Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Cyclops to leave the X-Men....and join the Avengers?

• 67 results
    Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Baddamdog

A rumour's flying around the net surrounding Cyclops' future. It was recently revealed at SDCC, that Cyclops is leaving the X-Men, and that Emma Frost will take over his team of X-Men, after the events of Schism

Of course it hasn't been revealed yet how or why Cyclops leaves the X-Men, that revelation will come in the last issue of Schism/X-Men: Regenesis. We could, of course, assume that Cyclops dies at the end of the arc, in the usual 'Marvel event style'. However, I believe that Cyclops is too valuable to Marvel, and the X-Men, franchise to kill off.....again. Also, Cyclops is waaaaay too high profile to simply leave the X-Men and fade into obscurity and out of the spotlight if he is to survive Schism. 

However, many writers, including Matt Fraction and Kieron Gillen have said that there is a reason why the other big marvel event, Fear Itself, ends at the same time as Schism, which beckons the question, "why would these two unconnected events, purposely end at the same time?" 

Also revealed at Comic-Con, was this cheeky little future cover/teaser... 
    No Caption Provided
    It seems Cap is looking for potential Avenger members, and included in the candidates photos is Cyclops (tucked in behind Blade).  

Could Cyclops be leaving the X-Men after Schism, and joining the Avengers? The very core of the Avengers, is that it's a team of the world's most premier heroes, and you can't deny that Cyclops is one of Marvel Universe's premier heroes. Not to mention a certain meeting between Cap and Cyke in the Heroic Age! 

How do my fellow viners feel about this? Do you want Cyclops to join the Avengers? Should he? Is it his time to leave the X-Men? 
    AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By AMS

It would be good imo but I get the feeling he would get made to look like a chump and second stringer over time especially next to Capt.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

At this point he is the X-men. Him leaving to join the Avengers is a bad idea. And Wolverine is already on the Avengers, i doubt he will be kicked off the team too considering how big of a cash cow he is. Why take him off his team and put him on another with the guy by the end of this event that he is fighting with? Wolverine i can see leaving the X-men, Cykes I can't and atleast Wolverine would be on one of his other teams.

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Baddamdog
    @AMS: interesting, do you think they'd come to blows over decisions? 
    @god_spawn: hmmm, where do you think Cyke is going then?
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    @Baddamdog: I heard the rumor that Cykes is leaving but considering how vague the report was by one of the staff members or mods who wrote it compared to an interview I read in June about Schism, I was standing by the interview I read. The interview stated the guys were writing Schism as quoted  "are not about killing people or taking big players off the board" so judging by how vague the report was that they might see Cykes as much vs the original authors of the event and Cykes is as big as it gets in terms of X-men right now, but things can change. So my original idea was also based off another rumor coupled with the Schism interview was that Cykes gets injured. My idea is that Cykes is still head of the X-men but due to his injury cannot function as a field man which would require him to make teams to do the X-men's missions hence why Wolverine gets his own X-men book now and Emma Frost has her own team.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cattlebattle
    @god_spawn said:
    @Baddamdog: I heard the rumor that Cykes is leaving but considering how vague the report was by one of the staff members or mods who wrote it compared to an interview I read in June about Schism, I was standing by the interview I read. The interview stated the guys were writing Schism as quoted  "are not about killing people or taking big players off the board" so judging by how vague the report was that they might see Cykes as much vs the original authors of the event and Cykes is as big as it gets in terms of X-men right now, but things can change. So my original idea was also based off another rumor coupled with the Schism interview was that Cykes gets injured. My idea is that Cykes is still head of the X-men but due to his injury cannot function as a field man which would require him to make teams to do the X-men's missions hence why Wolverine gets his own X-men book now and Emma Frost has her own team.
    Has it been confirmed Emma leads that team, I thought I read somewhere that someone else (Xavier my guess) will lead.

Maybe Cyclops will end up in a wheelchair lol,
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    @cattlebattle: I;m guessing it has, but I still don't see him completely leaving the team or dying since the interview. Some one made that joke of him ending up in a wheelchair, which I took seriously cause I can see that happening.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cattlebattle
    @god_spawn said:
    @cattlebattle: I;m guessing it has, but I still don't see him completely leaving the team or dying since the interview. Some one made that joke of him ending up in a wheelchair, which I took seriously cause I can see that happening.
    Here is Marvels solicitation.......notice it has the same amount of X's as letters in Xavier

X-MEN: REGENESIS #1

Written by KIERON GILLEN Penciled by BILLY TAN Cover by CHRIS BACHALO Variant Cover by MORRY HOLLOWELL

When the dust settles from the X-Men's Schism, a line has been drawn, and every mutant must choose. Who will they follow 00 XXXXXX or Wolverine? Either way, with mutantkind cut in two, things will never be the same. Setting the stage for this month's WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN #1 and November's all-new UNCANNY X-MEN #1, go through the ranks of the X-Men as they choose their destiny. 

I would really love to see The Professor in the forefront again

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    @cattlebattle: I wouldnt mind it either, though I do feel very against Cykes leaving the X-men and joining the avengers is worse IMO. He would be going down from an A-List hero/leader of the biggest franchise in Marvel to competing with Cap and we all now that would end up, he'd possibly go to a second stringer again.
    Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Baddamdog
    @god_spawn: that's true, he'd be seen as second rate compared to cap if he was in the Avengers 

either way, this has got me super excited lol
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cattlebattle
    @god_spawn said:
    @cattlebattle: I wouldnt mind it either, though I do feel very against Cykes leaving the X-men and joining the avengers is worse IMO. He would be going down from an A-List hero/leader of the biggest franchise in Marvel to competing with Cap and we all now that would end up, he'd possibly go to a second stringer again.
    oh hell yeah...Scott leaving the X-men for Avengers = terrible idea

I'm predicting the big crossover next year will have to do with the return of Jean Grey, so where ever Scott goes, he will be back in the spotlight soon enough
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    @Baddamdog: Pretty much. It's kinda pointless for him to go to the avengers. It takes all that character growth and tactical abilities he showed leading the X-men for years and years and showing how he saved the mutant race and kinda spits in the face of that while putting him back to that little B-list boring boy shooting laser beams from the back again.
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

I'm not saying he will go to Avengers but if that is premise it's just kind of a bad idea IMO.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mutant God

maybe its a team that connects mutants and avengers like Mutie Avengers: Cyclops, Storm, Iceman, Rogue
    Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Baddamdog
    @Mutant God: hmmmm now that's an idea! Like an international team of X-Men that deal with public relations and stuff
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Awesome, I knew Cap drank black coffee.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#17  Edited By xerox_kitty

It would be an odd move from "self-appointed leader of the mutant race" to "just another Avenger".  I wonder if Cyclops can take orders from someone else again??
    AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AMS
    @Baddamdog: Probably and the whole following orders instead of giving them, I dunno it would seem strange imo.
    fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    @jloneblackheart said:

Black coffee is the best. No f*ng milk or other crap in my coffee, dammit.
    CaptainUseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By CaptainUseless

I really hope he doesn't join the Avengers.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#21  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@fesak: Amen

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Bestostero

I would be ok with this.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By ReVamp
    @xerox_kitty said:

It would be an odd move from "self-appointed leader of the mutant race" to "just another Avenger".  I wonder if Cyclops can take orders from someone else again??

@AMS said:

It would be good imo but I get the feeling he would get made to look like a chump and second stringer over time especially next to Capt.

@god_spawn said:

At this point he is the X-men. Him leaving to join the Avengers is a bad idea. And Wolverine is already on the Avengers, i doubt he will be kicked off the team too considering how big of a cash cow he is. Why take him off his team and put him on another with the guy by the end of this event that he is fighting with? Wolverine i can see leaving the X-men, Cykes I can't and atleast Wolverine would be on one of his other teams.

This. Not a good idea. At all. 
    Worse than the whole DC reboot. Put together
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fodigg
    @fesak said:
    @jloneblackheart said:

Black coffee is the best. No f*ng milk or other crap in my coffee, dammit.
    /agreed 

Also, I think Cyclops would be an interesting choice for the Avengers. We'd get to see how he is being essentially 'demoted.'
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By John Valentine

I really hope he doesn't join The Avengers.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By IrishX

I'd say the odds of Cyclops joining the Avengers are slim.

VesKaGan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By VesKaGan
    @IrishX: what a pun :o)
    One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By One_Eye
    @Baddamdog: I'm curious myself....I mean at least I know that he isn't going to die. Thanks heavens. I was thinking that Scott would go on hiatus. However, whatever happens I want him leading at the end of the day.

@god_spawn: I agree. That would place him on a team with Beast((whom left due to X-Force...and not being rescued in time...?But is part of the Secret Avengers...)) and Wolverine, who of course know is going to be at odds with Scott. It's going to be interesting...
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Gambit1024

Well... 

Seeing as how Bucky's probably going to bite it in Siege and Steve will be Captain America from now on, it makes sense that Steve will replace Bucky on the main Avengers team. That being said, he can't lead them and his Secret Avengers all at the same time (there's a difference between leading a team and just being on one), so maybe, just maybe, he'll ask Cyclops to take on that role.  

A little far fetched, but that's my theory about Cyclops being an Avenger. 

But my personal opinion? Cyclops doesn't survive Schism. 

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By daredevil21134

BLADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for apatheticavenger
    ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#31  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

I doubt Cyke will bite the dust at the end of Schism (he's simply too important a character in the Marvel Universe), but him taking a hiatus from the X-Men wouldn't be too hard to believe. He may simply wish to take time away from having the weight of the mutant race on his shoulders.

Cyclops is a natural choice to be a leader in the Avengers, he's someone that Steve Rogers greatly respects as a commander and strategist. Steve will remain Top Cop and overall commander of the Avengers (becoming Captain America again after Bucky's death and personally leading the Secret Avengers), with Cyclops acting as a team leader.

I foresee Cyclops still being a part of the X-Men, just taking a behind-the-scenes leadership role similar to Xavier in the early days of the team. He will trust Emma with leading the team as they attempt to create a more media-friendly public image for the X-Men, and mutants in general (think Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men).

So Cyclops will remain in a leadership role among the X-Men, he just won't be in the spotlight as the mutant authority (that will be Emma, with Magneto and Xavier as her top advisers), instead he will be a lead Avenger working alongside Steve Rogers as Captain America. Being former leader of the mutant race, Cyclops becoming an Avenger would be an ideal way to boost positive perception of mutants worldwide. I also predict that Wolverine will end up leaving the Avengers to focus on leading his own X-Men team.

RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RedHoodJT

I think that the picture of Steve looking at all the photos of characters he is interested in might lead to him choosing a couple. I don't think that Blade will be one of them because Blade just doesn't fit the bill. Scott leading the Secret Avengers would be awesome and I could totally see that happening especially Steve going back to being Cap. I can see Cap still being the head honcho and giving the orders but it would be just like Professor X's guidance to Scott in the beginning of the X-Men. Where Cap is there giving the orders of the missions but letting Scott figure out how to handle it on his own.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By tg1982
    @jloneblackheart said:

Ofcourse Cap drinks black coffee.. that's how real soldiers take it!
    Lokheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lokheit

I think it would be bad for the development of the character at this point to be part of a not-mutant group and also not taking a leadership role on a team. 

BTW from where are those images with Wolverine and Emma and the dark sillouetes? I though that Cannonball would join the "pro-cyke" group but he is obviously on the other side.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By CellphoneGirl

I don't see why Scott would join the Avengers.. Especially with Wolverine being on like two of the teams lol 

With Emma leading the X-Men i'd rather just see Scott being a character who just does a Wolverine and goes off somewhere taking a break rather than being an Avenger. It would be as pointless as having Red Hulk on the Avengers when they could have so many other better members instead IMO.

Tchokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By Tchokes
    @xerox_kitty said:

I agree with you. However, although strange, it could be a move to enhance mutant PR, to have the ex-leader of the X-Men chilling with the Avengers for some time. If Emma is indeed leading the other half, then I could see him trusting her with his team, and going forward to the Avengers as a symbol, more than anything else. I don't like it, but pretty much 98% of Schism has been shit so far, so... who knows? Could be far worse.
    evildupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By evildupe

I may not like Cyclops as much as I used to (pre X-factor was his high point for me) but I don't want to see him dead. Truth be told, I'd like to see more of the Madrox/Cyclops conflict fleshed out. There's an animosity there and I'd like it to grow, or maybe even mend. As an Avenger... that makes sense. Wolverine was an Avenger, Prof. X is always in their books too. Cyclops as an Avenger, I think, is a serious downgrade. If they give him his own book, I may consider reading it. But right now, the only book I really buy is X-Factor.

darth_fletcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By darth_fletcher

Cyclops is probably the 2nd best team leader after Steve Rogers himself, i think he'd make a great avenger and could even lead secret avengers if Cap returns to the normal Avengers team !!!

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#39  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @xerox_kitty said:

tut tut tut 

no such thing as just another avenger. i for one would enjoy seeing Scott with the avengers, itd be nice to see how he interacts with other people besides the x-characters all the time
    Aero_gt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Aero_gt

im indifferent about the whole subject.

jakeeboi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By jakeeboi17

Personally I think it would be good if he joined the Avengers, even for just a small time, for a couple of reasons. The first being that he would be knocked down a peg or two (which needs to happen so badly) as he wouldn't be the leader or the 'head' of the team, he'd be somewhere down the bottom as he isn't a highly established Avenger yet, so he would have to be taking orders rather than dishing them out to everyone he can get his hands on. Secondly, it would be good for him to go, in order to let some other X-Men have some more spotlight time to be honest, and maybe even let someone else's leadership skills shine through more than what they already have (Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Rogue, Colossus)

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By Dex_Starr

I'd read it. 

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

but...why? it would be a downgrade imo, leaving his position as leader of a rapidly decreasing mutant race just to join a superhero team that really any other person could fill?

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#44  Edited By Samimista
    @god_spawn said:
    Agreed.
    darth_fletcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By darth_fletcher
    @Samimista said:
    @god_spawn said:
    Agreed.
    I'd rather read Cyclops in Avengers than Wolverine, I think he's much better suited for the role plus Wolverine is in way too many comics at the minute !!!
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    @darth_fletcher said:
    @Samimista said:
    @god_spawn said:
    Agreed.
    I'd rather read Cyclops in Avengers than Wolverine, I think he's much better suited for the role plus Wolverine is in way too many comics at the minute !!!
    Why is he much better suited for the role? Wolverine has never been a second string character but he doesn't scream mutant messiah like Scott does and I doubt he could what Scott has to the same extent. I know Wolverine is smart and is a good leader but for a smaller team like X-force, for the entire X-men no.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#47  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @god_spawn said:
    @darth_fletcher said:
    @Samimista said:
    @god_spawn said:
    Agreed.
    Why is he much better suited for the role? Wolverine has never been a second string character but he doesn't scream mutant messiah like Scott does and I doubt he could what Scott has to the same extent. I know Wolverine is smart and is a good leader but for a smaller team like X-force, for the entire X-men no.
    Cyclops is actually a good fit for the Avengers in the respect that, unlike Logan, he isn't a poster child for mutant violence. He's not as outwardly mutated as Beast, but it's clear he's still a mutant. His role in the team would make sense from an integrationist perspective, the problem would be that, as you said, he's the Mutant Messiah, and that he's the greatest leader in the MU, but it's doubtful he'd be leading the Avengers.
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @god_spawn said:
    @darth_fletcher said:
    @Samimista said:
    @god_spawn said:
    Agreed.
    Cyclops is actually a good fit for the Avengers in the respect that, unlike Logan, he isn't a poster child for mutant violence. He's not as outwardly mutated as Beast, but it's clear he's still a mutant. His role in the team would make sense from an integrationist perspective, the problem would be that, as you said, he's the Mutant Messiah, and that he's the greatest leader in the MU, but it's doubtful he'd be leading the Avengers.
    And that's the problem I see. You do have a point that he has the look for the avengers, but Wolverine IMO is more of a solo or a team guy, not necessarily a leader guy for a bigger picture. Like I said something small like X-force, Logan is the best choice for leader for it, but for a large team I don't see Wolverine as a leader. Wolverine is great on his own or as a member of a team which is why I could see him on the Avengers over Scott. Scott if he does step down IMO would be like going back down to boring 2nd-3rd stringer days before he evolved and stepped it up becoming the leader he is today. Cykes on the Avengers would be playing second fiddle next to guys like Cap and Tony.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#49  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @god_spawn: Yep, which is why the whole thing is just an exercise in character-assassination. Scott'll be the the scapegoat for the disaster that is Utopia, like Sentry was for SI/DR/Siege. Marvel will screw him over to appease the disenfranchised X-Fans.
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @god_spawn: Yep, which is why the whole thing is just an exercise in character-assassination. Scott'll be the the scapegoat for the disaster that is Utopia, like Sentry was for SI/DR/Siege. Marvel will screw him over to appease the disenfranchised X-Fans.
    I still doubt they are gonna kill Scott after Schism and X-men just seems like it's getting relaunched, since there will be Uncanny X-men 1 and Wolverine and the X-men. An old interview back in June says they arent about killing people in the X-men or taking big players off the board. I don't think what you have in mind is gonna happen, just seems to destructive and deconstructive IMO.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.