix a split personality instead of a cosmic entity who can easily erase Wolverine from existence? Why did they really underpower Iceman? That's stupid. And no one at 20th Century Fox understands Cyclops' powers. And Bryan Singer also hates Cyclops. Cyclops is the X-Men's leader but why did they kill him off and instead makes Wolverine the hero who kills Phoenix? That's weird. In the comics, Phoenix would easily kill Wolverine without trying.

bingo

Cosmiccelest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The movie Universe don't treat the characters history the same as the comics. The O5 X men were Jean, Cyclops, Beast, Iceman and Angel however in the movie universe they are all from different generations. Beast seems to be born around the 1940's along with Xavier and Magneto. Jean, Cyclops and Angel seem to be born in the 1970's. Iceman seems to be born within the 1980's alongside Rogue. X men first class presents Xavier first students as Dawrin, Mystique, Erik, Havok, Beast and Banshee.

James Marderson makes a great Cyclops. He totally has the look. He also did good acting wise it is just that the movie focused more on Wolverine than Cyclops. The Main focus of the original X3 movies were Rogue, Wolverine, Jean and Magneto. Everyone else played Minor roles. I don't blame the actor I blame the writing. Not that he was written badly just not with enough screentime. Even the other movies have this problem with making Mystique, Xavier and Magneto the main focuses. Havoks character was treated worse than Cyclops.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
    deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think he kind of does.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.