cyclops powers

#1 Posted by ward04 (139 posts) - - Show Bio

Will he ever get more of them or ever get them increased 
it feels like everybodys powers have increased or changed except him 

what do you think

#2 Posted by Psyker star (3492 posts) - - Show Bio

hes fine the way he is

#3 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

nope. didnt decrease. Cyclops is character who holds back all the time.
his true "limit" is ridiculous. id like to see writers have him do more of what he's
actually capable with it, for example, he was shown once absorbing a differant kind
of energy and letting out a differant beam as a result. also the way his powers
are actually explained and the science behind that give way to a whole slew of possibilities
if the writers would actually use them.

#4 Posted by paffa34 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see him using a different wavelength of optic blast, that could be interesting.

#5 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not a bad question, really.  Considering the amount of characters who have increases, wider-ranges of uses, and even secondary mutations, Cyclops is one of those rare characters who hasn't really changed.  However, for his powers to change in any way means gaining control over them... and I don't think I'm ready for the visor-less Cyclops ;)

#6 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe not without his visor  
but if could change the type of beam emitted  he could be so much more powerful...

maybe enable him to temporalily increase the intensity of the blast, putting in 110% you could say 
and then have a drain,which would also enable to see without his visor for a short period

#7 Posted by robbiesol (474 posts) - - Show Bio
@hdorman1 said:
"

maybe not without his visor  
but if could change the type of beam emitted  he could be so much more powerful...

maybe enable him to temporalily increase the intensity of the blast, putting in 110% you could say 
and then have a drain,which would also enable to see without his visor for a short period

"

Not a bad idea.  I could roll with a Cyke power upgrade.  Easiest thing to do is give him a "heat" variation to his optic blast.  Some movies (looking at your Origins) and cartoons already mistake his power as heat based (burning paper?!?!?) and it wouldn't be a stretch that he changes the solar energy he absorbs into solar flare/plasma/heat blasts if the situation warrants it.  

Then he could mix it up between old school concussive force and solar flare blast.  I could even roll with your idea of draining him for a limited time if he uses the (maybe) more powerful heat based one.

#8 Posted by Niko04 (297 posts) - - Show Bio

it is getting kind of old seeing the same ol thing
#9 Posted by Indianmagik (22 posts) - - Show Bio

true but if you look at the base for cyke's power he could almost be able to replicate superman abilities being as his body absorbs solar energy from the sun, the optic blasts are just how his body metabolizes it if that changed into something more he would become just another over powered character... and thats hard for me to say cause i've been a cyke fan since i was a kid, but i don't want to see him get ruined by some overpowering though it would be awesome to see him really put wolverine down
#10 Posted by gambit18 (62 posts) - - Show Bio

scott powerful? not exaggerate the level is normal,many of his friends are much more powerful than scott, to be asked to super strong / invulnerable who has never managed to damage them.

#11 Posted by Tian (149 posts) - - Show Bio

Something I don't get... Some people post scans that Cyclops Optic blast travel at the speed of light... If that's true... Then shouldn't it be like a FTL punch by the Flash and destroy everything in the way?

#12 Edited by Lupine (750 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tian said:

" Something I don't get... Some people post scans that Cyclops Optic blast travel at the speed of light... If that's true... Then shouldn't it be like a FTL punch by the Flash and destroy everything in the way? "

If the Flash is punching you, then he's moving and reacting at the speed of light or even faster given that he's the freaking Flash. Moving and reacting at high speed. Meanwhile Cyclops's blast is a projectile and when it's fired you have a pretty good idea of how or where it's aimed. Or at least you do so long as you can somewhat predict the strategy that's in Scotts mind at the moment or (debatably fast enough to dodge). Besides it's been argued before that the blasts aren't light speed and also argued that they are; again while I've followed the character, I've never gotten into those kinds of details before coming to the vine, so I can't say one way or another and I never argue the speed of the blasts. 

What I can say is that they have been dodged before, and Cyke himself has planned before to have his blasts dodged (i.e. Aiming it just so that after the miss, the blast bounces off of something else to hit the character that dodged). Likewise every Cyclops blast is not created equal. Cyke can hold a blast and make it keep hitting into a target in a long drawn out blast, he can fire quick short blasts, he can widen a blast, or even narrow it down into a relatively more focused blast.  Too many people forget that Cyke's blasts aren't only manipulated by his visor which they can be (like closing a dam on a rush of water) but aren't always or even very often, but they are also manipulated by Cyclops's eye lids, even the focus and width of his eyes or rather the apertures within his eyes.

Cyke can do lots of things with the powers he currently has. 

P.S. I have to say I like the heat idea or maybe even just the more applications. Either way so long as it isn't a big change I think it could only make Scott cooler as a character and I'd be lying if I said I didn't already think he was awesome.
#13 Posted by Tian (149 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lupine:  
" If the Flash is punching you, then he's moving and reacting at the speed of light or even faster given that he's the freaking Flash. Moving and reacting at high speed. Meanwhile Cyclops's blast is a projectile and when it's fired you have a pretty good idea of how or where it's aimed. Or at least you do so long as you can somewhat predict the strategy that's in Scotts mind at the moment or (debatably fast enough to dodge). Besides it's been argued before that the blasts aren't light speed and also argued that they are; again while I've followed the character, I've never gotten into those kinds of details before coming to the vine, so I can't say one way or another and I never argue the speed of the blasts. " 

I wasn't talking about the ability to dodge a punch from the Flash, or a shot that can be anticipated from Cyclops. I was talking about the destructive force itself when getting hit by something that is moving at light speed. 
#14 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tian: 
interesting. and that being light speed moving kinetic force, it should act somewhat like a friction drill.

* noting at this thread, while Cykes optic beams contain no heat, he can use them to create it.
another thing alot of writers dont acknowledge. alot of times when something is struck for nay
duration by his beams, or by ones used by say Mimic, theres smoke coming off from friction burn.
#15 Posted by Lupine (750 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tian said:
" @Lupine:  " If the Flash is punching you, then he's moving and reacting at the speed of light or even faster given that he's the freaking Flash. Moving and reacting at high speed. Meanwhile Cyclops's blast is a projectile and when it's fired you have a pretty good idea of how or where it's aimed. Or at least you do so long as you can somewhat predict the strategy that's in Scotts mind at the moment or (debatably fast enough to dodge). Besides it's been argued before that the blasts aren't light speed and also argued that they are; again while I've followed the character, I've never gotten into those kinds of details before coming to the vine, so I can't say one way or another and I never argue the speed of the blasts. "  I wasn't talking about the ability to dodge a punch from the Flash, or a shot that can be anticipated from Cyclops. I was talking about the destructive force itself when getting hit by something that is moving at light speed.  "
Ah. Excuse me for taking your comment the wrong way.  

@CATMANEXE said:
" @Tian:  interesting. and that being light speed moving kinetic force, it should act somewhat like a friction drill.  * noting at this thread, while Cykes optic beams contain no heat, he can use them to create it. another thing alot of writers dont acknowledge. alot of times when something is struck for nay duration by his beams, or by ones used by say Mimic, theres smoke coming off from friction burn. "
True enough.  

In my mind that's exactly what it would be. It's a sustained kinetic impact, so friction is logical, but I know what other people mean too. I've seen it incorrectly portrayed as if it were a laser or perhaps something akin to Superman's heat vision.  
#16 Edited by BlackArmor (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops does need secondary powers but they need to be like angel's and iceman's subtle but helpful not like jean's and beast's really really obvious and completly style changing it needs to be something hes constantly doing or can do without drawing to much extra attention it definitly shouldnt really effect how he physically looks it needs to be the kinda thing he can use at any given time for phenominal effect but doesnt draw negative feedback for completely changing the charecter like beast catform does. Heat beams fit the bill but since he can already kinda do that it seems like a waste (Foarce aka his beams + Friction aka rubbing against the target = Heat) I wouldnt hate him getting heat beams but i think it should have more to do with the psionic feild surrounding his body mabey it gives him limitted invulnrability mabey it gives enhanced strength but as long as it doesnt glow red i like it

#17 Posted by TransgressionsofSociety (195 posts) - - Show Bio

I think his beams should just get more concussive force.  Or maybe a different kind of beam...

#18 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

His secondary mutation is making hot, telepathic chicks fall in love with him. ;)

#19 Posted by Andy Steven Summers (5232 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85 said:

His secondary mutation is making hot, telepathic chicks fall in love with him. ;)

LOL

#20 Edited by Invisible_Witch (312 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the heat idea..

#21 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

The individual powers of the Summers brothers are too similar, for the writers to allow Scott to develop his mutation.

#22 Posted by Mercy_ (92686 posts) - - Show Bio

@royale_with_cheese said:

The individual powers of the Summers brothers are too similar, for the writers to allow Scott to develop his mutation.

What do you mean too similar? Other than them each manipulating energy in some degree, there's not an overt amount of similarity. They all manifest it in different ways and all have different control issues with it (other than Vulcan, who is ridiculously OP).

#23 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

What do you mean too similar? Other than them each manipulating energy in some degree, there's not an overt amount of similarity. They all manifest it in different ways and all have different control issues with it (other than Vulcan, who is ridiculously OP).

That's exactly what I mean. At some point or another, all three Summers will be shooting the same type of energy from all over their body. Hell, they'll probably end up being able to siphon cosmic energy (if Vulcan and Havok haven't already been able to).

#24 Posted by Mercy_ (92686 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

That's exactly what I mean. At some point or another, all three Summers will be shooting the same type of energy from all over their body. Hell, they'll probably end up being able to siphon cosmic energy (if Vulcan and Havok haven't already been able to).

I kind of like that, though. It's energy, there's an endless amount of things that can be done with it to differentiate the three and I feel that the writers do a good job of balancing between three brothers having a similar power, which kind of makes sense (despite other mutant families like the Guthries having different powers, although the Frosts all have psionic powers of some sort).

And Havok did use the power of a star going supernova (or something like that) to basically sun dip himself after being near death and then proceed to help take on Vulcan (this was during either Rise and Fall or War of Kings).

#25 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anybody know when the source of Scott's powers was changed from sunlight to energies from another dimension?

#26 Posted by God_Spawn (37740 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

This. Energy manipulation is just a general term and they are family meaning their mutations should more than likely be similar despite being fairly different. They all have different applications with their abilities despite sharing a projection ability. It's like saying Karate Kid, Deadpool and Stephanie Brown are too similar in martial arts just because they can all throw a punch.

#27 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

This. Energy manipulation is just a general term and they are family meaning their mutations should more than likely be similar despite being fairly different. They all have different applications with their abilities despite sharing a projection ability. It's like saying Karate Kid, Deadpool and Stephanie Brown are too similar in martial arts just because they can all throw a punch.

Yeah, but Karate Kid, Deadpool and Stephanie Brown have no relations to each other whatsoever, whereas Scott, Alex and Gabriel are brothers. Plus, martial arts is a skill that can be learned, whereas energy projection is a power. I just don't want them to end up like Wolverine, Daken and X-23 you know?

#28 Posted by God_Spawn (37740 posts) - - Show Bio

@royale_with_cheese: I see your point, but I think your whole argument is based off a general ability they share in energy projection. They have far different applications with their powers.

Cyclops: Extradimensional optic blasts from his eyes, no heat, concussive force and ricochet shots and spatial awareness if you count it as a power. Cyclops' powers in a nutshell. Also immune to his own and Havok;s blasts but not Vulcan.

Havok: Ambient cosmic energy conversion to the point he can sundip so to speak. Heated plasma blasts with varying effects depending on his level used such as concussion from air molecule displacement, disintegration, explode etc that can be expelled from any direction of his body, ability to propel himself, minor forcefields IIRC. Immune to Cyclops' blasts but not Vulcan's.

Vulcan: Energy absorption from almost any source, energy manipulation, flight, power suppression, forcefields and Vulcan had a lot of uses.

Now lets look at the Wolverine family.

Wolverine: Enhanced stats+senses, healing, claws MA ability.

X-23: Enhanced stats+ senses, healing, claws, MA ability.

Daken: Enhanced stats+ senses, healing, claws, MA ability, pheromones.

Sooo the Summers brothers have the same basis in their abilities because they are family but have different types of energy, have for the majority, different applications with their powers, have different extremes to their powers and they are too similar? So you compare them to the Wolverine family who are basically the same in every way save for Daken who has pheromones? That is one difference apart from the others. Cyclops does none of the thinks Havok or Vulcan except shoot a type of energy, Havok can't fly, can't suppress mutant powers, can't absorb the energies to the degree Vulcan can, and can project only minor heated force fields if I'm not mistaken. They are only similar in a very general sense vs Wolverine's family who is similar in a very specific sense.

#29 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85 said:

Does anybody know when the source of Scott's powers was changed from sunlight to energies from another dimension?

I guess not.

#30 Posted by God_Spawn (37740 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85: Send a message to ApethicAvenger, FadetoBlackbolt, or Ferro Vida. Those are the 3 other guys off the top of my head cause idk the answer off the top of my head.

#31 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: I figured you'd know the answer too.

#32 Posted by Soulstealer (825 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@royale_with_cheese: I see your point, but I think your whole argument is based off a general ability they share in energy projection. They have far different applications with their powers.

Cyclops: Extradimensional optic blasts from his eyes, no heat, concussive force and ricochet shots and spatial awareness if you count it as a power. Cyclops' powers in a nutshell. Also immune to his own and Havok;s blasts but not Vulcan.

Havok: Ambient cosmic energy conversion to the point he can sundip so to speak. Heated plasma blasts with varying effects depending on his level used such as concussion from air molecule displacement, disintegration, explode etc that can be expelled from any direction of his body, ability to propel himself, minor forcefields IIRC. Immune to Cyclops' blasts but not Vulcan's.

Vulcan: Energy absorption from almost any source, energy manipulation, flight, power suppression, forcefields and Vulcan had a lot of uses.

Now lets look at the Wolverine family.

Wolverine: Enhanced stats+senses, healing, claws MA ability.

X-23: Enhanced stats+ senses, healing, claws, MA ability.

Daken: Enhanced stats+ senses, healing, claws, MA ability, pheromones.

Sooo the Summers brothers have the same basis in their abilities because they are family but have different types of energy, have for the majority, different applications with their powers, have different extremes to their powers and they are too similar? So you compare them to the Wolverine family who are basically the same in every way save for Daken who has pheromones? That is one difference apart from the others. Cyclops does none of the thinks Havok or Vulcan except shoot a type of energy, Havok can't fly, can't suppress mutant powers, can't absorb the energies to the degree Vulcan can, and can project only minor heated force fields if I'm not mistaken. They are only similar in a very general sense vs Wolverine's family who is similar in a very specific sense.

I hate to be that guy, but is Scott's immunity to his own powers still in effect because I've seen a few instances recently that made me go all Comic Book Guy on them at first but then consider that maybe they've decided to change it. I hope you don't mind me asking.

#33 Posted by The Finality (133 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Summers is one of those rare comic book characters that kept a power and hasnt changed in the 30 or whatever many years. He's got that one power, one ability and thanks to Xavier's training, he's learned what to do with that one power to make it badass. I dont think he needs a power upgrade. Cyclops can do all the things that @Lupine was talking about. Plus, how about his talent for his banked shots? In The X-Men's battle with Murderworld he caused one optic blast to ricochet off 7 different assailents, each one destroyed before his beam leapt to the next target. Or in Schism when Scott and Logan were fighting in close combat and Scott shot a blast at the ground that bounced up and hit Logan in the face? Cyclops can use his blasts to tunnel through rock to get to underground fortresses, as well as use the raw concussive properties to literally push large objects a distance. (I remember an issue where Scott used his beam to push two boulders up at distant enemies. The early explanations for Cyke's powers were that his body absorbs solar energy which he can absorb and then convert to his optic blasts, but I prefer the more recent explanation: That his eyes are portals to another dimension made of this energy, and when he opens his eyes he sends that destructive energy out. That sounds way more badass. I agree that a lot people look at the abilities of the X-Men, especially from the second line-up onwards, and say oh, it's just Cyclops. It's just laser eyes. How lame. Well, guess what? Even if you got one power, it's how you use that power that makes a difference. And let's not forget Scott's amazing talent for leadership and strategy. He's a soldier. And there's a reason why he's been the leader of many a team over the years. He's just that awesome. :)

#34 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Finality said:

Scott Summers is one of those rare comic book characters that kept a power and hasnt changed in the 30 or whatever many years. He's got that one power, one ability and thanks to Xavier's training, he's learned what to do with that one power to make it badass. I dont think he needs a power upgrade. Cyclops can do all the things that @Lupine was talking about. Plus, how about his talent for his banked shots? In The X-Men's battle with Murderworld he caused one optic blast to ricochet off 7 different assailents, each one destroyed before his beam leapt to the next target. Or in Schism when Scott and Logan were fighting in close combat and Scott shot a blast at the ground that bounced up and hit Logan in the face? Cyclops can use his blasts to tunnel through rock to get to underground fortresses, as well as use the raw concussive properties to literally push large objects a distance. (I remember an issue where Scott used his beam to push two boulders up at distant enemies. The early explanations for Cyke's powers were that his body absorbs solar energy which he can absorb and then convert to his optic blasts, but I prefer the more recent explanation: That his eyes are portals to another dimension made of this energy, and when he opens his eyes he sends that destructive energy out. That sounds way more badass. I agree that a lot people look at the abilities of the X-Men, especially from the second line-up onwards, and say oh, it's just Cyclops. It's just laser eyes. How lame. Well, guess what? Even if you got one power, it's how you use that power that makes a difference. And let's not forget Scott's amazing talent for leadership and strategy. He's a soldier. And there's a reason why he's been the leader of many a team over the years. He's just that awesome. :)

When was this change made and who was the writer that did it?

#35 Posted by The Finality (133 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85 I'm not sure when the change was made or who the writer was that did it, but I wouldn't put it past Joss Whedon or Grant Morrison to come up with something like that.

#36 Posted by vicioushero (163 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Finality said:

Couldn't a said it better. I wouldn't mind if they made his blast stronger. omega style, but no extra powers though. Scott > James

#37 Posted by The Finality (133 posts) - - Show Bio

@vicioushero By James I take it you mean Logan? I know his real name's been revealed for a while now, but he's still Logan to me :P On that note, i like Wolverine, and thanks to Claremont, he became the biggest X-Man, but Cyclops is just so cool when used right. His love history with Madelyne and Jean and Phoenix is complicated, as is his family tree (including the fact that it branches into alternative dimensions), but I think of the X-Men, I think of Cyclops. Like my favorite teams are the ones that he's the fearless leader, and Wolverine is the badass who defies him time to time, flirts with the leader's girl, but ultimately the two respect eachother and when they actually work together, they accomplish so much more good together than apart. And then after their brief bro moment, they can't stand eachother again. I really like their dichotomy and relationship as characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.