Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11209 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Cyclops vs Superman - Battle of the eyes

Sir_Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Sir_Deadpool

When I started reading Prelude to Schism for the second time today I had to think about something very hardly.

In Prelude to Schism #2 there is something said about the power cyclops eyes have or rather his laser beam. It says that his laser is as hard as a ten-trillion-volt-generator.

No Caption Provided

Then I thought of different things:

Is it really a value you can relie on? Or was it used to overdo the situation?

And if this value is really what the laser is about which value would have superman or are they even comprehensive?

I really came to no conclusion. So what about you? What do you think who would win if both beams would meet. Cyclops or rather Superman with his laser eyes?

Tell me about your thoughts because i really do not know who would win and if the value which is named in Prelude #2 is value you can relie on.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

It's a common misconception that Cyclops' optic blasts are lasers. They're concussive, not lasers. They deliver a destructive punching force. Although it's probably been retconned since. But as a concussive force, it wouldn't be the same as Superman's powers.

Sir_Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sir_Deadpool

@xerox_kitty: First of all thanks a lot for clarify me about the fact that cyclops has a optic blas not lasers. Maybe i noticed before but never see a real diffrence until now. You said, they were not the same as Superman's powers. Means it, that Supermans powers were stronger or weaker? And what about the ten-trillion value that was mentioned?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@Sir_Deadpool said:

@xerox_kitty: First of all thanks a lot for clarify me about the fact that cyclops has a optic blas not lasers. Maybe i noticed before but never see a real diffrence until now. You said, they were not the same as Superman's powers. Means it, that Supermans powers were stronger or weaker? And what about the ten-trillion value that was mentioned?

She means they are different as in they are different. Superman has heat vision, it's concentrated heat blasts, incinerating things and burning them. Scott's blasts are just pure concussive force, they produce no heat on their own except friction heat if blasted for a longer time. It's like getting punched by someone super strong instead of getting burnt.

No Caption Provided
    Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 43

#5  Edited By Joygirl

...Why is Cyclops torturing a guy...? I know it's off-topic but WTF?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@Joygirl said:

It sure as hell is funny.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Joygirl said:

Everybody needs a hobby.

That and the whole fate of mutantkind hanging in the balance.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Joygirl said:

Matt Fraction was trying to make Cyke more badass. The previous issue he even had sex during the middle of a mission. Badass right? Plus you know... whole mutant kind being endangered... has to procreate like a boss... then Magneto kneeled in front of him! Badass. 
    Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#9  Edited By Joygirl

Procreate! (like a BAUS!) Torture people! (like a BAUS!) Lead the team! (like a BAUS!) Be a grating and not-well-loved character! (like a BAUS!)

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jhazzroucher

@god_spawn said:

@Joygirl said:

It sure as hell is funny.

possibly due to Emma's influence.

Sir_Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sir_Deadpool

@god_spawn said:

@Sir_Deadpool said:

She means they are different as in they are different. Superman has heat vision, it's concentrated heat blasts, incinerating things and burning them. Scott's blasts are just pure concussive force, they produce no heat on their own except friction heat if blasted for a longer time. It's like getting punched by someone super strong instead of getting burnt.

No Caption Provided

yeah okay got it heat vision is something different than optic blasts. so you can not compare them? especially in power level?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@Sir_Deadpool: Superman is far superior, he did manage to heat up an entire planet. To my knowledge Cyclops' best blast split a mountain in half but I vaguely remember it but I could be wrong on how it went down. If it is correct it is still powerful, but not close to Superman.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@Sir_Deadpool: Also forgot to mention, Superman's beams can push people back too, but they have the added benefit of burning the person too and can be more focused or spread out than Cyclops' blasts.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @SC said:
    @Joygirl said:
     Matt Fraction was trying to make Cyke more badass. The previous issue he even had sex during the middle of a mission. Badass right? Plus you know... whole mutant kind being endangered... has to procreate like a boss... then Magneto kneeled in front of him! Badass. 
    Makes you kind of wish our species was on the brink of extinction. "WHAT NOW KELLY SHOUPER! I AM THE LAST MAN ON EARTH!" 

(There is no Kelly Shouper)
    Sir_Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sir_Deadpool

@god_spawn: thsank you. now i have managed to get a clear picture of the diffrence between both powers.

so now i just feel some kind of mad about this conclusion. supermans heat vision is just one out of many powers he has. cyclops blast is his only power. so i'm dissapointed that one of supermans opowers can be stronger than the powers who original just got THIS one power.

i never liked superman that much because he was some kind of a perfect character. but now i even more think about that fact. this really sucks in my opinion

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Billy Batson

Been done?

BB

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@Billy Batson: In a battle thread yeah.

@Sir_Deadpool: I'm glad I could help.

Well a lot of characters rip off one another and Superman is supposed to be super. Namor was the first superhero to fly, but I don't get ticked that 60% of superheroes now a days fly. But there is a difference in their powers Superman has the added benefit of using heat in his laser vision which can be used on a molecular level, or spread it out and heat a whole planet but given his strength set it makes sense he is that powerful.

No Caption Provided

Cyclops is still physically a human and he isn't even peak human at that, I don't see why he would need the power Superman has considering who Scott fights. He isn't fighting Doomsday, other Kryptonians, Darkseid and so on. I quite frankly don't know who came first in using the optic blast, heat vision between the two, but it isn't like Cyclops is just one dimensional with his power. He has amazing accuracy for a human and his visor allows all sorts of widths and focus. Not to mention most mutants are afraid of Scott's full power considering he doesn't unleash it often.

No Caption Provided
    Sir_Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sir_Deadpool

@god_spawn: I guess you are right. Never noticed the enemies both have to face. It really makes the difference!

pander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pander1

Superman has used his heat vision against other energy beams, both concussive and heat-based. Kryptonian eyes are just so all purpose :)

I like to think of it like this - if the thing opposing the heat vision is able to withstand the intense heat (and he's able to control how much heat it's giving off), it still will have to contend with the concussive force that the heat vision is dealing out. Most of the times, it's a non-issue, since Superman's heat vision is capable of being hotter than the core of the Sun. It's just an extremely devastating power he has. And I've read where he's used it against Green Lantern energy, other energy beams, other heat vision beams, etc.

Basically, Scott's optic beams would have no chance against Superman's heat vision. Either Cyclops would get incinerated, or the heat vision would be able to beat back the optic blast. The optic blasts may be a very effective weapon, but Superman (and Supergirl and Power Girl, for that matter) have been shown to be capable of withstanding supernova explosions, nuclear bombs, the core of the Sun, and the gravitational forces of a black hole or a neutron star. Scott, on the other hand, is still only a mutant with no invulnerability to anything (except for his own optic blasts, and I think havok's blasts if I'm not mistaken). So even if they passed through each other (which I don't think they would) one would hit and do no damage to the Kryptonian, whereas the other would hit and incinerate the mutant (or maybe knock him down if Superman is using a really low amount of heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiZ8gNC_2zU

Just using that as an example of using heat vision for its concussive force in addition to heat. I could find a bunch of comic book ones as well, but it's rare you see video which makes the point as well :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.