Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Do you think cyclops needs an upgrade

lade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lade

Since his introduction, cyclops is the only mutant I can think of that hasn't undergone any significant growth of expansion in mutant ability or a lack of variance in what his powers can offer him, though with him finally gaining control of his mutant ability that may change.I have several theories on possible expansions in power if not versatility for him.

-he gains control of his apertures(his true power, to explore a possible connection he has to the universe he derives his energy blasts from)

-explore how his body metabolizes energy

-shift the point of manifestation of the blasts to his hands or other parts of his body.

These are just suggestions, what do you think?

Post Edited:2008-01-15 09:16:43

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hadrelius

I agree he's been the same since he 1st appeared.

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By speedlgt

hes been the same because really what can you do with him? he shoots blasts from his eyes! thats his power thats his gimmick. If you give him anything else thats just kinda of silly at this point. and do we really need an other hero that can shoot blasts out of there hands? look his character is this

muant who shoot powerful blasts through his eyes, strong leader, the only true X_MEN field commander, good fighting skills.

now you could maybe give some gadgets or implants or make him a better fighter but reall all of those are not needed

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mighty Magneto

The man needs something not sure what

Bloody Bastard got Emma Frost

Lord Blackbolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lord Blackbolt

i don't know how you could change him. maybe that's why he never got an up-grade since his first appearance. i think the best thing they could do now is kill him. maybe then he will come back like Jean(over and over again) and gain some new powers.

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mighty Magneto

I do like the killing him idea just not bring him back to life

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By speedlgt

dude! I got it!

cy and havok should be like fused together like DBZ style but ya know in a non geek comic book story. it would explain why there blasts dont hurt eachother and then you get a new powerhouse to lead the xmen who can do all kinda of blasts, beat the HULK, and sleep with the hottest marvel chicks.

and his name is.....cycvok! king of muatants

Lord Blackbolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lord Blackbolt

Mighty Magneto says:

"I do like the killing him idea just not bring him back to life"

yeah i can live with him just staying dead but you know that's not what marvel would do.

Lord Blackbolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lord Blackbolt

speedlgt says:

"dude! I got it! cy and havok should be like fused together like DBZ style but ya know in a non geek comic book story. it would explain why there blasts dont hurt eachother and then you get a new powerhouse to lead the xmen who can do all kinda of blasts, beat the HULK, and sleep with the hottest marvel chicks. and his name is.....cycvok! king of muatants"

are you kidding, that sounds like some stupid SH!T Joe Q would do.

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By speedlgt

well yeah! but its not that far out there remember the "supersolider" and "dark claw"

give it a shot if its written well who knows.

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Phorqe

It will probably never happen, but he should become a horseman of Apocalypse. He'll be a foot taller, stronger, more durable and have tendrils that come out of his shoulders. He defeats the X-men single handedly and forces them to relocate.

Kraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kraven

speedlgt says:

"hes been the same because really what can you do with him? he shoots blasts from his eyes! thats his power thats his gimmick. If you give him anything else thats just kinda of silly at this point. and do we really need an other hero that can shoot blasts out of there hands? look his character is this muant who shoot powerful blasts through his eyes, strong leader, the only true X_MEN field commander, good fighting skills."

I agree. You can't make Cyc shoot from his hands, that's Havoc's thing.

I don't think he needs any gadgets or increased fighting skills. There's already too many gadget wielders & martial artists out there.

I've thought before that they could stand to change the look of his visor but the problem is that it's his namesake so you can't really mess with it.

Cyclops appeal comes from his character relation to the rest of the team, not his powers. Cyclops character provides for a lot of character driven conflict that improves the story of X-Men overall. ie: Romantic involvements with Emma & Jean, personality & 'Jean' conflicts with Wolverine, questions of leadership between him and the Professor, anything to do with Havoc or Vulcan...

These are the things that make Cyclops an essential element to X-Men, even though his abilities sometimes seem lame.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sling Shot

Cyke's upgrade needs to be the writing that depicts him. Joss whedon has given that upgrade in astonishing, noe if other writer's would do the same Cyke would be straight.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Make him red. And angry.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#15  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I don't think he needs a power upgrade, just to be portrayed how he is in Astonishing everywhere else. If anything remotely powers related should be increased I think it should be his tactical abilities, but that's more of a skill. Even then though I wouldn't like some Midnighter-esque garbage, just more obvious use of how smart he already is.

Sling Shot says:

"Cyke's upgrade needs to be the writing that depicts him. Joss whedon has given that upgrade in astonishing, noe if other writer's would do the same Cyke would be straight."

I agree with that fully.

Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Forever

I agree.

lade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lade

I was always of the opinion , that he should develop a non-offensive ability such as flight to balance out his powerful offensive abilities or increased physical ability even is not a progression in power.

While he has one of the most powerful weapons among the x-men his lack of defensive/mobility powers to increase survival at the very least boost his ability to absorb ambient energy.
    Post Edited:2008-01-16 11:57:17

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Buckshot has a point. Batman is known for his tactical and strategical genius, I think the writers should approach Cyclops the same way. He's only the leader of one of the greatest teams ever in comics, he should be portrayed as such.

Doomhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Doomhunter

Gambler says:

"Buckshot has a point. Batman is known for his tactical and strategical genius, I think the writers should approach Cyclops the same way. He's only the leader of one of the greatest teams ever in comics, he should be portrayed as such."

I agree....he ain't respected...

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20  Edited By The_Martian

Didn't his visor change so he doesn't have to push a button but opens on mental command? Thats an upgrade.

vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By vegeta

dead

Dormath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dormath

I would expect him by now to be able to control his blast on his own no visor needed so his eyes could return to normal or somthing like that.

Dormath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dormath

Post Deleted.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Static Shock

Him as a character needs to be upgraded. He seems very boring as a character. Nice power, but boring character.

Unbelonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Unbelonger

Well, in my opinion they shouldn't do that. The visor is quite the only "unique" thing he physically has, if you take that away he would look plain.

zzzzzzzzzz

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Static Shock

Unbelonger says:

"Well, in my opinion they shouldn't do that. The visor is quite the only "unique" thing he physically has, if you take that away he would look plain.zzzzzzzzzz "

Cyclops with out his visor would make him even more boring.

kheranlord12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By kheranlord12

I think they should take his leadership and tactical skills to a whole new level.

elevatorparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By elevatorparty

I think he should start collecting the gadgets that we've seen the X-men use and show us that he can use them in a tactical manner.  
    Imagine Bastion attacking the X-men and out runs wolverine, so Bastion changes his defenses to deal with wolverine but suddenly wolvie hits him with an optic blast to reveal its Cyclops using an image inducer.   
    And I think he should start wearing Magneto's helmet or redesigning it to match his costume should he ever need to fight a telepath.  
    I think with a friend like Forge he could definitely have a few secret gadgets.  
    he could carry a mobile version of the danger room with him so that he can change the landscape of the battlefield to suit him. Or to create illusions that distract his enemies.

If you want to upgrade his power just start using different colours for his optic blasts and have them have a different effect. Actually scrap that - it sounds like something Hal Jordan would do.   

My favourite Cyclops scene is when Morrison had him threaten a student with a broken leg, the student didnt back down so Cycke just nails him. He needs to be portrayed as a guy that can beat most people just by looking at them. Instead on most occassions we see him fire off a blast at someone and it barely stuns them but they are ok, and then i dunno - rogue finishes the job or something and cyclops looks sh!t. 

I think from reading everyone's comments the most important thing to do is to remind readers that Cyclops is like Captain America - his main super power is leading people and behaving tactically and carrying that weight of responsibility that isolates him from almost everyone. 

kheranlord12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kheranlord12
    @elevatorparty said:
    "I think he should start collecting the gadgets that we've seen the X-men use and show us that he can use them in a tactical manner.  Imagine Bastion attacking the X-men and out runs wolverine, so Bastion changes his defenses to deal with wolverine but suddenly wolvie hits him with an optic blast to reveal its Cyclops using an image inducer.   And I think he should start wearing Magneto's helmet or redesigning it to match his costume should he ever need to fight a telepath.  I think with a friend like Forge he could definitely have a few secret gadgets.  he could carry a mobile version of the danger room with him so that he can change the landscape of the battlefield to suit him. Or to create illusions that distract his enemies. If you want to upgrade his power just start using different colours for his optic blasts and have them have a different effect. Actually scrap that - it sounds like something Hal Jordan would do.    My favourite Cyclops scene is when Morrison had him threaten a student with a broken leg, the student didnt back down so Cycke just nails him. He needs to be portrayed as a guy that can beat most people just by looking at them. Instead on most occassions we see him fire off a blast at someone and it barely stuns them but they are ok, and then i dunno - rogue finishes the job or something and cyclops looks sh!t.  I think from reading everyone's comments the most important thing to do is to remind readers that Cyclops is like Captain America - his main super power is leading people and behaving tactically and carrying that weight of responsibility that isolates him from almost everyone.  "

His tactical skills should be on Captain America level if not then greater because he has near superhuman spatial awareness
    elevatorparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By elevatorparty
    @warlord1234: i agree. although how spatial awareness would help you as a leader is beyond me. 
    kheranlord12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kheranlord12
    @elevatorparty said:
    " @warlord1234: i agree. although how spatial awareness would help you as a leader is beyond me.  "
    I did not not mention that his spatial awareness would increse leadership skills i said that it would increase his tactica; skills. He should be able to see estimate what his foe are going to do.
    WoundingFactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WoundingFactor

I think the best way to upgrade him would be to either give him back that control over his blasts emanating or not that he had briefly in Astonishing X-men on Breakworld, or maybe some genuinely better control and focusing of his blasts. Yes, we've seen him create thin beams, wide cones, and lots of stuff in between, but through it all, he's basically Captain Collateral Damage. I'd like to see Cyclops conquer one of the things he's always feared about his power: its destructive potential. Suppose he's got a field of enemies surrounding one of his students. The Cyclops we know can't just let loose and clobber them all without risking said student's safety, but what if he could focus  his blasts more carefully to create an arching effect that would leave a hole in the blast? I mean, the blast comes from both his eyes, right? So maybe it's time he was able to create a blindspot of sorts when emanating his blasts.

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#33  Edited By DATNIGGA

@lade said:

Since his introduction, cyclops is the only mutant I can think of that hasn't undergone any significant growth of expansion in mutant ability or a lack of variance in what his powers can offer him, though with him finally gaining control of his mutant ability that may change.I have several theories on possible expansions in power if not versatility for him.

-he gains control of his apertures(his true power, to explore a possible connection he has to the universe he derives his energy blasts from)

-explore how his body metabolizes energy

-shift the point of manifestation of the blasts to his hands or other parts of his body.

These are just suggestions, what do you think?

Post Edited:2008-01-15 09:16:43

they recently upgraded him

No Caption Provided
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheCrowbar

@DATNIGGA: what is that from? And what's the upgrade I can't tell.

NazarethSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NazarethSavage
    @TheCrowbar said:

Same here..I have no clue what's going on in that scan.
    DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#36  Edited By DATNIGGA

@TheCrowbar said:

@NazarethSavage said:

@TheCrowbar said:

Same here..I have no clue what's going on in that scan.

Its From all new x men 3 thats coming out next week

http://i.newsarama.com/images/anxmen2012003_int_lr_0005.jpg

thats the full pic not cropped

basically from what I can tell is cyke's blasts are alot stronger now hes having difficulty controlling them

but if you notice he can now surround himself with the beams sort of like a shield so this upgrade gives him defensive properties

there might be more to this but.. we have to wait & see how his powers turn out

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.